Local health care providers seek reli...

Local health care providers seek relief from pay cut

There are 26 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Aug 20, 2008, titled Local health care providers seek relief from pay cut. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Six weeks into a 10 percent state cutback in payment for doctors treating Medi-Cal patients, Dr.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jo Gusto

United States

#1 Aug 20, 2008
I hope people remember these stories the next time they start yelling about "our taxes are too high" and demanding tax cuts and rebates, especially of budget surpluses.

California gave back surpluses years ago, instead of banking them for a rainy day. Now that bird has come home to roost, with tragic results for those who rely on safety nets provided by the government.
john doe

San Francisco, CA

#2 Aug 20, 2008
It isn't just the state either. The feds don't pay Santa Cruz doctors, anywhere near what they get for Medi-Care patients over the hill. There is another lawsuit in court over this double standard too.

Your brain dead Congress decided that Santa Cruz county is a "rural area" not entitled to equal payments for the same services. Ask Sam Farr about this screw job...
john doe

San Francisco, CA

#3 Aug 20, 2008
We can't even post the word $crewj0b here either. On the other hand you can write KCUF and TIHS backwards on the SENILE's new Forum. Nice work you azzi9 PURITANS..
Watsonville mom

Santa Cruz, CA

#4 Aug 20, 2008
I hope people remember these stories the next time universal socialized health care shows up on the ballot. These stories are very good examples of why government should not be in the health care business. Politicians and bureaucrats deciding whether/when I can see a doctor? No, thank you.
I hope

San Jose, CA

#5 Aug 20, 2008
I hope people remember that "Watsonville mom",(Who just posted,) is the center of the universe.
MollyWolly

Hayward, CA

#6 Aug 20, 2008
People in Congress should have to have Medicare also. Maybe things would be different.
To John doe

San Jose, CA

#7 Aug 20, 2008
Nice work. Love the irreverence with my morning coffee.
Bethany Kientzel

San Jose, CA

#8 Aug 20, 2008
My real name for an honest comment.
Santa Cruz Women's Health Care is a top notch facility. It isn't just for low income folks. People with regular insurance can and should go there also. It is the most professional, respectful, and knowledgeable group of people in a doctors office I have come in to contact with.
They should not only be first on the list for grant money, but they should be a model used for health care facilities everywhere. Treating everyone with equal respect whether they live in a car or a house up on the hill, Santa Cruz Women's Health Center truly embraces the human condition with forward thinking ideals and practices. Show them the money! Dr. Patrick Meehan for president!
Marty

Petaluma, CA

#9 Aug 20, 2008
Watsonville mom must have health care coverage through work. Such coverage is not a gift from your employer, you pay for it. I paid $500 a month for my health care covaerage (single person) and I now pay $95 a month for Medicare. Medicare has worked since 1960, the US is one of the few advanced nations in the world that does not have universal health care coverage. Those nations with it pay one third to one half less per capita for health care with better outcomes. The health care industry is a mega-industry and has the $$$ and motivation to fight universal health care coverage. Medicare is not socialized medicine. Under Medicare I can choose my own doctor. Medicare in Santa Cruz is in crisis because of the rural designation. It works very well everywhere else. Private insurance will not take you if you have a pre-existing condition, Medicare will. Private coverage is not competative. Please do some research on the internet, we all need to be informed on this issue. Medicare for all, not just seniors, is the way to go.
Ray in Santa Cruz

San Carlos, CA

#10 Aug 20, 2008
Marty wrote:
Watsonville mom must have health care coverage through work. Such coverage is not a gift from your employer, you pay for it. I paid $500 a month for my health care covaerage (single person) and I now pay $95 a month for Medicare. Medicare has worked since 1960, the US is one of the few advanced nations in the world that does not have universal health care coverage. Those nations with it pay one third to one half less per capita for health care with better outcomes. The health care industry is a mega-industry and has the $$$ and motivation to fight universal health care coverage. Medicare is not socialized medicine. Under Medicare I can choose my own doctor. Medicare in Santa Cruz is in crisis because of the rural designation. It works very well everywhere else. Private insurance will not take you if you have a pre-existing condition, Medicare will. Private coverage is not competative. Please do some research on the internet, we all need to be informed on this issue. Medicare for all, not just seniors, is the way to go.
Marty, Your monthly Medicare premium and deductible and co-pays only covers 25% of the cost of the program. The rest is paid for by salaried workers. As more people reach the 65 year old mark, the new enrollees will expand the number of recipients to the point the program will run a deficit. Then what? More taxes? Nope, cut in benefits increase in co-pay and deductible or raising the eligibilty age.

Oh, and as to the rural designation for the County, at the time Santa Cruz County was designated rural, it had half the population and was proud to be designated rural and reap the benefits that description gave the County then. The fact that the County is no longer rural only highlights the point that government is very very slow to adjust how it's largess is distributed.
Pat

Petaluma, CA

#11 Aug 20, 2008
Contact Sam Farr's office and tell them the Meidcare situation in Santa Cruz is in crisis (he knows that) and needs to be fixed NOW. We lose too many good doctors because of this and if you are new to Santa Cruz on Medicare you go over the hill. Oh great, seniors have to drive Hyw. 17 to see a doctorl Yes, I agree all of our legislators, state and federal, should be on Medicare. We have to be pre-active, rattle their cages. let them know we want it fixed.
wildman

Santa Cruz, CA

#12 Aug 20, 2008
It is a shame the government is avoiding their primary responsibility of caring for those less fortunate. It will be the poorest amongst us who will be hurt by the cuts to doctors.
Pat

Petaluma, CA

#13 Aug 20, 2008
Ooops, Medicare is misspelled in the previous post. Medicare does not cover vision.
real problem

Daly City, CA

#14 Aug 20, 2008
If we didn't have to spend all the money on health care for illegals or deporting them, then there would be more money for the people who are here and can't afford it. Isnít there a universal health care system in Mexico, oh thatís right it is called America land of the free ride!
patontheback2

Sunnyvale, CA

#15 Aug 20, 2008
Stop the invasion!
Argentina

Santa Cruz, CA

#16 Aug 20, 2008
real problem wrote:
If we didn't have to spend all the money on health care for illegals or deporting them, then there would be more money for the people who are here and can't afford it. Isnít there a universal health care system in Mexico, oh thatís right it is called America land of the free ride!
Funny. That man in the picture looks awful white to be a "Mexican". The only "real problem"? Is your ignorance cutting off your brain circulation.
Your brain is showing

Anaheim, CA

#17 Aug 20, 2008
"real problem" and "pat on the back" should move in together so that they can have their own mutual admiration society, and quit bothering the rest of us with their unmitigated hate.
What planet are you from

Richmond, CA

#18 Aug 20, 2008
Since when is the governments job to take care of those less fortunate?

What is wrong with getting a job and fending for yourselves? It's amazing to me that Democrats fight for services yet not many of them actually work for a living or pay taxes that pays for such benefits.

Ignorance is all of you who don't think the illegal immigration is causing us problems with all services. If services were NOT provided to those here illegally there would be no need for cuts. Get a clue.

http://www.capsweb.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php...
Argentina

Santa Cruz, CA

#19 Aug 20, 2008
Your brain is showing wrote:
"real problem" and "pat on the back" should move in together so that they can have their own mutual admiration society, and quit bothering the rest of us with their unmitigated hate.
*Applause* And don't forget, they can live happily ever after too!
Vicki

Redding, CA

#20 Aug 20, 2008
Pat wrote:
Ooops, Medicare is misspelled in the previous post. Medicare does not cover vision.
I don't think Medicare covers dental either. At least that's what my 83 year old dad told me.
Also, where I am working at now, they had to do away with any kind of medical, dental and vision benifits(even if we paid part of the premium ourselves). I drive 40 miles round trip to work and the gas prices are killing me,(just went down, too ($4.55 a gallon too. I will probulary apply for CMSP(a notch above med-ical(since I make $8.00 an hour, 40 hours a week for a single person)(I'm looking for a job closer to home. This is a county run program, where you have to check in every 3 months to make sure you still qualify. I moved up here to Modoc County thinking it might be a little easier, but, it is hitting almost everyone hard everywhere! I drive to a Walmart to get my meds for $4.00 per 30 pills, otherwise I would be paying about $80.00 a week at Rite Aid in Alturas, CA. Be thankful if you still have health benefits, I miss them and RHS, I worked for the PVUSD for 10 years! That's enough out of me, Hello Santa Cruz and Monterey Counties!:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Soquel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hairy bigfoot guy walked by my tent in Marin 1 hr Paul Mendoza 2
News Santa Cruz mother, son arrested in Capitola hom... (Nov '13) 1 hr Paul Mendoza 11
Is Santa Cruz County legal system a giant Gay o... 1 hr Ohhh Jeffie 3
News Pair arrested in downtown Santa Cruz for spray ... 22 hr The Truth Hurts 16
News Ticket's in the mail: Red-light cameras questioned (Mar '09) 22 hr Lynn 58
FAT Pat is lying on cfab. (Feb '14) 23 hr The Truth Hurts 17
Get a job ya whackjob Fri The Truth Hurts 16
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Soquel Mortgages