Witness: White feared for self after ...

Witness: White feared for self after false rape accusation

There are 106 comments on the Newsday story from Nov 29, 2007, titled Witness: White feared for self after false rape accusation. In it, Newsday reports that:

As a new, black student in the predominantly white Miller Place High School, Aaron White knew that being accused of threatening to rape a white girl could destroy him, Aaron's best friend testified Thursday in ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

BBB

Woods Cross, UT

#51 Nov 29, 2007
The main problem here is most of the posters here are ignorant of the LAW.

While common sense may argue that a grown man should not have brought a shotgun out to confront a bunch of drunken teens, the LAW says doing so is "Reckless Endangerment", NOT "Manslaughter" and CERTAINLY NOT "Murder".

The circumstances sorrounding EXACTLY HOW the kid was shot dictate if it was manslughter, murder, or something else.

IMO it is going to come out - based on things like ballistics and the coroners report - that the kid was shot while the kid attempted to take the gun away from the man. Why?

1) Look at the coroners report. Shot was fired "less than 3 inches from the right check, angled towards the right ear. That means the gun was pointed upwards and slightly away from the kids face when it went off, and at very close range. If the man was actually "aiming" at the kids face the gun barrel should have been level or even slightly downward, unless the kid was a foot taller than the man (which I doubt).

2) Try this experiment. You need a broom and a second person. Have the second person hold the broom like it was a shotgun. One hand on the "barrel" (broomhandle) and one down near the "stock" (the broom itself). Tell them to carry it like you would carry a shotgun (waist level, 2 hands, barrel pointing either upwards or down to the ground.
Have the 2nd person face with his back toward you and start to walk away from you. Tell the person you are going to try and grab the "gun" away from him, but he should resist...
I tried this yesterday. And guess what happened?

I grabbed for the "gun". Hard enough to turn the other guy around as he was walking away. I pulled up and in and he tried to resist me.
Guess where the tip of the broomhandle ends up?

Right side of my head, pointed almost directly at my right ear...

a couple of inches away from my face.

Boom! The gun went off because the kid reached over the mans shoulder, grabbed the barrel, and tried to pull it out of the man's hands.

By definition under the LAW, that's not "murder" or even "manslaughter".

That's an "accidental death".

And - for all those clamoring that "it shouldn't matter because the man going outside with a gun is what CAUSED the kids death in the first place...."

Ummmmmm... actually, the kid showing up at the man's home is what ACTUALLY CAUSED the kids death...

"in the first place".
good

Roswell, GA

#52 Nov 29, 2007
I was born , and raised on LI. I have since moved to the South, and I feel that LONG Island is one of the most Racist places in the US. I feel Sad for the parents of Both the victim and the son of the Shooter. I must admit, If it were me and My child I may have acted the same.
Charlie

Brooklyn, NY

#54 Nov 29, 2007
That's something that blacks and spanish would and do. They have not learned to talk instead of hit first! They are real tough with their knifes and guns or their groups of 2 or more. The rappers and their videos display this kind of behavior on a daily basis. Once they learn to put violence aside and talk things out then and only then will there ever be peace between the races but I don't even think that would be possible.
manny wrote:
that punk a-s-s bicth got what he deserved, that poor man minding his own bussiness at home when a 5 a -holes show up to harm his child, he did what any of us parents would've done in that situation, defend his child.
funnyman

Bronx, NY

#55 Nov 29, 2007
tired wrote:
<quoted text>
racism as regards any color is foolish and sad. I hope you felt the same though when things happened with the Duke trio.
and you know what... i did..i didnt think they were guilty at all..besides on chick had a past for lying...but this is not the only incident where blacks were being blamed before anyone heard the real story ( JENA 6..HOWARD BEACH..ROSEWOOD..)please..why dont anyone want to here 2 sides of a story before everyone takes it overboard?. and im talking black and white..everyone is ready to get in a rage before even thinking things out and talking about it..once this stops..racism has a whole stops
Charlie

Brooklyn, NY

#56 Nov 29, 2007
Exactly, but it is ok to have blacks do this to whites but not whites do this to blacks? There is always this double standard because the blacks are violent people who use the phrase"No Justice, NO Peace" at every friggan rally there ever was even if the other party was innocent and before knowing the facts as well. All they know is a white killed a balck and all holy hell breaks loose!!
mtkj wrote:
In December, 1984, Bernie Getz shot four black teenagers on a New York subway who tried to rob him with a screwdriver. He spent a year in jail on a gun charge
<quoted text>
Charlie

Brooklyn, NY

#57 Nov 29, 2007
Oh please!! The south is just way better at hiding it and all. They use christianity as a coverup for all of their sins and transgressions
good wrote:
I was born , and raised on LI. I have since moved to the South, and I feel that LONG Island is one of the most Racist places in the US. I feel Sad for the parents of Both the victim and the son of the Shooter. I must admit, If it were me and My child I may have acted the same.
concerned

Bronx, NY

#58 Nov 29, 2007
A perfect storm wrote:
Booze, a roided (probably) guido, anger management problems, not propertly taught to respect people by mom and dad, a slight to a girl he wanted to bang...what else is the macho, Iroc loving guy supposed to do?
Why get 4 of your same thinking friends, block off a street, yell racial slurs, intimidate an innocent family, don't have the common sense to go away when a gun is shown...things that make you go hmmmm.
My, my what strong accusations from someone who knows NOTHING about anyone's family or lifestyle! You need to get wrapped up in your own life instead of others...
stacey

Massapequa, NY

#59 Nov 29, 2007
Who told them to go to the Whites home. Sounds to me like they started. This Martin biatch got her friend killed with her lies. I hope she feels like ssshhiittt.
Charlie

Brooklyn, NY

#60 Nov 29, 2007
NO!! What caused the kids death is the fact that alcohol was involved and that this grown man did not know how to properly use the firearm. You can go shoot any drunk dead because he shows up at your house? I don't think so!
BBB wrote:
The main problem here is most of the posters here are ignorant of the LAW.
While common sense may argue that a grown man should not have brought a shotgun out to confront a bunch of drunken teens, the LAW says doing so is "Reckless Endangerment", NOT "Manslaughter" and CERTAINLY NOT "Murder".
The circumstances sorrounding EXACTLY HOW the kid was shot dictate if it was manslughter, murder, or something else.
IMO it is going to come out - based on things like ballistics and the coroners report - that the kid was shot while the kid attempted to take the gun away from the man. Why?
1) Look at the coroners report. Shot was fired "less than 3 inches from the right check, angled towards the right ear. That means the gun was pointed upwards and slightly away from the kids face when it went off, and at very close range. If the man was actually "aiming" at the kids face the gun barrel should have been level or even slightly downward, unless the kid was a foot taller than the man (which I doubt).
2) Try this experiment. You need a broom and a second person. Have the second person hold the broom like it was a shotgun. One hand on the "barrel" (broomhandle) and one down near the "stock" (the broom itself). Tell them to carry it like you would carry a shotgun (waist level, 2 hands, barrel pointing either upwards or down to the ground.
Have the 2nd person face with his back toward you and start to walk away from you. Tell the person you are going to try and grab the "gun" away from him, but he should resist...
I tried this yesterday. And guess what happened?
I grabbed for the "gun". Hard enough to turn the other guy around as he was walking away. I pulled up and in and he tried to resist me.
Guess where the tip of the broomhandle ends up?
Right side of my head, pointed almost directly at my right ear...
a couple of inches away from my face.
Boom! The gun went off because the kid reached over the mans shoulder, grabbed the barrel, and tried to pull it out of the man's hands.
By definition under the LAW, that's not "murder" or even "manslaughter".
That's an "accidental death".
And - for all those clamoring that "it shouldn't matter because the man going outside with a gun is what CAUSED the kids death in the first place...."
Ummmmmm... actually, the kid showing up at the man's home is what ACTUALLY CAUSED the kids death...
"in the first place".
funnyman

Bronx, NY

#61 Nov 29, 2007
and when it comes down to it all..BLACKS ARE GUILTY NO MATTER WHAT. we are already guilty before we even see a judge..a jury..please..the media has it this way regardless..when a black man does anything..he's guilty.. when it comes to us getting education and jobs..were lucky. majority of blacks sell drugs, dont take care of their kids, lie..steal..kill..and it goes on and on..this is a somewhat victory..its sad a kid had to lose his life..but like i said before..people need to get the story first...before reacting ...just by judging will make a situation worse than what it is
funnyman

Bronx, NY

#63 Nov 29, 2007
Roe wrote:
I'm so tired of people trying to justify the murder of this teenager. He was a kid, doing what kids do. He DID NOT DESERVE TO BE KILLED!!! His parents do not deserve to hear this garbage from racist, ignorant morans. If the killer was white and the murdered teen was black, would you still feel the same way???
lets see...bernard guetz..howard beach..jeffrey dahmer( and he ate them)should i go on...please...you were probably one of those people in earlier blogs calling him all type of names werent you?..mr. white was in the wrong..period..but what if you had 4 drunk blacks comming to your house and you had that gun..tell me then what happens?..and youre not going to call the cops either ..so lets just get that out the way...
you know

Poughquag, NY

#64 Nov 29, 2007
ok there wrote:
He goes to your house,you look out the window,theres 4 white boys on your lawn,You don't call the COPS you shoot one that told your son to leave.15 yrs to life min,,,,
Why,,cause he didn't have a gun,he wasn't breaking into your home,he didn't assult your son,he showed up cause he was drunk and upset....your son had a gun WHY is he worried someone is going to kick his a--.You know everyday we learn we gave them there freedom we were better off shipping them back to afica....You can take the monkey out of the jungle but you can;t take the jungle out of the monkey....Its sad but true.Racist no the truth is I don't go to harlem cause im NOT welcome there,Why go to a place your not welcomed...You can end up shoot...Get the point....Sorry for everyones lose,There was no winner here black or white pray for the familys,I will.
You're an idiot... Stupid freakin idiot...

First, if the kid wasn't so jacked up on his own shit the moment he had seen the gun, he should have had the common sense to back off. As for the Whites seeing the people approach their home. You say he shoulda called the police? Yeah, Right, they would have gotten there in time. If the situation were reversed I'm sure you would have stated that the blacks approaching the home should have gotten their heads blown off.

No need to retreat, the moment the kid lunged for the gun he became the agressor. Got what was coming to him, stupid kids and their beer balls. Girl should be held liable for instigating the whole affair.
NY Accent

Saint Louis, MO

#65 Nov 29, 2007
Mr. White was just following the edict of our President. A preemptive strike against your enemy is OK if you feel that you're in jeopardy.
I think we applaud Mr. White for this Neo-Con policy of self preservation!
Rainman Long Island NY

Lavallette, NJ

#66 Nov 29, 2007
I have read alot of comments and I am somewhat amazed about the stupidity, hate, bias not to mention;
just plain ignorance.
Has anyone considered the fear that may have caused the action on Mr. White's behalf. Has anyone ever considered that fear leads to panic an uncontrollable emotion which gets triggered on the concept I Must survive, my son must survive.
I cannot even imagine that I would take the time to think rational, when I am scared shitless.
Where were the parents. AT THE PARTY.
Hello, goodbye have a nice life and think about it.
cooltemp

Edison, NJ

#67 Nov 29, 2007
hey hollywood cracker, i'm a white long islander who works in harlem! how bout that! u gotta be the biggest a hole i ever heard from. why don't u stay outta this if all ur gonna do is spew your racist crap and go back to fornicating with your sister. there are no winners just losers in this situation but ur the biggest loser of them all!
Kayla

Woodland Hills, CA

#68 Nov 29, 2007
Iíd be interested in the time difference between the warning call & the arrival of the group. Yes the police should have been called. But based on an expected response time from the police to a phone call about a drunk group of teens threatening to go kick some kidís ass, Iíd have a gun in my hand before I picked up the phone. Even in domestic violence calls you canít expect the police to magically appear in time. How many sector cars even cover Miller Place at any given point in time? If you got a call from a nasty drunk, followed by frantic warning call, would you sit on the sofa & just wait to see who shows up first? It was a reasonable assumption that people who would behave this way could be carrying some sort of weapon, so I donít agree that reckless endangerment applies.

