Parents shell out activities fees

Parents shell out activities fees

There are 53 comments on the PhillyBurbs.com story from Aug 23, 2010, titled Parents shell out activities fees. In it, PhillyBurbs.com reports that:

Emily Patterson of Trumbauersville was not happy to learn that she would be shelling out $150 this year so her daughter could participate in the sports and activities she loves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at PhillyBurbs.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Disagree

Quakertown, PA

#41 Aug 26, 2010
A Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously??? Twenty dollars on school supplies??? Try like over $200!! You left off a zero. And,$150 on video games??? Um, where do you shop for your kid's gaming needs??? If you spend $150 on video games, then you SHOULD have to buy the districts' supplies!
We had most of the items left over from last year for our elementary school child.

The $150...how about the cost of a Nintendo DS, on top of the game cartidges. New games are still around $40.

What on earth are you buying that costs $200? 14kt gold pencils and jewel encrusted pencil boxes?

Screwball.
Disagree

Quakertown, PA

#42 Aug 26, 2010
Clark wrote:
<quoted text>ok then we should not buy our kids anything for enjoyment, no birthday gifts, no Christmas gifts so we can all spend our money on QCSD taxes!
You have no problem shelling out $40 - 60 a pop for mindless video games, but complain about having to spend a little on supplies for your child's education? Get a life! No wonder people complain about parents in QCSD...we now see where their priorities lie.
Off Topic

Burlington, NJ

#43 Aug 26, 2010
qt dad wrote:
Wow-- the absolute ignorance on this board is more amazing every day. Do any of you know what some of the PARENTS in this school district are like? They think their emotionally disturbed child is an angel and that the poor teacher stuck 6 hrs a day with them should turn them into a genius. My child was in a class last year with a 5th grader that was so disturbed that I was just glad to see her get out of the school year alive. The parents were completely out of their minds and wanted special treatment for this kid that was disrupting the rest of the kids all year long. Stop complaining and go into a school and see what is really going on-- you wil no longer complain about a few school supplies
Completely off topic - start another thread.
A Taxpayer

Devon, PA

#44 Aug 26, 2010
Hey, "disagree" I'm not a screwball, I'm an educated person who doesn't have to try acting superior by calling names anonymously. That being said, apparently, the schools are all different as to what they are asking parents to supply. Just today, I spent another $150 to go along with the money I've already spent on my other shopping excursions for school supplies. I have three children in the school district and have to buy the $88 (on sale) calculator! So, before you start calling people immature names on here, find out the facts. If you can't handle that, then keep your comments to yourself!:)
A Taxpayer

Devon, PA

#45 Aug 26, 2010
Here's something for everyone to chew on! What do most people do when their car starts to nickel and dime them??? Most people trade them in for a new car, right?! Well maybe it's time we do that with our school board. Everyone can say "it's only $50", "it's only $30", "our taxes only went up $300". But, add all the small nickels and dimes over the past few years. If your car started costing you this much, wouldn't you want a new car? We need a new school board. It's broken! Time for a newer model!
Which schools

Quakertown, PA

#46 Aug 26, 2010
A Taxpayer wrote:
Hey, "disagree" I'm not a screwball, I'm an educated person who doesn't have to try acting superior by calling names anonymously. That being said, apparently, the schools are all different as to what they are asking parents to supply. Just today, I spent another $150 to go along with the money I've already spent on my other shopping excursions for school supplies. I have three children in the school district and have to buy the $88 (on sale) calculator! So, before you start calling people immature names on here, find out the facts. If you can't handle that, then keep your comments to yourself!:)
Which schools are you referencing? If it's the elementary schools, the disparity is in how much the parent/teacher organizations in each school contribute to the supply lists. Some do more than others. If your elementary school has a large list that costs you big $$, then go the the PTO, or whatever it's called in your school, and ramp up the efforts to add to the total contribution. My daughter only needs supplies for herself as our organization is supplying the "classroom" supplies. We also have "leftovers" from last year, so we are only shelling out for a 3 ring binder, two folders, a couple of packs of ruled paper, and a composition notebook. She picks up pencils and erasers at the school store throughout the year, so no need to buy more.

Yes, this is a pain in the butt to do, but take a look at how much your parent organizations are contributing.

