Whittier parents at St. Bruno Catholic School upset after not being told principal had a stalker

Nov 27, 2012 Full story: Whittier Daily News 817

Ronald S. Martinez was arrested and convicted of stalking Catherine Carvalho, the principal at St.

Full Story
John Concern

La Habra, CA

#286 Feb 13, 2013
Joe Parent wrote:
We have a volatile mix of impassioned parents and a principal out of her depth. To top it off our pastor just doesn't have the ability or compassion to be the leader that we need. The school families chose to send their children to Saint Bruno and are paying for a Catholic and Christian education. They speak out because they are passionate about everything Saint Bruno CATHOLIC School is supposed to provide for the children in leadership as well as their secular and religious studies.
The pastor and the principal, who used to be a Carmelite nun, are showing us that they consider their personal agendas and powers more important than treating the children in the Christian manner that they espouse. Whether a stalker, critical parents or the media their actions show us that they do not put the children first.
In all likelihood our children will not be attending Saint Bruno School next year. They deserve a pastor and a principal who prove in action as well as word that they are Christian.
Shame on you Father Michael Reardon and Ms. Catherine Carvalho. Your horrible and un-Christian leadership is destroying our community.
Pray for the children that they learn not from our examples. Pray for the teachers that they have strength and relief through this ordeal. Pray that the Holy Spirit enters all of us to find our way back to community in God's Grace.
Bravo
Past Parent

Los Angeles, CA

#287 Feb 13, 2013
John Concern wrote:
<quoted text>
Bravo
Amen
TigerFan

Wake Forest, NC

#288 Feb 13, 2013
Past Parent- question for you - Did you ever have a troll doll wearing a wedding dress on your desk?
KarmaIsaBitch

Anaheim, CA

#289 Feb 13, 2013
Ashes to Ashes wrote:
Reflect on the true meaning of the Lenten season. Give up hatred and anger. Turn to Christ in order to live in peace and happiness. Let's humble our hearts and come together as a community. St. Bruno Parish for Fish Fry Fridays!
Am I the only one who gets the squirts every time I eat food from the fish fry?
Jane Concern

United States

#290 Feb 13, 2013
Past Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen
Double AMEN!! Nothing but the truth and very well said!!!!!!!!!!
Fish Fry Parent

La Habra, CA

#291 Feb 13, 2013
boycott Fish Fry!!! 5 hours and done. Going home now...
No extra days helping. The Parish and School are getting what they asked for.
&#128557;&#128557; &#128557;&#128560; &#128560;&#128560; &#128560;&#128545; &#128545;&#128545;
Onlooker

La Habra, CA

#292 Feb 13, 2013
Past St Bruno Parent wrote:
For all of you Kool Aid drinkers.... they have even manipulated the likes of GreatSchools.com , as there where posts on the site last week, forewarning parents checking out St. Bruno about the current issues. Those have been removed. They are throwing Big Brother around everywhere. The truth cannot even be told on outside websites without them snaking their way in. Below is a post I tried to put on Greatschools.com and guess what, never made it...wonder why...
What has become of St. Bruno's....wow through the years we were all used the revolving door of ever changing principals. It seems the current situation now has hit the path of no return. A divided school & community, parents being dismissed as their concerns really don't matter. Anyone new reading this look up what has been happening in the Daily News online, this principal has a 30 year stalker & it was swept under the rug. Alas just as so many "issues" with the church as been, disagree...see the latest news on Cardinal Mahony's "Moral Failure" that is in the LA Times this week. These are your leaders whom you are entrusting with your child 5 days a week. Current parents have every right to speak up & continue to be heard, most of them, along with the long time staff BUILT this community, which is now being torn down by a principal that uses religion as her way to cut you down, and a Pastor that is just weak all around & likes to spend money & hear his own voice. Current parents of St Bruno continue to have your voice be heard, to the parents reading that are checking out this school for your child, do your homework, don't drink the Kool Aid that many are serving up here.
Good thing you're a past parent.
The overwhelming majority of current parents think it's good that all you angry people are losing the battle, face the facts and take the defeat, the school and church will be just fine- actually better than before.
It's actually more peaceful already except for this site where the minority hangs out to vent their frustration.
They (you) have lost the power to enact their will-- This site will have no impact and I'm done reading your lies.
I say good bye and good luck in your future, I will pray for you to gain peace somewhere else.
John Concern

La Habra, CA

#293 Feb 13, 2013
Onlooker wrote:
<quoted text>
The overwhelming majority of current parents think it's good that all you angry people are losing the battle, face the facts and take the defeat, the school and church will be just fine- actually better than before.
It's actually more peaceful already except for this site where the minority hangs out to vent their frustration.
They (you) have lost the power to enact their will-- This site will have no impact and I'm done reading your lies.
I say good bye and good luck in your future, I will pray for you to gain peace somewhere else.
Not sure where you are getting your numbers from and how you are determining the attitude of the school and church. This forum dictates there is a serious issue at Bruno. You leaving this forum does not make the problem go away. The principal continues to be a poor leader
The Crickets

Glendale, CA

#294 Feb 14, 2013
Chirp chirp chirp chirp......................
Joe Parent

Whittier, CA

#295 Feb 14, 2013
Looking through these posts it's interesting to note that the people most critical of the school and church administration, in general, reference actual events and actions; while the people supporting Ms. Carvalho and Fr. Reardon just attack the post without articulating a defense of the events and actions.
Webster Dictionary

Whittier, CA

#296 Feb 14, 2013
Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
You also need to turn on your spell checker or get a dictionary. The correct spelling is principal.
Common Sense, principle is spelled correctly and spell check will not pick it up. Although you are right, the correct word to use would be principal. By the way, you may want to turn on the spell check on your computer...check the spelling of socializing in your last post.
Parent

Downey, CA

#297 Feb 14, 2013
Joe Parent wrote:
Looking through these posts it's interesting to note that the people most critical of the school and church administration, in general, reference actual events and actions; while the people supporting Ms. Carvalho and Fr. Reardon just attack the post without articulating a defense of the events and actions.
So true!
Disappointed w SBS paren

Whittier, CA

#298 Feb 14, 2013
Current SBS Parent wrote:
Wow this is all so mind blowing. Let me start with the knucklehead who goes by the tag, "for the kids." Hey nimrod, a principal's job is to run a school, make sure teachers do their job, ensure safety of the school site, etc. It's not to increase enrollment; the fact that you think that a principal's job is increasing enrollment says you know absolutely nothing about education and running a school.
To the knucklehead complaining that our principal does not want teachers fraternizing with parents that is common practice at all professionally run schools. You are the same person who would sue the school if something happened to your child while hanging out with a teacher and their family. How about you let your child hang out with the teacher whose been seen drinking at a local bar with parents - that's good stuff.
To all you parents who are not happy and feel your child is unsafe, LEAVE!!! Get the heck out and let the rest of us move on. All your destructive crap is doing nothing for the betterment of our children's education. Get out!!! And by the way, you complainers are in the minority as most families are happy. We have a great principal that is a great educator.
You parents pay a few bucks in tuition and think you have the right to run the school? What a bunch of garbage. Sorry to tell you knuckleheads, but you are fighting a losing battle; our principal is going nowhere. You want to see people leave, then watch yourselves as the door gets shut behind you. You are violating our schoolís handbook, which you signed by the way, and that is grounds for dismissal. Be careful knuckleheads. When the other shoe drops itís going to drop hard then it will bounce up and kick you right in your collective behinds.
To Diana, you go girl.
To the person complaining about where they have to park, get your behind out of your car and walk a bit, it might do you some good Ė safety is the name of the game at a school site, not your lazy self complaining about a few extra steps.
To David, you are a twit. You were more than likely a big nerd growing up who feels a little secure now, gained a few cool friends that you could not get while growing up, have a somewhat decent career, and you're feeling your oats. Problem is anyone with half a brain can size you up in a heartbeat. Why don't you leave first and have your 20 or so follows step right behind you. SBS and parish would be a far better place without you and your knuckleheaded followers (I mean come on, if they're following the likes of you, what does that say about them!).
What's with the name calling? So does your post mean that anyone that does not share your opinion qualify them to be called a knucklehead? You must have been the school yard bully who hopes to scare others off by intimidation and by the way, your post sure says alot...that you don't know much. If you can count you will notice that there are more posts by those that you call the "minority" which really makes them the majority. You might also take a look at how your post has been judged...most don't share your opinion and they think you're crazy. As for David he makes my point...he had people standing up behind him and supporting what he was saying. Just because most of the parents were quiet at those meetings does not mean they agree with Catherine who in my opinion just patronizes those that disagree with her. But by now you have hopefully figured out that the reason the "minority" is not speaking out in public is because they don't want their sons and daughters expelled in the middle of the school year. Where are the Christian values in this? Was this in the best interest of the children...to disrupt their learning environment in mid-course. What did Jesus do when he was criticized...did he banish his critics?
John Concern

La Habra, CA

#299 Feb 14, 2013
Parent wrote:
<quoted text> So true!
Absolutely correct. The defenders are ignorant of the facts
John Concern

La Habra, CA

#300 Feb 15, 2013
Disappointed w SBS paren wrote:
<quoted text>
What's with the name calling? So does your post mean that anyone that does not share your opinion qualify them to be called a knucklehead? You must have been the school yard bully who hopes to scare others off by intimidation and by the way, your post sure says alot...that you don't know much. If you can count you will notice that there are more posts by those that you call the "minority" which really makes them the majority. You might also take a look at how your post has been judged...most don't share your opinion and they think you're crazy. As for David he makes my point...he had people standing up behind him and supporting what he was saying. Just because most of the parents were quiet at those meetings does not mean they agree with Catherine who in my opinion just patronizes those that disagree with her. But by now you have hopefully figured out that the reason the "minority" is not speaking out in public is because they don't want their sons and daughters expelled in the middle of the school year. Where are the Christian values in this? Was this in the best interest of the children...to disrupt their learning environment in mid-course. What did Jesus do when he was criticized...did he banish his critics?
You are so correct. SBS parent is a bit confused and sure does possess bullying qualities. Same type of attitude the pastor and principal are using.
John Concern

La Habra, CA

#301 Feb 15, 2013
Past Parent wrote:
Wow, what a terrible place Bruno's has become. The Church and the School. My heart aches for the parents whose children were asked to leave. My heart aches for Mary-Margret, Mrs. Saldana and all the staff pre Catherine C. KL went to St Marianne. PV...aka-kool aid drinker left to follow her husband whose job took him to South Carolina, AI left due to family issues.
Unfortunately all the ranting and raving on this site is not going to end up with any positive results.
The best way to get yourself heard by the church and the school is through the wallet.$$ talks and the lack of it will speak volumes. When the Sunday donations drastically decrease you will get Michael Reardons attention, Bishop Solis will take note and so will the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. By the way, the "jar of marbles" was classic.
Valuable input. Thank you
Bravo

Anaheim, CA

#302 Feb 16, 2013
Onlooker wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so right!! Too mad the knuckleheads never listen, all they care about is trying to cause more drama. If its so bad why don't they just LEAVE.
John Concern

La Habra, CA

#303 Feb 16, 2013
Bravo wrote:
<quoted text> You are so right!! Too mad the knuckleheads never listen, all they care about is trying to cause more drama. If its so bad why don't they just LEAVE.
Leaving is not the answer. The principal and pastor need to be held accountable for their poor decisions, lack of leadership and creating an environment against what St Bruno the man stood for. The principal to protect herself is delegating all her responsibilities to others because of her lack of leadership abilities
St Bruno Parent

Chatsworth, CA

#304 Feb 16, 2013
Unfortunately "John" leaving is the answer!
John Concern

La Habra, CA

#305 Feb 17, 2013
St Bruno Parent wrote:
Unfortunately "John" leaving is the answer!
No families should leave or be thrown out. The one bad apple (principal) needs to be removed since she has not figured out that her continued bully and misjudgment continues to disrupt the educational enviroment

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Pasadena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr Fight On 27,930
What is the Worst Feature of the Proposed Monte... (Jan '14) 3 hr Theolona Ranger 90
Review: Crystal Pacific Window and Door System (Aug '10) 3 hr Paul 17
Council rejects Kare offer (Sep '08) 4 hr Lena 253
Montebello dependent on imported Water Supply (Aug '13) 4 hr Theolona Ranger 239
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 6 hr True blue 19,387
WARNING ALERT!: Ebola hits NYC: CrossFit Solace... 9 hr ALERT 1

Beach Hazards Statement for Los Angeles County was issued at October 24 at 8:52PM PDT

South Pasadena News Video

South Pasadena Dating
Find my Match

South Pasadena Jobs

South Pasadena People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

South Pasadena News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in South Pasadena

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]