Before and After in the South Suburbs

Before and After in the South Suburbs

There are 22 comments on the Chicago Magazine story from Jun 30, 2010, titled Before and After in the South Suburbs. In it, Chicago Magazine reports that:

Before: Jim McClelland, Sr., and Jim Jr. in a gutted basement, where water rot had ruined the walls.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Magazine.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
JR in town

Chicago, IL

#1 Jul 2, 2010
Here is one of the way the village goes down. They buy the home for next to nothing. Then rent it out to sect.8
or people who don't care about the community. The people renting don't have to live here.
DoltonForum

Dolton, IL

#2 Jul 3, 2010
Exactly. And everyone writing kudos to them for saving these downtrodden towns, yadda, yadda, yadda. It is a wonderful thing that he's doing. But it's all about making money/business. The people they are renting these rehabs to, aren't taking care of the property. They are Section8rs. And the renter doesn't care just like you stated because they don't live out here! Yes, the home is no longer boarded up, yet the tennant is on welfare, Section8rs, don't care about anything, ghetto-mentality and their children are problems. I just drove down my street and someone dumped trash/debris all in the middle of the street. It was all kinds of stuff, socks, clothing, tapes, food, etc, etc. Out of the 20 years I lived here...never have I experienced blatant trash all in the streets. I don't know a great portion of the new folks who even live over here now.
BAM

United States

#3 Jul 4, 2010
Village code enforcers will have to make sure that the houses are being kept up. If they're not kept up, fine the tennants. If that doesn't work, the owners should be heavily fined and be ultimately held responsible for neglect.
Bull Dog

Calumet City, IL

#4 Jul 4, 2010
The article does not say if Mack Industries has a team that periodically checks up on those properties to see if renters are taking good care of the property both inside and outside. If he doesn't, then he is just a slum lord in the making.

Also, he said he intends to keep the properties for at least 15 years. If his renters are section 8'ers with ghetto mentality, those buildings will not last that long.
DOLTONITE IN THE KNOW

Dolton, IL

#5 Jul 5, 2010
Mack Industries has a team of managers that check and police all their properties, as well as a full time maintenance crew. They don't just rent to section 8 tenents, and have a long list of people wanting to rent from them because they are good landlords. They have been a rental and rehab company for years and have built a solid reputation in the south suburbs.
No tenent in Dolton gets fined for neglect or trashing a property, the landlord does!
Those fines go up to $500.00.!
Bad property happens when fly by night landlords rent out property without a village inspection.
ALL rentals have to have an inspection, and all section 8 rentals are required to have an annual "Certificate of Compliance", rental report, so they cannot rent out without it.
That certificate is what every prospective renter should ask the landlord to provide, whether they are section 8 or not.
That ensures the property has been brought up to minimum housing standards as set forth by the Federal and local housing authorities.
If a section 8 tenent trashes a house they lose their voucher. Then they cannot leach off the government any more.
I hope that this info will help new tenents, and no, I do not work for Mack Industries.
JR in town

Chicago, IL

#6 Jul 5, 2010
BAM wrote:
Village code enforcers will have to make sure that the houses are being kept up. If they're not kept up, fine the tennants. If that doesn't work, the owners should be heavily fined and be ultimately held responsible for neglect.
Who enforcing the code? If you know someone you could get thing past quickly. If they don't want you to come in or they want you to do what they "the village wants" it different.
Kevin Davis

Palatine, IL

#7 Jul 8, 2010
I am at a loss for words for those complaining about a company coming into Dolton, buying our foreclosed trashed homes, fixing them up and renting them out to carefully selected people who very likely take better care of the property than you do.

Mack has been around a long time and their reputation is excellent. Instead of reading the lies on this board go ask a village official about them. All you will hear is praise for their work.

And for the clueless fool for posted "But it's all about making money/business." Gee whiz... and why do think people run businesses? To lose money? To not be able to hire people and pay salaries? To go out of business? Our community has over 25% unemployment! I don't see you putting a "Help Wanted" sign outside your home. This "business is bad, making money is evil" nonsense has gone too far. What would you like? Have these homes taken over by gangs to sell crack? Have them turn further into rat holes? Do you even think before you write your garbage?
wiffey

