UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel say...

UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince will remain No. 1 QB

There are 33426 comments on the Whittier Daily News story from Sep 13, 2010, titled UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince will remain No. 1 QB. In it, Whittier Daily News reports that:

One day after telling reporters on a conference call that he planned to put the quarterback position back up for grabs, UCLA coach Rick Neuheisel said sophomore Kevin Prince will start against Houston on Saturday at the Rose Bowl.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whittier Daily News.

Bruin Nation

North Hollywood, CA

#19366 Mar 27, 2013
Boy, Bill Dwyre of the LA Times sure let us have it today. We Bruins are really trash, Wooden must be rolling over in his grave for what we did to Ben Howland....Oh how I hang my head in shame as I cruise the all boyz high schools looking for a choice 18 year old....Go Bruins!

Since: Jun 09

San Fernando Valley

#19367 Mar 27, 2013
Chosen Traveler wrote:
<quoted text>There are a lot of first round "busts" out there. Just remind UCLA of these first round (B)ruin juggernauts:
Tyler Honeycutt
Jerome Moiso
Tracy Murray
Ed O'Bannon
Geroger Zidek
And I have a gut feeling that latest (B)ruin poster boy Shabazz will be just another one of those... HaHa
Welcome back Chosen Babeler right where you left off with your selective statistics that always conveniently miss data (harmful to you or SUC's reputation).

In case your computer had a glitch while hatefully looking up UCLA first rounds picks, I thought the least I could do is help you out to include those respected NBA players 1999 and later "overlooked" by your inconsistent details:

JRUE HOLIDAY (1ST RND/#17)
DARREN COLLISON (1ST RND/#21)
RUSSELL WESTBROOK (1ST RND/#4)
KEVIN LOVE (1ST RND/#5)
ARON AFFLALO (1ST RND/#27)
JORDAN FARMAR (1ST RND/#27)
BARON DAVIS (1ST RND/#3)

You are too comical! Heh heh heh heh heh heh

Since: Jun 09

San Fernando Valley

#19368 Mar 27, 2013
Bruin For Life wrote:
<quoted text>those 5 players that were "busts" are more than the total of USC players even drafted!! bahahaha
Correct BFL. I only seem to recall 4 SUC players drafted first round since 2000 (Vucevic/DeRozan/Gibson/Mayo)!
Bruin Nation

North Hollywood, CA

#19369 Mar 27, 2013
Brew In wrote:
<quoted text>Welcome back Chosen Babeler right where you left off with your selective statistics that always conveniently miss data (harmful to you or SUC's reputation).
In case your computer had a glitch while hatefully looking up UCLA first rounds picks, I thought the least I could do is help you out to include those respected NBA players 1999 and later "overlooked" by your inconsistent details:
JRUE HOLIDAY (1ST RND/#17)
DARREN COLLISON (1ST RND/#21)
RUSSELL WESTBROOK (1ST RND/#4)
KEVIN LOVE (1ST RND/#5)
ARON AFFLALO (1ST RND/#27)
JORDAN FARMAR (1ST RND/#27)
BARON DAVIS (1ST RND/#3)
You are too comical! Heh heh heh heh heh heh
Oh Brewie, you just named most of Ben Howlands players. Where are we going to find a coach as half as good as ol Ben? You know no elite coach will even set foot in Westwood to talk about coaching our program. We've made a terrible mistake , even Bill Dwyer thinks our program is scum....Go Bruins!
Trojan

San Francisco, CA

#19370 Mar 27, 2013
Inland emperor Trojan wrote:
<quoted text>Hey bonehead -
1) If you were scouting a HS player ,wouldn't you rate his potential higher if you thought he was a junior with another year to improve ,rather than it being his last year as a senior?...the age thing was an effort to create an illusion that he is better than he is!
Amazing how the moron needs to have the simplest things explained to him!! And he's moronic enough to call other oeople stupid.

Almost makes you feel sorry for him. ALMOST. LOL!!!

Since: Jun 09

San Fernando Valley

#19371 Mar 27, 2013
Bruin Nation wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW I have been calling for BH's arse for three years now, Thank god he's gone, nice man, but lost touch with the players, RN was his downfall.
What's done is done, but sorry I need to say my seethe about the Howland firing as I am not sure if this won't reverse our reputation further into the abyss.

Today’s expectations for college basketball coaches is the heart of the problem. With the one and done option for these kids, it is hard to roster a cohesive team, and then be expected to restock when they move on for greener pa$tures.

Say what you will, but the Howland Era in Westwood ends with a not too shabby 233-107 during his decade at the helm of the Bruins. He won four conference titles in the past eight years and guided UCLA to the Final Four in three straight seasons from 2006-08.

