As You See It, Oct. 6, 2010: Fluoride vote anything but 'praiseworthy'

Full story: Santa Cruz Sentinel

Fluoride vote anything but praiseworthy' I am saddened that the Sentinel has allowed the Praiseworthy column to be used to render accolades upon the council members of Watsonville who have decided to medicate the residents whether they have teeth or not, whether they want it or not, and regardless of its questionable efficacy "[L]aboratory and ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of68
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
jwillie6

Lafayette, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Judged:

Isn't it strange in the U.S., doctors cannot force one person to take a drug, yet the government wants to put it in our drinking water and force everyone to be drugged with fluoride, a prescription drug, against their will and with no medical supervision, no control over how much you consume and no treatment for side effects.
The fluoridation of drinking water is one of the cruelest hoaxes ever perpetrated against the public in the history of mankind. Fluoride used is actually an industrial waste product from the manufacture of fertilizer and aluminum, and is second to mercury as the most toxic substance known. It contains lead, arsenic, mercury, radium, and other contaminants. Most of Europe (16 countries) has rejected fluoridation and is 98% fluoride free. and the WHO reports that they have a better tooth decay rate than any fluoridated country.
There is no scientific evidence to support the idea that drinking fluoridated water has any effect on cavity reduction — NONE! The best source for information on the health hazards and ineffectiveness of fluoridation can be found here:( www.fluoridealert.org ).
Trish

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Judged:

Is it correct that Martinelli's, one of Watsonvilles's biggest employers, can not use the flouridated water? What does this mean for this company, a locally owned business with a world wide reputation.

If the target for the flouride is mostly young children and they drink mostly bottled water what is the point? Better to ban candy and sodas (never going to happen) and educate moms that putting a child to bed with a bottle of milk is not good for the teeth. I see too many children with decaying teeth or metal capped teeth.

Since: Feb 08

Santa Cruz

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Judged:

Trish wrote:
Is it correct that Martinelli's, one of Watsonvilles's biggest employers, can not use the flouridated water? What does this mean for this company, a locally owned business with a world wide reputation.
If the target for the flouride is mostly young children and they drink mostly bottled water what is the point? Better to ban candy and sodas (never going to happen) and educate moms that putting a child to bed with a bottle of milk is not good for the teeth. I see too many children with decaying teeth or metal capped teeth.
Metal capped baby teeth even,because MediCal pays more for them than fillings.

“On your left”

Since: May 08

Watsonville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Judged:

Martinelli's will have to drill its own well with over $300K of it's own money. The City of Watsonville will loose them as a $500k/year water customer.
Hector

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Judged:

The numbers become pretty big when you address such a huge problem as this. It is far more worth it to the City to lose $500k/yr on a water bill, than it is for the CITY to lose millions in dismal well-being and productivity of residents because of dental issues.
Dan Young wrote:
Martinelli's will have to drill its own well with over $300K of it's own money. The City of Watsonville will loose them as a $500k/year water customer.
The Same Clothe

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Judged:

I can't stand Scott Kennedy and I also can't stand the duplicitous Ron Pomerantz.
Santa Cruz needs new leadership, not more baby-boom so-called progressives.
It's time for a change. I'm voting for Bryant and Terrazas.
Watsonville water user

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Judged:

This passed because Mayor Alejo received over $30,000 in direct contributions from the fluoride lobby plus indirect contributions from independent PACs aligned with the fluoride lobby - and he received votes from the three fellow council members aupporting his campaign. From his "Alejo for Assembly" web page:

WATSONVILLE CITY COUNCIL
Antonio Rivas, District 3 Councilmember
Kimberly Petersen, District 4 Councilmember
Manuel Bersamin, District 1 Councilmember

Please note that the three active council members not listed as his campaign supporters (Bilicich, Martinez & Caput) strongly opposed fluoridation and two of them called for Alejo to abstain from voting due to his financial conflict. Politics won and the Watsonville community lost with this vote.

“I'm the One!”

Since: Apr 10

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Judged:

Hector wrote:
The numbers become pretty big when you address such a huge problem as this. It is far more worth it to the City to lose $500k/yr on a water bill, than it is for the CITY to lose millions in dismal well-being and productivity of residents because of dental issues.
<quoted text>
Or they could offer free 30-day doses at every government building for any resident that wants them. A less costly distribution method, solves the "topical" vs "ingestion" problem, and doesn't force the chemical on people that don't want it.

But we're really not trying to solve a dental issue here, are we?

