Should I move from South Holland

Should I move from South Holland

Posted in the South Holland Forum

thinking about a move

United States

#1 Nov 26, 2008
I live in South Holland, IL (close to Dolton). I just recently bought a house there within the last year. I have heard a lot of negative comments about the south suburbs and how they are becoming crime infested and just going downhill. I have 2 young boys and do not want to raise them in that type of environment. I also do not want to lose out on the house that I just bought. The housing market has been going downhill because of the economy.

I just wanted people's opinions on South Holland as a community and as a place to raise kids.

It does not seem that bad but maybe there is something out there that I cannot see.
LivingINtheGHETT O

Des Plaines, IL

#2 Dec 7, 2008
I live in South Holland and I can not WAIT to get out of here. Home invasions, gangs and drugs is not the way I planned to see in my back yard!
tom

United States

#3 Jan 9, 2009
It was not like that 30 yrs ago! Gee , i wonder why.
SH CITIZEN

Brookfield, IL

#4 Mar 27, 2010
The leadership in South Holland is great. The people of South Holland must be held responsible for their actions. Is their a reason for White and Black flight. People move into neighborhoods hoping for a better life, that better life must start at home. The reason a lot of people move to SH is not apt. buildings - no liquor stores - no outside basketball courts and the Church environment.Support your community. You moved here, attend Church here. Report crime and crime will be controlled.
Jomyron

Dekalb, IL

#5 Apr 3, 2010
I've lived in south holland since i was 5 years old (moved from hazel crest). When i first came i admit it wasn't as many juveniles doing bad things as now, but south holland overall is much better than the surrounding cities. Compared to Harvey, Dolton, Pheonix, Dixmoor, Calumet city, and lansing (to an extent) South Holland is a bright light amongst dim bulbs. Yes I am being somewhat over exaggerative, but its not as Livin in the ghetto may suggest (South holland IS NO GHETTO). There may be bad seeds here and there, but not to the extent that people tend to believe. I've been around the bad seeds before, whether at Thornwood high school, or just walking on the borders of other cities and south holland. I can still walk around at night in south holland and not worry about getting shot up or jumped and robbed. I promise you the people of harvey do not have that luxury as they did 25+ years ago (yes I know about the history of these cities as well) I have relatives and friends in all of the cities surrounding South Holland, and i hear the same from them constantly, complaining about crime rates in their cities in comparison to South Holland.

Overall, South Holland is still a good place to raise your kids, though as a parent you still have your responsibilities of teaching them right from wrong, and letting them know not to submit to peer pressure, which can be negative WHEREVER you live.

If anyone was wondering I am 20 years old, and spent most of my life in South Holland. I am currently a student at NIU (northern Illinois university) I and many of my friends who live in South Holland are proof that you can raise a child here and that child can make it to any university Illinois has to offer.

sincerely,

A concerned citizen of South Holland

Since: Sep 14

Location hidden

#6 Oct 5, 2014
I bought in South Holland.
The only thing I don't like, are the taxes.
Oh my God!
The taxes are outrageous!
Deedee

Oak Forest, IL

#7 Oct 17, 2014
Just moved here 7 years ago and I love it. Of course where I came from was the south side. I don't like the taxes and some portions are not as safe and well as others. However I feel it's still a good place to live. The government is accessible and any law enforcement concerns are met. The taxes are outrageous but Doltons are the same and you don't get the services there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Holland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Patch pulls D142 Agler article 42 min TRUTH 8
City Attorney ShawnTe Raines has No Municipal A... (Jan '14) 58 min Nancy 218
Is this Sharon Rybak in this video? 1 hr KeystoneMidlo 1
Gary Sinise? (Dec '11) 5 hr How Many More Law... 23
Blue Island Rec Center newest employee (Mar '15) 10 hr Change is needed 132
Poll Should Crestwood residents pay for Chief T's cr... (Oct '11) 10 hr Fantastic 662
Mike Madigan Ready To Insult Your Intelligence ... (Feb '13) 11 hr Repeat 236
More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Holland Mortgages