Let's be sensible about anti-bullying...

Let's be sensible about anti-bullying law

There are 11 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Sep 17, 2010, titled Let's be sensible about anti-bullying law. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

Gov. Deval Patrick, the state Legislature and law-enforcement officials acted promptly to develop and approve an anti-bullying law for public schools following news of the tragic suicide of South Hadley freshman Phoebe Prince.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

Chelmsford Mom

Salem, NH

#1 Sep 17, 2010
Very sensible letter. I agree completely.
Common sense

Sharon, MA

#2 Sep 17, 2010
It is about time adults became the ruling factor in society. When the children rule chaos is rampant.

Since: May 09

Lowell, MA

#3 Sep 17, 2010
Legislation like this only serves the whiners and will end up hurting good kids. This legislation will not succeed in protecting a single victim of a case of real bullying. Nor will it protect someone who may perceive themselves to be a victim and do something drastic to themselves or who they perceive the tormentors.

We already have stalking laws including on-line. We already have battery laws. We already have statutory rape laws. We didn't need yet another law that will only serve to hurt good kids. We just need parents, teachers and administrators to be diligent in doing what they're supposed to be doing.

The only people who will make out in this legislation are the politicians who created the bill and supported the bill. They're will be a nice flyer going out during the next election that will say.. "look I protected your children".
MilitiaMaster

Lawrence, MA

#4 Sep 17, 2010
In the old days, a disagreement was handled in the back of the school - one kid would have a bloody nose and it would usually be followed up with a handshake.

Now, those same 2 kids would end up in jail or expelled or both.

Pathetic that we've become a country of tattle-tale cowards
Lowell Man

Lowell, MA

#5 Sep 17, 2010
The Pussification of America
Chillary Rodham Clinton

Tyngsboro, MA

#6 Sep 17, 2010
I for one would never tolerate bullying. Now stop your whining or kick your dumb arse!
Seriously

Lawrence, MA

#7 Sep 19, 2010
MilitiaMaster wrote:
In the old days, a disagreement was handled in the back of the school - one kid would have a bloody nose and it would usually be followed up with a handshake.
The problem is that in the old days Facebook, Myspace, texting, etc. didn't exist. Online bullying is pervasive and kids are immersed in this technology. You used to be able to at least go home and leave the bullies at school - now they virtually come home with you by posting cruel things on the Internet for anyone to see. It's one thing to have someone call you names in a small audience, and a totally different thing to have it happen in a permanent form that anyone can access . If we really want to curb the bullying, we need to teach kids about proper use of these technologies... personally, I think parents should be steeping up and limiting the use of technology. There's something wrong about kids being able to send each other text messages at all hours of the day - they have no downtime, and no realization of their need of downtime.

Sadly, duking it out in the schoolyard won't work anymore... and it is lame that kids can end up in jail... I think that parents need to be held more responsible for their children's behavior.
teacher

Holly, MI

#8 Sep 19, 2010
LowellContrarian wrote:
Legislation like this only serves the whiners and will end up hurting good kids. This legislation will not succeed in protecting a single victim of a case of real bullying. Nor will it protect someone who may perceive themselves to be a victim and do something drastic to themselves or who they perceive the tormentors.
We already have stalking laws including on-line. We already have battery laws. We already have statutory rape laws. We didn't need yet another law that will only serve to hurt good kids. We just need parents, teachers and administrators to be diligent in doing what they're supposed to be doing.
The only people who will make out in this legislation are the politicians who created the bill and supported the bill. They're will be a nice flyer going out during the next election that will say.. "look I protected your children".
The problem is parents are not disciplining their children. Too many have the "not my child" syndrome. Teachers are left without any recourse and they do it over and over again. Is it good kids being brats, sure sometimes. But more often than not, it is extremelly cruel and abusive. These kids know we cannot do anything. In fact they will say it right to our face.

If nothing else, this will create documentation and will give us recourse against the real troublemakers. It can't always be someone elses fault.

When we were kids, if someone complained to our parents, you got it for being a brat and got it again for the embarassment you caused your parents.

“what does it all mean?”

