"STEER TAILING" - a rodeo event - ILLEGAL?

Posted in the South Pasadena Forum

Eric Mills

Mendocino, CA

#1 Feb 9, 2014
This just in from the California State Legislative Counsel (2/6/14), regarding the practice of "steer tailing" (a standard event at the Mexican-style rodeo called "charreada"):

"To summarize, the practice of steer tailing is not prohibited per se by the animal cruelty laws. It is our opinion, however, that in applying the factors discussed above to the particular circumstances and consequences of steer tailing, a court, depending on the facts and evidence presented in a particular case, could conclude that the practice violates one or more of the animal cruelty laws."

The steer's tail may be stripped to the bone ("degloved"), even torn off. And horses sometimes suffer broken legs when the steers run the wrong way.

The folks who practice this event at the Pico Rivera Equestrian Center could be facing citations and fines, it seems. Be forewarned.
Randy Janssen

San Antonio, TX

#2 Feb 10, 2014
Eric Mills is a nervous Nelly, who has been whining about cola or what he calls steer tailing for years. He also complains about calf roping, bull dogging and steer busting. He is not so vocal about those sports though. Some say he does not have the cajones to take on rodeo. The fact is cola is not as dangerous to animals as calf roping or steer busting. For those of you who have never seen it, here is an unedited video. It s not for nervous Nelly, but if you have some cajones, it should not bother you.

http://youtu.be/zzIdyTkrV6U
Eric Mills

Mendocino, CA

#3 Jul 5, 2014
Randy Janssen wrote:
Eric Mills is a nervous Nelly, who has been whining about cola or what he calls steer tailing for years. He also complains about calf roping, bull dogging and steer busting. He is not so vocal about those sports though. Some say he does not have the cajones to take on rodeo. The fact is cola is not as dangerous to animals as calf roping or steer busting. For those of you who have never seen it, here is an unedited video. It s not for nervous Nelly, but if you have some cajones, it should not bother you.
http://youtu.be/zzIdyTkrV6U
Mr. Janssen, you need to check your facts before you mouth off so erroneously. I was working on rodeo issues back in the early 1980's. I helped to draft the rodeo animal welfare policies for both the Rowell Ranch in Hayward, and at the Solano County Fair about the same time. In 1999 I drafted and sponsored the very best rodeo law in the country (Penal Code 596.7)--not perfect, but better than anything else out there. Also helped Rhode Island ban calf roping back in 1989, the only state to have done so. I'd much sooner be a "Nervous Nelly" than totally lacking in compassion and/or empathy.
Can steer tailing be far behind? Here in California, Alameda and Contra Costa Counties outlawed this cruelty in 1993. Nebraska did likewise in 2009.
For anyone with a masochistic bent, I'd suggest you take a look at Mr. Janssen's improbable website: www.legalizehorsetripping.com (I'm not making this up). Mr. Janssen is a long-time horse-tripper and charreada promoter based in San Antonio, TX. And a lawyer, if you can believe. Takes all kinds, I guess.
Cheers,
Eric "Nervous Nelly" Mills, coordinator
ACTION FOR ANIMALS
Oakland

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Pasadena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 3 hr Fight On 27,930
What is the Worst Feature of the Proposed Monte... (Jan '14) 4 hr Theolona Ranger 90
Review: Crystal Pacific Window and Door System (Aug '10) 4 hr Paul 17
Council rejects Kare offer (Sep '08) 4 hr Lena 253
Montebello dependent on imported Water Supply (Aug '13) 5 hr Theolona Ranger 239
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 7 hr True blue 19,387
WARNING ALERT!: Ebola hits NYC: CrossFit Solace... 10 hr ALERT 1

Beach Hazards Statement for Los Angeles County was issued at October 24 at 8:52PM PDT

South Pasadena News Video

South Pasadena Dating
Find my Match

South Pasadena Jobs

South Pasadena People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

South Pasadena News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in South Pasadena

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]