Cops and Courts blog: Marquis sentenc...

Cops and Courts blog: Marquis sentenced to seven years for killing Arizona teen at bonfire

There are 31 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Dec 8, 2008, titled Cops and Courts blog: Marquis sentenced to seven years for killing Arizona teen at bonfire. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Mateo Marquis, the man convicted of killing an Arizona teen at a beach bonfire in Live Oak in June 2007, was sentence to seven years by Judge Samuel Stevens on Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
IN MATEOS DEFENSE

San Jose, CA

#27 Dec 17, 2008
OK, SO MAYBE YOU JUST DON'T READ THE PAPER? OR WATCH THE NEWS? KIDS DO GET STABBED ALL THE TIME IN THIS COUNTY!! IT'S PRACTICALLY A MONTHLY OCCURRENCE. BUT I'M NOT SAYING THAT JUST BECAUSE IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME THAT IT MEANS ITS OK, THAT'S NOT WHAT I SAID!! I WAS SIMPLY SAYING THAT IT DOESN'T MEAN HE INTENDED TO KILL SOMEONE...WHOEVER YOU ARE, YOU ARE VERY IGNORANT, AND I WILL PRAY FOR YOUR SOUL TOO BECAUSE YOU ARE JUST AS BAD FOR SAYING THAT YOU WISH DEATH UPON SOMEONE. I MEAN COME ON...CONTRADICT YOURSELF MUCH?! <LAUGHING AT YOUR IGNORANCE>
Don

San Jose, CA

#28 Dec 17, 2008
IN MATEOS DEFENSE wrote:
OK, SO MAYBE YOU JUST DON'T READ THE PAPER? OR WATCH THE NEWS? KIDS DO GET STABBED ALL THE TIME IN THIS COUNTY!! IT'S PRACTICALLY A MONTHLY OCCURRENCE. BUT I'M NOT SAYING THAT JUST BECAUSE IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME THAT IT MEANS ITS OK, THAT'S NOT WHAT I SAID!! I WAS SIMPLY SAYING THAT IT DOESN'T MEAN HE INTENDED TO KILL SOMEONE...WHOEVER YOU ARE, YOU ARE VERY IGNORANT, AND I WILL PRAY FOR YOUR SOUL TOO BECAUSE YOU ARE JUST AS BAD FOR SAYING THAT YOU WISH DEATH UPON SOMEONE. I MEAN COME ON...CONTRADICT YOURSELF MUCH?! <LAUGHING AT YOUR IGNORANCE>
So how many kids have you stabbed? How many knife fights have you gotten into?
Reality Check

San Francisco, CA

#29 Dec 17, 2008
IN MATEOS DEFENSE wrote:
...AND FOR ANYONE WHO DOESN'T KNOW, HE WAS OUT NUMBERED IN THIS FIGHT BY 6-14 PEOPLE!! MATEO ONLY STABBED HIM ONCE AND ALTHOUGH WE ALL KNOW THAT WAS STUPID HE DEFINITELY DID NOT INTEND TO TAKE A LIFE!!...
And why was he outnumbered? Because they attempted to crash a party.

He only stabbed him once (from behind)? He didn't want to kill him, just make hime bleed a bit?? If so, why stab the torso, and not the arm or leg - it's not like the guy saw it coming.
Yep

Watsonville, CA

#30 Dec 17, 2008
IN MATEOS DEFENSE wrote:
OK, SO MAYBE YOU JUST DON'T READ THE PAPER? OR WATCH THE NEWS? KIDS DO GET STABBED ALL THE TIME IN THIS COUNTY!! IT'S PRACTICALLY A MONTHLY OCCURRENCE. BUT I'M NOT SAYING THAT JUST BECAUSE IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME THAT IT MEANS ITS OK, THAT'S NOT WHAT I SAID!! I WAS SIMPLY SAYING THAT IT DOESN'T MEAN HE INTENDED TO KILL SOMEONE...WHOEVER YOU ARE, YOU ARE VERY IGNORANT, AND I WILL PRAY FOR YOUR SOUL TOO BECAUSE YOU ARE JUST AS BAD FOR SAYING THAT YOU WISH DEATH UPON SOMEONE. I MEAN COME ON...CONTRADICT YOURSELF MUCH?! <LAUGHING AT YOUR IGNORANCE>
Well, thank you very much for praying for me. Thank you, thank you kindly.No, I don't contradict myself. It's okay to wish death upon someone evil. In all your ranting, I didn't see you praying for Tommy Paz, just his family. and you say "I guarantee he will be a different man when he gets out of prison." How do you "guarantee" that? Your guarantee is nothing but an empty phrase. Are you gonna give the Paz family a million dollars if ol' Mateo gets into trouble after he gets out? Oh, I am sure he'll be a different guy after prison. He'll be worse. He'll be baaad, homes!! Which gang will he claim? Norteno or Sureno? Nuestra Familia or La Eme? Can't walk alone out there in the yard. Gonna have to claim affiliation, or he'll get shanked by both sides!! And won't that be ironic justice!
Bob

San Jose, CA

#31 Dec 18, 2008
Mateo already claims Sureno.
Redact

Oxnard, CA

#32 Dec 18, 2008
Bob wrote:
Mateo already claims Sureno.
Did you even listen to the trial? "Midtown Mafia, OPM" was what he stated, not "sur," "sureno," or "southerner"
Reality Check

San Francisco, CA

#33 Dec 18, 2008
Oh, it was a DIFFERENT gang. Nevermind then. :rolleyes:
Boulder Bob

San Jose, CA

#34 Dec 18, 2008
Bob wrote:
Mateo already claims Sureno.
He'll have just a few blue, blue, blue Christmases without mama.
eastside love

Butte, MT

#35 Jan 11, 2009
i know im right . any one not from santa cruz cant say shit. you dont what its like to grow up here. this kinda shit happens here cuz punks come from all over and disrespect our home where we can barely get by. im sorry to tommys family but let it be a lesson to all. dont come here if your not willing to check yourselves. we dont want to but will. love to all real locals, EAST or west ,dont go changin
OHG2AZ

Glendale, AZ

#36 May 5, 2009
All you bleeding hearts that "love" Mateo, just ask yourselves these question? Would you be so ready to forgive and forget if it was one of your loved ones? Would you be willing to turn your back to Mateo, now knowing that he has killed someone? And for those that "grew up" with him, it tell us a lot about you. Yes, he will change, but at least he gets to change, he will be different, yes, he will be different. But he gets to live, go on with his life (if someone else doens't kill him) or he doesn't kill someone else.

But Tommy will be forever 16...no life, no family, no wife, no children, no change, no nothing. Gone forever, no longer will we hear his voice, see his smile, look forward to his hugs, watch him play baseball.

And who pays the price, he did with his life, and his parents and family. Because of a stupid drunk coward by the name of Mateo, who took the life. Just remember, it's not what happens here on earth, it's what going to happen when we die and meet our maker...and I wouldn't want to be Mateo when this happens.

We need to keep this going, this story needs to be told over and over again. And when you see Mateo coming, don't turn your back on him, just back up as fast as you can and get away from him. 7 years isn't a long time, it's not long enough for the life of a special young man like Tommy!
Enrique

Yuma, AZ

#38 Apr 7, 2013
OHG2AZ wrote:
All you bleeding hearts that "love" Mateo, just ask yourselves these question? Would you be so ready to forgive and forget if it was one of your loved ones? Would you be willing to turn your back to Mateo, now knowing that he has killed someone? And for those that "grew up" with him, it tell us a lot about you. Yes, he will change, but at least he gets to change, he will be different, yes, he will be different. But he gets to live, go on with his life (if someone else doens't kill him) or he doesn't kill someone else.
But Tommy will be forever 16...no life, no family, no wife, no children, no change, no nothing. Gone forever, no longer will we hear his voice, see his smile, look forward to his hugs, watch him play baseball.
And who pays the price, he did with his life, and his parents and family. Because of a stupid drunk coward by the name of Mateo, who took the life. Just remember, it's not what happens here on earth, it's what going to happen when we die and meet our maker...and I wouldn't want to be Mateo when this happens.
We need to keep this going, this story needs to be told over and over again. And when you see Mateo coming, don't turn your back on him, just back up as fast as you can and get away from him. 7 years isn't a long time, it's not long enough for the life of a special young man like Tommy!
Y'all are right. Mateo is bitch made. Punk. Since 7th grade and I knew him trying to fight kids on the soccer field.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Soquel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Santa Cruz homeless services facing cuts 3 min Teena 84
Hows the alcohol search going Tom ??? 9 min WooF 5
The Jimmy Springer Show 11 min WooF 40
How's the job search going John 1 hr The Truth Hurts 3
FAT Pat should get a job at Chubbyland 1 hr WooF 3
News Live Oak woman arrested for hit-and-run that in... (Nov '09) 15 hr Joseph McCann-Ross 30
News "Eat Fresh Robber" wanted for string of robberi... May 15 AMBM 3
More from around the web

Soquel People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]