Since: Apr 09

somewhere in Bavaria

#9 Sep 19, 2010
MilitiaMaster wrote:
In reading the discussions concerning the death of Phoebe Prince, I am struck by the tendency of some to equate the implementation of anti-bullying legislation with "liberal" policies. My views are highly conservative, and I see nothing cowardly about supporting such legislation (provided it is properly designed). One problem is that the "old days" described here are indeed just a memory. I remember the 1950s when there was a code of conduct that even the toughest bully adhered to, and fights were conducted according to rules of chivalry. Fights were one on one, and the loser was allowed to surrender peacefully with no further damage. Today the bully is likely to be armed with weapons and he does not fight by Queensbury rules. Also the bully is less likely to be some social misfit. He (or she) is probably one of the crowd of popular kids, and he (or she) arrives with a whole entourage of supporters. Also, as the previous blogger noted, today's bullies can avail themselves of all the advances of modern technology to further torment their target. These changes are indicative of a decline of moral values, that we can trace back at least as far as the Warren Court of the 1950s and beyond. Leftist policies have been responsible for the destruction of the traditional standards to the point that today's young people are often unaware that such standards exist. Today they are taught that there is no spiritual reality, that the only value worth pursuing is self-indulgence through sex and violence. Leftists have been very effective at taking over the education system, the media, the courts, the bureaucracies, and even the legislative bodies, causing the erosion of the traditional values, while, for decades, conservatives have made only feeble attempts to oppose these tendencies. Now people are waking up to the danger, and fighting back. But the fight must be pursued with the proper methods. Assuming the stance of the rugged individualist can be gratifying, but it does not stop the Leftist assault on our values and our liberties. Those who support anti-bullying legislation are not advocating a nanny state. They are advocating using the powers of government to preserve the values of the old days, but also recognizing how much we have lost, and how much we have to do to oppose the Leftist program of change. The issues are complicated, and involve an understanding of the changes in the social sciences over the last few hundred years that have brought us to this point. When we read of a child being doused with lighter fluid and set on fire by bullies, or another being pummeled with brass knuckles and sustaining brain damage (these stories have been in the news) we see the pernicious effects of social philosophies derived from Rousseau and Marx, and all their modern progeny, who have taught our young people to despise the old values of compassion and decency. Retreating into the world of Daniel Boone is not the answer. We have to learn how to fight back.

Since: May 09

Lowell, MA

#10 Sep 22, 2010
teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is parents are not disciplining their children. Too many have the "not my child" syndrome. Teachers are left without any recourse and they do it over and over again. Is it good kids being brats, sure sometimes. But more often than not, it is extremelly cruel and abusive. These kids know we cannot do anything. In fact they will say it right to our face.
If nothing else, this will create documentation and will give us recourse against the real troublemakers. It can't always be someone elses fault.
When we were kids, if someone complained to our parents, you got it for being a brat and got it again for the embarassment you caused your parents.
Sorry but isn't the legislation being sold to us a a way to "protect the children" not as a "cover your arse" for teachers and administrators? If you want documentation and a paper trail send an e-mail. You think a kid is being bullied send an e-mail to the pricipal. Send an e-mail to the kids parents. Send an e-mail to school administrators. You suspect abuse call the police. There are already laws that protect children that can be effective if people followed common sense.

I don't need government intervention because other parents don't discipline theirs.

I was at one of my sons baseball games this summer. A boy who's a little "different" was doing something on the bench the boys were already told to stop doing by the coach. One of the other boys reminded him of this. The boy shouted back with a "leave me alone" and continued doing what he was supposed to be not doing but now doing it more obvious and got the attention of even more of the boys. Now he's a distraction and a few of the boys told him to start. Now he's screaming to him mom that he doesn't want to play baseball because everyone picks on him. This is type of kid that is going to get good kids in trouble because of this stupid, knee jerk legislation.

This law will not protect 1 REAL victim of bullying over the laws that were already in place but will be used to prosecute situations like I described above because teachers, police and prosecutors will have no choice. This law will ruin more good kids lives than it will to prosecute real bullies.
Columbine101

Attleboro, MA

#11 Sep 25, 2010
Bullies are like human feces. They emerge from the orifice of family character and are welcomed with open arms in the cesspool of community character.

Columbine was no mystery.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Hadley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Federal judge rules lawsuit over Pittsfield Pol... 3 hr Cops are Degenerates 20
News 'The church is people': Rev. Peter Gregory prou... Mon DSS DCF CPS are M... 6
News Refugees must wait for safe harbor Apr 23 Solons 2
News Banner moment: Chicago Cubs finally raise champ... Apr 23 Banner Phart 4
News Assault charges piling up Apr 16 Cops Luv Kids 1
News Hampden County Hall of Justice left off list of... Apr 14 Cops are Degenerates 4
News New Tapestry's Syringe Access Program Holding O... Apr 14 Ozzie King Of Zyl... 23

South Hadley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Hadley Mortgages