Touhey leaving West Covina council to take up water battle

Aug 20, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Whittier Daily News

West Covina Mayor Mike Touhey is stepping down from the council dais after 16 years in office, hoping to instead dive into the region's water fights.

Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated Dec 16, 2012
Steve

Baldwin Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2012

By Steve Scauzillo, SGVN

Upper San Gabriel Valley Municipal Water District candidates Michael Touhey and Bill Robinson (Hand in Photos)
West Covina Mayor Mike Touhey is stepping down from the council dais after 16 years in office, hoping to instead dive into the region's water fights.

Touhey is vying for a seat on the Upper San Gabriel Valley Municipal Water District, challenging 23-year water board veteran William "Bill" Robinson.

The race is shaping up to be one of November's biggest local election battles, despite being within the obscure world of local water boards, pitting two long-time West Covina politicians in a head-to-head fight.

The water district is charged with distributing imported and local water supplies to 17 cities in the San Gabriel Valley - an increasingly difficult task considering the state's water-supply challenges.

Touhey, 50, said win or lose, he will be stepping down from the West Covina City Council. His term ends in December 2013.

"I will not hold on to both seats. I will resign (from the City Council)," he said. "I am not running for re-election for that (city) seat no matter what happens with this race."

Robinson has held on to the seat since 1988, surviving challenges from Andy McIntrye, a water resources manager, in 2008 and West Covina Unified School District board member Mike Spence in 2004.

He is often the odd-man out on board votes and served for a short time as the board's representative to the powerful Metropolitan Water District but was stripped of that position by his fellow board members. Instead, the board moved to place a citizen who is not from the board nor elected, Steven Millard of Covina, into that slot, a highly unusual move.

Robinson, who did not answer emails Monday and never posts his phone number with the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk, lists degrees in chemistry and economics as "biographical highlights" with the League of Women Voters website.

The bearded, fiercely independent board member often lapses into tirades against other board members and is said to walk out of meetings and closed sessions. He describes himself on the League website as "never endorsed by water interests."

"Bill is an oddity. He doesn't always get the support because of some of his tactics. I can bring consensus with the other board members," Touhey said.

Touhey has gained endorsements from Azusa Mayor Joe Rocha and City Councilman Robert Gonzalez, as well as Covina City Councilman Walt Allen.

"I am running on my record on environmental issues like BKK. I kept my promise and closed the BKK Landfill (in West Covina) and prevented more damage from being done to the water table in West Covina and surrounding cities," he said.

Also running is Royall Brown, who runs nearly every election in Robinson's District 4.

In 2008 and 2004, Brown garnered about 22 percent and 24 percent of the vote respectively but always came in third.

Also in the Upper District elections, board member Charles Trevino of South Pasadena will face challenger Robert W. Bates, a mediator/educator in November in the race for District 2.

And former Assemblyman Ed Chavez, who holds the seat in District 3, drew challenges from Lizet Angulo, Paul Solano and John Lozano. All are from La Puente.
Steve

Baldwin Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2012

In the Three Valleys Municipal Water District, which runs from Walnut to Claremont, only one-term incumbent John Mendoza is being challenged. Mendoza, 59, of Pomona, an activist studying at Mt. SAC to be a water operator, will face Jerry Perez, a utilities supervisor and John (Fred) Lantz, an engineer and business owner. Mendoza defeated Lantz in 2008.

Three Valleys board members Bob Kuhn of Glendora, David DeJesus of Covina, and Dan Horan of West Covina are not challenged.

"It is not a good thing for the ratepayers and not good for the democratic process to continuously elect people without a challenger," Mendoza said. "I am tested. And I'll be out there again to re-introduce myself."

At the San Gabriel Valley Municipal Water District, also known as the "four-cities district" because it only includes Alhambra, Sierra Madre, Monterey Park and Azusa, Division 3 incumbent Joseph Reichenberger is being challenged by Thomas Wong. Both are from Monterey Park.
Steve

Baldwin Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2012

By Steve Scauzillo, SGVN
twitter.com/stevscaz

Posted: 08/20/2012 08:38:35 PM PDT

Upper San Gabriel Valley Municipal Water District candidates Michael Touhey and Bill Robinson (Hand in Photos)

Touhey is vying for a seat on the Upper San Gabriel Valley Municipal Water District, challenging 23-year water board veteran William "Bill" Robinson.

The race is shaping up to be one of November's biggest local election battles, despite being within the obscure world of local water boards, pitting two long-time West Covina politicians in a head-to-head fight.

The water district is charged with distributing imported and local water supplies to 17 cities in the San Gabriel Valley - an increasingly difficult task considering the state's water-supply challenges.

Touhey, 50, said win or lose, he will be stepping down from the West Covina City Council. His term ends in December 2013.

"I will not hold on to both seats. I will resign (from the City Council)," he said. "I am not running for re-election for that (city) seat no matter what happens with this race."

Robinson has held on to the seat since 1988, surviving challenges from Andy McIntrye, a water resources manager, in 2008 and West Covina Unified School District board member Mike Spence in 2004.

He is often the odd-man out on board votes and served for a short time as the board's representative to the powerful Metropolitan Water District but was stripped of that position by his fellow board members. Instead, the board moved to place a citizen who is not from the board nor elected, Steven Millard of Covina, into that slot, a highly unusual move.

Robinson, who did not answer emails Monday and never posts his phone number with the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk, lists degrees in chemistry and economics as "biographical highlights" with the League of Women Voters website.

The bearded, fiercely independent board member often lapses into tirades against other board members and is said to walk out of meetings and closed sessions. He describes himself on the League website as "never endorsed by water interests."

"Bill is an oddity. He doesn't always get the support because of some of his tactics. I can bring consensus with the other board members," Touhey said.

Touhey has gained endorsements from Azusa Mayor Joe Rocha and City Councilman Robert Gonzalez, as well as Covina City Councilman Walt Allen.

"I am running on my record on environmental issues like BKK. I kept my promise and closed the BKK Landfill (in West Covina) and prevented more damage from being done to the water table in West Covina and surrounding cities," he said.

Also running is Royall Brown, who runs nearly every election in Robinson's District 4.

In 2008 and 2004, Brown garnered about 22 percent and 24 percent of the vote respectively but always came in third.

Also in the Upper District elections, board member Charles Trevino of South Pasadena will face challenger Robert W. Bates, a mediator/educator in November in the race for District 2.

And former Assemblyman Ed Chavez, who holds the seat in District 3, drew challenges from Lizet Angulo, Paul Solano and John Lozano. All are from La Puente.

Read more: Touhey leaving West Covina council to take up water battle - Whittier Daily News http://www.whittierdailynews.com/news/ci_2135...
Donut Touhey

Baldwin Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2012

Judged:

Touhey is a corrupt politician. I known him since the late 90s when he formed his majority in West Covina. Hes dirty and has run West Covina into insolvency. He lied to everyone and now wants to steal money in the water district
Jelly touhey

Baldwin Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

Touhey is a corrupt politician from the word GO.

I known him since the late 90s when he formed his own (expanding waistline) majority in West Covina.

He is dirty and has run West Covina, California into insolvency.

He lied to everyone and now wants to steal money in the water district.
Been there

West Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Judged:

If Touhey wins the water seat and leaves the council, the majority will just appoint another flunky to take his place. Sad.
Fat Man

Azusa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Judged:

Did West Covina run out of money for Fat Man Touhey to steal ? Is that the reason he is leaving W.C. before they file B.K.? This guy has no shame
thief

Walnut, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

this guy touhey is a thief

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

South Pasadena News Video

•••
•••

South Pasadena Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

South Pasadena People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE