Update: South Hadley Man Arrested on ...

Update: South Hadley Man Arrested on Drug Charges Released on Bail

There are 25 comments on the WWLP Massachusetts story from Mar 14, 2008, titled Update: South Hadley Man Arrested on Drug Charges Released on Bail. In it, WWLP Massachusetts reports that:

The man accused of running a South Hadley marijuana growing program is out on bail on $1,000. Stephen Opalenik was arraigned Friday morning in Eastern Hampshire District Court.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WWLP Massachusetts.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
DrGreenThumb420

New London, CT

#1 Mar 14, 2008
weed should be legal its just a plant that grows and if you so happen to light it on fire there may be some effects like hungry happy sleepy unlike drinking which kills millons of americans ever day dam you government should really consider your thinking if weed is legal i would be willing to put my life on it that car crashes would go down in maybe like 2 years maybe you should stop being hard headed and try legelize it for 2 years and see what happens
Cee

AOL

#2 Mar 14, 2008
SO why no picture of this guy?? Everyother drug dealer that gets arrested they post a pic of...Hmm interesting. Thoughts???
Lucy

Springfield, MA

#3 Mar 14, 2008
I happen to agree it is a plant but when it gets sold it gets into the hands of young children and they begin to abuse it. That is not right.
Susan Bach Miller

Baltimore, MD

#4 Mar 15, 2008
...yes, where is the picture? Everyone in Shadley
knows who Steve is. What would a picture accomplish? My question is the use of the phrase "stumbled upon". Oh really? Give me a break.
Bach Lane in the news. Whoda thought.
WTuknow

Springfield, MA

#5 Mar 15, 2008
Why a picture? Are you afraid the big, bad, weed dealer will walk down your street and you won't reecognize him? Or do you think because you are from SH that you deserve special treatment? What other drug dealer gets their pic in the paper Cee? They seldom if ever put drug dealers pics up.
To Dr greenthumb: You've smoked too much for too long and your breain is marinated. The real issue with weed is it supports organized crime, gangs, mafia, etc. The only exception is that which is grown by guys like Steve, or for PC.
Testing legalization for a year or two is like giving free samples of heroin for a week, then saying "no more, sorry". The biggest problem is we'd then have both drunk drivers and stoned drivers. I readily admit that pot smokers are generally a lot better off, but that's not always the case.
Dean

Wilbraham, MA

#6 Mar 15, 2008
DrGreenThumb420 wrote:
weed should be legal its just a plant that grows and if you so happen to light it on fire there may be some effects like hungry happy sleepy unlike drinking which kills millons of americans ever day dam you government should really consider your thinking if weed is legal i would be willing to put my life on it that car crashes would go down in maybe like 2 years maybe you should stop being hard headed and try legelize it for 2 years and see what happens
Research who was behind the move to criminalize hemp in the 1930s and how they stood to gain from it's outlaw status.
Dean

Wilbraham, MA

#7 Mar 15, 2008
Cee wrote:
SO why no picture of this guy?? Everyother drug dealer that gets arrested they post a pic of...Hmm interesting. Thoughts???
Posting the name, address, age and photo of arrestees does not help the trial process. It only serves to poison the jury and to make the good people feel worse about their city. This is the bulk of the "news" on the television that I see. Never anything positive about the city citizens.
WTuknow

Springfield, MA

#10 Mar 16, 2008
Boxcar wrote:
Here is your picture. For those who know him this is now surprise. Been doing this for 20 years at least. Him and his wife never worked a day in the last 20 years. They have a nice home and they own the nextdoor property. That is where they found the plants.
His kid was arrested for dealing and was put into rehab at 16.
A real winner.
http://www.cbs3springfield.com/news/local/166...
Sorry Boxcar, but you are the "real winner" here. To me you sound jealous the guy doesn't have to work. Too bad you don't know the reason they don't work, because if you did you'd feel like a bigger jerk than you sound like now. As for his son, kids DO NOT go into rehab for marijuana, so your whole post is full of lies, half truths, and innuendos. I am 50, and went to school about the same time as Chris and Stephan Oplanik, and I knew both. None were vicious drug dealing monsters, they were just normal kids, and grew into normal adults. The fact he grows and sells pot does not make them monsters, or bad people.
As for the warrant, lets hope his lawyer looks hard at that, because the whole thing was a huge lie to get into his house to look for pot. That warrant was illegal. I hope he gets off free.
WTuknow

