S. Huntington District to stop servin...

S. Huntington District to stop serving beef

There are 18 comments on the Newsday story from Feb 28, 2008, titled S. Huntington District to stop serving beef. In it, Newsday reports that:

In light of the recent ground beef recall, no beef products will be served to students at South Huntington school district cafeterias until the origin of the meat is determined, according to a message on the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Mayor of what

Uniondale, NY

#1 Feb 29, 2008
Isn't the south huntington HS located behind the McDonald's on jericho tpke in huntington where most of the kids eat their lunch?
Badtothebone

New Hyde Park, NY

#2 Feb 29, 2008
Where's the beef?
Badtothebone

New Hyde Park, NY

#3 Feb 29, 2008
I know a girl in Huntington Station who I would love to give the pork!!!
Laugh Alot

Newark, NJ

#4 Feb 29, 2008
Did not know the slop they served was even beef to begin with? Now if they could clean up their kitchen crews that would be another story.
Hmmm

Stamford, CT

#5 Feb 29, 2008
Is this the only district to get their meat from this company?

Are any other districts affected?
Have any other districts taken similar measures?

Are any local supermarkets affected?
Melissa

Morristown, NJ

#6 Feb 29, 2008
As if this level of animal treatment and potential contamination aren't going on all along, before it was even caught on camera! Are the education officials uneducated?

How about a total overhaul of what is considered "healthy" in the USDA school lunch programs? The USDA gives guidelines for schools to follow, however this is certainly a minimum and not exactly healthy on many levels. Sugars, food dye, iceberg lettuce passing for salad.... Aren't our youth worth some extra effort and even money if it means improved health and lower exposure to nutritionally lacking meals?
LIer

Bronx, NY

#7 Feb 29, 2008
Hmmm wrote:
Is this the only district to get their meat from this company?
Are any other districts affected?
Have any other districts taken similar measures?
Are any local supermarkets affected?
Probably no to all. It's called grandstanding.
Chicken Little

Dover, NJ

#8 Feb 29, 2008
I resent this decision. Now myself
and my relatives will be forced
into hiding. This is terrible.
Mike Savage

Highland, NY

#9 Feb 29, 2008
I bet all the liberal, yuppie and vegetarian mothers in Huntington are happy about this.......
LongIslander

Holtsville, NY

#11 Feb 29, 2008
Go to www.youtube.com and type in the key words Westfield Hallmark Humane Society to see the video of the cow treatment. Makes you feel ill not only because of the treatment of the animals but also because we might have been eating meat that were diseased and sick. Imagine sitting at the dinner table thinking that you are eating a nice steak and instead you are ingesting filet mignon that was from a cow suffering from cancer or infected with bacteria and viruses...yuck!
Angry Beef Enjoyer

Tarrytown, NY

#12 Feb 29, 2008
Doesn't seem like much has improved since Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle". Just proves once again that Big Business only cares about your dollars, not the people.
Diversity Dude

Florham Park, NJ

#13 Feb 29, 2008
Buy stock in the local Kentucky Fried Chicken joint.
Beefeater

Highland, NY

#14 Feb 29, 2008
I just got off a Carribean cruise during which time I had beef almost every night for dinner. Delicious food. There's really nothing quite like a good lean cut of beef, medium rare.....
realistic

Croton On Hudson, NY

#15 Feb 29, 2008
Mayor of what wrote:
Isn't the south huntington HS located behind the McDonald's on jericho tpke in huntington where most of the kids eat their lunch?
Most of the kids don't eat there lunch at McDonalds since they are not allowed off campus during school. You're making a poor assumption.
Championship

United States

#16 Feb 29, 2008
Mayor of what wrote:
Cant leave campus during school hours so no. Lets go Whitman Mens Basketball. Suffolk Championship tonight against Hills West.
Miss Forrest Gump

Bronx, NY

#17 Feb 29, 2008
LongIslander wrote:
Go to www.youtube.com and type in the key words Westfield Hallmark Humane Society to see the video of the cow treatment. Makes you feel ill not only because of the treatment of the animals but also because we might have been eating meat that were diseased and sick. Imagine sitting at the dinner table thinking that you are eating a nice steak and instead you are ingesting filet mignon that was from a cow suffering from cancer or infected with bacteria and viruses...yuck!
I watched the video and I was so upset after it. I have not touched beef since then. I know I will not make a difference but I cannot be part of the cruelty of what these people do.
Leanlife

Elizabeth, NJ

#18 Feb 29, 2008
SH is one of the school districts that have not bidded the cafe to a food management company.One must wonder where the beef these 'for profit' organizations get the meat they are serving to our kids came from.
Elsie the Cow

Brooklyn, NY

#19 Feb 29, 2008
Can South Huntington be that dumb? One phone call to their supplier and they would know where the beef came from. Every other district received letters from their suppliers as soon as the story broke. What's up SH?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 21 hr Bruser 8,464
News Smithtown parishioners planning protest of chur... (Aug '07) Fri Petrol Poroshankh... 1,819
Noise in Bethpage Thu cheeets 1
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Thu Bruser 2,709
Review: 240 Auto Body Inc (Jan '11) Dec 3 John 25
News Standoff ends peacefully in Huntington (May '08) Dec 1 Larry Joe 86
Why is Lindenhurst such a Ghetto? (Mar '10) Nov 27 PHIL 687

South Huntington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Huntington Mortgages