Gangster culture leads to bullying

Gangster culture leads to bullying

There are 91 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from Apr 5, 2010, titled Gangster culture leads to bullying. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

Throughout my academic career, I have been harassed by many, and I applaud whatever school administrator it was who took action against these delinquents.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Robert Bertram

Albany, NY

#2 Apr 5, 2010
Meaning?

“Hello”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#3 Apr 5, 2010
Robert Bertram wrote:
Meaning?
I totally agree with you.Being a middleaged woman,i've noticed the change in how the youth of america has evolved,and mostly not in a good way.Between not showing respect for their elders,the gang culture,and just outright hostility to individuals who have differences,i worry about future generations.When youth laugh and continue the bullying behavior even after they have deceased,it makes me wonder about our young people.Great article.
Jackasourus

United States

#4 Apr 5, 2010
Sounds like chicken and the egg story which came first. I think Nascar is directly responcible for bullying.
Robert Bertram

Albany, NY

#5 Apr 5, 2010
In 2007, I was removed from Monument Valley Middle School because, as a result of being pushed around too many times, I posted some content on the internet that didn't sit well with others. I threatened no one; allusions are much different than direct proclamations. And although I understand the school's actions, it is unfortunate that former Superintendent Donna Moyer showed such poor judgment.

I was never asked how I really felt. It was only assumed that I was the "Threat" to everyone else. That's what drives society today- assumption, and opinion. Assumption and opinion can be very dangerous things.
Robert Bertram

Albany, NY

#6 Apr 5, 2010
But the matter of bullying and the matter of the gangster culture could be looked at as two separate issues. The Gangsterism of the youth of America is a very different animal from the Gangsterism of adults. Those in New York City, Chicago or Los Angeles, whose wholesale operations include murder, production and trafficking of illicit substances and glorification of the use of such substances, are what young people are trying to emulate; and this is a very dangerous thing.

The breaking of laws, and the encouragement of the breaking of laws, aimed at youth, is absolutely unacceptable. The easiest way to deal with this would of course be the regulation of the culture of teenagers. How is that accomplished? By regulating what they wear, and by regulating what they have access to on the internet. In the coming years, I see Gangsterism as being a growing threat to the public; and I dare say, I would like to see the archetypal "Gangster" declared an enemy of both the public and the state, and tracked down until he is no more.
Ken

Ludlow, MA

#7 Apr 5, 2010
Gangster parents having Gangster kids. There are no more Cleaver type parents left.

“Hello”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#9 Apr 5, 2010
Ken wrote:
Gangster parents having Gangster kids. There are no more Cleaver type parents left.
Its sad but your right.There is defintely a breakdown in society concerning the civility and decency of people these days.Mostly the youth,i hate to say.
War Zone

Chesterfield, MO

#10 Apr 5, 2010
I call it the " NEW RUDENESS ". I see it in adults and kids in many public places. I see it mostly amoung the " Homer Simpson " and " Dumb Sports Fan " crowd rather than the punk and gangster types.
Keane Decker

Ashburn, VA

#12 Apr 5, 2010
Regulating what they wear? Honestly robbie, this is rediculous. You teach good manners, you don't make bad manners illegal. I wonder often if you look at what you are typing or at least think about it. All sorts of things affect all sorts of behaviors. The majority of them are good, and just because a few people make bad decisions, does not mean the system needs to be changed. You have been picked on and bullied, which is why i think you are trying to push regulations. It's because you don't trust people, not that it's your fault that you were bullied. However, you can't live other people's lives for them. That's not how any country should be founded. People need to be free, otherwise this isn't america. What if i told you that you couldn't wear a suit? You would say, "Why?" And I would say, because you wearing a suit leads to destructive thinking. Then you would say. "That is an assumption!" And you would be right. I'm upset that your experiences have made you to make this decision.
Keane Decker

Albany, NY

#15 Apr 6, 2010
robbie you have an opinion too; yes my opinion is conservative. However, how can you justify regulating other's rights to wear baggy or "gangster" clothes. That's right you have no right to do that. Let other people make the decision for themselves of how they want to live their lifestyle. If it is illegal then it is wrong and they are arrested. I don't agree with Gangsterism I think that drug trade, and murder are wrong. What exactly happens Robbie if people wearing "gangster" clothing don't want to change? What is the punishment robbie? Yes I said "think" that because of your experiences, you are trying to push these regulations. I didn't say "know", however this is based on you telling your life story about how you got picked on. I realize that it is not that alone, yet that must be a big part of it. Don't come at me with your cocky attitude. I have my opinion and just because it is different than yours does not mean you should get all upset about it.
wikipedia: Post hoc ergo propter hoc, Latin for "after this, therefore because of this", is a logical fallacy
You do not wish to have Communism Robbie, your state of government lies under Facism. This is based off of your control of manufaturing and your control of what people are wearing could fall under this too. You aren't worried about whether they are wearing they clothes they are or not. You are worried about drugs and shootings. This is understandable, however you are making the assumption that wearing baggy clothes leads to killing. This is a stereotype; now stereotypes aren't completely wrong. They notice something different in an object. However, you'd be wrong to say that this leads to this all the time no matter what. No, my brother smokes and has his pants baggy but he does not commit gang violence. You deal with Gangsterism through actions. If a man with baggy clothes, who swears all the time comes in for a job interview, then you would be probable not to give him a job.
You say "how can you decide what should and should not happen"? Well Robbie how can you decide what should or should not happen? You say gansterism can lead to a dangerous culture and thus killing. It can harm people and increase drug trade. However, through your system you wish to regulate rights of others. You are trying to stop a bad action before it is happening, which of course is not a bad thing. However, you are taking the right from other people so you can make things safer. You're hurting more people then you are helping. Don't live other people's lives for them.
sekhmet

Easthampton, MA

#16 Apr 6, 2010
Ken wrote:
Gangster parents having Gangster kids. There are no more Cleaver type parents left.
I once had a student whose mother had "gangsta lady"tatooed on her neck.What does that tell you?
No kidding

Huntington, MA

#17 Apr 6, 2010
sandy63 wrote:
<quoted text>Its sad but your right.There is defintely a breakdown in society concerning the civility and decency of people these days.Mostly the youth,i hate to say.
Just watch Fox News for an example of the breakdown in society. We are giving News over to obnoxious former DJs.

However, bullying is no worse now than 30 years ago.
Robert Bertram

Albany, NY

#18 Apr 6, 2010
Why are you voicing your opinion of why you "Think" I want these regulations? You "Think" that my experiences have caused me to come to my current decisions now, as you've established; and what of it? What point are you trying to make by voicing what you "Think" prompted me to want these regulations?

And the Israelis seem to be successful at stopping many potential terrorists from getting onto planes with their regulations.

The German government has made the display or promotion of Nazism illegal, per their bid to stop it from possibly rising again.

And no one can just walk into a school for class wearing a swastika for example, because it represent a culture created by the Nazis which encouraged genocide and violence. Are these unreasonable measures too? They are reasonable, because they work. They don't work all the time, but they work most of the time. So why not do it? That, is my point.
Keane Decker

Albany, NY

#19 Apr 6, 2010
Because this is not Germany, we allow people to follow whatever they like. Of course they don't allow those things in schools, this is because it is a public school where it is not privately owned. You haven't answered my question about if they will not change what will happen. We obviously have not stamped out nazism in this country, however the best way to come to a conclusion is through debate. You are taking the aspect of debate out of it with these regulations. Sure you can stop alot of terrorists by taking precautions with any arab that tries to get on a plane. But then again i could stop a shooting by blowing up a city. If I were afraid of a terrorist attack, i would certainly not stop them from worshiping their religion. Remember US history last year? Remember Brandeis and Holmes? Do you remember what Wilson was trying to do? It's kind of what you are trying to do.
This is why we need a great judiciary system.
wtf

Easthampton, MA

#21 Apr 6, 2010
THis is ridiculous the reason for that girls death was not at the fault of those who perpetuate your claimed "gangsters", it was by other girls! and you arent paying attention to the real matter at hand, the reason so many people deal drugs and shoot others and loot and etc. are because of poverty and status. the unemployment rate is extremely high, the dollar has lost value, millions are still without healthcare as they wait for the bill to take effect. why not pay more attention to helping people rather than punishing them?
Robert Bertram

Albany, NY

#22 Apr 6, 2010
And what type of mentality do you think those girls were in who bullied Phoebe Prince? There must be a name for it. And what kind of mentality was the young man who raped her in? And the Gangsterist culture is perpetuated by both its promotion, and it being attractive due to poverty and inadequate living standards.

