buying in huntington station

buying in huntington station

There are 22 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 1, 2007, titled buying in huntington station. In it, Newsday reports that:

Ambitious efforts to restore the area by the train depot to its former glory are well under way.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Walter Greenspan

AOL

#1 Mar 2, 2007
For the geographically challenged (otherwise known as the NEWSDAY Real Estate department):

(1) The Hamlet of Huntington Station and the Hamlet of South Huntington are SEPARATE hamlets in the Town of Huntington.

(2) The Walt Whitman Mall is in the Hamlet of South Huntington (Huntington Station P.O.)

In case you wanted to know:

As occurs in every one of Suffolk County's 157 communities (0 cities, 32 villages and 125 hamlets), the Hamlet of Huntington Station has a different border than does the "Huntington Station, NY 11746" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a Huntington Station mailing address and not be in Huntington Station and a place can have other than a Huntington Station mailing address and be in Huntington Station):

Those places that have a "Huntington Station, NY" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Huntington Station are in the Hamlet of Huntington, the Hamlet of South Huntington, the Hamlet of Greenlawn and the Hamlet of West Hills; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Huntington Station with a "Dix Hills, NY 11746" mailing address.

For a set of good town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns:

http://www.lipower.org/company/pubs/popsurvey...
Withers Hates Huntington

Bellerose, NY

#2 Mar 2, 2007
This is a joke. We have thousands of illegal aliens in the area. We have illegal alien gang members living in illegal dwellings throughout the area. We have a diversity of criminality in the area.We have a slumlords/real estate businesses who thrive on all the over crowding in the area.We have an illegal alien day laborer site set up by crooked Republicans and Democrats in the area. We have a town hall that refuse to enforce housing codes and laws in the area. The list goes on and on and on.......
Walter Greenspan

AOL

#3 Mar 2, 2007
Now, concerning South Huntington:

South Huntington is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address.

As occurs in every one of Suffolk County's 157 communities (0 cities, 32 villages and 125 hamlets), the hamlet and the postal zone that use the same name, have much different borders: In this case, there is no "South Huntington, NY" postal zone and hence there are no places with a "South Huntington, NY" mailing address:

Places in South Huntington have either a "Huntington Station, NY 11746", a "Dix Hills, NY 11746" or a "Melville, NY 11747" mailing address.
CHRISSY 11746

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Mar 4, 2007
It would be nice IF they do revitalize Huntington Station. I live in the Town Of Huntington my whole life and I have yet to see any substantial redevolopment in Huntington Station. Putting a few hanging flower baskets, lampposts is a start but in order to make a difference we need a solid plan of ACTION. Huntington Station needs to be revitalized and cleaned up NOW.
I certainly will be eagerly watching for progress.
Chrissy Schimmel
Huntington Station Resident
Ashley E

Flushing, NY

#5 Mar 4, 2007
Huntington Station needs to get a cleaned up because it does look shabby.
IT'S THE HOOD.
So much money goes towards the Huntington Village area but nothing is spent on Huntington Station where it is needed most. ALL TALK NO ACTION !!!
I feel the reason why Huntington Station is so shabby is because people who rent do not care to clean up their property. The slumlords do not do anything about it. The Town doesn't follow-up much with code enforement, so there you go!
HUNTINGTON STATION - The Hood, the eyesore before you get to Huntington Village.
Who would want to live here???
FireFox

West Sayville, NY

#6 Mar 4, 2007
Most who live in Huntington Station do so because it's the most that can afford. Or they were placed there by social services.

IMHO the County social service departments, which create and perpetuate places like the Station, Wyandanch, Mastic, etc, should refuse to distribute rent and social service subsidies in any one location or address.

Example, if a section 8 tenant lives on 1st st & Maple place, then no other subsidy should be granted for an address within a 1/4 mile of it.

This would cause those who are receiving subsidies from congregating and concentrating, therefore ruining any one particular neighborhood and turning it into a state of devistation.

