South Milwaukee Alderman to vote Tuesday on bringing Walmart to the area

Nov 1, 2011 Full story: WTMJ-AM Milwaukee 6

South Milwaukee Aldermen will decide Tuesday night whether to allow Walmart to build a new store there.

Full Story
Yvonne

Oak Creek, WI

#1 Nov 1, 2011
I am really sad to see the aldermen of South Milwaukee not listen to the people who voted them in office. I sure hope no one gets hurt in a car accident. The traffic is already bad in the area. What were they thinking? Who is going to pay for
a police officer to site inside walmart for all the crime this store will bring to our quiet area? I really hope some recalls are going to be done. As elected officials the public has a say for you to listen to and respond to but to have closed ears is really sad for this city.
Yvonne

Oak Creek, WI

#2 Nov 1, 2011
Yvonne wrote:
I am really sad to see the aldermen of South Milwaukee not listen to the people who voted them in office. I sure hope no one gets hurt in a car accident. The traffic is already bad in the area. What were they thinking? Who is going to pay for a police officer to sit inside walmart for all the crime this store will bring to our quiet area? I really hope some recalls are going to be done. As elected officials the public has a say for you to listen to and respond to but to have closed ears is really sad for this city.
I live in South Milwaukee one block from site.
Linda

Milwaukee, WI

#3 Nov 2, 2011
Yvonne wrote:
I am really sad to see the aldermen of South Milwaukee not listen to the people who voted them in office. I sure hope no one gets hurt in a car accident. The traffic is already bad in the area. What were they thinking? Who is going to pay for
a police officer to site inside walmart for all the crime this store will bring to our quiet area? I really hope some recalls are going to be done. As elected officials the public has a say for you to listen to and respond to but to have closed ears is really sad for this city.
I would love to see a Walmart in South Milwaukee. It's a city, it should be busy, but it's practically a ghost town.
A Walmart doesn't have to equal more crime. Does Kmart cause crime?
I know the jobs don't pay $20 an hour, but people can gain experience and move on.
I was at the meeting, and I was so ashamed at the ignorance and rudeness of my neighbors.
lynn

Oak Creek, WI

#4 Nov 3, 2011
I fear most that this store will not be successful, because of the angry environment that was created by the council in not informing the citizens of South Milwaukee in advance to the deal that was sealed behind closed doors. They should have engaged and allowed the citizens to be part of the planning process to bring in a successful business partner. We all get that the land is a mess!! If it was their intent to bring in a big box retail store to this site than why did the council's team not involve the citizens of the immediate area in the planning of the size of the store, the store hours, which road should be their main entrance, etc.? The list of questions is endless, but they do not give a darn about the citizen’s opinions that is very clear. Why were they all so afraid allowing a referendum vote on this issue?

Many of citizens will not forget how disrespectful the South Milwaukee Council Persons who voted for this deal were during this three week process. They will bear the consequence that goes along with a yes vote and I am sure maybe a RECALL election or just flat campaign against all of the Council persons that supported this project. REST ASSURED Friends of South Milwaukee will ensure that many of them will not get voted into office again. We will all work hard not to get you reelected –that is a given. Think about what we can accomplish in weeks, you witnessed what we were able to do in three days!!! We will fight for the family that lives across the street from Wal-Mart and the impact that this development will have on their main asset their home. It is all about the revenue stream and the almighty dollar. The impact of the homeowners was not a big enough deal to have switched the council's vote. I hope they enjoy and feel great in their nice neighborhood that does not have a Wal-Mart with 6000 more cars a day! Get real. This is a moral issue to our team.
You have poked the bear and the bear is willing, smart and able to take on the cause of injustice and remove the city council persons who have no vision. The Friends of South Milwaukee goal is take back this city and make sure that this type of behavior is never witnessed again by our city elected officials.
Connie

Chicago, IL

#5 Nov 6, 2011
lynn wrote:
I fear most that this store will not be successful, because of the angry environment that was created by the council in not informing the citizens of South Milwaukee in advance to the deal that was sealed behind closed doors. They should have engaged and allowed the citizens to be part of the planning process to bring in a successful business partner. We all get that the land is a mess!! If it was their intent to bring in a big box retail store to this site than why did the council's team not involve the citizens of the immediate area in the planning of the size of the store, the store hours, which road should be their main entrance, etc.? The list of questions is endless, but they do not give a darn about the citizen’s opinions that is very clear. Why were they all so afraid allowing a referendum vote on this issue?
Many of citizens will not forget how disrespectful the South Milwaukee Council Persons who voted for this deal were during this three week process. They will bear the consequence that goes along with a yes vote and I am sure maybe a RECALL election or just flat campaign against all of the Council persons that supported this project. REST ASSURED Friends of South Milwaukee will ensure that many of them will not get voted into office again. We will all work hard not to get you reelected –that is a given. Think about what we can accomplish in weeks, you witnessed what we were able to do in three days!!! We will fight for the family that lives across the street from Wal-Mart and the impact that this development will have on their main asset their home. It is all about the revenue stream and the almighty dollar. The impact of the homeowners was not a big enough deal to have switched the council's vote. I hope they enjoy and feel great in their nice neighborhood that does not have a Wal-Mart with 6000 more cars a day! Get real. This is a moral issue to our team.
You have poked the bear and the bear is willing, smart and able to take on the cause of injustice and remove the city council persons who have no vision. The Friends of South Milwaukee goal is take back this city and make sure that this type of behavior is never witnessed again by our city elected officials.

I could not agree more as I live in this neighborhood and I am appalled at city council's lack of concern for those who voted them in! It is absolute injustice. I intend to support any and all efforts for a recall election, wouldn't that be grand? to remove them from office. Most definitely they will NOT receive my vote. I am sure they are safe in their nice neighborhoods where they will NOT have to deal with a Walmart in the midst of their peace at home! I fully support ALL actions the Friends of South Milwaukee embark on and will do EVERYTHING in my power to make Walmart disappear from my neighborhood!
Rick South Milw 15th ave

Oak Creek, WI

#6 Nov 22, 2011
I have in the past dealt with the common council when the idea of sidewalks being placed in front of my home. They call these meetings for people to voice there opinions when in there mind the decision has already been made. I do not want a big box across the tracks from my yard. How are people to sleep at night with all the lights and traffic. Chicago and Packard ave are already busy with no room to widen. It is ridiculous to put such a thing in the middle of a residential area. Will the city compensate homeowners for the loss in property values because of this. rest assured I will be sending out letters to the governor, state representative, Walmart corporation, the media and a copy to the common council to let them know what I have done. This way the hole community and state will be aware of how they treated the people in the City of South Milwaukee. With over 4 percent of the city not wanting this does it not mean something. And I am sure with more time the percentage would be much higher. Shame on all of you as you sleep in your quiet neighbor hoods while the rest of us listen to traffic and have bright lights in our yards at night. I hope there will be some kind of fund set up of the owners of other businesses that go under because of this. I believe the council members should fund this themselves.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Milwaukee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
police report: Jan. 8, 2015 issue Jan 7 Hugh Girrod 1
Cudahy Music Forum (Nov '12) Dec '14 Musikologist 10
Trail continues toward Abendschein Park's full ... Oct '14 Jason 1
outdoor fire pits (Jul '07) Oct '14 Sloan 10
fitzsimmons rd. (Jan '07) Oct '14 Jpopp 40
Health Fair Returns to South Milw Downtown Mark... Aug '14 The Living Legend 5
Milwaukee man charged with voter fraud (Jun '14) Jun '14 slenderman 1
South Milwaukee Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

South Milwaukee People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:24 pm PST

Yahoo! Sports 1:24PM
What trick will Belichick pull from his hoodie sleeve next?
Bleacher Report 5:14 PM
How Bears Can Make Most of Each Draft Pick
Bleacher Report12:00 AM
3 Mistakes the Chicago Bears Can't Afford to Make This Offseason
NBC Sports 6:14 AM
Michael Bidwill on Larry Fitzgerald: We'll get this worked out
Bleacher Report 9:15 AM
Tillman Hints at Return to Bears with Tweet