Springfield, MA

#11 Mar 16, 2008
WTuknow wrote:
<quoted text>
None were vicious drug dealing monsters, they were just normal kids, and grew into normal adults. The fact he grows and sells pot does not make them monsters, or bad people.
Just to clarify, if anything they took business away from organized crime. Now it's likely their former customers will now go to other sources such as organized crime to purchase their weed. I don't think that was the intention.
Boxcar

Agawam, MA

#12 Mar 16, 2008
Fight to change the law. If you want to smoke pot fine. If you want to grow pot fine. Lobby congress and get it changed.
As it stands right now it is illegal.
Like I said it was no suprise to all of us who live in the area.
Like no real suprise when they found pot plants growing in the wetlands. A real "shocker"......JEEZ who could have planted them?
A big joke on the street that this guy has been in the drug trade for years and the cops knew.....trust me they knew.
Good enough for them.
He gets whatever the court sends his way.
I have no pity for drug dealers.....NONE. I have lost a family memeber to addiction.
Me jealous? Not a chance. Maybe he will be jealous when justice is served.
WTuknow

Springfield, MA

#13 Mar 16, 2008
Boxcar wrote:
Fight to change the law. If you want to smoke pot fine. If you want to grow pot fine. Lobby congress and get it changed.
As it stands right now it is illegal.
Like I said it was no suprise to all of us who live in the area.
Like no real suprise when they found pot plants growing in the wetlands. A real "shocker"......JEEZ who could have planted them?
A big joke on the street that this guy has been in the drug trade for years and the cops knew.....trust me they knew.
Good enough for them.
He gets whatever the court sends his way.
I have no pity for drug dealers.....NONE. I have lost a family memeber to addiction.
Me jealous? Not a chance. Maybe he will be jealous when justice is served.
Ok, so now Stephan is the only guy in SH who grows pot, and at some point his relatively safe INDOOR op seemed like not enough, so he decided to plant outside where it will almost certainly be found? Yeah, a genius you aren't.
You are from Holyoke, but know all about SH business. You a holyoker lecturing a SH person about drugs? BAHAHAHAHAHA! Hellooooo kettle!
Your loss of a loved one has obviously tainted your judgement.
dominic pelletier

Amherst, NH

#14 Mar 16, 2008
i know the son of steven very well and i have to say i disagree w all this they are very good people pot should be legal and this man is nowhere from a monster he is a genius and i support him and his family all the way..yo d keep ur head up buddy it will all work out
dominic pelletier

Amherst, NH

#15 Mar 16, 2008
and who ever boxcar is needs to shutup u dont know who u are talking about like i said they are great people they wouldnt hurt a hair on anybody and weed doesnt not kill people people get into other drugs themselves if weed is anything it is a cure but thats not the point i just dont like how the news and u people who think u can critize this man for being a monster u shouldnt judge people u dont know people make mistakes but it doesnt make them a bad person
Peter

Wilbraham, MA

#16 Mar 18, 2008
dominic pelletier wrote:
and who ever boxcar is needs to shutup u dont know who u are talking about like i said they are great people they wouldnt hurt a hair on anybody and weed doesnt not kill people people get into other drugs themselves if weed is anything it is a cure but thats not the point i just dont like how the news and u people who think u can critize this man for being a monster u shouldnt judge people u dont know people make mistakes but it doesnt make them a bad person
Hemp is no big deal. Even the Founding Fathers smoked hemp and used it for fuel, clothing, strong rope, food and many other uses. Did you know they made ethanol from hemp in the 1700s?
Hemp is one of the best superfoods known to man. Full of nutrients and nothing to make you fat or sick. These varieties do not contain T.H.C. The chemical lobby in the 1930s worked in overdrive to ban it because their industry was based on petroleum and they desired to corner the market. Google what Dow Chemical and DuPont did to this country. Putting someone in jail for something that grows naturally is ridiculous anyway because it is an everlasting "war" that can never be won.(Imagine a war on Bees. Why, they kill thousands every year!) Instead, they bust your zit faced kid for using it because they've banned it, now ship it in and throw your kid in their private prison to do manual labor and float penal bonds on him on the open market. The elite make money off you being in jail, especially for victimless crimes like hemp.
J Hughed

Northampton, MA

#17 Mar 19, 2008
marijuana is also low priority in all of California, and under one ounce in Denver is legal to possess especially in your car. Federally it is still regulated, but local jurisdiction cant arrest you for it.
I also heard they are going to put it on the ballot this year to make under an ounce in Massachusetts a civil crime, so they can only fine you for it.

VOTE FOR IT!!!
upinsmoke

Easthampton, MA

#18 Mar 27, 2008
who else got busted, just steve?
wileywalt

AOL

#19 May 19, 2008
Too bad, he's a good guy
bigdaddyevil

Tallinn, Estonia

#20 May 20, 2008
You have gangs shooting nup the streets in various towns and cities in western mass. and other real crimes going on. yet tax payers money is still waisted on some guy who grows some weed.
and please do vote yes on the bill.

people like boxcar will bash weed while holding a can of beer and smoking a cigarette. Knowing that those two drugs kill more people a year than weed has in the history of man.

the state should grow it, package it, sell it and reep the benifits from its sales to places the money is needed.

People need to get off their high horse about weed and worry about real problems.
Justin

United States

#21 May 20, 2008
You guys are greatly over exaggerating the gravity, or lack there of, of this situation..Organized crime!? Give me a freaking break guys..We are talking about weed..MARIJUANA! You are speaking as though weed is in the same category as Heroin, coke, and oxycontin..THOSE are what drug rings, and organized crime make their money. They are HIGHLY addictive drugs, and once you are hooked, you'll come back for more. Not because you want to, because you physically HAVE to. Unlike marijuana, which is proven to NOT be have any strong physically addictive properties. It is only mentally addictive..Most people smoke weed because they want to, NOT because they need to. I am 21 years old, I am a 4 year college graduate, and I own two business'..I made $120,000 last year. I've smoked weed on and off since I was a freshman in high school. I can tell you 100% from experience that it is not this evil drug all of you are making it out to be. On another note: All of you idiots that are saying that this guy is giving power to organized crime, and legalization would be the end of all ends. You obviously have NO idea how the drug trade, or even our own economy works. Legalizing weed would not only give a MUCH needed boost to our economy, but it would absolutely CRIPPLE the drug trade! There wouldn't be ANY one selling weed, if you could buy it at a pharmacy, or a liquor store. The government could heavily tax it, and make a killing. As far as people driving while they are high goes..Have you EVER heard of someone dying from intoxication of marijuana while driving!? I don't think so. You make it a 21 and up type deal, just like drinking..And I bet you ANYTHING that alcohol related deaths go down by leaps and bounds..Just one mans opinion here..But I have to say that some of you neurotic idiots need to get with the program or shut your mouths about things you don't know. And my heart goes out to this guy and his family..I hope he walks..No need to ruin someone's life over growing some grass. " Instead of a war on poverty, they got a war on drugs, so the police can bother me." -2Pac Think about those words..They make a hell of a lot of sense..
get over it

Easthampton, MA

#22 Jun 9, 2008
Burn him! Hes a witch!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Hadley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News MGM Springfield wona t face financial penalty f... Sep 15 Rhonda Latney 1
News It didn't take long for the booing of Roger Goo... Sep 8 Were pharts 2
News Hinds Pushing For Criminal Justice Reform, Asks... Sep 5 Cops are Sociopaths 21
News Pittsfield cop's suit against city claiming dis... Sep 3 Cops are Sociopaths 36
Dan Kirouac live music at Dockside/Brunelle's Aug '17 New England Music... 1
News Pittsfield man found dead at scene of reported ... Aug '17 Joe Peski 36
Dan Kirouac live at the Dockside Restaurant in ... Jul '17 Northeast Music S... 1

South Hadley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Hadley Mortgages