Spare us all of this "it's for the kids." It's for the money, and Alejo is a shill, and that is obvious to 99.8% of the people that look at the situation for even a minute.
AlejoGottaGo

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Judged:

Our little local weasel strikes again.
Poor Robin Tuson

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Judged:

Let me give you a civics lesson: Your comment "They do not deserve praise for circumventing the will of the people. To me, freedom means freedom to choose." Apparently you have not been following this case very closely. State Law pre-empts a local vote which the organizers knew ahead of time. It was simply a waste of time. It was simply a symbolic protest vote that also wasted money. Teabaggers make this same silly argument time and again. The city council simply followed state law. We are a country of laws. Your suggestion that the "will of the people" should prevail over the rule of law shows how little teabaggers understand a free and democratic society. Your desires do not trump the will of the people. The City Council represents the voters. Plain and simple. No diatribe, however well meaning can change this.

Since: Feb 08

Santa Cruz

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Sarah L Palin wrote:
<quoted text>
Or they could offer free 30-day doses at every government building for any resident that wants them. A less costly distribution method, solves the "topical" vs "ingestion" problem, and doesn't force the chemical on people that don't want it.
But we're really not trying to solve a dental issue here, are we?
Spare us all of this "it's for the kids." It's for the money, and Alejo is a shill, and that is obvious to 99.8% of the people that look at the situation for even a minute.
This actually makes good sense, in theory. But in actuality it will probably work no better than free condoms do in prevnting teen pregnancies.(those who need it most won't take advantage of the offer)
Little Ricky

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Judged:

Martinelli is more interested in his pocket book than preventing tooth decay and disease in children. What does that say about his character. To the alarmists that decry fluoride I suggest you drink filtered water. It's not that hard to figure out unless your intelligence quotient is compromised. What crackpot issue will the flouride ludites cry about next ?
Reality Check

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Judged:

Trish wrote:
...If the target for the fluoride is mostly young children and they drink mostly bottled water what is the point? Better to ban candy and sodas (never going to happen) and educate moms that putting a child to bed with a bottle of milk is not good for the teeth. I see too many children with decaying teeth or metal capped teeth.
This bears repeating.
Organic Farmer

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Judged:

the same people who do not want fluoride are the same people who think it is ok to spray pesticides (the moth)over the population against their will. how do you self-serving teabaggers reconcile this hypocrisy ?
Mr Right

Vacaville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Judged:

"but kudos to the candidates who were making a difference long before they decided to run for elected office.

Joe Reyes, Santa Cruz"

Can you give me an example ..... just one will do Joe.
Pedro Romilio Sanchez

Vacaville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Judged:

Keith Moon for Santa Cruz City Council. I am a broke hungry illegal alien with many mijos running around and I can't afford tooth care of car insurance. Two of my sons are Surenos because the schools were not able to keep them interested in learning their native language first before learning the English. I think Keith Moon will help all of us who need assistance and are shunned by the rich conservatives. Keith will keep this town the way it is which is good for all of us. If you are a liberal, poor, Mexican or Blanco Basura, jobless, and/or homeless please vote for Keith Moon he will do the people right.
Moon Delusional

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Judged:

What has Mr. Moon done for this community besides living here for a long time? Is that a qualification for office ? Has he volunteered for anything ? He has a person working for him named bjurman who constantly writes nasty racist letters to the editor. For that reason alone I would never support him. Also, what is one right wing teabagger going to do when all the other candidates are more liberal? You need a majority to pass actions. Who else will he get to vote with him to make a majority? Can anyone who supports him name those other council members that will vote with him? Did'nt think so.
Alejo rat is back

Berkeley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Judged:

Looks like Luis Alejo or one of his Brown Beret weasels is back again, doing what they do everytime any criticism of Alejo appears on a thread...flooding it with posts having different names but the same Santa Cruz provider address ridiculing his critics. Sure examples today are posts #11, 13, 16 & 18. Looks like they even opened with post #10 appearing to attack Alejo just to try throwing us off. But you'll have to be more clever than that "Little Ricky" if you want to protect "Shrimp Luis" with your Marxist disinformation tactics.
Randy

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Judged:

the anti Alejo forum monitor (#20) has a curious fixation with Mayor Alejo. Some might say it is downright eerie. Perhaps if you spent that energy helping a senior citizen or someone less fortunate than you you might not be so angry and you might not repeat your self hating conduct. Thankfully we don't get much of that here in Santa Cruz. Mr. Alejo must be doing a good job down there if someone like #20 has become so fixated. It sounds personal dude...might want to get some good counseling.
I Was There

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Judged:

Poor Robin Tuson wrote:
The city council simply followed state law.
Yeah right Emperor Alejo, you keep banging the same drum. Most of us know what you are and that you will do anything for campaign money and a vote.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of68
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Soquel Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Soquel Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••