Any community can handle a few lowlifes, but no community can recover when 75% of it's population is on the dole and doesn't care about life, anything, or anyone. Further, when the poor are prevented from destroying a neighborhood, and they're surrounded by successful people, they have something to look forward to other than being surrounded by strife and depressing community devistation.

EX Hunt Sta Resident

Bellerose, NY

#7 Mar 8, 2007
FireFox wrote:
Most who live in Huntington Station do so because it's the most that can afford. Or they were placed there by social services.
IMHO the County social service departments, which create and perpetuate places like the Station, Wyandanch, Mastic, etc, should refuse to distribute rent and social service subsidies in any one location or address.
Example, if a section 8 tenant lives on 1st st & Maple place, then no other subsidy should be granted for an address within a 1/4 mile of it.
This would cause those who are receiving subsidies from congregating and concentrating, therefore ruining any one particular neighborhood and turning it into a state of devistation.
Any community can handle a few lowlifes, but no community can recover when 75% of it's population is on the dole and doesn't care about life, anything, or anyone. Further, when the poor are prevented from destroying a neighborhood, and they're surrounded by successful people, they have something to look forward to other than being surrounded by strife and depressing community devistation.
H Station gets dumped by town officials
some housing in Huntington Station is quite expensive
slumlords own many houses along and streets running off of NY Ave, Pulaski Rd, Railroad ave, w. 11th st,
Oakwood rd, Lennox rd, Jericho Tpk, West hills Rd, Rte 110, Depot rd, among others
Section 8 Housing is controlled by the Town Government
All section 8 housing in the town of Huntington gets placed in Huntington Station
Town records shows that out of the 8 school districts in the town only 2 receive section 8 housing residents
thats Huntington school district and South Huntington school district
Wealthiest school districts receive no section 8 housing
that leaves hundreds of students from section 8 housing going into 2 school districts
maybe we should get the town to force the slumlords to pay up for their tenants education costs ?
Oh yeah I forgot the slumlords own the government Just ask Donald Pius
FireFox

West Sayville, NY

#8 Mar 14, 2007
The Town does not decide where section 8 housing goes. Any home purchased anywhere can accomodate a section 8 tenant, the problem comes in when investors and speculators (like you mention, Donald Pius) don't get a nickel more for an apartment in a house in Dix Hills than one in a house in Huntington Station. Therefore, it makes it more profitable to those who engage in the business of providing section 8 housing to aquire homes at the least possible cost, IE: the STation, Wyandanch, Central Islip, etc.

IF the country refused to subsidize rent on a unit located within a 1/4 mile of another subsidized unit, then it would not be possible for the likes of Pius to purchase a lot of homes in one depressed area, they would have to branch out and purchase only a few homes scattered throughout Long Island.

Further, since only one apartment within a complex, or one side of a 2-family house would be eligable for section 8 (the other units or the other 1/2 of a 2-family being within that 1/4 mile limit) the rest of the rent-paying tenants would have to be paying market rate, on their own. Think you'd be able to find a tenant to pay full rent on an apartment with section 8 living next door? I doubt it, so it stands to reason that section 8 would only be living in owner-occupied homes. EG: the likes of Pius are out of business. And no section 8 tenant would become a crack house with the owner living in the same unit.
Rally Around Justice

Bellerose, NY

#9 Mar 15, 2007
EX Hunt Sta Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
H Station gets dumped by town officials
some housing in Huntington Station is quite expensive
slumlords own many houses along and streets running off of NY Ave, Pulaski Rd, Railroad ave, w. 11th st,
Oakwood rd, Lennox rd, Jericho Tpk, West hills Rd, Rte 110, Depot rd, among others
Section 8 Housing is controlled by the Town Government
All section 8 housing in the town of Huntington gets placed in Huntington Station
Town records shows that out of the 8 school districts in the town only 2 receive section 8 housing residents
thats Huntington school district and South Huntington school district
Wealthiest school districts receive no section 8 housing
that leaves hundreds of students from section 8 housing going into 2 school districts
maybe we should get the town to force the slumlords to pay up for their tenants education costs ?
Oh yeah I forgot the slumlords own the government Just ask Donald Pius
Suffolk County Legislature Meeting March 20th 2007

At 4pm located at 633 East Main Street Riverhead NY 11901

Anti-loitering bill will be addressed. Pro-illegal alien law breakers will be there and so should we.

Slumlords like Pius are protected by corrupt politicians. They also give him millions $$$$ of our tax dollars to house illegal aliens.

One of the biggest reason Pius owns houses near the town of Huntington's day laborer site.
de mal en pis

Medford, NY

#10 Mar 18, 2007
Ashley E wrote:
Huntington Station needs to get a cleaned up because it does look shabby.
IT'S THE HOOD.
So much money goes towards the Huntington Village area but nothing is spent on Huntington Station where it is needed most. ALL TALK NO ACTION !!!
I feel the reason why Huntington Station is so shabby is because people who rent do not care to clean up their property. The slumlords do not do anything about it. The Town doesn't follow-up much with code enforement, so there you go!
HUNTINGTON STATION - The Hood, the eyesore before you get to Huntington Village.
Who would want to live here???
BUT FIRST MEMBERS OF HUNTINGTON LOCAL GOVERNMENT ARE INVOLVED WITH OTHER ACTIVITIES

WHICH ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION APPARENTLY

RESOLUTION NO. 47 (2006)

A RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING EXECUTION OF AN AGREEMENT EXTENDING AND AMENDING A CONTRACT FOR PROFESSIONAL SERVICES.

WHEREAS , pursuant to Resolution No. 59 (2004), duly adopted at their meeting held on August 26, 2004, as modified by Resolution No. 75 (2004), duly adopted at their meeting held on September 30, 2004 , members (the “Members”) of the Town of North Hempstead Community Development Agency (the “Agency”) authorized the execution of a professional services contract with Mark A. Cuthbertson, doing business as the Law Offices of Mark A. Cuthbertson (the “Consultant”), to provide legal services pursuant to a certain proposal dated May 28, 2004 (the “Services”) ; and

WHEREAS, as of September 1, 2004, the Agency entered into a certain Contract for Professional or Technical Services (the “Contract”) with the Consultant, providing for payment for the Services in at an hourly rate ranging between $150 and $200, and running for a term commencing on September 1, 2004 and expiring on August 31, 2006 (the “Expiration Date”); and

WHEREAS, the Agency and the Consultant wish to extend the Expiration Date of the Contract until August 31, 2008 (the “Extension”), and to revise it so that (i)(A) the hourly rates (the “Rates”) payable for Services thereunder are $200 for the Services of Mr. Cuthbertson, between $150 and $200 for the Services of associates and attorneys serving as counsel, and $75 for the Services of paralegals, and (ii) the Rates are subject to periodic adjustment by the Consultant, which may be objected to by the Agency in writing prior to payment, and (iii) any dispute between the Parties relating to fees may be, at the option of the Agency, resolved through arbitration pursuant to Part 137 of the Rules of the Chief Administrator of the Courts, and (iv) such other terms and conditions as are contained in a certain Letter of Engagement from the Consultant dated July 7, 2006 (the “Revised Terms”); and

WHEREAS, the Members wish to agree to the Extension and the Revised Terms.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT

RESOLVED, that the Members hereby agree to the Extension and the Revised Terms; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Executive Director of the Agency and any other officer thereof is hereby authorized to execute such instruments and documents, and to take such other action as may be necessary, to effectuate the foregoing.

Upon the motion of Mr. Wasserman, duly seconded by Mr. Handy, the Resolution was unanimously adopted.

HOW MUCH MONEY DID IT COST THE NORTH HEMPSTEAD TAXPAYERS ?
Moon Dog

Medford, NY

#11 Mar 19, 2007
Perhaps Mark Cuthbertson sees how Pius can get away with taking HUD funds then why not him.

I just wonder how many other government officials are dipping into the Taxpayer HUD funding to enrich themselves ?

No wonder the feds always state Huntington Housing Authority is a troubled agency.
Yet they do nothing about it. Why ?
Big Bad Bob

Woods Cross, UT

#12 Mar 19, 2007
Sad to say, but the truth is that Long Island as a whole is on the decline...

Eventually it will be little more than a dozen or so very wealthy (and mainly White) enclaves drowning in a ghetto "sea".

When I was a kid - 30, 35 years ago - the only "bad" areas on LI were parts of Hempstead, most of Wyandanch and a little bit of N. Amityville.(Not including Queens or Brooklyn in this, of course.)

Today, you have to include ALL of N. Amityville, N. Bellport, most of Coram, Pt. Jeff Station, Huntington Station, alot of Bay Shore, C.I., almost all of Patchogue, Ridge, Mastic and Mastic Beach, Shirley and Farmingville are getting run down, even previously "higher end" towns like Oakdale, Blue Point, Miller Place, Sound Beach, Hampton Bays are all going to the dogs...

Eventually it will all turn to crap; nice "middle class" neighborhoods smothered in a festering stew of crime, poverty, gangs, and illegal immigrant filled tenements.

Those with the means to will end up building gated - and guarded - communities in which they can park their Suburbans and Bayliners and pretend like the Island is "...still as nice as it was 50 years ago..."

Too bad they won't be able to travel much off the LIE or Sunrise Hwy., should they decide to venture out of their protected little nests.

The brightest among the young people will "smarten up" and just leave; that demographic has already been happening for at least the last 10 -15 years. Among the ones who stay, a greater and greater portion are those who cannot afford to leave because they have nowhere else to go - or nowhere else that will give them a check every month, WIC, HEAP, Section 8, etc....

For those that are well off, eventually they too will feel the pressure from ever-increasing tax bills to support the growing numbers of working poor, illegals, and those on public assistance.

You think your taxes are high NOW...?!!!

I loved growing up on Long Island. I don't think there was anyplace in the whole country that was a better place to raise kids in the 60s and 70s...

I am only sorry that the same can't be said anymore.
Huntington Station buyer

Brooklyn, NY

#13 Mar 20, 2007
Are you saying all of Huntington Station is a bad investment? We looked at a house on Ingersoll Street, off Depot Road. The price was so cheap compared to the "amount" of house I would be getting. A house like this would be close to 900,000 dollars in Queens. How are the South Huntington schools? That's where my kids are zoned for. Thanks...
VFP

Northport, NY

#14 Mar 26, 2007
Wouldn't touch anything with a Huntington Station address. South Hunt. schools have gone down the tubes in recent years too. If you want better schools in the area, try Elwood or Northport. Your house would be a lot smaller for the money but you'd be in a much better area and have way better schools. You could try Harborfields, but anything decent is very expensive. Good schools there.
Undocumented is Illegal

Medford, NY

#15 Mar 27, 2007
Be wary of who you move next to.

Town does a terrible job at enforcing building codes in the area.

I've seen young couples crying at town hearings cause they thought they bought a single family house in a neighborhood of likewise houses only to find they lived among transient renters who care neither about the neighborhood or the town.

South Huntington School district and Huntington school district spend upward of 5 million $$$ a year on teachers for ESL and their aides.

Group homes,rehab centers,slumlords,dot the area.
educated n classy

Glen Cove, NY

#16 May 2, 2010
FireFox wrote:
The Town does not decide where section 8 housing goes. Any home purchased anywhere can accommodate a section 8 tenant, the problem comes in when investors and speculators (like you mention, Donald Pius) don't get a nickel more for an apartment in a house in Dix Hills than one in a house in Huntington Station. Therefore, it makes it more profitable to those who engage in the business of providing section 8 housing to aquire homes at the least possible cost, IE: the STation, Wyandanch, Central Islip, etc.
IF the country refused to subsidize rent on a unit located within a 1/4 mile of another subsidized unit, then it would not be possible for the likes of Pius to purchase a lot of homes in one depressed area, they would have to branch out and purchase only a few homes scattered throughout Long Island.
Further, since only one apartment within a complex, or one side of a 2-family house would be eligable for section 8 (the other units or the other 1/2 of a 2-family being within that 1/4 mile limit) the rest of the rent-paying tenants would have to be paying market rate, on their own. Think you'd be able to find a tenant to pay full rent on an apartment with section 8 living next door? I doubt it, so it stands to reason that section 8 would only be living in owner-occupied homes. EG: the likes of Pius are out of business. And no section 8 tenant would become a crack house with the owner living in the same unit.
Whoa!! Everyone on Section 8 is not as you are describing or referring to in this thread. I am on Section 8 due to illness not solely because I am lacking in education & class. I have a college education and know well enough to know you are verging on discrimination. I live next to a few people not on Section 8. And, we all low income recipients are not classless & dirty. I had no idea that Section 8 housing existed in Suffolk county until my house search in the paper led me here. It's like the real estate market is pushing "us" here, really I was not looking forward to living in the sticks. But,I knew from growing up in Lakeview(near RVC, NY) that I wanted to raise my children in the suburbs and not in a drug ridden, violent "hood". Actually, I am shocked to hear of any crime in Huntington. I was told by the real estate agent that this area was a 3 on the crime scale, it was little to none. I have been in in Huntington Station for about a year before I was almost jumped by 2 men. I lived in Jamaica, Queens for 8 years and never came close to anything like that, so I am shocked the way things are seeming to be here, in Huntington. I just hate the way the comments on this site are lumping all the bad folks with Section 8, with good, decent folks receiving the help. It's just not like that with everyone receiving help. I need it therefore I receive it, and don't judge me by it.
hhhhhhhhh

Franklin Square, NY

#17 Jun 10, 2010
CHRISSY 11746 wrote:
It would be nice IF they do revitalize Huntington Station. I live in the Town Of Huntington my whole life and I have yet to see any substantial redevolopment in Huntington Station. Putting a few hanging flower baskets, lampposts is a start but in order to make a difference we need a solid plan of ACTION. Huntington Station needs to be revitalized and cleaned up NOW.
I certainly will be eagerly watching for progress.
Chrissy Schimmel
Huntington Station Resident
Why don't you assist with the refurbishing of HS rather than sit around waiting fo rother to progress. That is a lazy persons way of doing things .
hhhhhhhhh

Franklin Square, NY

#18 Jun 10, 2010
Why don't you assist with the refurbishing of HS rather than sit around waiting for others to progress. That is a lazy persons way of doing things .
Section 8

Port Jefferson Station, NY

#20 Sep 8, 2010
Section 8 in Huntington is a crap shoot and you need to look at history of unit inspections. properties owned by a certain landlord are bare bones minimum and only accept non working families on DSS so the full amount comes from S8
Moving

Huntington, NY

#21 Sep 8, 2010
This place is getting worse and worse we are moving for the safety of my family. I no longer care to wake up and see the handprints on the windows of my car

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Sun Bruser 2,445
Martin Schulz Keep on dreaming martin Jul 2 TELAMON 1
News Smithtown parishioners planning protest of chur... (Aug '07) Jul 2 Anthony 1,814
What happened to RObert MAyer? (Aug '13) Jul 2 Carolyn 2,083
Veronica Sarabella arrested for Purse Snatching (Jan '11) Jul 2 Sara HairyPurse 6
do anybody know the fortunato's (Mar '09) Jul 1 Unknown- 24
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) Jun 30 Bruser 7,997
More from around the web

South Huntington People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

South Huntington Mortgages