L.A. Conservancy issues historic pres...

L.A. Conservancy issues historic preservation report card

There are 7 comments on the Pasadena Star-News story from Feb 8, 2009, titled L.A. Conservancy issues historic preservation report card. In it, Pasadena Star-News reports that:

Opening day at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia in 2006. The L.A. Conservancy recently issued historical preservation report cards; Many cities received "F"grades. The report said Arcadia, along with every city in ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pasadena Star-News.

Prof Preservation

Mount Pleasant, SC

#1 Feb 8, 2009
The naive comments of the individuals from the cities that received "F" grades belie their supposed historic preservation knowledge. There is indeed a very big difference between a local historical register and the national version. Having a few historical sites run by volunteers and a few buildings on the National Register does not a preservation program make. You wouldn't have a city clerk or a volunteer build a skyscraper, yet these cities apparently think that the term "professional" and historic preservation are mutually exclusive of each other and that to engage in historic preservation all one need do is say "I love old buildings." (Or in a similar sense, have the equivalent of "I love old buildings" in some dusty master plan.) Get with the program and hire some preservation planners who know about something about these topics and actually have a degree in historic preservation, preferably at the master's level.
DaVinner

Monrovia, CA

#2 Feb 8, 2009
The L.A. Conservancy is a meaningless non-entity, and no value should be placed in its proclamations.
No Preservation in TC

Honolulu, HI

#3 Feb 8, 2009
With all due respect to Joe Lambert of Temple City, the city has made NO effort to preserve local landmarks. Although there is a large number of homes built after WWII, there is a solid number of homes built after the town was formed in 1923, and particularly noteworthy buildings exist near Las Tunas Drive.
Alhambran

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Feb 9, 2009
These city yokels just don't get it. Prof Preservation said it succinctly. Conserving means having protection measures in place and that are written into local ordinances.

Our city (Alhambra) has absolutely NOTHING to protect historic structures as evident by the loss of countless pre-1930 homes replaced by massive overbuilding and a city essentially made up of condos, apartments and empty car lots. The visionary politicos such as those in Pasadena, etc., knew this way back when and that's why their cities are thriving, while developer lackeys that run our city (Alhambra) that have had their heads planted deep in between, continue to refuse to enact any protection measures (i.e., Mills Act, Historic Zones, etc) because it would thwart the plans of their campaign financiers.
no way

Los Angeles, CA

#5 Feb 9, 2009
Just what we need to do, hire some overpaid museum docent just to get a "good" grade from some single issue organization. Get real.
Prof Preservation

Mount Pleasant, SC

#6 Feb 9, 2009
To no way:

The term "historic preservation" is an unfortunate one that makes it all too easy to lump preservation planners into the same boat as museum curators. A museum and the built environment are very different creatures which require different approaches. In the built environment, preservation (or the term which I prefer better--built environment conservation) is an economic development tool which links extremely well with sustainability, green building practices, and place making. Preservation of the built environment ultimately is a tool that generates jobs, keeps more money in the local economy, and increases quality of life. It's not about turning the landscape into a museum because that approach doesn't work.
Old Wino

Panorama City, CA

#7 Apr 6, 2013
Preserve this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Pasadena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
keep 1 word drop 1 word game (Jan '12) 1 hr Alyssa76 53
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 1 hr Alyssa76 16
Wow 4 hr Marked 1
Aint that tuff enuff ! 6 hr The smiths 1
Kountry Girlz 8 hr Jessica 1
2Pac 13 hr Dave 2
Obama, Letterman, NY Jail Darpa Att. Invisibl... 14 hr Hornhead 1

South Pasadena Jobs

Personal Finance

South Pasadena Mortgages