Pasadena bars resume smoking

Pasadena bars resume smoking

There are 101 comments on the Pasadena Citizen story from Jan 13, 2008, titled Pasadena bars resume smoking. In it, Pasadena Citizen reports that:

“I think they understood that they were losing revenue”

In an amendment passed by Pasadena City Council, area bars and private clubs can now light up - again. via Pasadena Citizen

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pasadena Citizen.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
young kat

Pasadena, TX

#1 Feb 1, 2008
I will smoke every where
Pasadenan

United States

#2 May 2, 2008
That is a shame. If you can't stop smoking for a few minutes and enjoy a beer or two perhaps you should be enjoying your beer at home.

The City Council did NOT do anyone a service by rescinding this regulation.
Billy

United States

#3 May 13, 2008
This amendment isn't for smokers, it's for businesses. Bars, clubs, etc. lost a lot of business when people knew they couldn't smoke there. So they complained and complained until this amendment was passed. Other businesses are still hurting.
CWatson

Pasadena, TX

#4 May 14, 2008
C'mon... who goes to the bar just to have a bear or two on friday nights? Many people go to hang out for an extended period of time. If the smoking bothers you then stay at home and drink your beer. There are many bars around Pasadena that were packed before the smoking ban and almost empty during the ban. You might have been the one car out there enjoying your beer or two but what about everybody else?
Tony

Pasadena, TX

#5 Jul 19, 2008
It was nice while it lasted. I have quit going to restaurants because of the smoking. I don't care if the bars allow smoking because famalies don't frequent bars. I think if a restarant has smoking, it should be a totally separate room closed in. I don't want to even be able to smell it. It's such a disgusting habit.
Jay

Houston, TX

#6 Jul 21, 2008
The city council that overturned their original decision to ban smoking in public places should all be replaced come election time. It was very nice being able to go into sports bars and restaurants and come out not smelling like smoke. Smoking is a disgusting habit and everyone should not have to subject themselves to it everytime they go out. I don't know of a single place that lost business because people couldn't smoke there. But I do know some that will lose my business because they allow it.
Concerned

Houston, TX

#7 Jul 21, 2008
If you dont like it dont go there, plain and simple. Smoking is just a part of society and just because in your opinion its gross doesnt mean others feel the same. You subject yourself to a number of possibilites just walking outside your door. Also you live in the chemical plant capital so I really dont know why your complaining about smoking when there are way more serious things in the air that could kill you or make you sick.
CWatson

Pasadena, TX

#8 Jul 24, 2008
"Do not know a single place that lost business"!? Seriously? You could drive around to any number of the bars in Pasadena and SEE the loss of business. Corner pocket as a case and point. It was in really bad shape there for awhile.

It is a bar... if you want to go to a frilly bar where everyone caters to you and tries not to offend you try the ones downtown.
txauctioneer

United States

#9 Aug 2, 2008
What it really comes down to is businesses should be free to market themselves without government interference. That is what a Free Market is all about.

If there is a "market" for a Non-Smoking Bar or Restaurant, then someone will open one. If the Bars & Restaurants wish to allow smoking, then it should be up to their management. If they lose a significant portion of their business due to such decisions, then they will change their own policies or look for other ways to satisfy their customers.

It is not the governments responsibility to regulate the whims of either side of a debate, whether it is smoking, drinking, eating, shopping or any other activity. This is much like the "Dry" areas of any city. I worked at a restaurant in a "dry area" of Pasadena when I was growing up, yet all they had to do was make the adjoining bar a "private club" and you could join for $3/yr and sit in the "bar area" and buy drinks and/or have dinner at the same time. If there's a market for something, the public will let you know.

This is supposed to be a Free Country. That means businesses should be free to operate in a relatively free environment, as long as it does not constitute a serious hazard upon the community, as a whole. This also means that as a Free Citizen, you can choose the businesses that you wish to patronize.

txbarber

AOL

#10 Aug 2, 2008
txauctioneer wrote:
What it really comes down to is businesses should be free to market themselves without government interference. That is what a Free Market is all about.
If there is a "market" for a Non-Smoking Bar or Restaurant, then someone will open one. If the Bars & Restaurants wish to allow smoking, then it should be up to their management. If they lose a significant portion of their business due to such decisions, then they will change their own policies or look for other ways to satisfy their customers.
It is not the governments responsibility to regulate the whims of either side of a debate, whether it is smoking, drinking, eating, shopping or any other activity. This is much like the "Dry" areas of any city. I worked at a restaurant in a "dry area" of Pasadena when I was growing up, yet all they had to do was make the adjoining bar a "private club" and you could join for $3/yr and sit in the "bar area" and buy drinks and/or have dinner at the same time. If there's a market for something, the public will let you know.
This is supposed to be a Free Country. That means businesses should be free to operate in a relatively free environment, as long as it does not constitute a serious hazard upon the community, as a whole. This also means that as a Free Citizen, you can choose the businesses that you wish to patronize.
Dat's right! And very well said!
Bob

New York, NY

#11 Aug 28, 2008
It's nice to see some parts of the country still value liberty and personal freedom. As a resident of New York City and a smoker I'm deep in the heart of one of the most aggressively anti-smoking regions of the country. The smoking ban here put several of my favorite pubs out of business, and those that survived usually did so by drawing the blinds and allowing their patrons to continue to smoke after a certain hour.

Quite frankly I don't entirely object to a ban indoors. I could live with a total ban in all enclosed places if that was the guaranteed end of the anti-smoking crusade. But a quick look around the country reveals that it never is. If you give the anti-smoking zealots an inch they invariably will take a mile. They cannot be reasoned or bargained with because they are a bunch of fanatics who won't stop until smoking is outright outlawed. Now that smoking is banned in bars here in NYC the city government is trying to coerce landlords into banning it IN PRIVATE RESIDENCES. In the whacked-out state of California, where the first statewide ban was enacted back in 1995, many cities have now banned it both in private residences and EVERYWHERE OUTDOORS, essentially making it illegal. As go these places so too shall go Texas if you allow them to kick you around and trample upon your liberties. Us blue state smokers were foolish enough to make some concessions to the fanatics in the hopes that it would appease them and get them to shut up. We should have instead looked to Mr. Chamberlain and realized that appeasment only makes an aggressive fascist want more. Give into them now and the Nico-Nazis will demand more and more smoke-free lebensraum until you have nowhere to go.

Keep fighting the good fight, Texas.
Right on

AOL

#12 Aug 28, 2008
Bob wrote:
It's nice to see some parts of the country still value liberty and personal freedom. As a resident of New York City and a smoker I'm deep in the heart of one of the most aggressively anti-smoking regions of the country. The smoking ban here put several of my favorite pubs out of business, and those that survived usually did so by drawing the blinds and allowing their patrons to continue to smoke after a certain hour.
Quite frankly I don't entirely object to a ban indoors. I could live with a total ban in all enclosed places if that was the guaranteed end of the anti-smoking crusade. But a quick look around the country reveals that it never is. If you give the anti-smoking zealots an inch they invariably will take a mile. They cannot be reasoned or bargained with because they are a bunch of fanatics who won't stop until smoking is outright outlawed. Now that smoking is banned in bars here in NYC the city government is trying to coerce landlords into banning it IN PRIVATE RESIDENCES. In the whacked-out state of California, where the first statewide ban was enacted back in 1995, many cities have now banned it both in private residences and EVERYWHERE OUTDOORS, essentially making it illegal. As go these places so too shall go Texas if you allow them to kick you around and trample upon your liberties. Us blue state smokers were foolish enough to make some concessions to the fanatics in the hopes that it would appease them and get them to shut up. We should have instead looked to Mr. Chamberlain and realized that appeasment only makes an aggressive fascist want more. Give into them now and the Nico-Nazis will demand more and more smoke-free lebensraum until you have nowhere to go.
Keep fighting the good fight, Texas.
Bob For President!!!!
rick smiff

Springfield, MA

#13 Sep 6, 2008
For years people have been going to bars,partys,shoot when I grew up the teachers would sit at their desks and smoke during our lunch/recess break.Second hand smoke only affect someone whose lung capacity was already compromised.Stay home if you don't want to be accosted by other peoples bad behavior!
carol lee

Springfield, MA

#14 Sep 6, 2008
good for pasadena,after visiting abroad,it is apparent that the USA is no longer the home of the free,we have some of the most repressive laws,and always for the children,even though we have the sickest,most dangerous kids in the world.

“I don't believe in mathematics”

Since: Aug 08

United States

#15 Sep 7, 2008
Why won't Pasadena allow me to piss on the floor at my favorite bar? We have no freedom anymore. I hate to have to walk outside and piss on the wall. Sometimes it's cold outside.
Hezekiah

United States

#16 Sep 10, 2008
Oh yeah! And when it's cold, it makes it really hard to find since it's so little to start with, so that should also be covered by ADA laws and should be considered a disability. I hate it when it runs down my leg and I can't go back in the bar, because now I've wet my pants.

Abilene, TX

#17 Sep 11, 2008
Well, it shrivels up whenever I go down to Houston or Pasadena, sholow. The Mexicans scare me so bad.
smoking stinks

AOL

#18 Oct 13, 2008
I think the reason that the city council allowed smoking in bars again, is because most of them smoke. I do not agree with them allowing smoking again. If you can't step outside then maybe you need to wear the patch or something. I like to go to a bar and have a drink or two, but not if I come out smelling as if I just smoked a pack of cigs. With the bars being empty, then we wouldn't have to worry about drunk drivers on the road. Drink at home and keep everyone safe. Thumbs down to the city council.
CWatson

Pasadena, TX

#19 Nov 1, 2008
It's pretty disgusting that you would ask those that have frequented the bars around here for YEARS to step outside and smoke because you don't like the smell. When does that one stop? "Hey your aftershave offends me please step outside".

Props to the city for changing it back. There's always going to be a twisted little commie minded twit out there who wants to strip away people's simple freedoms.

Hey lets place a ban on Salt! Too much of it is bad for you. It can cause water retention and make you gain weight. Now you're unattractive at a bar wearing something 5 sizes too small offending everyone that has to look at you.

Lets just ban alcohol too while we're at it.. I mean hell how many people have woke up just to find out their beer goggles were a little too thick the night before and they're in the lair of the mammoth salt eater like the one above.

Then lets ban gasoline because when you have a hangover and you're trying to escape the beast from the night before.. and you start your car... Man the smell of exhaust is a quick way to puke your guts up from the night before.

It goes on and on... I am sure we could find 10000 different things for 10000 different reasons.

How bout this... everyone shouldn't have to cater to you and the other anti-smoking crew. There's plenty of places you can go that don't have smoking. We shouldn't be kicked off the reservation just to suit you.

United States

#20 Nov 1, 2008
As someone who quit smoking many times before finally permanently succeeding, I'm familiar with the kind of rationalizing that goes on in the addict's mind.

I personally don't think there should be a smoking ban in bars. That seems extreme. But I draw the line at allowing smoking in bed on the cancer ward where the afflicted are puffing on a weed through their tracheotomy holes.

I think that when your heart disease or emphysema gets so bad that you can't walk outside to take a drag, then you should quit. But until then, you shouldn't be denied the pleasure of smoking in your favorite bar.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Houston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pearland 5th grader protesting pledge of allegi... 4 hr OverTaxed 1
Deer Park High School Riots (Jun '13) Tue Oldnewslives 29
dpisd sucks (Mar '06) Tue Justice1990 546
Pasadena Criminal Mugshots and Arrests Records Sep 24 Hudson 3
KKK in Deer Park (Jan '10) Sep 19 melinda 133
Baywood Shadows Rules! Village Grove Sucks A ... (Mar '14) Sep 8 Wes Hightower 5
Review: I Love Kickboxing Sep 1 Barb Ramirez 8

South Houston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Houston Mortgages