Dam In Hawaii Bursts, Killing At Least 1

Full story: WFRV-TV Green Bay

HONOLULU An earthen dam burst on the Hawaiian island of Kauai on Tuesday, sweeping away houses in a torrent of water 150 yards across.
Comments
1 - 20 of 27 Comments Last updated Jan 15, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Knock Knock

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Mar 14, 2006
 
Wait. Am I the only one wondering why an ISLAND would have a dam? I mean it's an Island, and it's surrounded by water!! And then to put a lake between you and more water!! I just don't understand.
let me see water all around me. Steady ground. And then "hey lets put some water between the the big areas of water"...U is for Understand...Me don't Understand...Me want cookie
Kawika Moniz

Goleta, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Mar 14, 2006
 
Have you ever heard of irrigation, and fresh water gathering systems for residents. Just a quick question, Cookie were do you obtain the water in your state from?
Kauai resident

Wailuku, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Mar 14, 2006
 
Cookie Monster wrote:
Wait. Am I the only one wondering why an ISLAND would have a dam? I mean it's an Island, and it's surrounded by water!! And then to put a lake between you and more water!! I just don't understand.
let me see water all around me. Steady ground. And then "hey lets put some water between the the big areas of water"...U is for Understand...Me don't Understand...Me want cookie
Obviously you don't understand. I live about 4 blocks from this area and let me educate you. Firstly this runs through the old sugar cane fields which are no longer active crops. It was originally built to help irrigate the sugar cane, and also for the mountain runoff. Sometimes it rains extremely heavy in the mountains and where there's not a river for this excess water to flow to the ocean something has to be built for this runoff. I hope that enlightens you. Enjoy your cookies.
Knock Knock

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Mar 15, 2006
 
Kauai resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you don't understand. I live about 4 blocks from this area and let me educate you. Firstly this runs through the old sugar cane fields which are no longer active crops. It was originally built to help irrigate the sugar cane, and also for the mountain runoff. Sometimes it rains extremely heavy in the mountains and where there's not a river for this excess water to flow to the ocean something has to be built for this runoff. I hope that enlightens you. Enjoy your cookies.
You have all these "enlightenments" but you don't also answer any questions! Was it a working dam? If so why didn't anybody release the water before all the trouble? Most dams have "spillways" to eliminate excess water build up in case of heavy rain, or flooding, etc., why weren't these working? Also was any "maintenance" being performed with the dam all these years, or did you (the state or who ever owned it) think nothing would ever happen and forgot about it? So many questions could explain alot of things. Come back when you are more "informed" so we can be. Since you "live there and only "4" blocks away, I'm sure you can answer all these questions? Till then, try and keep dry
Stiv

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Mar 15, 2006
 
It was an "earthen dam" that got overstaurated and collapsed.

Freak occurrence stuff happens.
debrannan

Hilo, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Mar 15, 2006
 
The dam, it should be noted, was built, I think I heard, over a hundred years ago. btw 60 of the 72 on the island are privately owned. Looks like Cookie, you are the only one wondering why there are dams here.
kmiranda

Reno, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Mar 16, 2006
 
debrannan wrote:
The dam, it should be noted, was built, I think I heard, over a hundred years ago. btw 60 of the 72 on the island are privately owned. Looks like Cookie, you are the only one wondering why there are dams here.
I dont believe any of you sarcastic son of a bitches are more concerned with blaming and making stupid remarks than thinking about the people who died. Shame on you. There was a family asleep at five thrity in the morning who was suddenly awakened and killed along with four others who will most likely suffer the same fate. Your worried about who to blame give me a break. I was born and raised on Kauai and if you came around me talking that stupid shit right now you would get your ass handed to you. Cookie or whatever your idiot name is try and think before you talk. Don't all of you think if anyone thought this could possibly happen we would have tried to prevent it. It was a freak occurance and it has shaken our island community up greatly so try to have some fucking courtesy.
Knock Knock

