LBUSD faces 'serious cuts' in months ...

LBUSD faces 'serious cuts' in months ahead

There are 33 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Dec 2, 2009, titled LBUSD faces 'serious cuts' in months ahead. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

The next four months will be full of difficult budget decisions for the Long Beach Unified School District, which faces the prospect of making $90 million in cuts over the next two fiscal years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
sooty

Long Beach, CA

#25 Dec 3, 2009
Waahhh, control your bile, I am not even remotely interested in admin. I do think that the people who are put in charge of schools should have the same credentials. Why should one person work hard to become a VP and another be handed the job just because they have relatives in high places.
Also a Parent

United States

#26 Dec 3, 2009
Parents will get report cards on the teachers when the teachers get report cards on the parents. Guess who will get the better grades?(hint, they work in schools)
susan lusk

Long Beach, CA

#27 Dec 3, 2009
Also a Parent wrote:
Parents will get report cards on the teachers when the teachers get report cards on the parents. Guess who will get the better grades?(hint, they work in schools)
Since when does affording our kids a proper education interfere with TALB and the LBUSB? Let's not make assinine comments about "what is best for the children".

What is best for the Unions and their bought and paid for politicians is all that matters in Long Beach.
USC CHS

Hacienda Heights, CA

#28 Dec 3, 2009
It’s amazing how much money these principals, assistant principals, and people in school administration make. I believe a high school principal makes approximately $125,000.00 a year if not more. Now, you can imagine the rest. It’s understandable that such persons went to school and obtained their credentials to make such money.

The school board members as well as Chris also make lots of money. But what happens when a school district becomes a business and your own ego does not let you see the real reason you went into teaching.

How many of these people attend 100 meetings a day and do not take into consideration what’s happening at their schools. They dress like a $1000.00 dollars but have no clue what teachers are teaching or what is going on in their schools. For example look at test scores and school discipline incidents.

Schools depending on a high school, middle school or elementary these schools are like towns, based on the population of students. The principal should be the major and should be aware of everything that happens in his/her city. Kind of hard to do when you are attending meetings all day in your $1000.00 dollar swap meet looking suit.

Maybe its time we the people put the spot light on these people and demand our moneys worth or a pay cut based on the work quality all of these individuals!
Martha

Bellflower, CA

#29 Dec 3, 2009
I couldn't agree more. It's time for a change.
Waahhh

Long Beach, CA

#31 Dec 3, 2009
sooty wrote:
Waahhh, control your bile, I am not even remotely interested in admin. I do think that the people who are put in charge of schools should have the same credentials. Why should one person work hard to become a VP and another be handed the job just because they have relatives in high places.
R.N.(a.k.a. sooty),
Jealousy is such a destructive character trait. Truth be told, you couldn't teach your way out of a paper bag, and now you're whining because you've been passed up yet again. Furthermore, what you fail to recognize is that some of your colleagues would like to see you handed the acting VP position merely because they know that you would never make an objective decision that might "offend" your TALB friends. You would be well-served to recognize that not only do you lack even the slightest morsel of leadership skills, you really need to take a hard look at your serious lack of instructional skills. Some professional development would be helpful.

By the way, you might want to refrain from referring to the professional qualifications of others. Such references give the appearance that you may have illegally obtained confidential personnel information -- not exactly a genius move when you're trying (unsuccessfully) to climb the career ladder.
seth adams

Long Beach, CA

#32 Dec 4, 2009
It is comforting to see posts from people who obviously care about our kids.

Sadly, the average IQ of the Long Beach voter continues to plummet as the Leftists in City Hall make the City only a valid home for the unaccomplished, uneducated, and many times unassimilated masses.

What is good for TALB, LBUSB, and City Hall continues to be poison to the fair minded productive citizens and their families.

Stay tuned. It appears that if we can become even more pathetic it is certain that our City's One Party Dictatorship promises that we shall.

The best interests of our children along with the long term health of the City isn't even on the demonic Democratic Dictatorship's radar.
LB Teacher

Long Beach, CA

#33 Dec 6, 2009
2.1 million for field trips??? Where is this money going -- we haven't had field trips for years!
Dan Martinez

Long Beach, CA

#34 Dec 6, 2009
LB Teacher wrote:
2.1 million for field trips??? Where is this money going -- we haven't had field trips for years!
The politicians are counting on the fact that the Unions have failed to educate the population for so long that most citizens no longer can read or process information.

Field Trips??? That probably means a "field trip" for Suja to go home to Mother India and Foster to Party down in Australia at the City's expense.

Stay tuned. If Long Beach voters can be bigger fools we will find a way.
The REAL LeRoy

Los Angeles, CA

#35 Dec 6, 2009
Just don't start bussing the animals kids from N. Long Beach and Compton to Lakewood schools.
ryan fitzgerald

Long Beach, CA

#36 Dec 6, 2009
The REAL LeRoy wrote:
Just don't start bussing the animals kids from N. Long Beach and Compton to Lakewood schools.
It the Unions determine that it will benefit them to infest your neighborhoods with the least among us you can count on it.

The best interests of our kids hasn't been a priority for LBUSB, TALB, City Hall, or Sacramento for quit some time.
LBUSD Teacher

Hacienda Heights, CA

#37 Mar 3, 2013
LBres wrote:
<quoted text>
Jeopardy time!
Category: Dictionary
Answer: Thurman Ashley
Question: What is nepotism?
I have worked with Mr. Ashley on and off for almost 10 years. He is an incredible administrator and an amazing teacher. His professionalism is admirable. His ethics are logical and I commend his efforts to make educators set the bar at a high level. I have a feeling that the person who started this thread is someone who has been in a great deal of trouble with his site and district for years now, due to his "poor choices." But who am I to throw stones?
I have seen how having the Ashley name holds you to a higher standard. Yes, he does "know" people, but if you look at his dad, aunt and mom, they all kick butt at their job! Seriously, the data/scores prove it. I haven't heard a valid complaint yet and I have worked in the district for 13 years.
Chris Garner

Long Beach, CA

#38 Sep 3, 2013
I know Thurnman Ashley's credentials (and they are defintaley legitamite). While he does have his faults, those who are whining are doing it anonymously! He might be hard on the kids, but he also pushes them to be their best...hmmm kind of like the teachers we wish wish we had all over the country!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Pasadena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Montebello Treasurer 21 min Findings 4
Montebello Treasurer 2 hr Findings 2
Review: Financial Plus Investment (Jul '08) 10 hr Robert 3,018
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 19 hr Trojan 32,308
What has happened to Lynwood? (Dec '05) 19 hr JustStop 1,095
Haunted homes in Whittier (Nov '08) 20 hr whittier 15
Trump Wed Vote Trump 3

South Pasadena Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Pasadena Mortgages