Whittier parents at St. Bruno Catholi...

Whittier parents at St. Bruno Catholic School upset after not being told principal had a stalker

There are 819 comments on the Whittier Daily News story from Nov 27, 2012, titled Whittier parents at St. Bruno Catholic School upset after not being told principal had a stalker. In it, Whittier Daily News reports that:

Ronald S. Martinez was arrested and convicted of stalking Catherine Carvalho, the principal at St.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whittier Daily News.

Catholic Dad

Los Angeles, CA

#656 Feb 24, 2013
Get it right wrote:
<quoted text> Wow! Blah blah blah??? Don't you realize that very attitude is why we are in the situation we are in today, not only at the school but the church also! Listen, THINK, and then respond. Your reacting does nothing for you or your cause; it only makes you look silly and childish!
Of course, "Get it right." You are full of yourself. Stop telling bloggers what to say. Blah, blah, blah!!
Free from negative

Los Angeles, CA

#657 Feb 24, 2013
Bruno Failed You wrote:
According to the ex nun the stalker did not bother her while she updated Chorpus Christi security in Pacific Palisides. I think if she is concerned about her own safety should go to another coastal school. Apparently the stalker is not a beach guy but since he has family in Whittier and hacienda heights this shows that the ex nun continues to make poor decisions. Go west.
Is this John Concern again? Hi Johnny! How's the kid?
Catholic Dad

Los Angeles, CA

#658 Feb 24, 2013
Parents Matter wrote:
<quoted text>
Great post, lets stay away from unproductive name calling and finger pointing.
You are right! This stalker is mentally ill and unpredictable. A judge can only work the information he is provided. That's the role of the judge. However, the question is if this guy was no problem why does she continue to have a restraining order against him? That is the issue. The school has to be associated with this stalker while she continues to be on campus. I understand that this must be difficult for her but that's not what these families signed up for or ever imagined. The stalker has exhibited behaviors that indicate that he is unstable and obsessive. That's a fact and the principal has not disputed the details we have regarding his behaviors. That lack of acknowledgement on her part continues to be the issue. All these safety activities don't change the facts. All who support the principal, do you think it's normal to have a restraining order against an individual who is considered "harmless"? Do you think when our children are older they will be able to make sense of why a principal with a mentally ill individual following her around to their school was tolerated? How do you explain why families are removing their children after being there for years? That is what we need to ask ourselves. Please give some coherent, evidenced based responses that help other understand what makes this ok. The current information we have related to this stalker is troubling. Meanwhile, we need our kids to be getting the type of instruction to be ready for high school academically and spiritually. I am a product of a Catholic education all the way through and that is the purpose. That's the objective of this institution. It's to provide our children with the best education possible with the staff and community in concert. Thats what I felt was taking place before. All the recent public relations activities to keep this principal are taking away from that goal and sadly, instruction is not the focus. We need to stick to the issue that started this whole thing-the principal has a mentally ill individual who has been stalking her and has made contact with the school our children attend. This isn't about judging her it is about the fact that she has a stalker.
Did you know that at every school there are parents that have restraining orders on them? In fact, you should do a search on sex-offenders in your neighborhood. Just to enlighten you to reality. Did you also know that there are employees in many places, including schools locally, that have "stalkers?" Do you think this is something unusual? Wake up and face the world in which we live!
Sadly, the principal, and excellent principal, has to deal with terrible, unsupportive, and rude parents who are a waste of time and energy. Please stop blowing smoke to distract from the real issue of running the school. You are OUT-OF-CONTROL parents and a bad example to your children.
Free from negative

Los Angeles, CA

#659 Feb 24, 2013
Bruno Failed You wrote:
<quoted text>
Pastors and Bishops make mistake and are very human. They need to show respect to receive respect. They need to stand up for what is right. Don't turn your head when little boys are being RAPED or when your administration is interrogating children then their parents. Wake up you are a sheep to shepherds that prey on children. PROTECT your children and make these people accountable
Bruno Failed You....Sounds like you are dealing with some major issues that happened to you as a child. Sorry that you have such a fearful outlook on everyone. But most of all, if you don't trust the administration at the school, or the teachers, or the church, it is your choice to leave. I would suggest you go to a public school so, you're are not haunted by the fears you are projecting on your children. Most importantly, you need to get some therapy. Good luck!
Bruno Failed You

La Habra, CA

#660 Feb 24, 2013
What makes her an excellent principal ?

