Paralyzed San Lorenzo Valley Gigh Sch...

Paralyzed San Lorenzo Valley Gigh School grad sues county over ...

There are 194 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Nov 18, 2009, titled Paralyzed San Lorenzo Valley Gigh School grad sues county over .... In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

A San Lorenzo Valley High School graduate left paralyzed by a car accident last spring is suing the county for an unspecified amount of damages.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
yawn

San Leandro, CA

#198 Nov 18, 2009
azbackwards wrote:
I vow to also boycott any local establishment that appears to be supporting Allie-especially if this case goes to court.
Anyone have a list?
Not Sue happy

Oakley, CA

#199 Nov 18, 2009
SV Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
The thing about airbags is that they are not failsafe. They have to be hit at direct sensors. Not like a seatbelt that is actively engaged. That is why they are refered to as Supplemental - not be counted on. You're right that that particular road has seen more than its fair share of crashes, but have you managed to drive it in the rain and not crash your car?
Actually to be very honest I am teaching a teenager to drive that road at the moment and find that curve banked incorrectly. I tell him "slower, slower" even though he's not exceeding the speed limit as it still doesn't feel safe. I absolutely think it's had more than it's share of accidents and should be re engineered.
I also think that car having a direct hit to the rear end should have deployed the airbags. It's to my understanding that off center collisions often time won't cause the airbag to deploy but a direct hit of this magnitude should have activated the bags.
shocked

San Francisco, CA

#200 Nov 18, 2009
I do not believe the air bags went off. The back of her car hit the county trucks front end. The truck was wrecked good. It was in front of 701 ocean st for a couple of weeks and I saw it there. And the truck was a GMC Sonoma not a full size truck. Her attorney also posted a comment on the press-banners website
http://www.pressbanner.com/pages/full_story/p...
Michael Moore

Burlingame, CA

#201 Nov 18, 2009
Please read this entry carefully. Its purpose is to correct some of the earlier entries, particularly those which personally attack Allie and her family for taking legal action after the automobile accident. It is important for all the parties concerned that this case not be "tried in the newspapers" (or on the blogs) but rather decided in court by a judge and jury who have heard all the evidence from all sides.
Allie was badly injured when her Mustang went out of control on a wet, curving roadway and went into the opposite lane, where it was struck by a County of Santa cruz pickup truck. Since the accident, she and her family have been involved in a full-time struggle dealing with the catastrophic injuries she suffered. They are grateful for the outpouring of support from the local community.
My law firm was asked to do a thorough investigation into the causes of the accident and Allie's injuries. It is well known that a collisin may be caused by the actions of the drivers involved or a dangerous condition of the roadway or both. Motor vehicles should be built to provide reasonable protection to the occupants if there is a collision.
My firm conducted a five month long investigation before any claim or lawsuit was filed. In the investigation, we inteviewed witnesses, inspected the accident scene, consulted with an accident reconstruction expert who scientifically analyzed how the accident happened based on the physical evidence and witness statements, obtained the accident history for this stretch of roadway, consulted with a traffic safety engineer who did a detailed study of the roadway in question, purchased both vehicles involved and consulted with a vehicle safety expert who inspected both vehicles.
Based on this investigation, Allie was not driving at a speed excessive for conditions;the roadway is unsafe in part because its shape causes excessive water to flow into the lane in which Allie was driving; the rear structure of Allie's vehicle collapsed all the way forward to the front seats and the operation of the county vehicle contribued to causing the collision.
The American system of justice provides that all parties who may have cause a collision or made the injuries worse are entitled to their "day in court" so that a judge and jury can decide who is responsible based on the evidence.
Please do not assume Allie was at fault because she is nineteen years old and was driving a Mustang. Do not "rush to judgment" on Allie and her family (or the county and automobile maunufacturer). Thank you for your understanding.
SV Parent

Santa Cruz, CA

#202 Nov 18, 2009
What happened to her is very sad and heart wrenching, it's a parent's worst nightmare besides the death of their child. I'm sure it wasn't her idea to blame the county and try to seek money from a law suit. If she and her family need help financially, they will have a much better response from the community by accepting responsibility and simply asking for help. Maybe she can get paid to speak to other young drivers about the dangers of speeding and actually help people from her experience. She can be an inspiration, help others and find a calling she doesn't know exists. Kind of like turning lemons into lemonade, making something good out of something bad. I wish peace for Alexandria and her family. I would certainly support her in teaching from her experience but would not support a law suit and denying responsibility.
SV Parent

Santa Cruz, CA

#203 Nov 18, 2009
Actually to be very honest I am teaching a teenager to drive that road at the moment and find that curve banked incorrectly. I tell him "slower, slower" even though he's not exceeding the speed limit as it still doesn't feel safe.

I have taught two teenagers to drive and do we really ever feel safe when we are in the passenger seat with them driving? Regardless of the signs on the road, one has to use their senses when driving based on their experience and driving ability. I have also been driving that road for close to 30 years and have never had a problem. I also used to be a teenager and drove very fast and felt like I was invisible. I'm sure all you adults on here remember feeling that way.
uhhuh

San Leandro, CA

#204 Nov 19, 2009
What a loser. I can rationalize how the crap he took that day also caused her to hit the innocent defendants/victums. He should list himself as a defendant.
Get the case dismissed, it has no merit. If it does go to trial, its the peoples responsibility to step up. Jury nullification of any charges.
_SC Pops_

Felton, CA

#206 Nov 19, 2009
*chose*
some1 who knows allie

Santa Cruz, CA

#207 Nov 19, 2009
To all of those people who DO NOT know allie, DO NOT know her family, DO NOT know her situation besides a biased write up, HAVE NOT gone and looked at the area of the crash, and who DO NOT live in this valley or even COUNTY probably shouldn't be sitting at their computers wasting "their" time criticizing someone who doesn't even have the ability to stand up for herself. Writing your hurtful opinion is far from productive. Your rude and sarcastic "indy 500" comments are beyond appropriate. I am sure that thoughtful comments would be looked at with respect even if disagreed with, but the things people are writing her are extremely uncalled for. Even gearing your negative comments towards "the family" is a direct insult to allie herself seeing that she is incapible of responding on her own or even talking at this point and time. To the people blaming the crash souly on the speed in which allie was driving obviously dont know the situation or the area in which she crashed, there has been hundreds of accidents in the same location. Allie doesn't need a pity party, rude remarks, or extremely immature feedback from a poorly written article. If anything she needs people's prayers and wishes to get better, and if you have none of these your wasting your time writing on here. Allie has been extremely appreciative for all the support and love she has recieved from people from all parts of the country. Its this kind of support that helps heal someone mentally and physically. As one of Allie's close friends I would hope that people would respect what we have said and leave it at that, if you have a negative opinion I'm sure someone has already said something for you, so please only write possitive comments or nothing at all. I am assuming everyone writting is an adult therefore should act accordingly!
Local Resident

United States

#208 Nov 19, 2009
To "Some1 Who knows Allie" ... you MUST be addressing that last post to the people that don't live in the area, because us locals KNOW that there have not been hundreds of accidents on that curve. And most of the accidents that have occurred have been in the other direction where it's easy to come up on the turn too fast if you aren't paying attention. From reading the posts, I would guess that most of the posters are local and know that section of road well.

You can't believe the location posted under the name on these posts ... mine usually comes up San Leandro or Hayward (it changes!) but I've lived here for almost 10 years.
Just a Parent

Oakley, CA

#209 Nov 19, 2009
I've read many of the comments from the last two days. I have a position that many might not take or agree with. If I were in Allie's parents position and my child had needs that far exceeded what myself, insurance, fund raisers etc could ever pay for I would be looking for the next solution. There aren't many choices, you certainly can't care for you quadriplegic ventalor dependant daughter no $$. I'm not in their shoes and certainly hope never to be but unless I am I'm not to judge what measures I would take to care for my child. I would do whatever it took.

Now all of you that have a teenager that might not be experienced enough to handle a poorly designed corner in a fresh rain think about this.(Every single kid that is under the age of 20 basically) She wasn't on the phone, she was NOT going over the posted speed limit, she was not drinking, she was not smoking, she was not txting. How many of your kids could have been under the same cicumstances caught in the same situation??

I would hope that nobody would ever mention the horrific comments that were posted on this blog to Allie. The effects of that to her health could be extreme. I think any direct hits to Allie's character are out of line and SHOULD stop. I believe the Sentinal reconized the cruelty, ignorance and possibly ramifications to Allie's health and removed the comments section from their online article. Everyone has said their piece--some WAY more than they should have without knowing Allie or being in the car with her. Lets let the courts decide now.

Not Local

Austin, TX

#210 Nov 23, 2009
I don't live in Felton now, but spent my gradeschool and middle school years there. I have no idea if that part of the road is unsafe or not, but if I lived there now, I think that rather than judge Allie, I would slow way down on that section of the road and thank God it wasn't me who hit that section of the road that day under those particular conditions at a speed that obviously Allie thought was reasonable.

Personally, I would be glad for a lawsuit that might force the county to correct any unsafe conditions which begs the question: Is Allie's family just desperate for money to care for their paralyzed daughter or do they also want to prevent this from happening to anyone else's son or daughter or for that matter to any grownups.

I'm glad I don't have to judge allie one way or the other in terms of whether it was her fault or if the road was/is unsafe. That's what the courtroom is for which removes that burden from my shoulders.

My heart goes out to Allie and her family. I hope and pray with stem cell research, she will one day be restored to pefect health and be able to get out of that wheelchair with no respirator and walk, run and even dance.
Seriously

United States

#213 Nov 30, 2009
I don't get any of you people. Half of you don't even know what the whole situation is and the other half would do exactly what her parents are doing right now. Why blame Allie? I don't see any of you out there measuring the road, and for the county workers- I am truly sorry you were injured, but do you realize Allie is paralyzed? I hope you realize this money isn't for spending, it's for getting the Pomianowski's through. Any of you that have experienced medical bills before would known they cost an arm and a leg, and Allie's family has to pay them to keep her alive- if you have a problem with us raising money for Allie then don't be a part of it, that's all we ask. But don't go around speaking the wrong facts and misinforming people, stick to yourself. It does not do you any good being negative towards Allie. I hope you realize that and if you disagree with me, then that must be your opinion.
History mystery

Santa Cruz, CA

#215 Jan 19, 2013
I don't know the ultimate outcome of the lawsuit, but Allie Poniatowski died yesterday.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Soquel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's in John Colby's Trust Fund? 13 min BWAHAHA 1
Indymanure is circling the drain (Nov '14) 1 hr No Free Speech 38
Poll What does John Colby contribute to society? (Nov '15) 19 hr Joe Landon 74
Butch Baker was a Bad Cop (Mar '13) 19 hr woofers 200
Get a job ya whackjob (Jun '15) 21 hr Paul Mendoza 51
How many Welfare checks to pay off Capitol One (Jul '15) 21 hr Bob Mitchell 35
Famous quotes by ColbyLOON the evicted Welfare ... Mon Johns not sane 33

Soquel Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance