Bullying expert: W. Mass. school didn...

Bullying expert: W. Mass. school didna t use advice

There are 15 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from Mar 30, 2010, titled Bullying expert: W. Mass. school didna t use advice. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

An anti-bullying consultant says school officials in western Massachusetts didn't follow all the advice she gave them months before a harassed freshman girl committed suicide.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

WAH

Middlefield, MA

#1 Mar 30, 2010
This is everybodys responsibilty to get involved before this happens. You can't tell me the teachers did not know anything about this, the kids involved in this should be taught better at home. You know what they say if you are a bully you will get bullied sooner or later. God don't like ugly.
Glens Falls, NY

#2 Mar 30, 2010
It happens everyday in every school in Berkshire County. if you think it doesnt then you are ignorant, it does and is happening everyday. I have 2 teenagers who are in school and believe me....bullying is alive and well in Berkshire County. The whole community needs to step up and take charge before another innocent child feels there is no reason to live!!!!! Please educate your children about bullying....it can happen to your children....dont wait until it is too late.
kim

Clifton Park, NY

#3 Mar 30, 2010
Why has it had to come to this before educators wake up? As a past school employee I had seen this for years, had reported for years this behavior onto deaf ears!! The local districts better WAKE UP, STEP UP, STAND UP TO THOSE PARENTS OF "NOT MY KIDS" and deal with the bullying here in our schools before it's too late and we are burying on of our own.
Andrew

Clockville, NY

#4 Mar 30, 2010
First of all, what these kids did was NOT bullying. Bullying is shutting someone in a locker between classes, or pantsing them in the hallway. It's not fun, but hardly a cause for state or federal legislation. What happened to this poor girl, though, goes WAY beyond bullying; I have no idea what the school officials were doing instead of helping prevent this from happening, but I hope someone changes their mind about charging them in this case, and I hope the prosecutors throw the book HARD at the little ***kers that are responsible for this girl's treatment.
Berkshire Teacher

Cummington, MA

#5 Mar 30, 2010
Just to clarify from a teacher's perspective. We are told to report anything like bullying to our principal and administration takes it from there. That said, I do believe that even though 2 teachers were aware and had told administration, there is still the issue of their moral responsibility in this case. Our students are always telling on bullies because we encourage open dialogue about the subject with them. It is part of the school culture to out bullies. If a students has no friends and is new to the system she may well fall through the cracks if school staff is not on the lookout or encourages open dialogue on difficult subjects. Of course this is all in a culture of "teach to the test".
svb

Albany, NY

#6 Mar 30, 2010
Karma wrote:
It happens everyday in every school in Berkshire County. if you think it doesnt then you are ignorant, it does and is happening everyday. I have 2 teenagers who are in school and believe me....bullying is alive and well in Berkshire County. The whole community needs to step up and take charge before another innocent child feels there is no reason to live!!!!! Please educate your children about bullying....it can happen to your children....dont wait until it is too late.
I agreee & I am not waiting for something horrible to happen to my child. I have gone to school, contacted school officials, etc & all they want to do is "counsel" my child who is the one being bullied & harassed. I will take this matter as far as I have to to get this school to do what they have a moral obligation to do.
Moe Ron

Albany, NY

#8 Mar 30, 2010
hope they pay!!!!!
Mom of 3

Otis, MA

#9 Mar 31, 2010
I really would like to know WHY the teachers who knew about this are not being held as responsible as the students. They are just as guilty and just as much to blame, if not more so! They are the adults, the ones we tell our kids will PROTECT them. These people turned their backs on this poor girl. Sickening and unforgivable! May Phoebe rest in peace.
Andrew

Clockville, NY

#10 Mar 31, 2010
svb wrote:
<quoted text>
I agreee & I am not waiting for something horrible to happen to my child. I have gone to school, contacted school officials, etc & all they want to do is "counsel" my child who is the one being bullied & harassed. I will take this matter as far as I have to to get this school to do what they have a moral obligation to do.
Here's a wild idea: Why not teach your child to stand up for him/herself? I'mnot advocating solving every problem with violence, but sometimes a fight is inevitable, and a kid who can defend themselves is less likely to be a continuing victim of schoolyard bullying. Both my kids know that, while they most certainly are NOT allowed to take a swing every time they feel like it, sometimes the best offense against being picked on is a good defense.
SaltShaker

Big Stone Gap, VA

#11 Mar 31, 2010
Mom of 3 wrote:
I really would like to know WHY the teachers who knew about this are not being held as responsible as the students. They are just as guilty and just as much to blame, if not more so! They are the adults, the ones we tell our kids will PROTECT them. These people turned their backs on this poor girl. Sickening and unforgivable! May Phoebe rest in peace.
Becasue the majority of the teachers are incompetent! These days, bubbleheaded 21 year old girls are given teaching degrees and most of them are dumb as stumps!!
Just Another Mom

Clockville, NY

#12 Mar 31, 2010
Ten years ago my then thirteen-year-old son was bullied on a daily basis. It happened in school, between classes, in the hallways and after school. It happened at local sporting events and in public locations. When I met with school officials they told me that there wasn’t anything they could do if they didn’t see it happening. They suggested that my son not use the restroom in school if that was a problem area. Not easy to do. They suggested that he stay with other students in the hallway so that they bully would leave him alone. That didn’t matter. They suggested that I speak with the mother of said bully. Her response was,“boys will be boys. Let them work it out.”
The incident came to a head one day while my son was walking home after school. The bully, along with several other friends, cornered my son on a pathway leading to our neighborhood. He knocked my son to the ground and the other boys held him down while the bully proceeded to punch, kick, and spit on my son, calling him names the whole while. Some older kids happened along and my son was able to escape. Running home he locked himself in the house, where the bully and his group followed and proceeded to throw rocks at our house, screaming obscenities and racial taunts at my son.
As I called the police, my son begged me to just leave it alone. He told me it would only get worse if I did that. He was right. I did call the police. I did file a criminal complaint against the bully. He was “spoken to.” They encouraged the boys to work it out on their own. My son was tortured for two years because he was unable to defend himself against a boy who was six inches taller and fifty pounds heavier. My son was labeled a freak, a wimp and a rat. The bully turned his attention to another child after two years and my son breathed a sigh of relief, but knew all too well what would now happen to the new target.
Bullying is serious. If your child is a victim, believe them, support them and never stop advocating for the. If your child is the bully, realize this is not and issue of “boys will be boys.” This is serious. It’s criminal. And it can be deadly.
Berkshire Mom

Queensbury, NY

#13 Sep 25, 2010
It is a shame, even now, with all the new anti-bullying laws coming into place, it continues! It is beyond disgusting what happened to this poor girl.
As a Mom who has a child that still suffers emotional melt-downs from incessant bullying that took place at a Berkshire County elementary school, I can relate. Although I feel blessed I was able to get my child out before something of this magnitude happened.
After a year of pleading with them to stop it, even after a physical assault and sexual harassment, they did not do anything about it. In the end we were bullied right out of that school! With no apologies or compensation of any kind.
Sadly, i believe these new laws will do little to change. Teachers do not want to do the paperwork and possibly have to talk to parent and counselors, as that would be time that they may not get paid for, and Principles do not want to follow up if teachers do report b/c it can make their school look in a bad light!

Since: Jan 09

Queensbury, NY

#14 Sep 25, 2010
Sluth Hadley School superintendent Gus Sayer had knowledge of Phoebe being bullied and did nothing to stop it. He was told more than once of the recurring problems she was having with certain students at the school and STILL DID NOTHING. Gus Sayer should lose his job because of this, but NOTHING IS HAPPENING. When will something be done to HIM? The students are being prosecuted, the teachers, rightfully, are being punished, but when will Gus Sayer stand up and take responsibility for this tragedy that happened under his watch?
hard dude

Northville, NY

#15 Sep 25, 2010
If you can't take it, get out of town clown. Or give your kid a weapon.
hard dude

Holyoke, MA

#16 Sep 25, 2010
nothing like a name thief to come up with a reasonable solution.

his kid probably needs a weapon for protection at home. a belt with a lock wouldn't hurt either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Hadley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Assault charges piling up Apr 16 Cops Luv Kids 1
News Federal judge rules lawsuit over Pittsfield Pol... Apr 16 Cops Luv Kids 14
News Hampden County Hall of Justice left off list of... Apr 14 Cops are Degenerates 4
News New Tapestry's Syringe Access Program Holding O... Apr 14 Ozzie King Of Zyl... 23
News Banner moment: Chicago Cubs finally raise champ... Apr 11 BravePhart 2
Cigs for trade Apr 6 Anonymous 1
News Mark Tully: At ceiling, Pittsfield confronts re... Mar 28 Online commentator 18

South Hadley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Hadley Mortgages