Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
166,041 - 166,060 of 200,565 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

destinythecreatorr wrote:
Awww but my friend is bi
That's nice fruitcake. Go play with him on the 5.
Mike the Pike

Glenn, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Next thing you know, marriage will be between a man and his dog!

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
ARe you serious??? Hollywood is the basis of your counter? That's priceless.
Do you understand your choice of example only validates the inability of gays to judge marriage and family? No marriage honoring or caring parent would equate with those examples.
Amazingly stupid...
Smirk.
OK... Let's look at "real America". In 2008, just over 40% of live births in this country were to single parent households. That's up from 18.4% in 1980.

I thought that evolutionary mating behavior (from a cross cultural perspective) depended on marriage.

Apparently not...

Don't throw gays under the bus just because you straight people can't seem to stay married.

Hundreds of thousands of us would love to be given the opportunity to marry someone for life.

You can't predict whether or not a gay couple will divorce any more than I can predict whether or not a straight couple will.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
If marriage is so f$cked up, why would you want to be a part of it? Kind of like buying a new car for MSRP with a blown engine if you ask me.
Because not all marriages are so fucked up (you can write the word out). Some do last.

Since you probably didn't read my post clearly, you likely missed the point I was making to Kimare. I was simply trying to point out that not all marriages are a cross cultural constraint on evolutionary mating behavior.

Many people enter into marriage for reasons other than to raise families.

If marriage was solely about the creation of families, then laws would be in place that mandated fertility testing prior to marriage. There would also be laws in place that would automatically dissolve a marriage if it did not produce an offspring.

Wouldn't you agree?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Because not all marriages are so fucked up (you can write the word out). Some do last.
Since you probably didn't read my post clearly, you likely missed the point I was making to Kimare. I was simply trying to point out that not all marriages are a cross cultural constraint on evolutionary mating behavior.
If marriage was solely about the creation of families, then laws would be in place that mandated fertility testing prior to marriage. There would also be laws in place that would automatically dissolve a marriage if it did not produce an offspring.
Wouldn't you agree?
The reason the government is in the marriage business at all is that marriage is good for society. It is a stabilizing influence and a family is the building block of society. Children play very heavily into this but it is true that they are not the only reason the government encourages marriage. Families without children and or having no intent or ability to have children are still beneficial to society.

I believe same sex, opposite sex, poly marriage and yes, incest marriage all deserve EQUAL consideration and respect, for they all contribute to a stable prosperous society.

And I believe SSM supporters who don't support polygamy and incest marriage are hypocrites.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to be centering your argument on the basis that they don't, and that is why same-sex marriage is a non-issue. Are you no longer interested in that line of reasoning?
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you probably didn't read my post clearly, you likely missed the point I was making to Kimare.
You hardly ever have a point, you simply post talking points over and over again. Most times they don't even relate to the post you are replying to.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I was simply trying to point out that not all marriages are a cross cultural constraint on evolutionary mating behavior.
Marriage is a social construct created by homo-sapiens.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Wouldn't you agree?
It doesn't matter if I agree or not. The historical basis for marriage, as the government regulates it in this country, was to protect and ensure stability for the children that could potentially be created from such a union. This is the entire reason the court has accepted that there is a State interest in marriage. If this is no longer the case, than what interest does the State have?

The State interest has always been in regards to "potential." You would know this if you would actually educate yourself rather than running around thinking any of your opinions have any basis if fact.

What is completely illogical, is a group of people not only inviting, but demanding the government regulate them.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Mike the Pike wrote:
Next thing you know, marriage will be between a man and his dog!
Some will say animals cannot give consent to marry, but we don't need their consent to kill and eat them, why should we need it to marry them?
Mike the Pike

Glenn, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Marriage is a biblically defined relationship which only identifies one man and one woman as the legitimate participants. Once this definition is cast aside by society, ultimatly there will be no bounds to what constitutes an eligible party to a marriage! Man and Man, Man and Woman, Man and Bird, Dog and Cat, Man and Dog, etc.

The logic is flawless!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>

Don't throw gays under the bus just because you straight people can't seem to stay married.
"Same-Sex Couple Fights for Right to Divorce in Maryland" http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Same-...

"Texas, USA: Dallas Gay Couple Still Seeking Divorce After Four Years"
http://purpleunions.com/blog/2013/01/texas-us...

"Rhode Island Judge Faces Legal Quandary as Gay Couple Seeks Divorce"
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,231473,00...

There are more, but why bother. But one must enjoy the irony. Here we have a group of people screaming that they must be granted the acknowledgement of the government to unite them as one in marriage- because it is a RIGHT and to prevent such would be an infringement on their FREEDOM.

Note the term's- RIGHT and FREEDOM.

Now, since they were granted that "right" and "freedom" they must now fight the GOVERNMENT for their "RIGHT" and "FREEDOM" to dissolve that "MARRIAGE".

The irony being, they are neither "FREE" nor are they exercising a "RIGHT." They are exercising a government granted PRIVILEGE!

Without that silly little piece of paper, they would have been FREE and within their RIGHT to unite or dissolve said union or marriage at WILL!

That my friends is freedom, at least as our founders would have defined it.
Mike the Pike

Glenn, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Consent will not be a problem. I have yet to hear a dog say the word "NO"!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to be centering your argument on the basis that they don't, and that is why same-sex marriage is a non-issue. Are you no longer interested in that line of reasoning?
<quoted text>
You hardly ever have a point, you simply post talking points over and over again. Most times they don't even relate to the post you are replying to.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
It doesn't matter if I agree or not. The historical basis for marriage, as the government regulates it in this country, was to protect and ensure stability for the children that could potentially be created from such a union. This is the entire reason the court has accepted that there is a State interest in marriage. If this is no longer the case, than what interest does the State have?
The State interest has always been in regards to "potential." You would know this if you would actually educate yourself rather than running around thinking any of your opinions have any basis if fact.
What is completely illogical, is a group of people not only inviting, but demanding the government regulate them.
Hmmmmm....ya know Ak.....that last line speaks volumes. I've thought it was odd the way SSMers would ague for the "freedom to marry" by asking the state to regulate their intimate personal relationship. It seems to contradict the desires result.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Because not all marriages are so fucked up (you can write the word out).
You can, some of us cannot. Some posters are more equal than others on Topix.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

What kind of loser rates posts over and over again many times?
Jissthefacts

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Must have been a typo or something like that.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>You Jackass
Nope. That's more your schtick.

And why would I rate my posts bad and yours good you big dummy? Boy are you stupid. Too funny!

P.S. Get an argument and get back to us.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You're of the opinion that you "know" quite a bit about this matter.

Tell me, why do you waste your time talking to us "idiots"?

If all of us are morons--ignorant and uneducated on the subjects of Constitutional law, marriage, etc., why do you bother coming here?

Shouldn't you be arguing in a courtroom? Shouldn't you offer your "valuable insight" to the real world?

I've pointed out your obvious flaw several times. You need to feel superior. You have anger issues.

What whips up such fury in someone like you?

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
"Same-Sex Couple Fights for Right to Divorce in Maryland" http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Same-...
"Texas, USA: Dallas Gay Couple Still Seeking Divorce After Four Years"
http://purpleunions.com/blog/2013/01/texas-us...
"Rhode Island Judge Faces Legal Quandary as Gay Couple Seeks Divorce"
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,231473,00...
There are more, but why bother. But one must enjoy the irony. Here we have a group of people screaming that they must be granted the acknowledgement of the government to unite them as one in marriage- because it is a RIGHT and to prevent such would be an infringement on their FREEDOM.
Note the term's- RIGHT and FREEDOM.
Now, since they were granted that "right" and "freedom" they must now fight the GOVERNMENT for their "RIGHT" and "FREEDOM" to dissolve that "MARRIAGE".
The irony being, they are neither "FREE" nor are they exercising a "RIGHT." They are exercising a government granted PRIVILEGE!
Without that silly little piece of paper, they would have been FREE and within their RIGHT to unite or dissolve said union or marriage at WILL!
That my friends is freedom, at least as our founders would have defined it.
Then throw all marriage out the window. Everyone is free to pair up, raise children, and then move on with their lives if they so choose.

We'll let churches own the word "marriage". Only those couples who are afraid of being damned to eternal hell would seek matrimony.

Let's just take government completely out of the business of marriage. No one gets rights or protections. Everyone--gay, straight, whatever--can fend for themselves.

Such a GREAT idea! Why didn't the founders think of that?
San Bernardino

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Athens services trash haulers strike again!

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_23118173/a...
San Bernardino

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Still cheating the public, Athens?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
You're of the opinion that you "know" quite a bit about this matter.
It's not "opinion", it's proven every time you are unable to provide a rational fact based retort.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me, why do you waste your time talking to us "idiots"?
Obama said to spread the wealth, so here I am.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
If all of us are morons--ignorant and uneducated on the subjects of Constitutional law, marriage, etc., why do you bother coming here?
You have self admitted that you are ignorant of the founding documents. So I figure you have two choices: 1) Remain so and keep looking like one -or- 2) Go educate yourself.

You seem to have chosen the latter.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Shouldn't you be arguing in a courtroom?
Perhaps I do, do you know?
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Shouldn't you offer your "valuable insight" to the real world?
Are you fake?
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I've pointed out your obvious flaw several times. You need to feel superior. You have anger issues.
Now you are just fabricating things in a sad attempt to save face.

You have been unable to point out a single flaw in my argument, and I am far from angry. For me to get angry with you, you would actually have to have the ability to effect my life. You don't, though your delusions of grandeur are comical.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
What whips up such fury in someone like you?
Where is the fury? The only anger I see is coming from you, you seem a bit upset about consistently having your ass handed to you.

Take note of your response here, you haven't even attempted to respond to a single question I posed to you, my guess is you lack the ability to. You have only presented two forms of replies to me: 1) A personal attack such as the one you presented here -or- 2) A rant of random talking points that have nothing to do with the subject matter.

Really it is pretty sad for someone who claims to hold a MSW. I would consider requesting a refund of my tuition if I were you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Soquel Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Soquel People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Soquel News, Events & Info