It depends on your definition of "Helping people". You could help one person by immobilizing another. For example, if a man ran at you with a knife, and a police officer were there, and shot the man before he got to you, would you call that punishment? The Gangsterist culture, while, as I clearly stated, is not the definitive cause of the events leading to Phoebe's death, it is undoubtedly a factor.
Silvo

Adams, MA

#23 Apr 6, 2010
Ken wrote:
Gangster parents having Gangster kids. There are no more Cleaver type parents left.
Ken, You can call me Ward.
Keane Decker

Ashburn, VA

#24 Apr 6, 2010
What is the punishment robbie?
Wearing baggy clothes and killing people are different. It's the difference between a style and a crime. People are still going to be killed, and kill themselves. Fighting gang activity is different. The point of gangs is to do wrong, and possibly harm others. Stop blanketing the situation and start looking at the differences. Answer the punishment question, just a reminder.
Bobby Knows

Cropseyville, NY

#25 Apr 6, 2010
Look at the United States Senate and House of Representattives they are are nothing but a bunch of bullys in sheeps clothing.They gang up and prey on the weak.They have only their own best interest in mind no matter what they do.They lie and cheat and steal and kick people when they are at there most vunerable with out a thought for the feelings of others.that is what a bully is.And we are supposed to leave it up to our politicians to solve this problem by passing new laws?Are we crazy?These politicians are the root of the problem they set the example,they are on the nightly news, spewing their their venom,When was the last time you heard a republican agreeing with a democrat or vice a versa.Every state or federal politician takes a party line stand instead of the right stand,This has to stop.Are we all so naive that we think our children turn a blind eye to the fact that our elected politicians are more interested in keeping their jobs than doing the peoples business,I think not.Don't ever under underestimate the younger generation they may look a little different than you would like,but i'm sure you looked a little different to your parents generation,And oor generation but believe me,the time will come and they will take.And by the grace of God they will not screw it up as much as the last two generations have.AMEN. GOOD LUCK KIDS.
Robert Bertram

United States

#26 Apr 6, 2010
Bobby- We have a history of "Party line" in his country. People who go with the flow instead of coming up with constructing good ideas themselves. But then there are some Democrats, and some Republicans, who follow a more logical path; rather than the party-oriented emotional path. This generation has a fair amount of such people-to-be.

Keane- You are correct in saying there's a difference between wearing baggy clothes and killing people. That is not in dispute. What is in dispute is whether or not suppressing Gangsterism should be taken seriously- and if you're going to suppress violence and crime after they happen, why not take precautions beforehand?

Here's an example Many terrorists may look a certain etchnicity; however, not al people who are of that ethnicity are terrorists. Therefore, screening people who fit that majority group (The group to which terrorists or any other threat may be similar) will catch terrorists. It enables us to catch terrorists because we are screening a wider population. What you called "Blanketing". Some say it is racist, some say it is unconstitutional; but I will not get into a debate concerning that. It is profiling, but it is not for the purpose of persecuting a certain people; it is for the purpose of protecting people, by screening a group with which many terrorists share traits.

This,in principle, is congruent with that of screening terrorists. Although those wearing gang-promoting apparel are not all violent, and not all crimes are created by those wearing gang-promoting apparel, by regulating the majority group with which many specific types of crimes are associated, it suppresses the popular promotion of Gangsterism- on a cultural front, while police also deal with crimes as usual. It is a two-pronged approach. From the teenager to the middle-aged gangster; don't allow the ideal to be popularized, and more harshly punish those who harm others after the fact. With such an approach, perhaps we may see positive results.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Hadley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Holyoke man given 18 months in jail after 2016 ... Dec 4 Ozzie King Of Zyl... 10
News Vt. man charged with assaulting pregnant Tapest... Nov 30 Steffanie 6
News a oeLuckya lottery terminal spreading luck acro... Nov 28 Franklin 2
News Leroy Cortes of Greenfield dead, Luis Rivera of... (Sep '10) Nov 28 Bernhard Goetz 25
News Granby H.S. was on lock-down after student pull... Nov 28 Paul Kersey 1
News After Pittsfield man fatally overdosed, his dru... Nov 26 DCF are MONSTERS 5
News A sad ending to the search for a missing man (Apr '08) Nov 24 Alexandra Mello 15

South Hadley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Hadley Mortgages