Tears, resolve for gay marriage fight in Maine

There are 2 comments on the Apr 29, 2009, gay_blog.blogspot.com story titled Tears, resolve for gay marriage fight in Maine. In it, gay_blog.blogspot.com reports that:

"It's been incredibly moving," said Kittery Point resident Lane Williamson, whose lesbian daughter was married in Massachusetts to her longtime partner. "There's a huge pro-civil rights group here, from tiny babies to grandparents."

Williamson, who also has a heterosexual married daughter, said she has long fought for women's and civil rights.

"Marriage is a civil right and therefore each of my daughters has a right to be married," she said. "If Vermont can do it (pass a gay marriage law) and Iowa can do it, for goodness sake, then Maine had better. I'm quite certain that the bill will pass."

She and others in attendance at the hearing talked of seeing a "sea of red" among those in the audience as the pro-bill organization Equality Maine asked proponents to wear red clothing. Of the estimated 4,000 to 5,000 in attendance, they said, it appeared from the clothing that about two-thirds of those attending favored the bill.

More

Join the discussion below, or Read more at gay_blog.blogspot.com.

tomas

United States

#1 Apr 30, 2009
I would put on red any day for such a noble cause. Wonder what colour the righwing christians would wear?
Joe

Broadview Heights, OH

#2 May 3, 2009
It would not be red--read your bible--homosexuality is an abomination

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Berwick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Some mighty tasty burgers at Willy's Apr 7 rah91 2
Gas Station Closes AGAIN (Jan '14) Jan '15 Willow 3
News New England's tallest lighthouse sells for $78,000 (Sep '14) Jan '15 veryHard 5
News Homeless: Mother, 4 children living in truck Dec '14 Nuetim 1
Memories from growing up in the Berwick area in... (Apr '11) Dec '14 Lisa-Marie 16
News Atlantic Ballet tours - Nutcracker' Dec '14 Michael2327 1
Review: Guitar Lessons W/ Randy Browning (Feb '14) Oct '14 Eugene Dean 3
More from around the web

South Berwick People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]