But after that great start and then only having two NCAA tournament games, plus missing March Madness altogether twice in the three seasons before this year, having had a losing record in 2009-10, NBA level players bolting after just one freshman season, and unworthy players transferring made most Bruin faithful uneasy.

This season's expectations were quite high in Westwood with Howland bringing in the nation’s second-ranked recruiting class led of course by forward Shabazz Muhammad. And regardless that expectations are always high in Westwood, I heard everyone saying that it’s “final four and/or championship or bust”.

But is it really fair to compare all future UCLA coaches to the Wizard of Westwood? As we know, Wooden coached the Bruins 27 seasons, appearing in 12 final fours and winning 10 national championships.

But consider that the first 15 seasons for the Wizard resulted in ZERO final four appearances or national championships. With that 15-year stat alone and considering Howland's UCLA record, Wooden would've been relieved of his coaching duties (just as Howland) in today’s UCLA college basketball landscape.

Again what is done is done and I hope we find the right fit (I like Fey from Gonzaga or Stevens from Butler) but I still think Howland made players more NBA ready than any college coach I can think of. Howland did a solid job, it just wasn't a Wizard job!

Obviously less patience and teaching is no longer the name of the game today. Hopefully whoever we do land, our fans will think is more "Wooden-like" in coaching philosophy and appearance along with more "Wizard-like" results IF given the proper time!

Go Bruins!!!
Bruin Nation

North Hollywood, CA

#19372 Mar 27, 2013
Brew In wrote:
<quoted text>What's done is done, but sorry I need to say my seethe about the Howland firing as I am not sure if this won't reverse our reputation further into the abyss.
Today’s expectations for college basketball coaches is the heart of the problem. With the one and done option for these kids, it is hard to roster a cohesive team, and then be expected to restock when they move on for greener pa$tures.
Say what you will, but the Howland Era in Westwood ends with a not too shabby 233-107 during his decade at the helm of the Bruins. He won four conference titles in the past eight years and guided UCLA to the Final Four in three straight seasons from 2006-08.
But after that great start and then only having two NCAA tournament games, plus missing March Madness altogether twice in the three seasons before this year, having had a losing record in 2009-10, NBA level players bolting after just one freshman season, and unworthy players transferring made most Bruin faithful uneasy.
This season's expectations were quite high in Westwood with Howland bringing in the nation’s second-ranked recruiting class led of course by forward Shabazz Muhammad. And regardless that expectations are always high in Westwood, I heard everyone saying that it’s “final four and/or championship or bust”.
But is it really fair to compare all future UCLA coaches to the Wizard of Westwood? As we know, Wooden coached the Bruins 27 seasons, appearing in 12 final fours and winning 10 national championships.
But consider that the first 15 seasons for the Wizard resulted in ZERO final four appearances or national championships. With that 15-year stat alone and considering Howland's UCLA record, Wooden would've been relieved of his coaching duties (just as Howland) in today’s UCLA college basketball landscape.
Again what is done is done and I hope we find the right fit (I like Fey from Gonzaga or Stevens from Butler) but I still think Howland made players more NBA ready than any college coach I can think of. Howland did a solid job, it just wasn't a Wizard job!
Obviously less patience and teaching is no longer the name of the game today. Hopefully whoever we do land, our fans will think is more "Wooden-like" in coaching philosophy and appearance along with more "Wizard-like" results IF given the proper time!
Go Bruins!!!
Wonderfully said Brewie! Brings tears to my True Blue Bruin eyes...The only thing you forgot to mention was that without Sam Gilbert there would have not been a Wizard. Otherwise spot on....Go Bruins!!!
UCLAN SAM

North Hollywood, CA

#19373 Mar 27, 2013
I say fellow Bruins why such denial of our BB program? I am one who acknowledges that Sam Gilbert was a major force in our success,unfortunately in our current situation we need a Sam Gilbert more than we need a John Wooden. Wooden went 15 years without Papa Sam which equaled 0 titles, with Papa Sam 10 titles 12 final fours....The search for a new Sam must be top priority....Go Bruins!