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Mar 16, 2006
 
debrannan wrote:
The dam, it should be noted, was built, I think I heard, over a hundred years ago. btw 60 of the 72 on the island are privately owned. Looks like Cookie, you are the only one wondering why there are dams here.
Oh this is a brillant answer, "the dam, it should be noted, was build...Notice how we are all to take notice..."I think I heard"...Give me a break!! You want to tell me something, have your facts straight, not a "I think I heard" yet I'm supposed to listen. "I heard" your crazy and in a Mental Institution" but I wanted you to note that...
Knock Knock

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Mar 16, 2006
 
kmiranda wrote:
<quoted text>

I dont believe any of you sarcastic son of a bitches are more concerned with blaming and making stupid remarks than thinking about the people who died. Shame on you. There was a family asleep at five thrity in the morning who was suddenly awakened and killed along with four others who will most likely suffer the same fate. Your worried about who to blame give me a break. I was born and raised on Kauai and if you came around me talking that stupid shit right now you would get your ass handed to you. Cookie or whatever your idiot name is try and think before you talk. Don't all of you think if anyone thought this could possibly happen we would have tried to prevent it. It was a freak occurance and it has shaken our island community up greatly so try to have some fucking courtesy.
Question for this Genius. If the family was awoken at 5:30 in the morning and died, how do they know they were awake when they died? Plus if you read the threads, you'll see they were asking if someone was keeping up maintence on the dam or what, not accusing anyone. Also what is this "we would of tried to prevented it"? Are you an Engineer or someone who knows about Dams? And I seriously doubt you would "hand my ass to me" as you have NO idea who I am, what I made do for a living, or even if I could be in a frickin mental hospital or something. What an idiot you made yourself out to be just now. Go back to eating your pineapple and coconuts because your lack of intelligence on figuring out what people wrote here is disturbing for us. Maholo...wow, I know hawaiian talk to
Wow

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Mar 17, 2006
 
What's wrong with you people?

First and foremost, to the cookie monster/boogie boarder: you're a moron. Plain and simple, end of story. Spare the world by sewing your mouth shut and amputating your fingers. And work on your edjumication, boy. "Why would an island have a dam?"?? Jesus, man, as duly noted by Bakersfield above, that's a stupid question.

Second, I'm thinking no one should be handing anyone else their own asses. Seems like there's enough of that going around. That said, I'm pretty sure Reno can take the cookie monster.

Third, it's not pineapples and coconuts, dear little cookie monster. It's lau lau for the kau kau.

PS - Cookie monster and anyone else like the cookie monster, if you ever get the cahnce to visit Kauai, I recommend you visit the beautiful neighborhoods in Kekaha. Just park your car on the street and explore for a few hours. They love ignorant main landers.
Knock Knock

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Mar 17, 2006
 
Wow wrote:
What's wrong with you people?

First and foremost, to the cookie monster/boogie boarder: you're a moron. Plain and simple, end of story. Spare the world by sewing your mouth shut and amputating your fingers. And work on your edjumication, boy. "Why would an island have a dam?"?? Jesus, man, as duly noted by Bakersfield above, that's a stupid question.

Second, I'm thinking no one should be handing anyone else their own asses. Seems like there's enough of that going around. That said, I'm pretty sure Reno can take the cookie monster.

Third, it's not pineapples and coconuts, dear little cookie monster. It's lau lau for the kau kau.

PS - Cookie monster and anyone else like the cookie monster, if you ever get the cahnce to visit Kauai, I recommend you visit the beautiful neighborhoods in Kekaha. Just park your car on the street and explore for a few hours. They love ignorant main landers.
Hey folks its another "Genuis" on the thread.
If you can't take the humor, then stay out of the threads. There aren't to many of us that can take your "I'm almighty, listen to me" bullshi#!!
I SERIOUSLY doubt anyone here means anything bad. It's like when someone gets hurt in a funny way (like when a guy gets hit in the ballsack), you don't want to laugh but sometimes you do. You don't mean anything bad by it, you just happened to laugh. Lighten up BITCH!!
Knock Knock

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Mar 18, 2006
 
kmiranda wrote:
<quoted text>

I dont believe any of you sarcastic son of a bitches are more concerned with blaming and making stupid remarks than thinking about the people who died. Shame on you. There was a family asleep at five thrity in the morning who was suddenly awakened and killed along with four others who will most likely suffer the same fate. Your worried about who to blame give me a break. I was born and raised on Kauai and if you came around me talking that stupid shit right now you would get your ass handed to you. Cookie or whatever your idiot name is try and think before you talk. Don't all of you think if anyone thought this could possibly happen we would have tried to prevent it. It was a freak occurance and it has shaken our island community up greatly so try to have some fucking courtesy.
Bawahhhhhhh. I don't like what you write..Bawahhhhhhh. So I'm going to come on and cuss you all out.....Bawahhhhhhh.....Lighte n up. And by the way you live in Reno, you are no longer you "island communtiy. And like anyone would really go there and say anything jokinly about it. Be REAL with yourself. This is only a forum and some people are fun (with no hurt intended) and some serious. No matter which side your on, they are only PERSONAL OPINIONS or REPLYS!!
Just like the cuss word in the end you just HAD to use. It was your opinion and we heard it. Sounded like a bunch of Bawahhhhhhhhh to me though....
kmiranda

Reno, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Mar 18, 2006
 
Boogie Boarder, thats a good one!
kmiranda

Reno, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Mar 18, 2006
 
"Go back to eating your pineapple and coconuts", What are you a dietician!
Cindy

Yakima, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Mar 22, 2006
 
I am so happy that you all can make light of the situation, while we are sitting here awaiting the return of our daughter, niece, cousin, sister, and friend. I am fully aware that the issue of the dam needs to be addressed, but couldn't this wait until we have found and buried our loved ones? I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion...but do y'all have to bicker about this now???? I am not trying to start anything...but please, a little respect for those lost in this terrible accident!!!
US American

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Mar 26, 2006
 
Well, cookie Monster, Perhaps you did not finish school to know the purpose of a DAM. And the DAM is not there to keep water in the island it is also there to help divert the over flow of the water. Perhaps you should eat less cookies and learn how to read a abook about dams. I sure hope for the benefit of the world that you did not finish going to school with what you wrote.
Cookie Monster wrote:
Wait. Am I the only one wondering why an ISLAND would have a dam? I mean it's an Island, and it's surrounded by water!! And then to put a lake between you and more water!! I just don't understand.
let me see water all around me. Steady ground. And then "hey lets put some water between the the big areas of water"...U is for Understand...Me don't Understand...Me want cookie
Taxpayer

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Mar 26, 2006
 
These types of dams are all over the U.S. They were built for mills, lakes, and fresh water. There might be one in your area. Sum'tin to think about.
Lance Winslow

Renton, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Mar 26, 2006
 
Indeed much of this old infrastructure are these old dams and they are all over our country.
Kimbo Slice

Vancouver, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Mar 26, 2006
 
Why don't all of you just shut the hell up. Bush has officially stated that Osama was on the island and the CIA tripped the dam in a plot to drown him.
john charles webb

Lihue, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Mar 26, 2006
 
Cookie Monster wrote:
Wait. Am I the only one wondering why an ISLAND would have a dam? I mean it's an Island, and it's surrounded by water!! And then to put a lake between you and more water!! I just don't understand.
let me see water all around me. Steady ground. And then "hey lets put some water between the the big areas of water"...U is for Understand...Me don't Understand...Me want cookie
The Island of Kauai is a mountain (volcano) and water is held in a dam for agriculture purposes (farms). Otherwise rain water runs down the mountain into the salty ocean and is wasted.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

South Hamilton News Video

•••
•••

South Hamilton Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

South Hamilton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

South Hamilton News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in South Hamilton
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••