Pasadena High student collects signat...

Pasadena High student collects signatures to save her music tea...

There are 147 comments on the Pasadena Star-News story from Apr 23, 2010, titled Pasadena High student collects signatures to save her music tea.... In it, Pasadena Star-News reports that:

Pasadena High School teacher Lavone Barnett-Seetal got a huge surprise Friday. She learned that one of her students, Emily Abadjian, collected 1,000 signatures on a petition to save her job as a music teacher at PHS.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pasadena Star-News.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
PUSD Sucks

Firebaugh, CA

#1 Apr 23, 2010
If she had collected $5 from everyone that supposedly signed the petition then she could have saved the teachers job. But most PUSD parents don't want to contribute even ten cents to the PUSD.

They want you and me to pay for a free education for their kids.

Measure CC...homeowners pay 81% of the tax...renters pay nothing.

“Fly low and avoid the penguins”

Since: Dec 09

Pasadena

#2 Apr 23, 2010
PUSD Sucks wrote:
If she had collected $5 from everyone that supposedly signed the petition then she could have saved the teachers job. But most PUSD parents don't want to contribute even ten cents to the PUSD.
They want you and me to pay for a free education for their kids.
Measure CC...homeowners pay 81% of the tax...renters pay nothing.
So....9:00 on a Friday....Posting from North Hollywood......How many rentals do you have in Pasadena?
PUSD Sucks

Firebaugh, CA

#3 Apr 23, 2010
actually as I am sure u know the autolocation feature of topix is based on IP addresses which are not always geographically possible to locate. I live in Pasadena. Also, if I owned rentals I would be for Measure A since apartment owners pay virtually nothing.
PUSD Sucks

Firebaugh, CA

#4 Apr 23, 2010
Measure CC that is...since, unlike South Pasadena, there is no per apartment unit assessment.

Pasadena

#5 Apr 23, 2010
So, are you paid to comment on these these measures? Doing a quick search, I discovered there are two Measure A ballot initiatives for parcel taxes in support of schools. One in Santa Clara County, and one in San Mateo.

Hmmmm.....What a coincidincky!
PUSD Sucks

Firebaugh, CA

#6 Apr 23, 2010
the only people being paid according to the pasadena star-news are Yes on Measure A phone bankers and precinct walkers.
PUSD Sucks

Firebaugh, CA

#7 Apr 23, 2010
see...now u got me doing it again...Measure Corrupt Crap (CC) I meant

Pasadena

#8 Apr 23, 2010
Wow! That Measure A sure is in the forefront of your mind.

BTW: The news can only report what they know. The No on CC group has not been forthcoming with their financials, so who knows how much they are paying you?

_Virginia_

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#9 Apr 24, 2010
PUSD Sucks wrote:
see...now u got me doing it again...Measure Corrupt Crap (CC) I meant
I can only pray that this Pasadena High School student doesn't read your derogatory comments and harsh user-name.

Awesome, PHS student, how good of you to work to save your music teacher's job.

This is real for the kids, they are affected, they are feeling the stress and worry, afraid that the parcel tax won't pass. This student is worried about the fate of her music teacher, I will pray for her sake, that her teacher will be retained, that the parcel tax will pass.

I will pray for all the the students of PUSD, pray that the community does the right thing.
jbg

United States

#10 Apr 24, 2010
Shame on you "PUSD S***" for turning a wonderful story about the efforts of a student that I happen to know into a tirade against the schools and Measure CC. I wanted to leave my congratulations for her and for her effort on behalf of a teacher she clearly respects; instead I was greeted by your "potty mouth" comments degrading our community.
And FYI, MANY parents of PUSD students actually DO contribute much more than the $120 a year to support their PUSD schools. Unfortunately parents alone can no longer make up for what the State of California has done to public education at all levels. I'm also aware of renters who wish they had a way to contribute more directly, other than by paying higher rents. So please take your stereotypes elsewehre.
Raymond Rsatch

Los Angeles, CA

#11 Apr 24, 2010
Virginia Olive Hoge wrote:
<quoted text>
I can only pray that this Pasadena High School student doesn't read your derogatory comments and harsh user-name.
Awesome, PHS student, how good of you to work to save your music teacher's job.
This is real for the kids, they are affected, they are feeling the stress and worry, afraid that the parcel tax won't pass. This student is worried about the fate of her music teacher, I will pray for her sake, that her teacher will be retained, that the parcel tax will pass.
I will pray for all the the students of PUSD, pray that the community does the right thing.
This woman is an impostor. Her real name is Sylvia Gutierrez. She should be charged with fraud.

