Parents shell out activities fees

Parents shell out activities fees

There are 53 comments on the PhillyBurbs.com story from Aug 23, 2010, titled Parents shell out activities fees. In it, PhillyBurbs.com reports that:

Emily Patterson of Trumbauersville was not happy to learn that she would be shelling out $150 this year so her daughter could participate in the sports and activities she loves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at PhillyBurbs.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Clark

Newtown Square, PA

#1 Aug 23, 2010
I'm waiting to see if the administration will get hefty raises this year. That would really be a slpa in the face to parents who are shelling out for these activities as well as paying a pretty big tax bill.
Crazy

Quakertown, PA

#2 Aug 23, 2010
Why do we need to pay these coaches? How much are they being paid? When I went to school the athletic director and gym teachers coached the sports, The music teachers coached band and chorus and one of the teachers helped and ran the drama club.All of the clubs I mentioned did wonderful in competition.
I am sure there is plenty of talented people who in the community that would volunteer these positions. They are already being paid who are they getting more. If they are passionate about the activity and the kids they should volunteer
Q-town Resident

Annapolis, MD

#3 Aug 23, 2010
When will they start sucking us dry??
I got a school list from the school
that I must buy a pack of construction
paper and 4 glue sticks and give directly
to the teacher on the first day.
Yes, I will buy them but they will go
directly to my child.

I will not be providing the school district
with supplies.
no kdding

Egg Harbor Township, NJ

#4 Aug 23, 2010
Q-town Resident wrote:
When will they start sucking us dry??
I got a school list from the school
that I must buy a pack of construction
paper and 4 glue sticks and give directly
to the teacher on the first day.
Yes, I will buy them but they will go
directly to my child.
I will not be providing the school district
with supplies.
You aren't kidding me! My daughter is going into middle school and you should see that list; its pathetic! Specific colored binders & folders, colored pencils for EACH subject, post notes, all different kinds of markers and the list goes on and on. What are our taxes paying for? When I was in school, we needed 1 binder, paper & pencils! What gives here??!!
Clark

Newtown Square, PA

#5 Aug 23, 2010
Go take a tour of the administration building known as Milford Commons. No skimpping done there. Only the best! And even lights built into the sidewalks....very nice. But was this necessary while we are all dealing with the greatest economic crisis our nation has experienced in many years? There were not cuts when they planned that building but now we have to send our children to school with tissues and other supplies for the teachers.
Whiners

Quakertown, PA

#6 Aug 23, 2010
You people act like QCSD is the ONLY district doing this! Action News had a story about school supplies on the news this afternoon and nearly every district is having parents pay for supplies--some even for soap!

As for activity fees, did you actually READ the article? Palisades has been doing it for years.

Get over yourselves!
LKJ

Newark, NJ

#7 Aug 23, 2010
Some NJ towns are paying $300.00/per child/per team.
What a shame.
Mom

Burlington, NJ

#8 Aug 23, 2010
Whiners wrote:
You people act like QCSD is the ONLY district doing this! Action News had a story about school supplies on the news this afternoon and nearly every district is having parents pay for supplies--some even for soap!
As for activity fees, did you actually READ the article? Palisades has been doing it for years.
Get over yourselves!
it's our job to oversee our own pocketbooks. everyone else can yell about theirs. maybe eventually all our voices will be heard. i am hopping mad about all this money i'm shelling out! school taxes, school supplies, open space taxes, superviosrs health insurance, sewer tax increases. it is time to STOP! i got nothing left to give!
FYI

Green Lane, PA

#9 Aug 23, 2010
Get ready to shell even more next year when the teachers get their new fat contract. Remember the QCSD board has no guts to stand up to them or the administration.
Clark

Newtown Square, PA

#10 Aug 23, 2010
Well your going to see a drop in kids who participate in these activites.
Crazy Too

Center Valley, PA

#11 Aug 23, 2010
Crazy wrote:
Why do we need to pay these coaches? How much are they being paid? When I went to school the athletic director and gym teachers coached the sports, The music teachers coached band and chorus and one of the teachers helped and ran the drama club.All of the clubs I mentioned did wonderful in competition.
I am sure there is plenty of talented people who in the community that would volunteer these positions. They are already being paid who are they getting more. If they are passionate about the activity and the kids they should volunteer
Hey Crazy.. Call the school .. ANY school.... Volunteer Yourself.... I am sure you have some useful talent.. See just how easy it is !! OH. And do it for FREE..
Working

Burlington, NJ

#12 Aug 23, 2010
Crazy Too wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Crazy.. Call the school .. ANY school.... Volunteer Yourself.... I am sure you have some useful talent.. See just how easy it is !! OH. And do it for FREE..
i work to pay the taxes, activity fees. volunteering is only for the weathy.
Crazy

Quakertown, PA

#13 Aug 23, 2010
Well for your info.
My children go to St Izzys and every week on my day off I go into the school and make lunch for the kids so that they have a hot meal. It takes me from 10:30 to about 1:30 and then I go to work after.
5 days a week parents volunteer so that their kids can have a hot lunch. We also have parents volunteer daily to monitor the kids at lunch and to monitor them at recess, paint the walls, remove desks so that the floors can be cleaned. As a matter of fact without the volunteers at the school we would not have any extras. We do it for the love of the school and the love of the children for free.
I am also a Girl Scout leader who volunteers. If you know anything about Scouts you would know that it takes a lot of time and dedication. We do it because we have passionate about the future of the girls.

I care because although my kids go to catholic school my nieces and nephews do not, I have many friends and family who are affected by this, and I still pay taxes.
Crazy

Quakertown, PA

#14 Aug 23, 2010
Working wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong. I am far from wealthy. Don't assume that kids who go to private school are wealthy. Some of us have assistance some sacrifice a lot to send their kids there.
boy o boy

Quakertown, PA

#15 Aug 23, 2010
Working wrote:
<quoted text>
So if volunteering could ease some of the tax burden you would not do it? I would.
Working

Burlington, NJ

#16 Aug 23, 2010
boy o boy wrote:
<quoted text>
So if volunteering could ease some of the tax burden you would not do it? I would.
i need to spell this our for you? when i'm not at work i cook, clean, care for my family. i have no extra time for volunteering and i need to work to pay for taxes, activity fees.
Mom

Burlington, NJ

#17 Aug 23, 2010
Working wrote:
<quoted text>
i need to spell this our for you? when i'm not at work i cook, clean, care for my family. i have no extra time for volunteering and i need to work to pay for taxes, activity fees.
See those negs you got on your post? That's how they get away with it - blame it all on the poor working stiffs. And when your kids get in trouble it's cause you don't spend enough time with them. And when taxes & activity fees go up it's cause you don't volunteer enough. And when the husband leaves with a younger woman it's cause you didn't lavish enough attention on him.

Guess what folks - this time the politicians & the school districts better look at the taxes & fees & figure out ways to cut back & quit blaming the taxpayers. Here's just a couple ideas - quit paying health insurance for supervisors - that would save almost a million over a 10 year period. Quit asking taxpayers to pay an Open Space Tax. Take that money & give it to the School District. Any other ideas out there?? And why oh why that administration building in Milford got 3 million for improvements at a time like this is beyond me!
youmustbekidding

Middletown, IN

#18 Aug 23, 2010
With the economy the way it is i dont think its bad to ask participating students to pay for the extras. I like the idea.
Crazy

Quakertown, PA

#19 Aug 23, 2010
Working wrote:
<quoted text>
I hear you on that. I think everyone is stretched thin financially and time wise. Nobody faults you for not being able to donate your time. My original post is that somewhere out there somebody might be able to do it.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#20 Aug 23, 2010
Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
it's our job to oversee our own pocketbooks. everyone else can yell about theirs. maybe eventually all our voices will be heard. i am hopping mad about all this money i'm shelling out! school taxes, school supplies, open space taxes, superviosrs health insurance, sewer tax increases. it is time to STOP! i got nothing left to give!
Absolutely!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Souderton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
how do you get a guy to give you oral sex? (Apr '11) 21 hr Dont know what to... 18
News US Sen. Pat Toomey takes shots at Trump on elec... Sep '17 weaponX 3
Cold Cuts Merch Sep '17 Fallon 1
News Doctor charged with giving drug prescriptions f... (Oct '10) Aug '17 Nick Maraldo 13
News Farm-to-plate restaurant to set up shop in Quak... (Mar '17) Jul '17 Local 28
why is george weisbrod working at the sellersvi... (May '14) Jul '17 Government Worker 2
News Church may take senior programs (Jul '07) Jun '17 Trey Gowdy 5

Souderton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Souderton Mortgages