Many people in CT, have little regard...

Many people in CT, have little regard for the handicapped here!

Posted in the South Glastonbury Forum

Support the ADA

United States

#1 Sep 11, 2011
We see this quite a bit. On a weekly basis I would say. People are constantly violating the rights of the disabled & handicapped citizens in our area.
What is the problem with Connecticut residents, they don't understand that the ADA, The American Disabilities Act is a Federal, not just a local law?
I see drivers trying to force the handicapped to walk at breakneck speeds just to cross a pedestrian crosswalk. Speaking of Pedestrian crosswalks, why do the crosswalk signs only allow you about TEN seconds to safely cross a street?
Even a normal healthy person is going to have a hard time doing that.
I see so many people putting grocery cards right in the middle of a handicapped parking spot or right next to where a handicapped person would have to park their car! That's so rude.
The other day, we went to a local post office, and this young woman was parking her big late model SUV in a handicapped parking spot, even though the whole street had open spots available to park her car at.
She was carrying a large package, one that a handicapped person probably wouldn't be able to carry in the first place! I noticed there was no handicapped sign on her license plate nor a handicapped sign hanging from her windshield.
When we pointed out that she was parking in a handicapped spot, she just said, "oh, I am just going to run into the post office and get this mailed", like she thought she had a "right" to park in the handicapped spot!
A woman noticed it too, and said we should contact the DMV about the incident. but by the time, we got a pen and took down her License plate, she would have been long tone!
When we walked into the post office, the young woman had already left, but the woman who also saw her parking in the handicapped spot, smiled, & made this little supposedly "silly" comment. "Oh, I saw the girl who parked in the handicapped spot, and patted her butt with my manilla envelope here, and told her that she was a "bad little girl!" like it was "humorous to her that someone perfectly healthy thought it was "OKAY" to block a handicapped parking spot. And this is the ONLY handicapped spot that the post office offers in their whole parking lot!
It's bad enough that the disabled people have to wait TWO long years to even qualify for disability benefits, if they even qualify at all.
And it's bad enough that people won't even think to hire many disabled people in the first place.
For pete's sake, people in Connecticut, STOP parking your cars in handicapped parking spots if you are perfectly health yourself & NOT disabled!
STOP harassing & violating the civil rights of Disabled People in general in this state!
It's supposedly called the constitution state, but violating the ADA and disabled peoples' rights is certainly not constitutional, it's illegal!
Support the ADA

United States

#2 Sep 11, 2011
typo here, meant to say, "I see so many people putting grocery CARTS right in the middle of a handicapped parking spot or right next to where a handicapped person would have to park their car! That's so rude.
Painful

Newport, TN

#3 Sep 27, 2011
Hi there,

They are like that in Cocke Co. TN too... I am disabled with a spinal injury and deal with horrible stuff on a daily basis whether I am out or at home.

I have put up with threats on my life and 24/7 harassment for over 10 1/2 years now. This is the worst place I have ever lived (existed). About 80% of it is school punks and the other 20% are adults, if you can call them that.
They are all related here so I can't get much help.

I am trying desperately to get out of here, but no money to work with makes that only a dream...

Not much I can do about it so I wait and hope...

Tnx from Ol Painful...
Support the ADA

East Hartford, CT

#4 Sep 28, 2011
well, I'm sorry to hear that Painful. Don't move up to Connecticut. They are certainly not kind to the disabled up here either Painful!`
They have Post Offices with handicapped doors that don't work. People who let mean, aggressive dogs run loose, especially in the towns of East Hartford, Manchester, or Glastonbury.
Now, if you end up needing a guide dog, and you are disabled, you sure don't want to live in an area where the animal control officers don't want to do anything at all, about large, aggressive dogs like Pitbulls, German Shepherds and Chow Chows running loose. It is a state law too, in the state of Connecticut that you are not supposed to let your dogs roam loose off your property.

Now this would be one thing, if you were out in the middle of nowhere, and out in a very rural area to let your dog run loose. But to do this in a very congested residental urban or suburban area is just putting the public and other dogs at risk!

What kind of threats are they giving you Painful? Do you mind speaking about them? I find that people we know who are disabled up in CT are constantly being threatened too!
That's just downright cruel imho.
It's pretty sad, isn't it, that a law that was passed back in 1990 still isn't enforced regularly to this day?

It's a Federal Law too, the ADA.
Confused

Glastonbury, CT

#5 Jul 21, 2012
So basically, ADA, your committing Libel against everyone in CT? Wow! You must feel like a big man. I'm thinking your compensating for something or your trying to be a troll on the forums. I'm going to go with the second. Stop trolling and get a life. Or perhaps that's why your divorced because your don't have one.
Sup

United States

#6 Sep 5, 2012
Confused:
I've lived in Connecticut my entire life, and the reason you are so offended because it's true. Connecticut people are the worst, and it's pretty shocking how polite people in other regions are.
Shocked

East Hartford, CT

#7 Sep 7, 2012
Oh my gosh Sup. I thought I was the only one who thought that CT people are so rude!
It's so true though... WHY are they like this?
It is like they were never taught any manners at all!
I am not saying all the people in CT are bad news, but there are just TOO many people who have NO regard for others, especially disabled people!
Did you ever notice if you go up to the Hartford State Capitol Bldg there is only ONE single handicapped parking space in the parking lot next to the Capitol building!
How constitutional is this stare anyway? Don't seem like it is to us!

Take care Sup
Tonymartin35

Hilliard, OH

#8 Dec 16, 2012
They are idiots and they put down other states about everthing from crime to restaurants. Please dummies, youre near nyc and tlyI’ve met more than one and only one I can say wasnt a rude gullible jacka$$. How do you put down every other state about crime when your supposedly high class entire state with its RICH ppl are doing all the killing. Martha moxley and the Kennedy boy. The lab tech from Yale at YALE, yeah, Floyd lavender and Michael Gaines , Diana Ross weed smoking – isn’t that illegal trying to sneak on plane. Yeah she’s from Detroit but a ct idiot took 2 min off my life when he told me he drove past her home, river valley killer , this horrible school shooting that shouldn’t have happened but sad ppl were so gullible they even said they moved to the city because it was Ohhhh so safe or so they thought . Anyway ill stop there, but I hope they wake up and realize they are no better than the rest of us or our cities. Oh and the people from ct are not attractive. Maybe it's the rudeness that makes them look like gremlins
CTNotRude

Glastonbury, CT

#9 Feb 28, 2014
It's Not Connecticut that's rude, its people that move from other rude states that make it so. Get off your high horse are go back to the dog cages your crawled out of, mongrels.
CT Native

United States

#10 Jun 25, 2014
If you don't like Connecticut then leave.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Glastonbury Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PZC meeting on firearms store Jul 21 Dogmother 2
News Man Charged In Slashing, Leading Police On Chase May '16 Sheri 1
News Tweedie And Diminico Face Off Again In 13 t h H... May '16 Sheri 1
Whitney Beth Raymer May '16 concerned 1
CAR Accident on Friday April 22, 2016 Apr '16 MarcusT20073 1
Cromwell-the most racist town in CT (Jun '10) Apr '16 Resident 28
News Series Of Talks On Islam To Take Place In South... Mar '16 islam is for pigs 1

South Glastonbury Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

South Glastonbury Mortgages