“TROJANS "OWN" L.A. FOOTBALL”

Since: Jul 10

San Marino, CA

#19374 Mar 27, 2013
Brew In wrote:
<quoted text>Welcome back Chosen Babeler right where you left off with your selective statistics that always conveniently miss data (harmful to you or SUC's reputation).
In case your computer had a glitch while hatefully looking up UCLA first rounds picks, I thought the least I could do is help you out to include those respected NBA players 1999 and later "overlooked" by your inconsistent details:
JRUE HOLIDAY (1ST RND/#17)
DARREN COLLISON (1ST RND/#21)
RUSSELL WESTBROOK (1ST RND/#4)
KEVIN LOVE (1ST RND/#5)
ARON AFFLALO (1ST RND/#27)
JORDAN FARMAR (1ST RND/#27)
BARON DAVIS (1ST RND/#3)
You are too comical! Heh heh heh heh heh heh
Well I am sure you could look up most colleges that routinely put players into the NBA and find both successes and failure for both. I just want to make sure you (B)ruins realize that your school is not above anyone else and definitely below others...

“Love El Monte & my trojans”

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#19375 Mar 27, 2013
UCLAN SAM wrote:
I say fellow Bruins why such denial of our BB program? I am one who acknowledges that Sam Gilbert was a major force in our success,unfortunately in our current situation we need a Sam Gilbert more than we need a John Wooden. Wooden went 15 years without Papa Sam which equaled 0 titles, with Papa Sam 10 titles 12 final fours....The search for a new Sam must be top priority....Go Bruins!
Oh Sam, your MY kind of fellow, I just love all the el monte fans out there,
Fight On girls, Fight on

“TROJANS "OWN" L.A. FOOTBALL”

Since: Jul 10

San Marino, CA

#19376 Mar 27, 2013
Brew In wrote:
<quoted text>What's done is done, but sorry I need to say my seethe about the Howland firing as I am not sure if this won't reverse our reputation further into the abyss.
Today’s expectations for college basketball coaches is the heart of the problem. With the one and done option for these kids, it is hard to roster a cohesive team, and then be expected to restock when they move on for greener pa$tures.
Say what you will, but the Howland Era in Westwood ends with a not too shabby 233-107 during his decade at the helm of the Bruins. He won four conference titles in the past eight years and guided UCLA to the Final Four in three straight seasons from 2006-08.
But after that great start and then only having two NCAA tournament games, plus missing March Madness altogether twice in the three seasons before this year, having had a losing record in 2009-10, NBA level players bolting after just one freshman season, and unworthy players transferring made most Bruin faithful uneasy.
This season's expectations were quite high in Westwood with Howland bringing in the nation’s second-ranked recruiting class led of course by forward Shabazz Muhammad. And regardless that expectations are always high in Westwood, I heard everyone saying that it’s “final four and/or championship or bust”.
But is it really fair to compare all future UCLA coaches to the Wizard of Westwood? As we know, Wooden coached the Bruins 27 seasons, appearing in 12 final fours and winning 10 national championships.
But consider that the first 15 seasons for the Wizard resulted in ZERO final four appearances or national championships. With that 15-year stat alone and considering Howland's UCLA record, Wooden would've been relieved of his coaching duties (just as Howland) in today’s UCLA college basketball landscape.
Again what is done is done and I hope we find the right fit (I like Fey from Gonzaga or Stevens from Butler) but I still think Howland made players more NBA ready than any college coach I can think of. Howland did a solid job, it just wasn't a Wizard job!
Obviously less patience and teaching is no longer the name of the game today. Hopefully whoever we do land, our fans will think is more "Wooden-like" in coaching philosophy and appearance along with more "Wizard-like" results IF given the proper time!
Go Bruins!!!
Good job, this post is actually heart felt and insightful. Every once in awhile you (B)ruins (yes EVEN Rob) makes a comment that is a good representation of a subject without any hype or slant.

“TROJANS "OWN" L.A. FOOTBALL”

Since: Jul 10

San Marino, CA

#19377 Mar 27, 2013
CPEM wrote:
<quoted text>
I was on campus in 2006 the day RB5, ML11, LDW21, et al, had their Pro Day. Talk about a spotlight; Loker Stadium was jam-packed!
Heard MB7 killed it today and the arm strength/injury issue was put to rest! Looking forward to yet another first round pick for of a Trojan!

FIGHT ON
Trojan

San Francisco, CA

#19378 Mar 27, 2013
Bruin Nation wrote:
<quoted text>
Wonderfully said Brewie! Brings tears to my True Blue Bruin eyes...The only thing you forgot to mention was that without Sam Gilbert there would have not been a Wizard. Otherwise spot on....Go Bruins!!!
They like to ignore that simple fact.
Bruin Nation