As for the calculator, I'm guessing you have a kid in HS that needs it for math? The good news is that if he/she takes care of it, they'll have it for the four years of HS and on to college, and, it's something you would have to buy anyway, regardless of school supply lists. That's always been the case.
A Taxpayer

Devon, PA

#47 Aug 27, 2010
Which schools wrote:
<quoted text>
Which schools are you referencing? If it's the elementary schools, the disparity is in how much the parent/teacher organizations in each school contribute to the supply lists. Some do more than others. If your elementary school has a large list that costs you big $$, then go the the PTO, or whatever it's called in your school, and ramp up the efforts to add to the total contribution. My daughter only needs supplies for herself as our organization is supplying the "classroom" supplies. We also have "leftovers" from last year, so we are only shelling out for a 3 ring binder, two folders, a couple of packs of ruled paper, and a composition notebook. She picks up pencils and erasers at the school store throughout the year, so no need to buy more.
Yes, this is a pain in the butt to do, but take a look at how much your parent organizations are contributing.
As for the calculator, I'm guessing you have a kid in HS that needs it for math? The good news is that if he/she takes care of it, they'll have it for the four years of HS and on to college, and, it's something you would have to buy anyway, regardless of school supply lists. That's always been the case.
Thanks for the information :) You are lucky that's all you have to buy! That's amazing!
Big Deal

United States

#48 Aug 27, 2010
What we have done for the past couple of years is stock up during the year...why wait for the mad rush the week before school starts? You know you are going to have to but the stuff...pencils, ruled paper, binders, etc are cheap during the beginning of summer.

As far as the calculator goes, i just bought one on Ebay for $40 including shipping. It seems like these calculators are everywhere, and a lot of them are sitting in a drawer somewhere.

I remember going to the store with my folks 20 years ago and we were buying, for the most part, the same things back then.
jumpin jack

Newtown Square, PA

#49 Aug 27, 2010
Disagree wrote:
<quoted text>You have no problem shelling out $40 - 60 a pop for mindless video games, but complain about having to spend a little on supplies for your child's education? Get a life! No wonder people complain about parents in QCSD...we now see where their priorities lie.
I'm spending a lot on my child's education...it's called TAXES!
Dorothy

Newtown Square, PA

#50 Sep 8, 2010
In the letter that parents received to shell out $50.00 per student for activities, it states "We have observed other districts make cuts to programs, staff and activities" and "QCSD has joined the ever expanding list of school districts in our area who have initiated activity fees". YADA YADA YADA.... Then why don't we follow the other district's grading systems? If we want to be followers for one thing why not for everything? No one else in this area uses SBG. Isn't that interesting??????????
mjk2

Broomall, PA

#51 Sep 8, 2010
What are you complaining about???? Be happy your kid did not choose to play ice hockey for your school! we get ZERO percent financing from the school and I pay well over $1000/year plus equipment. Yet, we play for the school district - go figure. And anyone that has time to complain about $50 in school supplies like markers needs to find something else to do.
Sports are choices we can make or deny for our kids.
SCHOOL TAXES are not. Focus on the big issues.
WEB

Newtown Square, PA

#52 Sep 8, 2010
Wow if you can pay over $1000 a year so your kid could play ice hockey, you shouldn't complain about the taxes!
mjk2

Broomall, PA

#53 Sep 8, 2010
WEB wrote:
Wow if you can pay over $1000 a year so your kid could play ice hockey, you shouldn't complain about the taxes!
Oh, I will complain about school taxes, until I get the education/grading system/readiness for top league colleges that I want and demand for my school taxes. I could take my tax money and pay for half of a top prep school, although I am not given that option. I still have to pay the school taxes whether my kid goes there or not. Any, I wish my kid would have picked a cheaper sport, I am paying for my other childs college at the same time. I dont begrudge his ice hockey fees but I do begrudge the school taxes if they are not operating up to par.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Souderton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Church may take senior programs (Jul '07) Jun 5 Trey Gowdy 5
News Farm-to-plate restaurant to set up shop in Quak... May '17 Qtown Brown 14
Sellersville Theater & Ozzy Osbourne Apr '17 Van Homo 5
Mary jane (Jan '16) Mar '17 Johnny d 4
Go mobile_ Joe T the THIEF (Sep '16) Feb '17 Jim bobcock 5
noxious smell (Jul '12) Aug '16 Sindy 10
Review: Brinckman Richard (Jan '16) Jan '16 RICHARD BRINCKMAN 1

Souderton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance