So the pool is condemed
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“26 year Midlo resident”

Since: Feb 09

Wichita, Kansas

#1 Dec 22, 2012
I see in the park district newsletter that the whole pool and building is now condemmed. I get that it is 50 years old. But just another sign of how things are going around here.

I see the park district says a new facility could be built. But this would require voter permission in the form of a bond issue. I am sure Evelyn Gleason the director is getting a campaign ready. Good luck, but with our all ready high taxes I do not see that going well. I just hope they do not leave it to just be an eyesore we have enough of that.
Jeannie Gold

Midlothian, IL

#2 Dec 26, 2012
Again with the whining. Give it a rest. How is a 50 year old pool that's falling apart a sign of anything but logic?

If they'd said 10 years ago "The pool still works, but it's going to be falling apart soon and we'd like to put some money into preemptively fixing it", people like you would have thrown your miserable arms up in the air about that too.

Negativity. Everywhere I look, negativity.

5yr Midlo Resident

Since: Apr 09

Midlothian, IL

#3 Dec 27, 2012
It's a shame that it's so far gone it needs to be rebuilt, but I wonder if that was inevitable. Things were built differently back then, and if they kept maintaining old equipment and not purchasing new, you'd hit a point where you just can't fix it anymore.

The bigger shame is it couldn't be salvaged just a couple more years until people get back on their feet, but since it can't, I see no harm in them attempting to get funds to rebuild. I'm not sure how successful of a campaign they can mount, but MidloResident they should try. If they don't, it likely will remain an eyesore for years to come. So let them try, and maybe by the time they are ready to get it on the ballot things will be looking up in town. We can hope right?:)

“26 year Midlo resident”

Wichita, Kansas

#4 Dec 28, 2012
I have no problem with them trying. Say 10 years ago it might have passed. I have voted years ago for more money for the library. That is what I see it becoming another eyesore or a parking lot. But the tax bills are rough for many now as is. So they will have an uphill climb.
NewManagement

Alsip, IL

#5 Jan 1, 2013
No matter how well it was built the pool still needs maintenance. The current management failed to keep it up. Now they want to run the town into the ground too.

keep your day job......
candy

Chicago, IL

#6 Jan 4, 2013
It was maintained. But there comes a time when you have to say enough. It didn't even make enough money to support itself.
details please

Midlothian, IL

#7 Jan 4, 2013
That pool was in dire need of repair and updating. It made me sick to see all the money that was being invested in the parks in recent years, when the locker rooms at the pool were a mess for decades. What a shame that one of the few things that made Midlothian special was left to die.
Guerreroplus2

Midlothian, IL

#8 Jan 5, 2013
Me and two my amigos can dig you a knew pool.
whale turds

Blue Island, IL

#9 Jan 5, 2013
Now where is mys chilldren gonna swim
20 year resident

Alsip, IL

#10 Jan 6, 2013
Guerreroplus2 wrote:
Me and two my amigos can dig you a knew pool.
i am sick and tired of the village spending my money lets wait until the the loan they took out for water infrastructure is paid back....thats 30 dollars a month extra on my bill...... stop spending money that i dont have

“26 year Midlo resident”

Wichita, Kansas

#11 Jan 6, 2013
20 year resident wrote:
<quoted text> i am sick and tired of the village spending my money lets wait until the the loan they took out for water infrastructure is paid back....thats 30 dollars a month extra on my bill...... stop spending money that i dont have
Actually it is $31.05 per 3 months just sayin.
Midlothian Country Club

Chicago, IL

#12 Jan 6, 2013
whale turds wrote:
Now where is mys chilldren gonna swim
They have a beautiful pool.
Kildare Kid

Highland, IN

#13 Jan 6, 2013
Back in the old days, we had no pool. We went to Blue Island. It was located where the hospital is now. It was well kept and lasted for many years, until the hospital wanted to expand. By the way, it was outdoors.We had a outside pool in Highland and the upkeep was fantastic and they filled it in.
This is happening in many towns. Indoor pools are the next thing. I wasn't aware if the Midlo pool was inside or out.

“26 year Midlo resident”

Wichita, Kansas

#14 Jan 6, 2013
Seems the thing the park district wanted us to approve funding for 2 years ago was a big expansion to the current building. I think it included an indoor pool. Maybe they let the old one run down so they can push for the big expansion again.
fencikus

Blue Island, IL

#15 Jan 6, 2013
Midlo resident wrote:
Seems the thing the park district wanted us to approve funding for 2 years ago was a big expansion to the current building. I think it included an indoor pool. Maybe they let the old one run down so they can push for the big expansion again.
this seems like its the way they do things around here
Interested

Lockport, IL

#16 Jan 6, 2013
20 year resident wrote:
<quoted text> i am sick and tired of the village spending my money lets wait until the the loan they took out for water infrastructure is paid back....thats 30 dollars a month extra on my bill...... stop spending money that i dont have
PLEASE tell me you realize that when you say you're "tired of the village" spending your money...and you post it on a topic involving the Midlothian Park District Pool...which has NOTHING to do with the Village of Midlothian - two totally separate entities and taxing bodies governed by very different people...right?

Not that the Village hasn't spent beyond their means but let's not hang stuff on them that they aren't responsible.

Thanks
Josh

Midlothian, IL

#17 Feb 17, 2013
I understand the pool cost money but the pool should be a source of income, and it's a positive for a city to have a pool. If they built one, it needs to be better than the old one, maybe have some slides so people will go there. It doesn't need a volley ball court or a useless green box thing, or a play ground. It needs to strictly be a pool the other garbage was useless
team Rybak

Midlothian, IL

#18 Feb 17, 2013
Josh wrote:
I understand the pool cost money but the pool should be a source of income, and it's a positive for a city to have a pool. If they built one, it needs to be better than the old one, maybe have some slides so people will go there. It doesn't need a volley ball court or a useless green box thing, or a play ground. It needs to strictly be a pool the other garbage was useless
Ask us. Our plans exactly.
TeamRybak

Hammond, IN

#19 Feb 18, 2013
team Rybak wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask us. Our plans exactly.
Don't take my name now:):)
Midlothian resident

Blue Island, IL

#20 Feb 18, 2013
Lets be real having a pool is not going to change our village. We need business,jobs and our taxes to STOP going up.The mayor has done nothing for the people. We dont need a new village hall...... Home rule was there way of doing and getting whatever he wanted.3

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Holland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Alsip Trustees 1 hr Good Question 7
JAWA water project (Jun '12) 10 hr CASA 753
School board meeting 4/20/17 11 hr Pure Magic 16
BGA JAWA investigation in the Sun Times (part 2) (Sep '13) 12 hr Cue the Laugh 27
News Midlothian Man jailed after causing mayhem :: T... (Aug '10) 14 hr 18th and Oaklet 35
Douglas Schroeder (Jun '13) 16 hr AK 47th 82
Good Luck Terry (May '09) 17 hr lol 12

South Holland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Holland Mortgages