North Hollywood, CA

#19379 Mar 27, 2013
Brew In wrote:
<quoted text>Welcome back Chosen Babeler right where you left off with your selective statistics that always conveniently miss data (harmful to you or SUC's reputation).
In case your computer had a glitch while hatefully looking up UCLA first rounds picks, I thought the least I could do is help you out to include those respected NBA players 1999 and later "overlooked" by your inconsistent details:
JRUE HOLIDAY (1ST RND/#17)
DARREN COLLISON (1ST RND/#21)
RUSSELL WESTBROOK (1ST RND/#4)
KEVIN LOVE (1ST RND/#5)
ARON AFFLALO (1ST RND/#27)
JORDAN FARMAR (1ST RND/#27)
BARON DAVIS (1ST RND/#3)
You are too comical! Heh heh heh heh heh heh
Ya I agree. To keep with our Great Bruin Tradition I heard that Dan Guerrero is about to name UCLA Alum Bruce McNall as the new Sam Gilbert to our BB program. Bruce is an honest man and a Bruin! Happy days are here again!....Go Bruins!
Bruin For Life

United States

#19381 Mar 27, 2013
Getting not Herring

“TROJANS "OWN" L.A. FOOTBALL”

Since: Jul 10

San Marino, CA

#19382 Mar 27, 2013
Trojan wrote:
<quoted text>
They like to ignore that simple fact.
Well at this point it is what is is, and the Gilbert/Wooden era will not diminish the fact that they are recognized with those basketball banners in their rafters. Just like I wont let the Trojan haters attempt to diminish the domination of the USC/Pete Carroll football era and the bullcrap some try to pull asking to take away any of our WON-ON-THE-FIELD championships!

FIGHT ON

“Love El Monte & my trojans”

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#19383 Mar 27, 2013
Chosen Traveler wrote:
<quoted text>Well at this point it is what is is, and the Gilbert/Wooden era will not diminish the fact that they are recognized with those basketball banners in their rafters. Just like I wont let the Trojan haters attempt to diminish the domination of the USC/Pete Carroll football era and the bullcrap some try to pull asking to take away any of our WON-ON-THE-FIELD championships!
FIGHT ON
Fight On Ct Fight On
Bruin Nation

North Hollywood, CA

#19384 Mar 27, 2013
fight__on wrote:
<quoted text>
Fight On Ct Fight On
Ya I agree, I love your Bruin Blue and Gold make up ;). I have to ask where you get it done, I can't seem to find that shade of blue you must tell me your secret. Howz about a cruise in my 66 Chevelle in macho Bruin Blue. I'm cruising Montebllo HS tomorrow looking for the next BFL, you ought to ride shot gun with me toots....Go Bruins!
Bruin For Life

North Hollywood, CA

#19385 Mar 27, 2013
Bruin Nation wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya I agree. To keep with our Great Bruin Tradition I heard that Dan Guerrero is about to name UCLA Alum Bruce McNall as the new Sam Gilbert to our BB program. Bruce is an honest man and a Bruin! Happy days are here again!....Go Bruins!
Bruce McNall! One of the greatest Bruins of all time...I can't wait!!! Go Bruins!
Trojan

La Habra, CA

#19386 Mar 27, 2013
Chosen Traveler wrote:
<quoted text>Well at this point it is what is is, and the Gilbert/Wooden era will not diminish the fact that they are recognized with those basketball banners in their rafters. Just like I wont let the Trojan haters attempt to diminish the domination of the USC/Pete Carroll football era and the bullcrap some try to pull asking to take away any of our WON-ON-THE-FIELD championships!
FIGHT ON
OK, CT, you must be hungover. I know you're not this slow.

I'm OK with acknowledging the banners w/o mentioning the improprieties. But idiots in Westwood shouldn't rag on USC for its improprieties, if they're going to try and deny their own. For the little bitches who cry, "There wasn't a finding in JW's case", they're just showing what morons they are. The NCAA's compliance department of the 60's can't possibly be compared to the compliance of the 2000's...primarily due to technology.

Everyone with a brain knows they had professional players up & down that Bruin roster. In fact, one dumbass even set the standard when referring to USC football players...if a Trojan says players are being paid, they must be. So, since Walton has admitted it, it must have also been the csse when JW was the coach.

It's either one way or the other for BOTH. But not this way for one and that way for the other. Only an IDIOT would try to use one set of rules for USC and another set of rules for the Bruin.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Pasadena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How should an angry liberal celebrate the Fourt... 55 min Mnbvc 559
If your brains were half the size of your mouth... 2 hr Cancer Jack 7
Review: McDonald's 5 hr ThomasA 2
News Thousands march in L.A. for impeachment of Trum... 8 hr ThomasA 9
JCS admits scamming Mtb 10 hr Just a thought 14
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 13 hr Twaune12 20,977
Montebello Council meeting 071217 15 hr Ready to rumble 17

South Pasadena Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Pasadena Mortgages