The Rowan County School system did te...

The Rowan County School system did teach the kids something today

Posted in the South Carrollton Forum

xyz

Flemingsburg, KY

#1 Jan 25, 2013
SO what did they teach them? To live in fear of the unknown.
So I propose to the NEW school board it is time to step up. It is time to put in place a PLAN B (and maybe C) transportation plan. If everyone is so fearful of the possibility of snow, let’s accommodate it.
Plan B is where the kids are transported to the nearest point possible on the street (without endangering the kids [heaven forbid]) and all the lazy parent haul their butts there and pick them up. Parents can sign waivers to let the kids walk home from there. If the parents aren't at the dropoff point, the kids get transported back to the nearest school and the parents get to go pick them up there.
Plan C is where the kids are transported by the parents.
These plans work in other cities. We are not uniquely different that the rest of the U.S.
And as a last resort if the school board still lives in fear, put it up to vote to the people. But at least at that point they tried to do the right thing. In the end, I think the school board will no different than the last and do nothing for the right cause. Prove me wrong. Please.
prude

Lexington, KY

#2 Jan 25, 2013
Oh goodness,quit complaining and enjoy your kids today if you have any. Makes for some good old quality time. Gotta love and care for those babies.
Ann

Morehead, KY

#3 Jan 25, 2013
prude wrote:
Oh goodness,quit complaining and enjoy your kids today if you have any. Makes for some good old quality time. Gotta love and care for those babies.
The OP said nothing about not wanting to spend time with her kids. So don't judge her for something she hasn't said.

It may very well have been the best to have canceled school, but it does seem as though it sends the wrong message to students. I want my kids to learn the value of an education and a strong work ethic. I can teach those myself at home, but it sure would be nice if I could feel like the school had my back. Calling off school due to a forecast doesn't make me feel like they're in my corner at all. Perhaps the OP is feeling the same way.
wow

Olive Hill, KY

#4 Jan 25, 2013
The people in this town would complain if they were hung with a new rope. Small town, small minds.
prude

Lexington, KY

#5 Jan 25, 2013
I never said this person didn't want to spend time with their kids :) just saying enjoy the day with the kids.
Viking12

Morehead, KY

#6 Jan 25, 2013
I hope that with the number of accidents on the roads today due to slick conditions those complainers realize that it really was for the safety of the children. Gimme a break folks!
prude

Lexington, KY

#7 Jan 25, 2013
Nicely said Viking, if school were in session and an accident happened, this conversation would be different,lol..some people may not understand the severity of some of these back roads.
wrong

Palm City, FL

#8 Jan 25, 2013
xyz wrote:
So I propose to the NEW school board it is time to step up. It is time to put in place a PLAN B (and maybe C) transportation plan. If everyone is so fearful of the possibility of snow, let’s accommodate it.
Plan B is where the kids are transported to the nearest point possible on the street (without endangering the kids [heaven forbid]) and all the lazy parent haul their butts there and pick them up. Parents can sign waivers to let the kids walk home from there. If the parents aren't at the dropoff point, the kids get transported back to the nearest school and the parents get to go pick them up there.
These plans work in other cities. We are not uniquely different that the rest of the U.S.
And as a last resort if the school board still lives in fear, put it up to vote to the people. But at least at that point they tried to do the right thing. In the end, I think the school board will no different than the last and do nothing for the right cause. Prove me wrong. Please.
Yes, we are uniquely different from other areas of the country. I came from a northern state which deals with severe snow and ice for many months of the winter, not to mention sub-zero temperatures. School is nearly never closed there.

Here we do not deal with the severity of winter, although we do have our occasional snow or black ice problems. The difference in how the school system deals with the situation here, I believe, is because of the many children that live not in the city or open rural areas, but rather the mountains. When we have ice or snow conditions, there are parts of the county that would be extremely dangerous to try and navigate with a school bus. Sometimes even with a car. We live right outside of Morehead, in a fairly accessible area, yet there were times during snowfalls that we were unable to get either car out of our property and were forced to miss work.

It boils down to a matter of safety. Keeping our children safe is the number one concern. If it means closing the school because of weather, so be it. If schools remained open, buses were sent out and a bad accident occurred, the public outcry would be fierce. Then the blame would fall squarely on the people who made the decision to ignore the potential danger and keep the schools open. That is a hefty responsibility, the ultimate safety of countless children.

I understand that it is not convenient for working parents to have their kids unexpectedly home for a day because of weather. Been there, done that. But isn't that better than what could possibly be notification of your child being in a tragic bus accident? I always believed it was. Some people view the school as a built-in daycare during working hours, I never did. Making sure my children were safe was my number one priority.

Since: Sep 08

Hillsboro, KY

#9 Jan 31, 2013
but they never called off school for any of the alien invasions, which are really not invasions per se, but more like school trips for life forms unlike ourselves. This is a major fault of amerikan publik edukation...the school systems are run by individuals who discriminate against the truth that the aliens landed here many years ago and are probably visiting again.

why put your child on a bus and send them off to be indoctrinated?
oh wow

Morehead, KY

#10 Jan 31, 2013
myft wrote:
but they never called off school for any of the alien invasions, which are really not invasions per se, but more like school trips for life forms unlike ourselves. This is a major fault of amerikan publik edukation...the school systems are run by individuals who discriminate against the truth that the aliens landed here many years ago and are probably visiting again.

Myft, it's good to see you back on the boards!!:)
skeeter

Ironton, OH

#11 Feb 1, 2013
Do they not make these days up in May and June thus shortening the summer break and lack of knowledge gained during that time.

I remember school being called off a week at a time back in the 70's and we didn't make up most of those days.
Complain

United States

#12 Feb 1, 2013
xyz wrote:
You would be the first to bitch if school wasn't cancelled! Quit trying to stir up stuff
Joan

Commerce, GA

#13 Feb 1, 2013
You would have complained if they would have had it.

Since: Dec 09

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

#14 Feb 1, 2013
skeeter wrote:
Do they not make these days up in May and June thus shortening the summer break and lack of knowledge gained during that time.
I remember school being called off a week at a time back in the 70's and we didn't make up most of those days.
I remember that to, but we had winter back then, we have not had any real winter weather for over ten years now. I remember having to go out and take a axe or matic an cut through ice a foot thick on ponds so the live stock could drink. I have seen snow drifts 4 to 6 foot deep on the road banks up in the hills, ice 4 to 6 inches thick on the roadways and have to walk a mile to the main road to catch the bus, have not seen weather like that in a long time.
whatever

Nicholasville, KY

#15 Feb 5, 2013
myft wrote:
that explains what happened to you!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Carrollton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
opinions on Brother Timothy Burden (Jul '13) 1 hr crazy 8
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Lisa 153,914
Auto and truck repair 5 hr Steven 15
Tyler kieth (Nov '11) 7 hr Really 28
Multi-millionaire Matt Bevin. Not a Kentuckian... 8 hr Cornfused 25
savannah hanshaw??? (Mar '11) 8 hr Savannah big ass 59
Savannah Hanshaw stories 8 hr James case 4

South Carrollton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance