W. Mass. board approves anti-bullying policy

The school committee in the western Massachusetts community where a high school freshman hanged herself allegedly after being bullied by classmates has approved an anti-bullying policy. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
SAL

Black Mountain, NC

#1 Jul 1, 2010
I have never heard anything like this before.

What is happening to our children?

God help us.
TheTruth

Clifton Park, NY

#2 Jul 1, 2010
The question should be what is going on with parents? Also what is goign on with teachers?
It's a bad day when the state has to step in and be the parent and also remind teachers how to do their job.
little john

Albany, NY

#3 Jul 1, 2010
i think it's awful that someone has to die in order for something to be done. My heart goes out to the parents of this child. It's unbelievable how cruel children and adults can be to one another.
Chris

Longmeadow, MA

#4 Jul 1, 2010
little john wrote:
i think it's awful that someone has to die in order for something to be done. My heart goes out to the parents of this child. It's unbelievable how cruel children and adults can be to one another.
The parents of the girl should be blamed just as much as the kids who bullied her; if they'd been more involved in her life, or had just plain not raised her to be such a sensitive kid, she woulda got through it just fine. Parents who over-protect and oversensitize their kids make me absolutely sick, and should have their kids taken away ASAP.
Outraged

United States

#5 Jul 1, 2010
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
The parents of the girl should be blamed just as much as the kids who bullied her; if they'd been more involved in her life, or had just plain not raised her to be such a sensitive kid, she woulda got through it just fine. Parents who over-protect and oversensitize their kids make me absolutely sick, and should have their kids taken away ASAP.
Actually, it's people like you who make the rest of us sick. You were probably a bully in school too. I hope you don't have any kids but I can't imagine that you do, based on such an ignorant comment.
Another View

Albany, NY

#6 Jul 1, 2010
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
I have heard it all, now. BLAME THE VICTIM'S PARENTS. Such hogwash. I do not know these grieving parents, but perhaps they HAD to try to protect their daughter inasmuch as the school and the girl's classmates KNEW how badly she was bullied and did NOTHING! NOTHING! Can you honestly countenace that? Perhaps the child was "different" she came from another country and had different ways. Was that BAD? What about learning to accept diversity???
The school IS responsible for keeping ALL of their students SAFE. They have not done this, I know of NO SCHOOL that does this. I hope that this unfortunate, needless,tragedy will FINALLY make all schools finally step up to the plate and address the bullying situation. It has been escalating it IT MUST STOP. The schools must stop allowing the parents of bullies from intimidating them. These parents may, or may not, also, be bullies. However, they, too, must acknowledge that their child cannot torment others, or they will find that their sons or daughters will, one day, be finally held accountable in a court of law, and do some serious jail time. Make schools be accountable, finally and make the parents of the bullies be accountable, too.
Adam Smith

AOL

#8 Jul 1, 2010
Here's my anti-bullying policy. If I find out my kid is a bully, I kick his butt. If I find out my kid is being bullied, I find out by who and talk to their parent or guardian. If it stops, problem solved. If not, I kick the parent or guardian's butt.
Relegated

Lenox, MA

#9 Jul 1, 2010
TheTruth wrote:
The question should be what is going on with parents? Also what is goign on with teachers? It's a bad day when the state has to step in and be the parent and also remind teachers how to do their job.
It's a bad day WHENEVER the state has to step in. We continue to look to "them" (whoever they are) to solve societal problems, when "they" are often its root cause.

Orwell was right.
MMEMBA

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#10 Jul 1, 2010
Relegated wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a bad day WHENEVER the state has to step in. We continue to look to "them" (whoever they are) to solve societal problems, when "they" are often its root cause.
Orwell was right.
Yes, he was, and that reality becomes stronger with each passing year!
liberalbonehead

Franklin, MA

#11 Jul 1, 2010
bullying this – anti bullying that…
Do you all realize what a sissified, flatulent soccer mom culture you’re creating?
Men; grow up!
Adam Smith

AOL

#12 Jul 1, 2010
liberalbonehead wrote:
bullying this – anti bullying that…
Do you all realize what a sissified, flatulent soccer mom culture you’re creating?
Men; grow up!
No reason to be dissing soccer.
Geeze Louise

United States

#13 Jul 1, 2010
Adam Smith wrote:
Here's my anti-bullying policy. If I find out my kid is a bully, I kick his butt. If I find out my kid is being bullied, I find out by who and talk to their parent or guardian. If it stops, problem solved. If not, I kick the parent or guardian's butt.
I like it. Chris makes sense, too, although it could have been said a little different. However, we do have to toughen up. It's embarrassing.
Geeze Louise

United States

#14 Jul 1, 2010
Actually while most of these "jamokes" are whining they should blame the schools for every societal problem. Just another way of alleviating themselves of their responsibilities.

Since: Jan 09

Albany, NY

#15 Jul 1, 2010
Phoebe Prince didn't do anything based on allegation. She hanged herself after being unmercifully harassed and bullied by her schoolmates in South Hadley. The superintendent of Schools, Mr Sayer, should resign his position as he was notified at least three times of the bullying and did NOTHING to prevent it from continuing. Shameful behavior by both students and administration in South Hadley.
Emerald

Waldorf, MD

#16 Jul 1, 2010
JIMMY G PITTSFIELD MA wrote:
Phoebe Prince didn't do anything based on allegation. She hanged herself after being unmercifully harassed and bullied by her schoolmates in South Hadley. The superintendent of Schools, Mr Sayer, should resign his position as he was notified at least three times of the bullying and did NOTHING to prevent it from continuing. Shameful behavior by both students and administration in South Hadley.
Totally agree with you Jimmy.
Another View

Albany, NY

#17 Jul 2, 2010
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually jackass, I was BULLIED when I was a kid. Didn't enjoy it much, but my parents taught me how to be strong and stand up to bullies, and guess what? I never tried to kill myself, and I'm a better person for it. So apparently my parents deserved to have their kid live to see adulthood! Such a shame for a kid to have to suffer because her parents were pussies!
Good for you, but did you have to "stand up" to a gang of bullies? Were you a young girl from another country, with different cultural habits that "annoyed" the "in crowd?" Were you a gay young person dispised because he/she was what she/he was? Were you poor or didn't dress as the "crowd" thought was acceptable? Were you young for your years? There are any number of scenarios that make a child "different" and the target for a group of other young people with low self esteem and feel strong by bullying a child who is different. We, in adulthood, will meet others who are "different" and as adults we should have LEARNED as young people to accept the differences of others.
I am disappointed but not surprised at your attitude. Some oppressed eventually become the oppressors. Children who are victims of abuse or witness abuse often become abusers. Unless some of these victims of abuse and bullying get the help that they need, they DO become hardened to the plight of others and often do become the bullies and abusers of others. Sad but true.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#18 Jul 5, 2010
JIMMY G PITTSFIELD MA wrote:
Jimmy you are right. The people involved should face adult charges, as The prosecution could request. The not guilty pleads are an insult. I advise everyone to NEVER VOTE, for someone out of our court system. I am amazed they tie their shoes.
liberalbonehead

Franklin, MA

#19 Jul 5, 2010
There are many who simply will not be happy until ever element of our culture passes the self centered, puffball, cellulite, flatulent soccer mom gas test. Kids and their fat puffball moms must be allowed everywhere now and the environment must pass their smell test or the wrath of the left will descend on the uncooperative. Little babies, little minds – run the show. Anti bulling crybabies is another example. Your intolerance of anything that isn’t homogenized to your standards is a form of tyranny itself.

“Stop Global Whining”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#20 Jul 14, 2010
I'm teaching my kid how to punch. Hard. And accurately. At the same time I am teaching my kid to never punch anyone.... If you don't get that and think I am contradicting myself, you are part of the problem. Part of the wussification of our kids nowadays.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#21 Jul 14, 2010
Scoff wrote:
I'm teaching my kid how to punch. Hard. And accurately. At the same time I am teaching my kid to never punch anyone.... If you don't get that and think I am contradicting myself, you are part of the problem. Part of the wussification of our kids nowadays.
I think the rate of contemporary juevenile detention would completly disagree with your statement. Martial arts are good if tught with their disipline. In todays society laying down ad ass kicking could get your kid a bullet. You have to teach street wise over all else.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Hadley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) 4 hr John 1,168
Church boots AA group over gay weddings 13 hr DNF 35
'Horned' man guilty in triple slaying Mon Hamilton Burger Esq 12
I Team: undercover video of puppy mill (Nov '08) Sun Tom Coleman 19
Review: Gaudinos Towing And Auto Repair Sep 26 tekeniohkwarli 1
PD: Phoenix girl, 12, reportedly kidnapped on w... Sep 25 OMG 1
Obama accepts Nobel Peace Prize, says war somet... (Dec '09) Sep 25 Swedenforever 18

South Hadley Jobs

South Hadley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

South Hadley News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in South Hadley

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]