First Prev
of 4
Next Last
momsscared

Faber, VA

#1 Apr 20, 2014
My 24 yr old daughters 40 yr old Pittsburgh " boyfriend" tells her that if she moves there and starts her son in the public school system and he graduates 12th, then the city of Pittsburgh will pay for his four year college education ?? Is this true? And what is Woodland Avenue like?
Tony

Mckeesport, PA

#2 Apr 21, 2014
momsscared wrote:
My 24 yr old daughters 40 yr old Pittsburgh " boyfriend" tells her that if she moves there and starts her son in the public school system and he graduates 12th, then the city of Pittsburgh will pay for his four year college education ?? Is this true? And what is Woodland Avenue like?
Hell no its not true. Sounds like your daughter is talking to a sicko.

“Comfort the afflicted”

Since: May 13

Afflict the comfortable

#3 Apr 21, 2014
It's kinda true. But in all likelihood, there is a similar "Promise" scholarship where you live.

https://pittsburghpromise.org/earn.php
momsscared

Winfield, WV

#4 Apr 21, 2014
Tony wrote:
<quoted text>Hell no its not true. Sounds like your daughter is talking to a sicko.
Thank you Tony. I feel the same way. The last time she was at his place, her car was shot. I feel if he really loved her, he would move to a safer place. But he won't even talk to me. I've even tried to make him mad enough to talk but he won't. I'm praying hard the relationship ends. Why can't he move down here where I have an acre of land and a 15 room house? Because he can't leave his 18 year old daughter that lives with her mother. And no, there's no program here that covers fully all four years of college.
Tony

Mckeesport, PA

#5 Apr 21, 2014
momsscared wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Tony. I feel the same way. The last time she was at his place, her car was shot. I feel if he really loved her, he would move to a safer place. But he won't even talk to me. I've even tried to make him mad enough to talk but he won't. I'm praying hard the relationship ends. Why can't he move down here where I have an acre of land and a 15 room house? Because he can't leave his 18 year old daughter that lives with her mother. And no, there's no program here that covers fully all four years of college.
Well I only assumed your daughter was speaking to somebody online who was filling her head with b.s but if a program like the one linked above is what he was referring I guess the child could receive free education if all the credentials are met. I surely never heard of programs like this. I must of just became used to the lefts logic of if your poor and from an urban area there is no hope for higher education. Go figure.

“Comfort the afflicted”

Afflict the comfortable

#6 Apr 21, 2014
Tony wrote:
<quoted text> Well I only assumed your daughter was speaking to somebody online who was filling her head with b.s but if a program like the one linked above is what he was referring I guess the child could receive free education if all the credentials are met. I surely never heard of programs like this. I must of just became used to the lefts logic of if your poor and from an urban area there is no hope for higher education. Go figure.
Not "no hope," just far less. Poor, urban children are more often concerned about dinner than homework when compared to children who have resources. I realize your solution to this has thus far been to cut food stamps and education funding, but that, like every republican undertaking over the past 15 years - from Iraq to the hunt for bin Laden to repealing the ACA - is just another failure.
Tony

Mckeesport, PA

#7 Apr 21, 2014
bacon hater wrote:
<quoted text>
Not "no hope," just far less. Poor, urban children are more often concerned about dinner than homework when compared to children who have resources. I realize your solution to this has thus far been to cut food stamps and education funding, but that, like every republican undertaking over the past 15 years - from Iraq to the hunt for bin Laden to repealing the ACA - is just another failure.
I never said cut either. I grew up on grub stubs and free church food. Im not sure what republicians and bin laden have to do with people in urban areas being informed about college options. The reason I threw the left under the bus is because they are generally the party who attacks education issues for poor people but all I hear is what fixes are needed and how the system is so flawed and stacked against the poor instead of devoting some time informing people that there are good programs that can be taken advantage of.

“Comfort the afflicted”

Afflict the comfortable

#8 Apr 21, 2014
Tony wrote:
<quoted text> I never said cut either. I grew up on grub stubs and free church food. Im not sure what republicians and bin laden have to do with people in urban areas being informed about college options. The reason I threw the left under the bus is because they are generally the party who attacks education issues for poor people but all I hear is what fixes are needed and how the system is so flawed and stacked against the poor instead of devoting some time informing people that there are good programs that can be taken advantage of.
Republicans cut funding for inner city schools, not democrats. And there are good programs. But the problem lies with their performance criteria. It is less likely for a poor student who has un-involved parents and no resources to achieve a 2.5 GPA than for a student who has good parents and resources available. That's inarguable. So the odds of a poor students reaping the benefits of these programs are lower not because of intelligence, but because they are poor. That isn't fair by any stretch. The playing field for academic success is slanted toward children's financial means as much as their mental acuity.
Tony

Mckeesport, PA

#9 Apr 21, 2014
And still don't understand why kids are starving with the accesibility to food stamps and such. Its not much but it is surely enough to get by on. These "parents" who are letting this happen need some serious education or their children taken away.

“Comfort the afflicted”

Afflict the comfortable

#10 Apr 21, 2014
Tony wrote:
And still don't understand why kids are starving with the accesibility to food stamps and such. Its not much but it is surely enough to get by on. These "parents" who are letting this happen need some serious education or their children taken away.
It's $1.30 per meal. It is impossible to "get by on."

“Comfort the afflicted”

Afflict the comfortable

#11 Apr 21, 2014
Tony

Mckeesport, PA

#12 Apr 21, 2014
bacon hater wrote:
<quoted text>
It's $1.30 per meal. It is impossible to "get by on."
Its $1.50 and what your saying is that for a mother with 2 children could not feed them with $390.00 a month? Not to mention kids having access to free breakfast and lunch during school hours and even during the summer months? Having very accessible food banks, church food programs, etc? Really? Your children would starve?

“Comfort the afflicted”

Afflict the comfortable

#13 Apr 21, 2014
Tony wrote:
<quoted text> Its $1.50 and what your saying is that for a mother with 2 children could not feed them with $390.00 a month? Not to mention kids having access to free breakfast and lunch during school hours and even during the summer months? Having very accessible food banks, church food programs, etc? Really? Your children would starve?
Starve? No. They would eat poorly. No lean cuts of meat, lots of processed grains and breads. Heavy carbohydrates, few fresh foods. Food banks help a lot of families during that last week when they must skip meals. Church food programs are a joke.

But the point remains that 41 percent of people on food stamps have jobs and support children. Our food stamp program is little more than payroll compensation for Wal-Mart and our fast food conglomerates. Raising the minimum wage would drop our food stamp numbers by around 30 percent. But instead, your party blocks minimum wage increases and cuts food stamps for millions of working families who already can't afford to feed their children properly, not to mention the million military members' families who need them to survive. And at the same time INCREASE corporate welfare.

But that's life on Planet Teabag. Duped into thinking poor people are the problem with the economy while the rich take more tax dollars in corporate welfare than all programs aimed at the poor combined.

“Comfort the afflicted”

Afflict the comfortable

#15 Apr 22, 2014
momsscared wrote:
Well thank you both. I never intended for anyone to argue. I'm just a concerned mother and grandmother who thought I'd go to the people who lived there. I know in my heart there's something not right with this man so I will continue to pray the situation changes. And we do have the Promise Scholarship here in WV as well but it doesn't start until high school as it does in PA. Again, thank you.
No argue - that's what this site is for. The Promise scholarship in WV isn't very good. And don't "pray the situation changes." Change it in real life. And remember that we all had to learn a lot of lessons the hard way.
Tony

Mckeesport, PA

#16 Apr 22, 2014
bacon hater wrote:
<quoted text>
Starve? No. They would eat poorly. No lean cuts of meat, lots of processed grains and breads. Heavy carbohydrates, few fresh foods. Food banks help a lot of families during that last week when they must skip meals. Church food programs are a joke.
But the point remains that 41 percent of people on food stamps have jobs and support children. Our food stamp program is little more than payroll compensation for Wal-Mart and our fast food conglomerates. Raising the minimum wage would drop our food stamp numbers by around 30 percent. But instead, your party blocks minimum wage increases and cuts food stamps for millions of working families who already can't afford to feed their children properly, not to mention the million military members' families who need them to survive. And at the same time INCREASE corporate welfare.
But that's life on Planet Teabag. Duped into thinking poor people are the problem with the economy while the rich take more tax dollars in corporate welfare than all programs aimed at the poor combined.
Exactly. You should not starve with these programs. I find it extremly weak to say children are disregarding homework and higher education because they are just to overwehelmed and concerned with the fact that they just might have a dinner that does not consist of a "lean cut of meat". Do you really think if you increase welfare from $400.00 dollars monthly to say $600.00 that a single mother of 2 will start to buy higher quality leans cuts of meat instead of bulk? You really think she would buy 2 pounds of grass fed beef versus 4 pounds of 80/20? Start shopping at whole foods instead of Walmart? I know many people that grew up on hamburger helper and cool aid and still worked extremely hard in school. Its this dumb liberal entitlement party B.S. thinking that if we throw more money around it will fix this situation and obviously nobody is falling for falling for it. How about some education for these idiot parents who are letting children starve? Or are you afraid if you suggest that vs more money you will be called a racist?
Tony

Mckeesport, PA

#17 Apr 22, 2014
You should take all of your so called liberal academics over to some of these countries in the middle east and watch kids eat out of garbage pits and drink from puddles than go to a school (if extremely lucky) and give 110% with a big smile.

“Comfort the afflicted”

Afflict the comfortable

#18 Apr 22, 2014
Tony wrote:
<quoted text> Exactly. You should not starve with these programs. I find it extremly weak to say children are disregarding homework and higher education because they are just to overwehelmed and concerned with the fact that they just might have a dinner that does not consist of a "lean cut of meat". Do you really think if you increase welfare from $400.00 dollars monthly to say $600.00 that a single mother of 2 will start to buy higher quality leans cuts of meat instead of bulk? You really think she would buy 2 pounds of grass fed beef versus 4 pounds of 80/20? Start shopping at whole foods instead of Walmart? I know many people that grew up on hamburger helper and cool aid and still worked extremely hard in school. Its this dumb liberal entitlement party B.S. thinking that if we throw more money around it will fix this situation and obviously nobody is falling for falling for it. How about some education for these idiot parents who are letting children starve? Or are you afraid if you suggest that vs more money you will be called a racist?
You're confused. No one is suggesting increasing the paltry allotment of food resources we give them. We are suggesting NOT CUTTING THEM, as your party has done to millions of families, children and veterans while increasing welfare payouts to corporations.

And of course they need more education. But that, too, is cut by the GOP at every turn.

And yes, it stands to reason that if they had greater resources, they would be able to buy healthier food. But again, no one is suggesting that.

One in 6 kids go to school hungry. It is definitely a pervasive concern among US children. And asking children that have these concerns coupled with a lack of resources - everything from parents to help with homework to internet access - to compete against children with resources is dumb. It will never work.

And again, a huge portion of SNAP recipients could be taken off the rolls instantly with a minimum wage increase commensurate with inflation. But that too is blocked by the GOP.

So again, stop bitching about the jobs you lost and the economy you destroyed while actively restricting its repair. It's asinine, and it's why you can't win an election and are laughed at by the world.
Tony

Mckeesport, PA

#19 Apr 22, 2014
bacon hater wrote:
<quoted text>
You're confused. No one is suggesting increasing the paltry allotment of food resources we give them. We are suggesting NOT CUTTING THEM, as your party has done to millions of families, children and veterans while increasing welfare payouts to corporations.
And of course they need more education. But that, too, is cut by the GOP at every turn.
And yes, it stands to reason that if they had greater resources, they would be able to buy healthier food. But again, no one is suggesting that.
One in 6 kids go to school hungry. It is definitely a pervasive concern among US children. And asking children that have these concerns coupled with a lack of resources - everything from parents to help with homework to internet access - to compete against children with resources is dumb. It will never work.
And again, a huge portion of SNAP recipients could be taken off the rolls instantly with a minimum wage increase commensurate with inflation. But that too is blocked by the GOP.
So again, stop bitching about the jobs you lost and the economy you destroyed while actively restricting its repair. It's asinine, and it's why you can't win an election and are laughed at by the world.
President Obama signs $8.7 billion food stamp cut into law. http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/obama-signs-food-s... Are you speaking of these cuts? Its is unfortunate that the poor have to suffer but when our government is spending $1.003 trillion a year more than Bush (and he was waging war on half the damm world) unfortunately this is what happens. Now its children are going to school hungry. I went to school everyday hungry unit I got there and received a free breakfast. Ever heard of the National School Lunch Program? Im not aware of any poor, urban schools that are not participants. To top that off "Comcast offers low-cost Internet service, computer equipment and free digital literacy training to families with at least one child eligible to participate in the National School Lunch Program".

-Home Internet service for $9.95* per month;
-The option to buy a computer for $149.99*; and
-Access to online, in print and in classroom digital literacy training free of charge

Surely cut are being made to education among with many other thing but I think you yourself even noted it is possible to receive up to 40k in grants through programs like the Pittsburgh promise. In need of completely free adult education and anything else ranging from cell phones to home repairs at no cost (they actually gave my grandmother a free furnace and insulated every window in her home lat year) well heres where you can find help for that. http://www.alleghenycounty.us/dhs/help.aspx

Your most likely not aware of such help because you and the liberal media are too busy bitching about what you don't have and obsessing with George Bush.
Tony

Mckeesport, PA

#20 Apr 22, 2014
There's nothing scarier to you liberals than people living their lives as they please without wanting or needing the government to nanny them. Its like you want the government to issue you somebody to help walk you through life.

“Comfort the afflicted”

Afflict the comfortable

#21 Apr 22, 2014
Tony wrote:
<quoted text> President Obama signs $8.7 billion food stamp cut into law. http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/obama-signs-food-s... Are you speaking of these cuts? Its is unfortunate that the poor have to suffer but when our government is spending $1.003 trillion a year more than Bush (and he was waging war on half the damm world) unfortunately this is what happens. Now its children are going to school hungry. I went to school everyday hungry unit I got there and received a free breakfast. Ever heard of the National School Lunch Program? Im not aware of any poor, urban schools that are not participants. To top that off "Comcast offers low-cost Internet service, computer equipment and free digital literacy training to families with at least one child eligible to participate in the National School Lunch Program".
-Home Internet service for $9.95* per month;
-The option to buy a computer for $149.99*; and
-Access to online, in print and in classroom digital literacy training free of charge
Surely cut are being made to education among with many other thing but I think you yourself even noted it is possible to receive up to 40k in grants through programs like the Pittsburgh promise. In need of completely free adult education and anything else ranging from cell phones to home repairs at no cost (they actually gave my grandmother a free furnace and insulated every window in her home lat year) well heres where you can find help for that. http://www.alleghenycounty.us/dhs/help.aspx
Your most likely not aware of such help because you and the liberal media are too busy bitching about what you don't have and obsessing with George Bush.
Yes those cuts. And those wars? They were against the wrong country, were illegal, we lost them and Bush is an admitted international war criminal because of them.

Oh yeah - he also crashed the greatest economy in the history of man over them, along with his tax cuts for billionaires. It was the first time in American history that a president cut taxes and went to war at the same time. At least we know the results.

Obama inherited the largest deficit in US history. He has cut the deficit by more than any president in 60 years. The Bush administration were the most reckless spenders in history. Somebody had to rebuild his messes, and it wasn't free. He put his presidency on a Chinese credit card and you get upset when the bill comes due - typical tea bagger thinking.

There is lots of help available for people. That wasn't the contention though. It is why is the GOP so set on cutting the help for poor people WHILE INCREASING WELFARE FOR CORPORATIONS? You're duped into thinking we're being bled dry by the poor, when feeding them takes less than one percent of our budget. They keep you and your anger pointed downward at the poor while billionaires pay a smaller percentage of income taxes than I do. And you're falling for it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Most Racist City In America: Pittsburgh? [R... (Sep '12) 20 min Reality 127
whats next trump 1 hr Go Blue Forever 16
News Michelle Obama to campaign for Hillary Clinton ... 11 hr liberals smell 1
Hi Sun I C ewe 14
Any good schools in the area Sat Miner 69er 2
I miss Molly!!!! Sat LPPU 3
Keith Lamont WIfe's Own Video Fri Just Cause 1

South Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Park Mortgages