Electric Cars In Los Angeles: Chinese Carmaker Byd Co. Setting Up Shop In LA

Oct 24, 2011 Read more: The Huffington Post 39

Chinese electric carmaker BYD Co. is opening its North American headquarters in Los Angeles a hub that officials promise will bring dozens of jobs to the struggling local economy and will serve as a sales and research hub.

Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#23 Oct 31, 2011
Snowflake wrote:
Not any more, more people are buying GMs and Fords than Toyota.
Decided to trade in my daughter's Jeep Liberty and get better terms (lower monthly payments, lower insurance cost, economical to operate).
We bought a Ford.
Snowflake

San Francisco, CA

#24 Oct 31, 2011
Yes buying American is the right thing to do.
old eyes

Apple Valley, CA

#26 Oct 31, 2011
ya baby...i bough a new ford truck 2 weeks ago and i must say it's nice,great deal's right now if you pay cash...still got my dad's 59 in the back yard and that's never going out the door...never...
Snowflake

San Francisco, CA

#27 Oct 31, 2011
Ford made some great trucks .
Mars

Oman

#28 Nov 1, 2011
SonOfTC wrote:
<quoted text>
It's nothing more than the "walmart Syndrome". Places such as Walmart (and older companies like Sears, etc.) Prided themselves on offering good products at a very competetive price. They offered American made goods; often of a major manufacturer with only a different nametag. Americans got used to this and became accustomed to getting products at a discounted rate.
But then, lo and behold, IMPORTED goods started to flood into the country that were cheaper in price (and in quality). Americans had become fixated on low prices ONLY, and quality faded from the scene when it became necessary to stock cheap imported junk to keep customers.
Concurrent to this, the cost of manufacturing goods in the U.S. skyrocketed with the cost of labor and government regulations on manufacturing and emmissions. What then happens? The marketplace dictated that "low-cost" was first and foremost. So places like Walmart (who USED to buy a majority of their stock from American manufacturers) shifted to stocking their shelves with cheap cr@p made in China and other third world countries with no environmental laws and rock bottom labor costs. Viola! The destruction of American manufacturing was complete!
Now, the companies formerly making the goods for Walmart and their ilk went out of business, throwing the employees into the street. Now Walmart had created a "sufdom" of economically depressed and underemployed people that could only afford to shop there because the prices are so low.
Applying the same pricipals to the Chinese electric car manufacturer that is coming to town, no one will invest mega-bucks in a Honda or other electric or hybrid car as long as they can get a $12,000 cheap piece of cr@p made by the Chinese. And where is the money going to go? It's back to China, not America.
So that's the short story on why stuff like this is bad for the US: Buy Chinese and kill an American job.
Thanks for the explanation. Here’s what I think:

1. First, as to how American manufacturing has been destroyed is indeed a long story. My question is can you put all the blame on China and other 3rd world countries? Especially if it’s given that low-price is the key success factor in America as you say, the American manufacturers should have been able to work around it. Now if you can’t compete with other lower labour cost countries, the least Wallmart et al can do is a better quality control.
2. As the invisible hands dictates, where there’s a demand, there must be supply following. So, as long as there’re low(er) income people as there’ll always be, the cheap goods will also be always in demand. If they’re not from China, they’ll be from any country else. I notice this already in the fashion industry, there’re more and more cheap and chic clothes made in India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Indonesia….
3. BYD is half-owned by American interests. So I suppose the pricing strategy must have been made jointly. If this strategy works, the cash will flow to the US too; however to the wealthy individual investor(s) mostly (again). If it doesn’t work for immediate sales, at least it gives BYD a direct exposure to the US electric car market. So a good move I would say to be there.
Mars

Oman

#29 Nov 1, 2011
Toyota wrote:
<quoted text> True that Japanese automakers are not perfect, but we are still ranked tops in quality.
Is there such a list of top quality car-makers? or you're saying by # of cars sold? By that, I can confirm the Japanese (and also South Korean) cars are very popular here - good value for money, durable, attractive after-sale service packages.
Fordless

Saltillo, MS

#30 Nov 1, 2011
Snowflake wrote:
Ford made some great trucks .
Yes and they also make the pinto which burst into flames on the road.
Snowflake

San Francisco, CA

#31 Nov 1, 2011
I have a Ford and it is a great car--Fusion.

Since: Jul 11

Los Angeles, CA

#32 Nov 1, 2011
Mars wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the explanation. Here’s what I think:
1. First, as to how American manufacturing has been destroyed is indeed a long story. My question is can you put all the blame on China and other 3rd world countries? Especially if it’s given that low-price is the key success factor in America as you say, the American manufacturers should have been able to work around it. Now if you can’t compete with other lower labour cost countries, the least Wallmart et al can do is a better quality control.
2. As the invisible hands dictates, where there’s a demand, there must be supply following. So, as long as there’re low(er) income people as there’ll always be, the cheap goods will also be always in demand. If they’re not from China, they’ll be from any country else. I notice this already in the fashion industry, there’re more and more cheap and chic clothes made in India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Indonesia….
3. BYD is half-owned by American interests. So I suppose the pricing strategy must have been made jointly. If this strategy works, the cash will flow to the US too; however to the wealthy individual investor(s) mostly (again). If it doesn’t work for immediate sales, at least it gives BYD a direct exposure to the US electric car market. So a good move I would say to be there.
Can't say I disagree much with your assesment. Lots of things come into play with international trade.

Since: Jul 11

Los Angeles, CA

#33 Nov 1, 2011
Fordless wrote:
<quoted text> Yes and they also make the pinto which burst into flames on the road.
Only when it was rear-ended.
Anamouse

Redondo Beach, CA

#34 Nov 2, 2011
So now we're subsidizing Chinese companies so they can make useless junk in our own country?
Toyota

San Diego, CA

#35 Nov 3, 2011
Snowflake wrote:
Not any more, more people are buying GMs and Fords than Toyota.
That is a temporary situation which will not last for long. Toyota will regain its number one position in short order.
Toyota

San Diego, CA

#36 Nov 3, 2011
Mars wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there such a list of top quality car-makers? or you're saying by # of cars sold? By that, I can confirm the Japanese (and also South Korean) cars are very popular here - good value for money, durable, attractive after-sale service packages.
Just check out the American magazine "Consumer Reports". You will be able to compare the quality rankings of Toyota and other Japanese manufacturers, against all other vehicle manufacturers in the world over the last 40 years! The results are clear.
WJB

New York, NY

#37 Nov 3, 2011
Go China!
Wong

San Diego, CA

#38 Nov 5, 2011
Anamouse wrote:
So now we're subsidizing Chinese companies so they can make useless junk in our own country?
Our wonderful products are not useless junk! You Americans buy our stuff like crazy in Walmart.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#39 Nov 5, 2011
Wong wrote:
<quoted text> Our wonderful products are not useless junk! You Americans buy our stuff like crazy in Walmart.
There's no difference between 'useless junk' and 'all that's available'.
We buy your 'useless junk' at Walmart because quality American items are not available. We need, we buy. If all there is is yours; we're left with no choices.
This is the downside of Free Market Enterprise. The Chinese 'junk' that is so cheap pushes more expensive quality items off of the shelves.
And it's not necessarily the consumer who makes the choice. The seller. If he decides he doesn't want to stock an item; then you buy what is there.
Which happens to be 'useless Chinese junk'. It's 'all that's available'.
As usual the end user, the consumer, gets screwed. The store has it's money, the importer has theirs, the manufacturer has theirs. The consumer?
Has junk.
Anamouse

Redondo Beach, CA

#40 Nov 7, 2011
Wong wrote:
<quoted text> Our wonderful products are not useless junk! You Americans buy our stuff like crazy in Walmart.
I doubt any of the products made in the Chinese LA Electric Car company will be sold in Walmart.

Walmart is a place where people gladly buy products made by Chinese workers who are practically paid slave wages and abused by their employeers, and often work in factories that make them sick by exposing them to toxic chemicals we don't want used in our own country.

The only reason Americans buy it is because it's dirt cheap and the only reson it's dirt cheap is because the people who make them work for peanuts, and respond to what we'd call abuse in our own factories by saying, "thank you sir, may I have some more".

I'm not so sure we should be too proud of the fact that we gladly buy the products they produce.

And I don't think the Chinese government should be too proud of the fact that they have turned half their countries population into the sluts of the world.
Abe

Bangkok, Thailand

#42 Nov 25, 2012
Don't to blame to other cars
It is worth the money's to pay
All customy is satisfy with thecars
The world is not for Toyota only
Itis not monopoly
Abe

Bangkok, Thailand

#43 Nov 25, 2012
Toyota must know the world is for all not for you only.open minded please !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Pasadena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 4 hr Bruin Nation 29,515
News Stalker case leads to lawsuit against St. Bruno... (Feb '13) 5 hr Time to wake up 1,327
News 'Undocumented Immigrant Not A Criminal,' Califo... 10 hr tomin cali 1
a review of premier healthcare services and wha... 11 hr sarah spector cpa 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 12 hr Akingu 19,830
News El Monte street gang is one the area's largest,... (May '09) 14 hr La Looney DE EM H... 265
Tree Falls On Car In Whittier; 2 Kids Hurt 15 hr Joe Vhaney 3

Beach Hazards Statement for Los Angeles County was issued at April 18 at 4:45PM PDT

More from around the web

South Pasadena People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]