Chicago, IL

#8 Jul 13, 2010
Kevin Davis wrote:
I am at a loss for words for those complaining about a company coming into Dolton, buying our foreclosed trashed homes, fixing them up and renting them out to carefully selected people who very likely take better care of the property than you do.
Mack has been around a long time and their reputation is excellent. Instead of reading the lies on this board go ask a village official about them. All you will hear is praise for their work.
And for the clueless fool for posted "But it's all about making money/business." Gee whiz... and why do think people run businesses? To lose money? To not be able to hire people and pay salaries? To go out of business? Our community has over 25% unemployment! I don't see you putting a "Help Wanted" sign outside your home. This "business is bad, making money is evil" nonsense has gone too far. What would you like? Have these homes taken over by gangs to sell crack? Have them turn further into rat holes? Do you even think before you write your garbage?
Well Kevin to put it nicley...they are being taken over by gang bangers...and why are you commented on something and you live way in Brookfield? Let Mac come to your town and buy up all the property and rent it out to the thugs and bangers that now reside in Dolton.
ActiveResident

Park Forest, IL

#9 Jul 13, 2010
Wiffey: The town it mentions is where the user's ISP is located, not where they live. So we have no idea where Kevin lives. Mines shows something like Westchester or something? Don't even know where that is!
Kevin Davis

United States

#10 Jul 13, 2010
Wiffey, so let me get this straight: this company buys distressed properties, rehabs them at considerable cost, and then rents them out to only credit-worthy tenants... but "they are being taken over by gang bangers," according to you?

Really?

Can you give us an example to prove your outragious accusation? Just one? One address? One police report. One piece of evidence to back up your lies and obvious racism.

Wiffey, by the way, do you have trouble with successful black people? Or are we all "gang bangers" or "thugs"? Do it bother you that black people have the money to rent out nice homes nearby you?

By the way, I work in Brookfield and am posting from there. I live in Dolton. Why are YOU commenting on Dolton when you live in Chicago? Another opportunity to spout off your racism?

But again, I am just a "banger" to you right?
BJ in town

Chicago, IL

#11 Jul 14, 2010
I don't understand the way this works. I thought that Dolton get the houses from Hud and they then Mack fixes
them out and dolton sales them and out of the sale "they the village can only make 10% off of the sale".
Shadow Knows

Harvey, IL

#12 Jul 15, 2010
NO THAT IS NOT IT, DOLTON HAS IT'S OWN PROGRAM - NEIGHBORHOOD SOMETHING OR ANOTHER. It just started but they use to do that and let contractors bid to repair them. This time they are using local contractors so to keep the money circulating in Dolton. Neat huh.
Screaming mad in Dolton

Bensenville, IL

#13 Jul 16, 2010
Shadow Knows, you have to be Bert Herzog, right?
Screaming mad in Dolton

Bensenville, IL

#14 Jul 16, 2010
I take that back, you are Trustee Lowe...I knew it.
LOL

Chicago, IL

#15 Jul 16, 2010
I vote the Shadow is Bert.
BJ in town

Chicago, IL

#16 Jul 16, 2010
Screaming mad in Dolton wrote:
I take that back, you are Trustee Lowe...I knew it.
I think it Trustee Lowe but non of the Trustee
know what they are suppose to do. The do know what there job are. They get pay to do nothing. What kind of job do they really do???? Just think about it for a little bit. It will make you head hurt.
what

Calumet City, IL

#17 Jul 19, 2010
LOL wrote:
I vote the Shadow is Bert.
I vote the shawdow is that clerk that sits next to the mayor.
ActiveResident

Park Forest, IL

#18 Jul 20, 2010
BJ in town wrote:
<quoted text> I think it Trustee Lowe but non of the Trustee
know what they are suppose to do. The do know what there job are. They get pay to do nothing. What kind of job do they really do???? Just think about it for a little bit. It will make you head hurt.
Nope, just trying to read your illiterate post made my head hurt...
BJ in town

Chicago, IL

#19 Jul 22, 2010
ActiveResident wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, just trying to read your illiterate post made my head hurt...
Ha did I hurt your fillings. Had to change you name !!!
If the shoe fit you must wear it.
helo

Chicago, IL

#20 Jul 22, 2010
I do sectoin 8 and it help ar family, we ned the asistent of state we keep the home cleen

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Holland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Public Hearing on the water rate increase 47 min Follow the Money 29
Village Hall Painted 1 hr Coward 33
BI Finance Committee 4 hr Then Again 130
City Attorney ShawnTe Raines has No Municipal A... (Jan '14) 13 hr Relief Factor 277
Mike Madigan Ready To Insult Your Intelligence ... (Feb '13) 14 hr Diane 407
Welcome to Blue Island Park District! (Sep '12) 14 hr Walk Right In 52
Court dates for Blue Island 17 hr Shanondanada 68

South Holland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Holland Mortgages