The better point re: calling the police is why no one at the party called the police when these guys left to carry out on their threats. Multiple calls from their cell phones could have gotten the police there on a priority basis. Isnít that where the end result would have been the most different? The kid didnít deserve to die & rather than accidental death it should go in a category of stupid. But there were many people who had an opportunity to calm down or get adult intervention who didnít. Can anyone honestly say they wouldnít have picked up a weapon? The race issue is just a distraction to many other points of this story. If all parties in ďpredominantly white Miller PlaceĒ had been white, would this message board read the same?
pvan

Greenwood, ME

#70 Nov 29, 2007
Strike 1: new black student in a predominently white school.
Strike 2: girlfriend lies to boyfriend, telling him new black student is threatening her.
Strike 3: A mob of drunk, underage white men (?) show up at your house threatening your son and your family.
Strike 4: defend your home and your family.
Strike 5: get arrested, disgraced in your community for defending your home and your family.

Listen people, granted and sadly, that young boy lost his life because of his stupid girlfriend lying and his inability to know the difference between right and wrong. Those boys came to his house shouting racial slurs, threatened his son and god knows what else. We, in this country have the right to defend ourselves, our homes and our families. If they had stayed at that party and if that girl had not said the lies she did, this would have never happened. No, I'm not the Reverend Al Sharpton, I am white and that man needs to be acquitted.
While I am not condoning the use of a gun, he should have called the police.........when you are put in a situation like that and many of us had never had to deal with that kind of situation, what would you do?
What would all of you had done in the same situation?
Think about it.
FORGETABOUTIT

Pompano Beach, FL

#71 Nov 29, 2007
I think Dano jr watched too many episodes of the Sopranos and growing up Gotti.WHOEVER encouraged and supported his Guido lifestyle should take the blame for this unnecessary tragety.
pvan

Greenwood, ME

#72 Nov 29, 2007
Roe wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not a hater of anyone, but this case has incensed me. Let's see the Whites were so afraid he taunted these "drunken" teens and waited for them armed and full of hate. The Whites ambushed these kids and did exactly what was done to blacks in the South. Doesn't anyone realize that these are kids who are young and stupid, but they did Daniel did not deserve to get shot in the face. He deserved to get punished - he was only 17.
17, drunk, driving, shouting racial slurs, threatening to hurt another person, going to their house with a group of other 17 year old drunks, driving, shouting racial slurs and threatening his home, his family and his right to defend himself.

Um, yes, hello?
mmignone

Westbury, NY

#74 Nov 29, 2007
manny wrote:
that punk a-s-s bicth got what he deserved, that poor man minding his own bussiness at home when a 5 a -holes show up to harm his child, he did what any of us parents would've done in that sfituation, defend his child.
first of all where did he get off on shooting thepoor kid... if 4 kids came on my lawn BLACK OR WHITE I would call the cops.not shoot him in the face

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sound Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Memories Of Old Ronkonkoma (Jul '09) Dec 11 Jayar 127
News Moriches Man Charged With Home Improvement Scam (Feb '11) Dec 6 madoff sindrome 18
Review: Luxury Aircraft Solutions, Inc. Dec 6 ClaritonPartners EA 1
attn Adoptees and Birthparents & Siblings Reunite! (Jan '12) Dec 4 joan 32
Don Woolley (Dec '10) Dec 1 Don W 15
all drownings (Jun '07) Nov 30 Uncle Bumblephuk 83
Whiskey Road something needs to change (Dec '09) Nov 27 Denise Arnold bip... 7

Sound Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sound Beach Mortgages