Tired of Complaining?
Longtime Resident

United States

#1 Mar 31, 2013
I have been a home-owner in Blue Island for almost 30 years. When I moved here peole asked ..." Why would you want to move there?" ...Thrity years later people are saying "Why are you still there???".

The answer is simple. We love it here. We have good friends. We have a legacy built by our hard working forefathers. We have notable homes and notable residents. It is convenient to 294 ... To the Metra ...to 80....to the loop. We have a hospital ... Ranked school districts ...beautiful parks ...and a fabric of ethnic, racial, and religious backgrounds to rival Hyde Park. We have "doctor's, lawyer's and Indian Hief's ... Skilled professionals and day laborers. We're not pretentious but we are a real community.

Is it perfect? Certainly not - show me a suburb that is. Are you tired of complaining about our image ...city services ... Infrastructure ...the leadership ...finances ...commerce ...?? Have you been involved or just figured someone else will fix the problems?

No city - small or large - is easy to run. Just look at trying to get something done in your own family and the challenges that sometimes brings! Now apply that to a city - that has to work within a county - within a state ...you get the picture.

I have never doubted Mayor Peloquin's sincere desire to see Blue Island reach new heights. He grew up here. He raised his family here. He owns a business here.
So - to the naysayer's ... Look in the mirror ...what have you done for our community?

For several justifiable reasons Blue Island has fallen on hard times. Apathetic voters are one reason. Residents not supporting local businesses are another reason. State and County taxes structures impeding investments and pushing businesses to other states. Unions. And, now "ObamaCare" - sure to put "closed" over more businesses.

The Coalition / Progressive party - with their failed policies, lack of community involvement, and inner-circle political cronyism fueled the flames of Blue Island's decline over the years. They got theirs and we got the shaft.

On April 9th we have a golden opportunity to make a positive change for our community -- to elect Alan Stevo and his team to lead our city into a new era. Alan is a lifelong resident, experienced leader, passionate and committed to work with ALL in our community to tackle the tough issues facing our community. Will it be easy ...hell, no! Is Alan and his team ready to embrace the challenges and foster the partnerships to overcome them ...you betcha!

If you haven't met Alan, his running mates or his campaign staff please take the time to do so. They are there morning till night at the campaign headquarters at Wlanut and Western. Ask the tough questions and be ready for the answers! Be committed ...get involved ...be part of the solution!

Electing any of the other mayoral candidates will fan the flames of Blue Island's continued demise ...

We're voting for Alan! Pass it along!
Lost

Chicago, IL

#2 Mar 31, 2013
Longtime Resident wrote:
I have been a home-owner in Blue Island for almost 30 years. When I moved here peole asked ..." Why would you want to move there?" ...Thrity years later people are saying "Why are you still there???".
The answer is simple. We love it here. We have good friends. We have a legacy built by our hard working forefathers. We have notable homes and notable residents. It is convenient to 294 ... To the Metra ...to 80....to the loop. We have a hospital ... Ranked school districts ...beautiful parks ...and a fabric of ethnic, racial, and religious backgrounds to rival Hyde Park. We have "doctor's, lawyer's and Indian Hief's ... Skilled professionals and day laborers. We're not pretentious but we are a real community.
Is it perfect? Certainly not - show me a suburb that is. Are you tired of complaining about our image ...city services ... Infrastructure ...the leadership ...finances ...commerce ...?? Have you been involved or just figured someone else will fix the problems?
No city - small or large - is easy to run. Just look at trying to get something done in your own family and the challenges that sometimes brings! Now apply that to a city - that has to work within a county - within a state ...you get the picture.
I have never doubted Mayor Peloquin's sincere desire to see Blue Island reach new heights. He grew up here. He raised his family here. He owns a business here.
So - to the naysayer's ... Look in the mirror ...what have you done for our community?
For several justifiable reasons Blue Island has fallen on hard times. Apathetic voters are one reason. Residents not supporting local businesses are another reason. State and County taxes structures impeding investments and pushing businesses to other states. Unions. And, now "ObamaCare" - sure to put "closed" over more businesses.
The Coalition / Progressive party - with their failed policies, lack of community involvement, and inner-circle political cronyism fueled the flames of Blue Island's decline over the years. They got theirs and we got the shaft.
On April 9th we have a golden opportunity to make a positive change for our community -- to elect Alan Stevo and his team to lead our city into a new era. Alan is a lifelong resident, experienced leader, passionate and committed to work with ALL in our community to tackle the tough issues facing our community. Will it be easy ...hell, no! Is Alan and his team ready to embrace the challenges and foster the partnerships to overcome them ...you betcha!
If you haven't met Alan, his running mates or his campaign staff please take the time to do so. They are there morning till night at the campaign headquarters at Wlanut and Western. Ask the tough questions and be ready for the answers! Be committed ...get involved ...be part of the solution!
Electing any of the other mayoral candidates will fan the flames of Blue Island's continued demise ...
23 years here and six votes for Stevo from our home too.
Lifelong Resident

Blue Island, IL

#3 Mar 31, 2013
My family thought of leaving Blue Island but we are so deeply rooted here.We love the city and no matter what others say, it is worth fighting for.It's time to unite and work for change. We"ll take your word and hit the polls.
2nd Ward

Oak Forest, IL

#4 Mar 31, 2013
Longtime Resident wrote:

Oh stop it already!!! Why don't you go door to door already!!!
ok

Chicago, IL

#5 Mar 31, 2013
2nd Ward wrote:
<quoted text>Oh stop it already!!! Why don't you go door to door already!!!
Your point well taken.
Failure 2013

Chicago, IL

#6 Apr 1, 2013
No candidates should be running unopposed.
No candidates should be running for multiple offices.

No one else wanted to run in the first ward.
No one else wanted to run in the fifth ward.
No One Cares

Alsip, IL

#7 Apr 1, 2013
Failure 2013 wrote:
No candidates should be running unopposed.
No candidates should be running for multiple offices.
No one else wanted to run in the first ward.
No one else wanted to run in the fifth ward.
Yep, no one really cares - not enough anyway to do the work to make the change... That is, of course, unless there is something in it for themselves.
Jane Healy

Chicago, IL

#8 Apr 1, 2013
I think everyone should do something good for their community every year. Whether it is to work a clean up event at a local park, playground or along the Cal-Sag, whether it is to volunteer at a local school, to help your local church, help out a senior neighbor, shovel all the sidewalks or your street one snowy morning, or to create something better, we ALL need to claim ownership for improving our neighborhood.

Every week I take a group of kids out on bikes. I've been doing this since 2006. I've never been paid for it. I run the program on donations and from some of the tools and equipment I got for a grant program that I ran in 2011. Donated items have included safety vests (the Blue Island Eagles), helmets and even a few bikes. I also get insurance via the BI Park District, since we are technically a park district sponsored program. The park district also donates t-shirts for the riders every couple of years and gives us free passes to the pool in the summer. Over 70 kids have taken part over the years. They've learned how to get around on their own power, they have learned to navigate via map, they know local history and natural history, they even have picked up job skills (like arriving on time, following through and following directions). All of "my" kids are better for having gotten out in the fresh air and gotten some exercise.

I'm not going over all these details to pat myself on the back. Rather, I hope to make the point that everyone has some sort of gift they can share with their community. Don't like riding bikes? Well, how about planting a veggie garden and sharing some of the produce with your neighbors? Tired of a gray space at the end of your street? Why not plant some seeds there in May or organize a trash pick up with your neighbors? Concerned about the lack of interest in Uptown? Make sure you go to the TGIF events this summer and support the local businesses and restaurants. Why not get some friends from out of town to join you at Restaurant Tenochtitlan, the Maple Tree Inn or the Rock Island Public House?

EVERYONE can make a difference. Even if it's tiny. If everyone in town gave 2 hours of their time this year, we'd have over 46,000 man hours of volunteering going on!
It is what it is

Midlothian, IL

#9 Apr 1, 2013
Jane Healy wrote:
I think everyone should do something good for their community every year. Whether it is to work a clean up event at a local park, playground or along the Cal-Sag, whether it is to volunteer at a local school, to help your local church, help out a senior neighbor, shovel all the sidewalks or your street one snowy morning, or to create something better, we ALL need to claim ownership for improving our neighborhood.
Every week I take a group of kids out on bikes. I've been doing this since 2006. I've never been paid for it. I run the program on donations and from some of the tools and equipment I got for a grant program that I ran in 2011. Donated items have included safety vests (the Blue Island Eagles), helmets and even a few bikes. I also get insurance via the BI Park District, since we are technically a park district sponsored program. The park district also donates t-shirts for the riders every couple of years and gives us free passes to the pool in the summer. Over 70 kids have taken part over the years. They've learned how to get around on their own power, they have learned to navigate via map, they know local history and natural history, they even have picked up job skills (like arriving on time, following through and following directions). All of "my" kids are better for having gotten out in the fresh air and gotten some exercise.
I'm not going over all these details to pat myself on the back. Rather, I hope to make the point that everyone has some sort of gift they can share with their community. Don't like riding bikes? Well, how about planting a veggie garden and sharing some of the produce with your neighbors? Tired of a gray space at the end of your street? Why not plant some seeds there in May or organize a trash pick up with your neighbors? Concerned about the lack of interest in Uptown? Make sure you go to the TGIF events this summer and support the local businesses and restaurants. Why not get some friends from out of town to join you at Restaurant Tenochtitlan, the Maple Tree Inn or the Rock Island Public House?
EVERYONE can make a difference. Even if it's tiny. If everyone in town gave 2 hours of their time this year, we'd have over 46,000 man hours of volunteering going on!
Great job, treat yourself to a night out, maybe even a steak dinner. As for dinning in town 90% of these places have no up to date health and safety certificates. WASTE OF TIME.
Wishing

Riverside, IL

#11 Apr 1, 2013
It is what it is wrote:
<quoted text>Great job, treat yourself to a night out, maybe even a steak dinner. As for dinning in town 90% of these places have no up to date health and safety certificates. WASTE OF TIME.
Sure would be nice to have a few big chains in town, corner of 127th and Western would be ideal and there is not too much going on at the south west corner and commuters from 294 to I57 would frequent if the right kind of service was there. I know everyone cries about the historical buildings, but really some have not been kept up properly. Take a look at LaGrange, they have a well balance of new chains and independent shops and always seem to do well. The old Jewel and Citgo need to be filled and we could use the taxes they would bring. I know it is what it is, but it would be real nice to get that great steak here in town
2nd Ward

Oak Forest, IL

#12 Apr 1, 2013
Wishing wrote:
<quoted text>Sure would be nice to have a few big chains in town, corner of 127th and Western would be ideal and there is not too much going on at the south west corner and commuters from 294 to I57 would frequent if the right kind of service was there. I know everyone cries about the historical buildings, but really some have not been kept up properly. Take a look at LaGrange, they have a well balance of new chains and independent shops and always seem to do well. The old Jewel and Citgo need to be filled and we could use the taxes they would bring. I know it is what it is, but it would be real nice to get that great steak here in town
I agree. We should salvage what is good and knock down the deal run down historical buildings that no one wants to maintain.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Holland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Val Desperate for Attention 11 min Good job Val 11
City 911 center closing 11/2017 3 hr HUH 22
City Attorney ShawnTe Raines has No Municipal A... (Jan '14) 7 hr Whose Watching 230
Are we trying to hide a shady past Arty? 12 hr Toth hunter 6
steger water (Mar '08) 14 hr Glo 36
Red Light Enforcement Program (Sep '10) 18 hr Crooks 40
Alderman Absent From Council Meetings (Sep '16) Sat CASA 139

South Holland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Holland Mortgages