Utah Megaplex Not Feelin' 'Zack and Miri'

Oct 31, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Record

Is Utah Jazz and Megaplex Theaters owner Larry Miller a prude or a hypocrite? Many critics believe the latter since Miller bans movies with strong sexuality but allows films with graphic violence.

Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated Jan 21, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jun 08

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Oct 31, 2008
 
I knows right thats so lame n shizz... like why would they even think about doing that.. hella dumb. If they don't wanna watch it thens dont watch it at all.. I hate folks like that. hella dumb n shizz.. but guess what this is a damn mormon state. i wish everyone get off there backs cause he's really a good producer and i give him hella props..
Vera

Olympia, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Oct 31, 2008
 
Why do all your posts seem to be for the purpose of endorsing this website
newanarchy

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Nov 1, 2008
 

Judged:

1

Typical American religious nut, sex bad, violence, no problem.
neutral

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Nov 1, 2008
 
I agree with Larry Miller, and respect that he is at least trying to help rid this world of filth. As far as him letting violent movies in, he is a businessman. Not everyone in Utah is LDS, and his Megaplex theaters would suffer financially without some of the R rated films. If you want to see the freakin movie, go to another theater that is showing it. I appreciate him trying to maintain a family environment. I would not want my children walking into a theater and seeing the advertisements for that. Call me prude, call me sheltered, but honestly, I like it that way. I don't need to watch sex, blood, and gore to make me happy.
roofus

West Jordan, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Nov 1, 2008
 
LDS (rolls eyes). Screw Larry Miller and all the rest of the sexually repressed mormons! It's JUST a MOVIE!

P.S. It's NOT a porno movie. Just a title.
newanarchy

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Nov 1, 2008
 
neutral wrote:
I agree with Larry Miller, and respect that he is at least trying to help rid this world of filth. As far as him letting violent movies in, he is a businessman. Not everyone in Utah is LDS, and his Megaplex theaters would suffer financially without some of the R rated films. If you want to see the freakin movie, go to another theater that is showing it. I appreciate him trying to maintain a family environment. I would not want my children walking into a theater and seeing the advertisements for that. Call me prude, call me sheltered, but honestly, I like it that way. I don't need to watch sex, blood, and gore to make me happy.
But you'll live with the blood and gore because he's a business man, you are truly sick in the head.

“Unique”

Since: Sep 08

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Nov 1, 2008
 
I think it's all about the title. A lot of parents would be uncomfortable taking their kids to see the latest Pixar movie with just the word PORNO on the walls.
newanarchy

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Nov 1, 2008
 
EmberlyMai wrote:
I think it's all about the title. A lot of parents would be uncomfortable taking their kids to see the latest Pixar movie with just the word PORNO on the walls.
Sounds pretty stupid to me, but I guess that's what a small IQ will do for people.
Join Free
neutral

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Nov 1, 2008
 
newanarchy wrote:
<quoted text>
But you'll live with the blood and gore because he's a business man, you are truly sick in the head.
I do not want to have to explain to my small child what the word "porno" means when we are there to see a family movie. I don't accept filth, and I personally have never even see a rated R movie. All I said was that I understand why rated R movies are shown in a movie theater. There are a lot of people "sick in the head" that like to watch other people mutilated and naked, but I am not one of them. I was merely stating that I was glad that someone finally put their foot down to something offensive.
neutral

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Nov 1, 2008
 
As far as Larry refusing to show sexually explicit movies, I highly doubt that a teenager will go out after seeing a slasher movie and kill someone. Violent movies do not trigger the release of sexual hormones, unless of course, you are a sadist. In which case, you issues are rooted deeper than the movie. Sexually explicit movies, however, do release those hormones. The movie's name is "Zack and Miri Make a Porno." What does that title suggest? What are pornos? It might not necessarily be an actual "porno", but the name suggests otherwise. Thank you, Larry, for not allowing this film in your theaters!!
newanarchy

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Nov 1, 2008
 
neutral wrote:
As far as Larry refusing to show sexually explicit movies, I highly doubt that a teenager will go out after seeing a slasher movie and kill someone. Violent movies do not trigger the release of sexual hormones, unless of course, you are a sadist. In which case, you issues are rooted deeper than the movie. Sexually explicit movies, however, do release those hormones. The movie's name is "Zack and Miri Make a Porno." What does that title suggest? What are pornos? It might not necessarily be an actual "porno", but the name suggests otherwise. Thank you, Larry, for not allowing this film in your theaters!!
Now that is some delusional thinking.
Karma 4U

Uniontown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Nov 1, 2008
 
Give it a couple of weeks and it will be out
on DVD!
Deebs

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Nov 2, 2008
 
neutral wrote:
Violent movies do not trigger the release of sexual hormones, unless of course, you are a sadist. In which case, you issues are rooted deeper than the movie. Sexually explicit movies, however, do release those hormones.
Your argument fails to address like with like. You are correct insofar as violent movies don't trigger much of a sexual response in the average viewer, but that's not the relevant response to observe, now, is it? If you argue that sexually explicit content is going to reduce sexual inhibitions then you ought to be examining the degree to which violent content reduces inhibitions against violence. There's no question that violence in films desensitizes the viewer to violence.

I don't think that's an argument for censorship of either type of content. I know more than a few police officers who are desensitized when it comes to violence who manage their own uses of violence (on the job) quite appropriately. The impact of sexually explicit material can similarly be channeled appropriately as sexual sophistication rather than the indiscriminate depravity that this narrow minded Utah businessman seems to fear.
tupapi

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Nov 2, 2008
 
Hypocrites! Keep shielding your children form the world, what do you accomplish with that? I bet you Miller is a sicko in his private life.
Kurtz

Alhambra, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Nov 5, 2008
 
tupapi wrote:
Hypocrites! Keep shielding your children form the world, what do you accomplish with that? I bet you Miller is a sicko in his private life.
Are you volunteering to find out exactly what type of sicko?
SaltShaker

Wise, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Nov 5, 2008
 
Haven't you figured out yet that the first amendment does NOT apply to Utah...get used to it!
neutral

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Nov 5, 2008
 
Miller isn't denying anyone their 1st amendment rights...he is just choosing to express his own. People are free to watch that movie in any other theater in the state! Why is it such a big deal that he chooses not to show it in his? Are his theaters THAT much better than the rest of Utah's theaters? Is that why you're so upset? If you REALLY want to see that movie, nothing is going to stop you, so give it a rest! I'm just glad that someone is saying "enough is enough" when it comes to what content is in movies these days.
Richard

Draper, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Nov 6, 2008
 

Judged:

1

Wow, such hate, such venom. I thought the conservatives were the hate-mongers.

While I don't really agree with Neutral's argument, I have to agree with the 1st Amendment stuff. He's not stopping you from watching the flick. My efforts to see this movie went like this: I called my girlfriend and asked if we should see a movie. She says, "Sure, let's see Zack & Miri." I say cool, spool up the Fandango and say, "Huh, it's not at the Gateway." She says, "Is it at Century?" I say, "Yup. Century it is." And that night we saw what can only be called a fun-filled romp through economic hardships. It's not that big of a deal. Good lord, you'd think the entire state legislature banned the movie. Calm down, it's Miller's choice what plays in his theaters. People are acting like he broke into your house and stole all of your actual porn. Us liberals are becoming quite un-liberal.
Todd

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Nov 6, 2008
 
when will you learn not to even go to his Movie theaters! boycott him! don't give him your money! period! I would rather eat dirt then give Larry H miller my money!
SaltShaker

Wise, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Nov 7, 2008
 
neutral wrote:
Miller isn't denying anyone their 1st amendment rights...he is just choosing to express his own. People are free to watch that movie in any other theater in the state! Why is it such a big deal that he chooses not to show it in his? Are his theaters THAT much better than the rest of Utah's theaters? Is that why you're so upset? If you REALLY want to see that movie, nothing is going to stop you, so give it a rest! I'm just glad that someone is saying "enough is enough" when it comes to what content is in movies these days.
And who is to decide "enough is enough?" Utah is a joke--a state where people protest a victoria's secret store and even had a 40something year old mormon virgin be a PORN CZAR!! LOL at Utah!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent South Jordan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Baby Boy in Trashcan 8 hr flower 1
methadone withdrawal (Jul '11) Aug 24 Fay 28
gary wayne jasper penn Aug 19 miss jasper 1
Woman in critical condition after ingesting cle... Aug 14 Dickys is castrated 1
Debate: Marijuana - Sandy, UT (Jan '11) Aug 12 jonporter 21
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Sandy (Nov '13) Jul '14 Kuh 15
Review: Crossroads Fitness (Jul '10) Jul '14 Lauren 10

Search the South Jordan Forum:
•••
•••
•••

South Jordan Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

South Jordan People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

South Jordan News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in South Jordan
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••