After 41 years in law enforcement, UC...

After 41 years in law enforcement, UCSC Police Chief Aluffi retires

There are 30 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Nov 19, 2010, titled After 41 years in law enforcement, UCSC Police Chief Aluffi retires. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Arline Aluffi, in typical motherly fashion, was deeply worried. It was the late 1960s and her eldest son, Bill, was set to join the Santa Cruz Police Department.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
How Much

Capitola, CA

#1 Nov 19, 2010
So, is this a doubled pension we're going to pay now? Or triple?

Take Another Puff....get to work and find out for us.

Since: May 08

Pacifica, CA

#2 Nov 20, 2010
Jealous...get a job.
steve carr

Atlanta, GA

#3 Nov 20, 2010
I consider it an honor to know and have worked with
Mickey Aluffi over the years. He is an honorable man and loves his community.

Thank you, Mickie, for your years of dedicated police service and serving our country in Vietnam with the United States Marines.

God Bless you,
Sincerely,

Steve Carr, retired Santa Cruz area peace officer

Whitefish, Montana
LE Friend

Watsonville, CA

#4 Nov 20, 2010
Thank you Mickey!
Congratulations Mickey

United States

#5 Nov 20, 2010
Thank you for your years of service!
Jeff Rockwell

Santa Cruz, CA

#6 Nov 20, 2010
Congratulations Micky, and thank you for all your years of hard work. We'll miss ya!
sebastapol

Santa Cruz, CA

#7 Nov 20, 2010
Employee Name ALUFFI,MICHAEL A
Position CHIEF OF POLICE
Regular pay 141732
Overtime pay 0
Total pay 141732

$140k a year sure is a fair salary.

Californians should be proud that students are paying higher fees and that taxes are being increased to insure that men like Aluffi can enjoy a long, prosperous retirement at nearly full pay.

I wonder if he'll stay in Santa Cruz or run off to Montana.
The thing is

Capitola, CA

#8 Nov 20, 2010
sebastapol wrote:
Position CHIEF OF POLICE
Regular pay 141732
Overtime pay 0
Total pay 141732
Californians should be proud that students are paying higher fees and that taxes are being increased to insure that men like Aluffi can enjoy a long, prosperous retirement at nearly full pay.
He already retired from a different system as deputy chief in Watsonville, and pulls that one too. I wouldn't be surprised if his retirement income is over 200k a year. We need to put a stop to that sort of thing.
Daily Stew

Santa Cruz, CA

#9 Nov 20, 2010
sebastapol wrote:
Position CHIEF OF POLICE
Regular pay 141732
Overtime pay 0
Total pay 141732
Would love to hear about you and your merry band of "jack-wagons" career achievements. Would love to hear how you deserve the same. Tell us about all the times your life was risked, or you dealt with the unthinkable, or the things your mind can't erase at the end of the day. And finally, why don't you all tell us about what you have done to make the community better. Combined, you and other sniveling regular posters couldn't collectively come up with enough to match any public safety person's record, let alone Mickey's.

You see, Mickey actually did these things. He worked hard and dedicated himself to the community...as such, his retirement is a bargain for the service he provided.
all true

Santa Cruz, CA

#10 Nov 20, 2010
Daily Stew wrote:
<quoted text>
Would love to hear about you and your merry band of "jack-wagons" career achievements. Would love to hear how you deserve the same. Tell us about all the times your life was risked, or you dealt with the unthinkable, or the things your mind can't erase at the end of the day. And finally, why don't you all tell us about what you have done to make the community better. Combined, you and other sniveling regular posters couldn't collectively come up with enough to match any public safety person's record, let alone Mickey's.
You see, Mickey actually did these things. He worked hard and dedicated himself to the community...as such, his retirement is a bargain for the service he provided.
That may all be true, but that's still way too much money. We have to pay for those salaries through our taxes, and no one in the private sector, except maybe a few CEO's makes anywhere near that much money.
Ex Liberal

Chicago, IL

#11 Nov 20, 2010
Congratulations on your retirement from a very long and worthy career Chief Alluffi!
Made the front page

AOL

#12 Nov 20, 2010
all true wrote:
<quoted text>
That may all be true, but that's still way too much money. We have to pay for those salaries through our taxes, and no one in the private sector, except maybe a few CEO's makes anywhere near that much money.
It is quite an extraordinary lifetime achievement, 41 years in public service, that is why you made the front page. Congratulations Mickey you served this county well, from one end to the other. Whomever wrote this sniveling statement, should be ashamed. Whatever would you rather have your tax money pay for? You should be thankful we live in a country where the citizens are allowed to support their local governments in exchange for security and safety. When we all contribute a little it does not over burden anyone. And after 41 years of exemplary service his salary does not come close to what a private sector employee would earn in the corporate world. Get over yourself.

Since: May 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#13 Nov 20, 2010
One of the good guys. I hope he enjoys his retirement.