_Virginia_

Location hidden

#12 Apr 24, 2010
jbg wrote:
Shame on you "PUSD S***" for turning a wonderful story about the efforts of a student that I happen to know into a tirade against the schools and Measure CC. I wanted to leave my congratulations for her and for her effort on behalf of a teacher she clearly respects; instead I was greeted by your "potty mouth" comments degrading our community.
And FYI, MANY parents of PUSD students actually DO contribute much more than the $120 a year to support their PUSD schools. Unfortunately parents alone can no longer make up for what the State of California has done to public education at all levels. I'm also aware of renters who wish they had a way to contribute more directly, other than by paying higher rents. So please take your stereotypes elsewehre.
Awesome, jbg. Exactly.

Take your bogus sterotypes elsewhere naysayers!!
Upset parent

United States

#15 Apr 25, 2010
Raymond, Do YOU know the student personally? Do you KNOW that the student voted 'no'? Please don't presume to speak for her, or to put down her attempt to show support for her teacher.

I DO happen to know the student and I know that the student is not yet old enough to vote. I also know that her family is deeply committed to supporting public education. Please take your negative comments elsewhere!
Upset parent

United States

#17 Apr 26, 2010
I'm sorry you chose to respond to me in this way. I am certainly not a cry baby, nor am I drinking kool aid.

I will state again that the STUDENT is not old enough to vote. Perhaps her parents voted, but she could not.

Please do not respond to me again. I will no longer be checking this thread.
Russman626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Upset parent, stop being such a cry baby! I DO DO happen to know that student, too, AND I happen to know the truth because apparently that student chose not to confide in YOU because maybe just maybe you are too much of a cry baby and don't understand teenagers.
And, I am not putting down the student's support of the teacher. The student did in fact vote NO on that parcel tax chicanery and instead chose to show her support by collecting signatures.
Go tell your big stories to some other fool because we are not drinking the kool aid here!
Raymond Rsatch

Sacramento, CA

#18 Apr 26, 2010
Upset parent wrote:
I'm sorry you chose to respond to me in this way. I am certainly not a cry baby, nor am I drinking kool aid.
I will state again that the STUDENT is not old enough to vote. Perhaps her parents voted, but she could not.
<quoted text>
The UPSET parent can't bear to read anymore posts and has now gone off to have a good CRY over this issue! HA HA

I guess the UPSET parent is CRYING also because the STUDENT chose to VOTE NO on CC and knew that collecting signatures was a more constructive activity than ripping off taxpayers.
Dont drink the KOOL AID

Sacramento, CA

#19 Apr 26, 2010
Upset parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, for CRYING out loud! These UPSET parents of PUSD students (probably renters or high-paid PUSD consultants!) want US to pay more taxes! No No No, you ARE drinking the kool aid. And stop your whining already!

Pasadena

#20 Apr 26, 2010
Lotta people posting from San Francisco......

Oooo! Renters and Consultants and Parents....Oh MY!!!

What I'd really like to know, is why are these people so afraid of a little parcel tax in Pasadena? What is their real agenda?
PASHOFPAL

Los Angeles, CA

#21 Apr 26, 2010
Now there's a thought....a student telling the school board what and whom she values as part of her educatioin. Outstanding!!! Maybe more students should carry clipboards.

Laurence Todd
President
www.pasadenasportshalloffame.org

_Virginia_

Location hidden

#22 Apr 26, 2010
Raymond Rsatch wrote:
<quoted text>
The UPSET parent can't bear to read anymore posts and has now gone off to have a good CRY over this issue! HA HA
I guess the UPSET parent is CRYING also because the STUDENT chose to VOTE NO on CC and knew that collecting signatures was a more constructive activity than ripping off taxpayers.
"Raymond" is bullying you here Upset parent. He is mean, isn't he?(if indeed it even is a "he"). Ignore him, he/she is only revealing to the world their depravity.

Like a little bully in the sandbox, needs to do a long time-out.

I am praying that the PHS students are not reading this thread, and seeing this childish behavior.
PHS STUDENT

Long Beach, CA

#23 Apr 26, 2010
I LIKE PIE!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Pasadena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Distribuidora Duche West 13 hr Gracilea Mond 3
News Friends of former La Puente Councilwoman Lola S... (Jan '10) 14 hr Wymandaniel45 7
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 15 hr Trojan 32,332
The Trump low down 17 hr poc proud to be poc 1
After Orlando Scams & waste loom as charity mil... 18 hr Dewey 1
News Jehovah's Witness Tells L.A. Audiences of Defyi... (May '06) 18 hr judas raphan 90
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 20 hr Hipocrit 20,505

South Pasadena Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Pasadena Mortgages