Sexual harassment not OK

Santa Cruz, CA

#41 Jul 29, 2013
Stop sexual harassment in agriculture

July 27, 2013 11:27:00 PM

The Seattle Times editorial board

The enduring legacy of a recent PBS "Frontline" documentary will be the light shed on a subject deep in the shadows:
sexual assault in the U.S. agricultural industry.
From the nation's largest apple-growing operation, northwest of Yakima, Wash., to the citrus groves of Florida, women have been assaulted for generations.

"Rape in the Fields" details the human, legal and economic issues at play and, most important, sends the message the behavior will no longer occur with anonymous impunity.

The documentary is the work of the Center for Investigative Reporting in Berkeley and the Investigative Reporting Program at the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism.

U.S. agriculture employs 560,000 women on U.S. farms. As the report notes, their vulnerability is compounded by their immigration status, poverty and the abject terror of losing a paycheck. Personal shame also deters reporting the assaults.

One of the stark revelations of the documentary is the near absence of criminal prosecutions. Even the willingness to investigate is compromised by a lack of physical evidence, few witnesses and, in some cases, a lack of training for local law enforcement and prosecutors.
The assaults can quickly devolve into he-said/she-said disputes. Overall, the effect is to create an environment where women who have been raped and abused remain silent. The federal government puts the estimate at 65 percent, according to the report.

This past spring a federal jury in Yakima rejected all the sexual-harassment claims against Evans Fruit Co.

The jury concluded that despite what might have happened, the company did not create a sexually hostile work environment.

Between 2005 and 2012, nearly 100 cases of alleged sexual harassment across Washington were reported by farm laborers to the state Human Rights Commission. Two-thirds were dismissed, and two dozen cases remain open.
Putting companies on notice that attention is being paid is a big step.
"Rape in the Fields" is an extraordinary piece of journalism that sheds light on vulnerable women who are put in harm's way by a willingness to do hard work to support themselves and their families.

Read more: http://www.appeal-democrat.com/articles/women...
Not a TBSC Member

Santa Cruz, CA

#42 Jul 29, 2013
vvOt wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you bring a video of a man being roughly handled by a cop. I suppose the entire world and civil rights are coming to an end. In truth, you're a cop hater and use the internet to trash them anonymously. Oh, and thank you for sharing that you are Brent Adams.
He is not Brent Adams. Just a member of the Brent Adams fan club.
Brent hates cops and any form authority but he is not as deranged as John.
Reality Check

Hayward, CA

#43 Jul 30, 2013
DBS wrote:
No John, nobody gives a crap about your fraudulent allegations.
So you are saying the accusations by that group of women that Officer Baker molested them were all false?

All of them were lying about Officer Baker?

“Nullum Gratuitum Prandium.”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#44 Jul 30, 2013
The countdown continues. 48 days...

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic...
Donny B

Santa Cruz, CA

#45 Jul 30, 2013
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are saying the accusations by that group of women that Officer Baker molested them were all false?
All of them were lying about Officer Baker?
I heard that you molested 3 sheep, John.

Why are you not denying that? I think the sheep should sue you.

“The buck stops here!”

Scotts Valley

#46 Jul 30, 2013
Donny B wrote:
<quoted text>
He'll have more opportunity to indulge his perversions after he's evicted and living outdoors in just 48 days!

“Nullum Gratuitum Prandium.”

Location hidden

#47 Jul 30, 2013
Donny B wrote:
<quoted text>
A VERY poor attempt to post as me.
IndybayFail

Santa Cruz, CA

#48 Jul 30, 2013
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
We were talking about bad cops, so I introduced some violent cop footage, and footage of a violent wannabe cop (Skindog Collins).
If I was Brent Adams I would probably know more about when those women accused Officer Baker of molesting them.
No, we were talking about Butch Baker and a molestation allegation that you have been sharing with us on Topix.

If you think Skindog was a wannabe cop in that video, you must not have been around Santa Cruz very long. Back in the day, kids I went to school with rolled homeless all the time. You think it's bad now, "I can't sleep, I can't have a blanket, I can't poop without a bathroom." Years ago, your precious homeless really got beat down, without ordinances, they got the poop kicked out of them for disrespecting locals. Nowadays it's homeless killing homeless, you all turn on each other cause of drug addiction failures. If you were Brent Adams, you definitely would know more about Santa Cruz. Activism is trendy, right? Kumbayah.
WooF is sick

Santa Cruz, CA

#49 Jul 30, 2013
he sanctions and glorifies violence against (disabled) homeless people.
WooF

Hayward, CA

#50 Jul 30, 2013
WooF is sick wrote:
Go play with yourself John. That's probably the only thing you can't f*ck up!
John is Sick

Santa Cruz, CA

#51 Jul 30, 2013
WooF is sick wrote:
Sgt Baker died while trying to arrest a sexual assault suspect. The man is a hero.

Your baseless accusations are sick and reprehensible.
Reality Check

Alamo, CA

#52 Jul 30, 2013
John is Sick wrote:
<quoted text>
Sgt Baker died while trying to arrest a sexual assault suspect. The man is a hero.
Your baseless accusations are sick and reprehensible.
From what I have heard, the women say Butch Baker was a pervert, and he molested them while on duty during stops. The held a public news conference witnessed by many in the community.

The man who killed him was also a pervert who raped a woman in the military.

And they were both trained by our government.

You pick strange heroes.
Reality Check

Alamo, CA

#53 Jul 30, 2013
IndybayFail wrote:
<quoted text>
No, we were talking about Butch Baker and a molestation allegation that you have been sharing with us on Topix.
If you think Skindog was a wannabe cop in that video, you must not have been around Santa Cruz very long. Back in the day, kids I went to school with rolled homeless all the time. You think it's bad now, "I can't sleep, I can't have a blanket, I can't poop without a bathroom." Years ago, your precious homeless really got beat down, without ordinances, they got the poop kicked out of them for disrespecting locals. Nowadays it's homeless killing homeless, you all turn on each other cause of drug addiction failures. If you were Brent Adams, you definitely would know more about Santa Cruz. Activism is trendy, right? Kumbayah.
What bad things have you done to homeless people?
DBS

Sunnyvale, CA

#54 Jul 30, 2013
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I have heard, the women say Butch Baker was a pervert, and he molested them while on duty during stops. The held a public news conference witnessed by many in the community.
And in WHAT Court of Law was he found guilty of ANYTHING??????

You place a high value in hearsay.

But when 28 of your neighbors claim you're a child molester and circulate a petition to get you evicted(successfully), that's "DIFFERENT"!!!!

Why do unfounded accusations only count when YOU want them to????
Del

San Francisco, CA

#55 Jul 30, 2013
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
Where exactly did you hear this, and who exactly held this press conference, witnessed by whom?
DBS

Sunnyvale, CA

#56 Jul 30, 2013
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>

You pick strange heroes.
So do YOU!!

Your "Hero" is Robert Kahnjob, the walking,talking rectal polyp, the multi-millionaire that exploits the misery of the Homeless for his own crackpot empowerment crusade.

But he never contributes anything, or helps anyone but himself.
Del

San Francisco, CA

#57 Jul 30, 2013
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
Where exactly did you hear this, and who held a public news conference witnessed by whom, exactly?

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#58 Jul 30, 2013
Steve Clark wrote:
Saw this comment on Indybay.
Does anyone know if it is true that SCPD Officer Butch Baker molested nine women?
I heard the Santa Cruz Police Department covered it up?
"i got harassed off the park-side court steps on 12-15-2011 by one these cop wannabes and 2 other who knows what. it was around noon, so the curfew signs did not apply. i had no witnesses though, and who knows what lies they would have made up for court. one should pick your battles, so i left.
on the other hand, at peace camp 2010 some of them were very polite.
when the City hires them to protect public property, they become state actors, and the City is subject to lawsuits for their behavior, just like regular cops.
so file complaints with the City Clerk about any abuses they commit.
it is in the City's interest to get rid of any abusive rent-a-pig right away. unlike a government employed cop who is almost impossible to get rid of. the late Butch Baker molested 9 women yet still kept his job.
also the rent-a-pigs are much cheaper per hour and they don't get 90% pensions after 30 years like the cops do. so expect the City to expand their numbers while shrinking the regular cops' numbers. after all over 40% of SC's finest spend their time on homeless 'crime' like panhandling in the wrong spot or sitting down without a permit.
shite, we could deputize girl-scouts to deal with that kind of crime for the price of a few cookies."
https://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2013/06/24/...
Your the crim, butch gave his life for us and you dog him out and his family? Why?
John is Sick

Santa Cruz, CA

#59 Jul 30, 2013
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I have heard Butch Baker was a pervert.
The man who killed him was also a pervert who raped a woman in the military.
And they were both trained by our government.
You pick strange heroes.
This is an example of Sick John Logic.
I call Baker a hero. Somehow John twists it to conclude that I think both Baker and his killer are heroes.

Baker's killer was no hero.

No wonder that John's employers got rid of him.

No wonder that his neighbors are soon to get rid of him.

No wonder that this forum would like to get rid of him.

John begone.
Reality Check

Foster City, CA

#60 Jul 30, 2013
DBS wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do unfounded accusations only count when YOU want them to????
I would ask you the same question.

I'm sure you remember when Baker was accused of molesting the women.

Why don't you share you recollections?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Soquel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The latest from Dr John Colon Colby 14 hr whittlezman 10
Review: Los Aguayo Glass & Windows Corp. 19 hr Franny 1
Indoor block party aims to create sense of Sant... Wed DRSA solved 37
Arrests in Hayward shooting that left 2 teens dead (May '10) Tue DaisyAvila 24
CURE-For DRSA DRUGS!!!!! Diarrhea medication!!! Jan 26 DRSA CURED 1
Laurent St. Santa Cruz-Public DRSA walkaround p... Jan 26 WSCA 4
Bonny Doon airport for sale for $3.2 million (May '09) Jan 26 Sam 31
Soquel Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web