bell ans chemical companyc

Posted in the South Nyack Forum

muriel

Clifton Heights, PA

#1 Nov 22, 2008
I recently purchased about 100 miiature bttles, all with ell ans imprited on the side. I'm using them to go with a lgend I wrte for my faily every Christmas. Could you tell me something about the company? When it started, how long it lated, what they made, wher they buried all these btttles?
Thanks
Edward

De Forest, WI

#2 Mar 30, 2009
Bell-ans started as Bell Co. in 1897; produced Pa-pay-ans, widely used for relief of indigestion. Was still in operation as late as 1985.
Beverly

Lawrenceburg, KY

#3 Jan 27, 2010
I am trying to find bottles of the old Bell-Ans tablets. Does anyone know if they are still made or where they can be bought?
lil g

Arcadia, CA

#4 Nov 22, 2011
Beverly wrote:
I am trying to find bottles of the old Bell-Ans tablets. Does anyone know if they are still made or where they can be bought?
I'm a Pharm tech Student and came across a small bottle at Antique store.I just bought a small bottle to it a small brown bottle and the lid is made of somekind of medal.. on the top it say "^Bell-Ans Hot Water" It seems to have some kid of tablets the are silver and red.
Beverly

Pikeville, KY

#5 Nov 23, 2011
lil g wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a Pharm tech Student and came across a small bottle at Antique store.I just bought a small bottle to it a small brown bottle and the lid is made of somekind of medal.. on the top it say "^Bell-Ans Hot Water" It seems to have some kid of tablets the are silver and red.
If the tabs. are silver or red they are NOT Bell-Ans. I took Bell-Ans as a child and they are black. I think one of the major ingredients is charcoal.
Dean Shapiro

New Orleans, LA

#6 Jan 27, 2014
I don't know if anyone is still reading this post but I grew up in Orangeburg, NY and the Bell-Ans manufacturing company was less than a mile away from my house. It was a cluster of buildings on Greenbush Road, just off State Route 303. In the grassy area between 303 and Greenbush Road, there used to be a big sign with a red ball on top that said "Bell-Ans" though I can't remember what the rest of it said. The main building had the words "BELL-ANS" on the shingled roof in big capital letters. I still have a full bottle of Bell-Ans tablets with the original screw-on cap, the label, the box it came in, and even the cotton in the bottle between the tablets and the cap. The name Bell-Ans is also on the outside of the amber-colored rectangular bottle in raised letters.The pills are round and black and contain charcoal as one of the components. They were touted as cures for indigestion and other related stomach ailments. The full bottle was in my parents' medicine cabinet for many years until I finally removed it and added it to my old bottle collection. I also have an empty, cylindrical, amber-colored smaller Bell-Ans bottle with the name on the outside in raised letters, similar to the bottles pictured on e-Bay. I don't know much else about Bell-Ans and its history but I suspect it might have had a predecessor called Hollings-Smith Manufacturing Chemists. I have an old bottle from before 1900 with that name on it, along with the words "Orangeburg, New York, USA". After the plant closed they must have been renting space in the Bell-Ans complex because my father and a cousin had a wood shop there in which they made wooden trains for kids. Nearby was a horse-riding stable at the foot of the mountains and people would take the horses on the trails up the slopes or out on the track behind the stables. Adjacent to the stables were the former Rockland County Fairgrounds which stopped functioning sometime around the mid-1950s. I was very young while all this was happening there and don't remember too much from 55-60 years ago. A Volkswagen facility was later built where the Fairgrounds were and the stables shut down in the early '60s. Houses in the Bell-Ans Business Park were rented out by families and individuals at least up until the early 2000s and they may still be. I haven't been by there in over ten years. I've been living in New Orleans since 1981.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#7 Jan 30, 2014
Those houses are still occupied but they are dilapidated. In the 70s there was a business called "We resole sneakers" and a place that sold used blue jeans called Udelco. Now I think the big building is empty but not positive. I work in town I will check it out closer
James L Dodge

Nanuet, NY

#8 Jun 14, 2014
2eibt wrote:
Those houses are still occupied but they are dilapidated. In the 70s there was a business called "We resole sneakers" and a place that sold used blue jeans called Udelco. Now I think the big building is empty but not positive. I work in town I will check it out closer
I am the Owner of Bell-ans Park, it was built by my Great Grandfather John L Dodge. The houses have been refurbished and are occupied and the main building is almost fully rented with a variety of artists.
Cwik09

Cornwall, NY

#9 Oct 30, 2014
Hi there
So today I was working right on the shoulder of North 303 putting in new drainage. We where about 15feet deep in the ground and seen a little brown bottle and it says bell-ans on it also we found a lot of old yoo-hoo glass bottle and Pepsi bottle and coke and more with no names on it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Nyack Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
prison for dr. frederick winston Wed Jacqueline 1
Martone Auto Collision RIPPED ME OFF beware it ... Feb 21 John M 1
Review: Appliance Medic (Sep '09) Feb 17 KLamp 10
Save a Haverstraw Principal with Petition! Feb 14 save a rockland p... 1
POSTIGLIONE v. CASTRO (Aug '14) Feb 8 Gemma 8
Did the electrified third rail make train wreck... Feb 8 Makes Sense 1
New Rochelle Schools Superintendent Livid After... Feb 8 333stenbrian 1
South Nyack Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

South Nyack People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:31 pm PST

NBC Sports 8:31PM
AP sources: Bills, Browns in talks with quarterback McCown
Bleacher Report 9:00 PM
Can the Philadelphia Eagles Afford to Trade Up for Marcus Mariota?
NBC Sports 9:09 PM
Reports: Browns still in the mix for Josh McCown
Bleacher Report10:32 PM
Is Herremans Replacement Already on Roster?
NFL 5:17 AM
Kiko Alonso will 'definitely' be 100 percent by camp