Whittier parents at St. Bruno Catholi...

Whittier parents at St. Bruno Catholic School upset after not being told principal had a stalker

There are 819 comments on the Whittier Daily News story from Nov 27, 2012, titled Whittier parents at St. Bruno Catholic School upset after not being told principal had a stalker. In it, Whittier Daily News reports that:

Ronald S. Martinez was arrested and convicted of stalking Catherine Carvalho, the principal at St.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whittier Daily News.

Bruno Failed You

Long Beach, CA

#532 Feb 23, 2013
Parents Matter wrote:
<quoted text>
You are completely right. Before this, everyone was focused on the kids. Where there cliques? Sure, but the focus was on the kids. Was every teacher perfect? No but at least you could talk to them and work together. Now everyone is distracted with this ongoing nonsense. To those who can't say anything negative about the principal and are turning on other parents, do you really think having a principal come with so much baggage is normal and helpful for our kids? Don't you think that if she was truly a sincere leader who has been thinking about the children's best interest that she would continue to stay at this school and not resign? Have any of you who supported her ever been at another Catholic school or attended one as a child? I did and this ongoing chaos is not normal or fair to our kids. And, its not about making statements like "leave then". Thats just a way to dismiss the conversation instead of having a balanced discussion. Think about it, what happened to the anti bullying program? That was started last school year. How are the Eno boards being used to enhance instruction? We raised and donated money for those boards. Why were we moved to a trimester system? Lots of changes and we went with it. But folks, really, can you sit here knowing that a mentally ill individual is following her around and think this is ok? How many people do you know who have a stalker and work at a school? He is obviously a calculating and troubled person based on how he planned activities to make contact with her. When he was on campus we didn't know and the school, to my knowledge was not put on a formal "lock down" as most schools would when someone unusual is on campus. We don't know when he was on campus and where he was able to go while there. Take a moment and think about what you are supporting, it's not even about her anymore; it's about this individual that is not ok who knows she's at our school. We weren't upset at the beginning of the school year. All this unraveled once we found out about the stalker. She may have decided that she is ok with this since she has to live with this, she had no choice, but here's the difference: the parents and students should have had a choice whether or not we wanted this troubled person associated with our school. Who would? And why did she take a job over here when it seemed like she was able to avoid this chaos at her previous school? This is just bizarre and having a mentally ill person constantly associated with a once great school is really disappointing
Awesome! How true
Do The Right Thing

Pico Rivera, CA

#533 Feb 23, 2013
PRESS RELEASE: Catholics Respond to Tone-Deaf Statement from Archdiocese

Posted February 15, 2013
Archbishop Gomez endorses Cardinal Mahony’s church-sponsored trip to Vatican despite growing call to stay home

WASHINGTON – The Archdiocese of Los Angeles released a statement this afternoon supporting Cardinal Roger Mahony’s participation in the upcoming papal conclave, despite recent revelations of child sex abuse cover-ups that occurred under his tenure as leader of the archdiocese. Catholics United is leading a nationwide effort to encourage Cardinal Mahony to do the right thing for the victims of child sex abuse and recuse himself from the conclave.

The petition can be found at http://www.Catholics-United.org/mahony-petiti...

CU Executive Director James Salt released the following statement:

“Archbishop Gomez’s support for Cardinal Mahony’s participation in the papal conclave demonstrates the crisis of leadership within American Catholicism. Instead of defending the dignity of abuse victims, Archbishop Gomez has chosen to protect the hierarchy first. He clearly does not understand the pervasive hurt and anger within his flock.
Ms Lippy

United States

#534 Feb 23, 2013
What is going on at this once prestigious school is a shame. Our family has children attending. I have found this whole issue to be an unnecessary distraction to the educational process itself. I am a product of the catholic school system and would not trade it for the world. But many things trouble me with this situation and believe me I have not chosen a "side" rather sat back and watched what has unfolded. First and foremost, I am disturbed to find out that "Kat" as she was called by her supporters during that first big meeting, has a body guard that does not leave her side. Where are the bodyguards for the children? Many people stated in that meeting that they believed that "Kat" would take a bullet for their child, but can she take a bullet for each one of them? No.
I am disturbed to find out that the teachers now carry walkie talkies with them at all times. Communication is important in any environment but these types of needless changes have put the children on edge, which I have a problem with. She is running this school as a dictator rather than a facilitator. These changes along with the buzzer and locked door seem to be there for her benefit rather than the children's.
I do understand that whenever a new principal enters the mix changes are bound to happen, which are usually met with unhappy staff who don't want to change. This happens in the business world daily. But her changes are less school system related than they are safety-for-her related.
Also, I am concerned at the high number of students leaving this school. For those of you who have said good riddance to these so-called trouble makers, shame on you. Not everyone who is leaving this school is a trouble maker. Some people staying in this school are bigger trouble makers than the ones leaving. Most are just concerned parents who expect more for the amount of money we pay. They expect to be heard without retaliation which is what this has been about for "Kat". Good families are leaving, and I doubt highly there is a long waiting list of potential students. Under these circumstances would you send YOUR child to St. Bruno's? I certainly would not.
My question to "Kat" now would be this; What is going to happen to our tuition rates when you can bring in the same amount of kids you lost? And if they don't go up, what programs are you going to cut from this school?
The concerned parents who signed the petition to have her removed are allowed freedom of speech in our country and have been wrongly prosecuted due to voicing their opinion to the archdiocese. "Kat" is judge, jury and executioner.
It is very sad to see the fish fry event be smaller than in the past years due to families leaving and lack of support. I remember when it was hard to get a table, the last two weeks have been rather empty.
I want the environment at St. Bruno's to return to one that was built on education first. I want the good teachers we have to stay put, but I fear some will leave. I want my children safe, well educated, and happy. These are the basic things we pay our tuition for. My fear though is that those days are gone.
Catherine Carvalho needs to do right by the parish, the school, the faculty, and the students. She needs to resign, pure and simple. We need our school back and off the evening news. We need the families who have left to return to the school that many called home for over 25 years. We need the teachers/administrators/secret ary back who knew our children by NAME as they genuinely cared.
I just want this to be over with so my children can get the education that made St. Bruno's the best school around.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Free from the negative

Santa Ana, CA

#535 Feb 23, 2013
Bruno Failed You wrote:
St. Bruno has a great staff. An Ex nun and an Ex cop. Appears these people are unable to commit to anything.
This sounds like an ex parent? Lol
Bruno Failed You

Long Beach, CA

#536 Feb 23, 2013
Free from the negative wrote:
<quoted text>
This sounds like an ex parent? Lol
Once again you are incorrect. I support our ex nun as our leader. I'm only pointing out that her inability to honor her commitment to God has me concerned when she tell me she's committed to our children and school
Catholic Mother

Inglewood, CA

#537 Feb 23, 2013
<quoted text>
Desperate! Think what you want. Makes you wonder how weak your three ladies are with their statements.
Hilarious! "Little lady" lol keep trying!
It's so obvious who you are!! Nice to know that you think all of this is So Funny with all your lol's!
Shouldn't you be worrying about the students at St. Bruno's instead of answering all the blogs!
Bruno Failed You

Long Beach, CA

#538 Feb 23, 2013
Catholic Mother wrote:
<quoted text>
It's so obvious who you are!! Nice to know that you think all of this is So Funny with all your lol's!
Shouldn't you be worrying about the students at St. Bruno's instead of answering all the blogs!
The principal and VP do not care about your children it self evident with their continued responses to your post
Fat Amy

Brea, CA

#539 Feb 23, 2013
I am aca-entertained by all the bickering of you American Catholics.
Tissues for the Cry Baby

Los Angeles, CA

#540 Feb 23, 2013
Parents Matter wrote:
<quoted text>
You are completely right. Before this, everyone was focused on the kids. Where there cliques? Sure, but the focus was on the kids. Was every teacher perfect? No but at least you could talk to them and work together. Now everyone is distracted with this ongoing nonsense. To those who can't say anything negative about the principal and are turning on other parents, do you really think having a principal come with so much baggage is normal and helpful for our kids? Don't you think that if she was truly a sincere leader who has been thinking about the children's best interest that she would continue to stay at this school and not resign? Have any of you who supported her ever been at another Catholic school or attended one as a child? I did and this ongoing chaos is not normal or fair to our kids. And, its not about making statements like "leave then". Thats just a way to dismiss the conversation instead of having a balanced discussion. Think about it, what happened to the anti bullying program? That was started last school year. How are the Eno boards being used to enhance instruction? We raised and donated money for those boards. Why were we moved to a trimester system? Lots of changes and we went with it. But folks, really, can you sit here knowing that a mentally ill individual is following her around and think this is ok? How many people do you know who have a stalker and work at a school? He is obviously a calculating and troubled person based on how he planned activities to make contact with her. When he was on campus we didn't know and the school, to my knowledge was not put on a formal "lock down" as most schools would when someone unusual is on campus. We don't know when he was on campus and where he was able to go while there. Take a moment and think about what you are supporting, it's not even about her anymore; it's about this individual that is not ok who knows she's at our school. We weren't upset at the beginning of the school year. All this unraveled once we found out about the stalker. She may have decided that she is ok with this since she has to live with this, she had no choice, but here's the difference: the parents and students should have had a choice whether or not we wanted this troubled person associated with our school. Who would? And why did she take a job over here when it seemed like she was able to avoid this chaos at her previous school? This is just bizarre and having a mentally ill person constantly associated with a once great school is really disappointing
Get over it...stop crying! Like the judge said..he is no threat.
Tissues for the Cry Baby

Los Angeles, CA

#541 Feb 23, 2013
Bruno Failed You wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again you are incorrect. I support our ex nun as our leader. I'm only pointing out that her inability to honor her commitment to God has me concerned when she tell me she's committed to our children and school
She is still committed to God as the principal of St. Bruno School and any other school she worked at. Get over yourself and stop judging.
Parents Matter

Whittier, CA

#542 Feb 23, 2013
Tissues for the Cry Baby wrote:
<quoted text>
This isn't crying, its the facts. Did you want a stalker associated with your school? Really? You think the judge is a psychologist and has diagnosed this individual? Do you want to dispute that he is mentally ill? Do you know if he is getting treated for his illness to keep his behavior under control?? If he is harmless why is there a restraining order against him? Potential harm that he may cause is not something a judge decides since they can only make determinations on what information is provided. In other words, the judge does not do research on this person beyond what is presented.. Things are not adding up. I am a product of a Catholic school and this is something that would not even be tolerated at a public school. You need to come back with a response with substance instead of just dismissing reasonable concerns. You obviously don't get that meanwhile, our kids are not getting the caliber of education to compete with other schools. If this distraction continues, they will fall further and further behind their counterparts in other Catholic and public schools. There are changes coming in education such Common Core, Science, Technology and Math that we need to be keeping up with. Do you feel like our kids will be ready? Instead, our tuition money has gone to the installation of state of the art camera systems that were not needed nor asked for. We weren't surveyed prior to the use of those funds. And, instead of a focus on instruction or anti bullying, there is a safety committee.
Bruno Failed You

Los Angeles, CA

#543 Feb 23, 2013
<quoted text>
She is still committed to God as the principal of St. Bruno School and any other school she worked at. Get over yourself and stop judging.
You are incorrect she already QUIT God. Do not let your preposition dangle at the end of your sentence. "Worked at." Very poor grammar, bad girl
Tissues for the Cry Baby

Los Angeles, CA

#544 Feb 23, 2013
Parents Matter wrote:
<quoted text>
This isn't crying, its the facts. Did you want a stalker associated with your school? Really? You think the judge is a psychologist and has diagnosed this individual? Do you want to dispute that he is mentally ill? Do you know if he is getting treated for his illness to keep his behavior under control?? If he is harmless why is there a restraining order against him? Potential harm that he may cause is not something a judge decides since they can only make determinations on what information is provided. In other words, the judge does not do research on this person beyond what is presented.. Things are not adding up. I am a product of a Catholic school and this is something that would not even be tolerated at a public school. You need to come back with a response with substance instead of just dismissing reasonable concerns. You obviously don't get that meanwhile, our kids are not getting the caliber of education to compete with other schools. If this distraction continues, they will fall further and further behind their counterparts in other Catholic and public schools. There are changes coming in education such Common Core, Science, Technology and Math that we need to be keeping up with. Do you feel like our kids will be ready? Instead, our tuition money has gone to the installation of state of the art camera systems that were not needed nor asked for. We weren't surveyed prior to the use of those funds. And, instead of a focus on instruction or anti bullying, there is a safety committee.
Sounds like you know it all. You live in fear which makes your children live in fear. Learn how to parent before you judge others!
Tissues for the Cry Baby

Los Angeles, CA

#545 Feb 23, 2013
Bruno Failed You wrote:
<quoted text>
The principal and VP do not care about your children it self evident with their continued responses to your post
Oh yeah, everyone who posts here is the principal or VP. You are not dealing with life very well. Grow up, and get some therapy so you don't destroy your children's life. Terrible parenting example.
Bruno Failed You

Los Angeles, CA

#546 Feb 23, 2013
Parents Matter wrote:
<quoted text>
The ex nun, ex cop, and incompetent VP receive their paychecks whether your child learns or not. Your child is in third place. Payday, personal security guard aka bouncer and then they begin to think about your children
Parents Matter

Whittier, CA

#547 Feb 23, 2013
<quoted text>
Sounds like you know it all. You live in fear which makes your children live in fear. Learn how to parent before you judge others!
What are you even talking about? How did you determine anything related to parenting? Its called researching an issue prior to coming to a conclusion. Which, is what competent parents do. There is no judgement taken place; these are conclusions made based on what we do know. Provide responses that address the concerns mentioned. You or I don't know it all and that's the core problem. An individual with a mental illness is unpredictable. If you support the principal continuing to supervise the school, you are, by default, continuing to support this mentally ill individual being associated with the school your children attend. Sure, its not her fault she has a a mentally ill individual constantly pursuing her, however, it shouldn't be part of our problem or school.
Free from the negative

Los Angeles, CA

#548 Feb 23, 2013
Bruno Failed You wrote:
<quoted text>
The ex nun, ex cop, and incompetent VP receive their paychecks whether your child learns or not. Your child is in third place. Payday, personal security guard aka bouncer and then they begin to think about your children
John Concern...foot prints.
Catholic Dad

Los Angeles, CA

#549 Feb 23, 2013
Catholic Mother wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you even think of telling someone else what do on this blog??? If you can post, so can anyone else! Why worry when the students are just as safe at St. Bruno's as any other school. Why live in fear? You are creating a climate unhealthy for any child. You are funny, because you can't deal with reality, yet you case judgement on anyone who supports the principal and her staff.
Bruno Failed You

Los Angeles, CA

#550 Feb 23, 2013
<quoted text>
John Concern...foot prints.
Ok Jc's foot print. HE is watching. What about the ex nuns' commitment to God? And her leadership skills. God became a bother and I know you are no God so shall you become a bother and be dismissed soon.
Easy

Valley Village, CA

#551 Feb 23, 2013
<quoted text>
Then why alert anyone "staff" about it. REALLY!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Pasadena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr John Doe 20,279
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 4 hr Evan 32,266
News Try home remedies for neuropathy (Mar '08) 7 hr Bruce 224
News Montebello council approves bonds, construction... 9 hr Interesting 4
News New Study Claims Drug Ibogaine Can Cure Heroin ... (Nov '10) 11 hr greet 43
How do councilmembers get away with lying to th... 14 hr Big Mistake 3
News Bernie Sanders says he will be in 'strong posit... 14 hr Big Mistake 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Pasadena Mortgages