Chaos, unhappy staff, multiple law suits, and an exodus of families seems more of a contradiction of a good principal
Get it right

Los Angeles, CA

#661 Feb 24, 2013
Catholic Dad wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, "Get it right." You are full of yourself. Stop telling bloggers what to say. Blah, blah, blah!!
I didn't tell you what to say; I only suggested to think before you respond (don't react) but alas, this is what happens when dealing with ignorance.
Parents Matter

Whittier, CA

#662 Feb 24, 2013
Catholic Dad wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you know that at every school there are parents that have restraining orders on them? In fact, you should do a search on sex-offenders in your neighborhood. Just to enlighten you to reality. Did you also know that there are employees in many places, including schools locally, that have "stalkers?" Do you think this is something unusual? Wake up and face the world in which we live!
Sadly, the principal, and excellent principal, has to deal with terrible, unsupportive, and rude parents who are a waste of time and energy. Please stop blowing smoke to distract from the real issue of running the school. You are OUT-OF-CONTROL parents and a bad example to your children.
Yes, there are numerous parents with restraining orders. Mostly between divorced parents. Thats not unusual. If that conflict is continually brought to the school then law enforcement gets involved. However, most educators, especially administrators, dont have a restraining order against a stalker who is mentally ill and who has made contact with the school. Its the "nexus" or connection to the school that is problematic. Any educator, no matter how gifted or talented, wth a stalker coming to his or her workplace so much so that other employees are affected after a series of incidents would be finding a new place of employment. Even if every parent who disagrees left the school, sadly, seems like the stalker would remain. Unlike other, I do think she has leadership ability. I'm haven't indicated otherwise. I dont think she is a bad person either since I havent observed anything to suggest that. She is always pleasant even though this chaos is occurring around her. However, this fiasco is too much for any school to recover from without a change in leaders. That's how I see it and you are entitled to your own opinions.
Nonsense

Whittier, CA

#663 Feb 24, 2013
Enough is enough wrote:
<quoted text>
First half of your post is not nice. She can't help what she looks like. But everyone knows the second half of the post is correct. Why were there only two families asked to leave? Pathetic that they are now crying victim, when they have victimized so many others over the years.
Oh please! Do you even know what victimize means? I think you are being overly dramatic.
Please, for the record, if you are brave enough, let us all know how you were a victim at the hands of these families?
Catholic Mother

Los Angeles, CA

#664 Feb 24, 2013
edit wrote:
<quoted text>
You need an education! This sentence doesn't make any sense! So, you didn't make it past Jr. High? There are adult education classes in Whittier!
Maybe you should try re reading it you might Learn Something!
Catholic Dad

Los Angeles, CA

#665 Feb 25, 2013
Catholic Mother wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should try re reading it you might Learn Something!
Learn something from you? You made my day "Catholic Mother."
Fact

Los Angeles, CA

#666 Feb 25, 2013
Parents Matter wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, there are numerous parents with restraining orders. Mostly between divorced parents. Thats not unusual. If that conflict is continually brought to the school then law enforcement gets involved. However, most educators, especially administrators, dont have a restraining order against a stalker who is mentally ill and who has made contact with the school. Its the "nexus" or connection to the school that is problematic. Any educator, no matter how gifted or talented, wth a stalker coming to his or her workplace so much so that other employees are affected after a series of incidents would be finding a new place of employment. Even if every parent who disagrees left the school, sadly, seems like the stalker would remain. Unlike other, I do think she has leadership ability. I'm haven't indicated otherwise. I dont think she is a bad person either since I havent observed anything to suggest that. She is always pleasant even though this chaos is occurring around her. However, this fiasco is too much for any school to recover from without a change in leaders. That's how I see it and you are entitled to your own opinions.
The fiasco is caused by vindictive parents who are not getting their way and acting like spoiled children. If their really upset they should leave. If the choose to stay then they should stop all this nonsense.
Whittier Dad

Whittier, CA

#667 Feb 25, 2013
Fact wrote:
<quoted text> The fiasco is caused by vindictive parents who are not getting their way and acting like spoiled children. If their really upset they should leave. If the choose to stay then they should stop all this nonsense.
I don't consider myself vindictive. My morals are just different than yours in that I don't want my children learning that lieing and uncaring leadership is acceptable. We are parishioners and are paying tuition like most other families. Our voices are worth no less or more than yours. This is our parish too and we will do everything we can to make it better than it is now. If you don't like that you have the same choices we have and are free to leave as well. This is our home and we choose to stay.
Truth E

Burbank, CA

#668 Feb 25, 2013
Parents Matter wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the teacher are around the children more than the principal. No, not every teacher finds another place of employment. St. Bruno's will recover no matter what the negative parents create.
Free from negative

Burbank, CA

#669 Feb 25, 2013
Whittier Dad wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't consider myself vindictive. My morals are just different than yours in that I don't want my children learning that lieing and uncaring leadership is acceptable. We are parishioners and are paying tuition like most other families. Our voices are worth no less or more than yours. This is our parish too and we will do everything we can to make it better than it is now. If you don't like that you have the same choices we have and are free to leave as well. This is our home and we choose to stay.
If you stay, you have to follow the directives of the new principal.
Chorro

Whittier, CA

#670 Feb 25, 2013
St Bruno Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Your full of crap! Best fish fry ever!
Um, yea, if you think getting the squirts every time you eat at the fish fry is your idea of a good meal. I don't think it's possible for anyone to be full of crap after eating at the fish fry.
Whittier Daf

Whittier, CA

#671 Feb 25, 2013
Free from negative wrote:
<quoted text>
If you stay, you have to follow the directives of the new principal.
Are you telling me what to do and/or say? Please consider your previous posts if you respond.
Concerned parent

Los Angeles, CA

#672 Feb 25, 2013
Free from negative wrote:
<quoted text>
Bruno Failed You....Sounds like you are dealing with some major issues that happened to you as a child. Sorry that you have such a fearful outlook on everyone. But most of all, if you don't trust the administration at the school, or the teachers, or the church, it is your choice to leave. I would suggest you go to a public school so, you're are not haunted by the fears you are projecting on your children. Most importantly, you need to get some therapy. Good luck!

Of course we have a "fearful outlook". The Catholic church has instilled fear in us since catechism. We've been taught to fear God for he is " the Lord our God". They've taught us to fear Hell and the Devil himself. So yes, to answer you, we have fear. We fear for our children's safety . I fear this man will come to our school, he is sick! You're naive and a fool to think that he is harmless. No one can predict what goes on in these sick individuals minds.

The parents have every right to disagree and have a voice. All your doing is upsetting people with your inflammatory comments. There's a lot of unnecessary name calling because parents are upset. The teacher did the right thing by informing us. The principals actions only show a cover up. The bottom line is the school has a problem and no one from the top knows how to solve it. I don't know her well enough to form an opinion, but I do think she needs to step down. She is incapable of handling this situation and only dividing families.
Parent

Chatsworth, CA

#673 Feb 25, 2013
Concerned parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course we have a "fearful outlook". The Catholic church has instilled fear in us since catechism. We've been taught to fear God for he is " the Lord our God". They've taught us to fear Hell and the Devil himself. So yes, to answer you, we have fear. We fear for our children's safety . I fear this man will come to our school, he is sick! You're naive and a fool to think that he is harmless. No one can predict what goes on in these sick individuals minds.
The parents have every right to disagree and have a voice. All your doing is upsetting people with your inflammatory comments. There's a lot of unnecessary name calling because parents are upset. The teacher did the right thing by informing us. The principals actions only show a cover up. The bottom line is the school has a problem and no one from the top knows how to solve it. I don't know her well enough to form an opinion, but I do think she needs to step down. She is incapable of handling this situation and only dividing families.
"You have fear for your child's safety" and yet you are still dropping off your children at this school for 7 hours a day, day in and day out for the last 4 months since this whole thing started? That makes no sense. What parent would do that to their child? You want safety for your child but are willing to wait it out while you are trying to make a point. You want "safety" because you are "fearful", and even though you have many choices of schools in the area you insist on bringing them back everyday? One can only conclude that your not truly fearful. You must other issues but not fear. No parent with choices leaves their child in perceived dangerous situation. You have another agenda.
Fish Fry Results

La Habra, CA

#674 Feb 25, 2013
Numbers anyone? Heard it was sold out. Would like to know how much success the Parish had especially after all the drama going on.
Catholic Dad

Los Angeles, CA

#675 Feb 25, 2013
Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
"You have fear for your child's safety" and yet you are still dropping off your children at this school for 7 hours a day, day in and day out for the last 4 months since this whole thing started? That makes no sense. What parent would do that to their child? You want safety for your child but are willing to wait it out while you are trying to make a point. You want "safety" because you are "fearful", and even though you have many choices of schools in the area you insist on bringing them back everyday? One can only conclude that your not truly fearful. You must other issues but not fear. No parent with choices leaves their child in perceived dangerous situation. You have another agenda.
Thank you for your post. You are shedding light on the real issue here. Thank you!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Pasadena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gang member held in shooting of 9-year-old (Oct '09) 40 min TurkBandit 46
Review: Financial Plus Investment (Jul '08) 4 hr El Manda Mas 2,954
Hillary Clinton refuses to protect American com... 7 hr Dan Ganasz 2
News Prince, R.I.P.: How I Managed to Survive My Enc... 8 hr Akinyi 5
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 11 hr Another Black kil... 20,184
looking for a special gift for someone special (Mar '12) 17 hr Dr Gerald Demal 2
Randolph (Randy) Owen Fulkerson (Jul '13) Sat Prid 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Pasadena Mortgages