Thank you for your years of service. Good luck, Chief Aluffi, and happy retirement!
41 years of Service

AOL

#14 Nov 20, 2010
How Much wrote:
So, is this a doubled pension we're going to pay now? Or triple?
Take Another Puff....get to work and find out for us.
His retirement will be paid out of the same pot, as it should, probably CALSTRS. It is his total years of service that will be ONE of the determining factors on how much he will retire with. You know, all people have career choices. All people have the right to determine how many years they decide to work and some choose private and some choose public service. All people have the right to plan for thier retirement. All people get to decide if they like what they chose to do for their life's work or if they want to make multiple career changes. With each choice, along the way, all people are allowed to determine the benefits of a career change and how it will affect thier retirement. One thing I know for sure, all people will, at some point stop working for a myriad of reasons. It sounds to me like, maybe you didn't plan ahead for yourself, or that you just didn't make good choices.
Exec Search

Santa Cruz, CA

#15 Nov 20, 2010
all true wrote:
<quoted text>
As a recruiter for both private and public positions, here's my 2 cents.

Actually, being a manager in a police department is similar to upper management in any private sector job. The level of expertise, legal knowledge, liability, public scrutiny and overall responsibility rivals or tops any private sector job. Where else in the "private sector" do you find these skills, plus in inherent danger to self. Add to it the perks of private sector employment to include stock options, company expense accounts, bonuses, and rewards and the overall compensation is nowhere near private sector for the necessary skill set. There are dozens of academic studies that show this to be the case. Do your homework and you will find them.....and no, I'm not going to do your homework for you.

Why should it be a financial disincentive to work in the public sector? Healthy, thriving organizations are the ones that provide the incentives to get the best. I would think we want the best working in areas of such importance.
Over it

Canyon, CA

#16 Nov 20, 2010
41 years of Service wrote:
<quoted text>
His retirement will be paid out of the same pot, as it should, probably CALSTRS. It is his total years of service that will be ONE of the determining factors on how much he will retire with. You know, all people have career choices. All people have the right to determine how many years they decide to work and some choose private and some choose public service. All people have the right to plan for thier retirement. All people get to decide if they like what they chose to do for their life's work or if they want to make multiple career changes. With each choice, along the way, all people are allowed to determine the benefits of a career change and how it will affect thier retirement. One thing I know for sure, all people will, at some point stop working for a myriad of reasons. It sounds to me like, maybe you didn't plan ahead for yourself, or that you just didn't make good choices.
Agreed--all this ranting is getting absurd. Although there are clearly some abuses, the average retirement for a public employee in the United States, is based on the number of years they served, not how many jobs, is $22,000, and it's not like it's given free--they pay their portion--it's deducted out of each paycheck, just like all the taxes they pay--it's almost like they are real people.
sebastapol

Santa Cruz, CA

#17 Nov 20, 2010
Daily Stew wrote:
<quoted text>
We can't afford these bargains. These bargains are going to drive the "rich" people out of California. And then who is going to pay your bills?

Is a jack-wagon like a Hummer?
Local Santa Cruzeen

Santa Cruz, CA

#18 Nov 20, 2010
The thing is wrote:
<quoted text>
He already retired from a different system as deputy chief in Watsonville, and pulls that one too. I wouldn't be surprised if his retirement income is over 200k a year. We need to put a stop to that sort of thing.
I don't see you going out and risking your safety to protect the community for 41 years not to mention dealing with the serial killers in the 70's.
Adm We Knee

Capitola, CA

#19 Nov 20, 2010
Daily Stew wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah right, he's been an administrator for how long? Them paper cuts sure is risky. The cops are all too administration heavy.
Adm We Knee

Capitola, CA

#20 Nov 20, 2010
Local Santa Cruzeen wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see you going out and risking your safety to protect the community for 41 years not to mention dealing with the serial killers in the 70's.
So you're saying he was out on the front line for 41 years? Pulling his gun and being shot at constantly? Physically fighting with people who want to kill him?

If you think that, they've sold you a bill of goods. And I didn't hear of any of the cops being shot at or having to fight one of those serial killers.

Freakin police war stories. Usually a shadow of the truth here in podunk santa cruz.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Soquel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
DBS Lost (Jul '12) Apr 21 Enter 105
News Legacy of labor leader lives on Apr 20 Dododo 5
News Thousands come out to WAMM Festival (Sep '08) Apr 20 Babianna mince 238
News Mysterious door rattling reported in county; ea... (Mar '09) Apr 18 liza 108
News Darrell Flanagan: Watsonville Fire Department s... (Jun '09) Apr 18 Zephyrab 22
Review: Highland Meadows Apartments (Apr '11) Apr 18 RICHARD 1,020
News Father on drugs when he shot daughter, himself ... Apr 18 Sirena 1

Soquel Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Soquel Mortgages