Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated Jun 9, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
What

Beckley, WV

#1 Aug 13, 2011
Who is the best independence football player you can remember? Anyone remember the All-staters? Any of them play college?
None

United States

#2 Aug 13, 2011
I don't think they've had 1st team all staters
Rhodell King

Beckley, WV

#3 Aug 14, 2011
They've had alot on the second team, I know in recent years Sean combs, the coaches boy, Cecil Sargent and Jake justice all made it.. I know they've had a few just not sure on the names
blood sweat and tears

Lodi, WI

#4 Aug 16, 2011
There have been many greats come through independence. To become an all state athlete it takes a whole team to be great. You can't really define a player by the honors he gets. A player should been defined not only by his skill but by his dedication, leadership and work ethic. For example john Moore was once a great player at indy. But do to a tragedy he missed most of his senior year. but he was extremely dedicated and worked harder than anyone. But because he never received high honors he was forgotten.
Tainted

Hilton Head Island, SC

#5 Sep 15, 2011
Mark Nelson and Fred Tystuck were both 1st team linebackers
IHS Football

Pasadena, TX

#6 Sep 19, 2011
there have been a few college players come through IHS Scott Greer, Nick Coleman, Derrick Joyce, and Kyle Viars all played at Glenville State Mike Evens, Justin "Tank" Whitlock played at Concord Mark Cuthbert played at Bethany and Emanuel Green played at Marietta plus a few more i have missed probably
Grey Eagle

Tarboro, NC

#7 Sep 20, 2011
Eric Thomas is by far the greatest athlete to go to Independence. The only time they have had good teams was when kids from the Gulf excelled. The kids from Sophia were pansies and the kids from Coal City were drug addicts. Now kids from all 3 areas are pillbillies
All staters

Beckley, WV

#8 Oct 10, 2011
So who were the first team all-staters? Anyone have a list? Not second team or who 'shoulda' been. 1st teamers only.
yeahitsme

Watertown, WI

#9 Oct 21, 2011
I think Shawn McKinney was one of the best football players at independence :)
Big dawg

United States

#10 Feb 26, 2012
Kyle Viars was first team all state his senior year.
Lineman Rule

Beckley, WV

#11 Mar 1, 2012
Cory Sargent got 2nd team all state thats the last ive heard
wickerbill

Beckley, WV

#12 Jul 20, 2012
probably could have had a lot more if they had a coach. wish cuthbert would retire. should have years ago
Patriotgirl

Oak Hill, WV

#13 Aug 2, 2012
Cuthbert retired..his boys and coach Meece have been practicing the fb players..
GOOD OLD BOY

Beckley, WV

#14 Aug 6, 2012
cuthberts and meece.,.,are a real peace.,.,.,.,.,.,of shit, 1-9 this year,since they have the Mills kid moving up to be a bye-on,thats how they roll,so I give them 1 game,maybe the worst team ever,atleast thats what scotty would say,well he will say,he will still have his hand in the cooky jar,watch, those fundraising --erzzz,the more you raise the more you playz. retire the cuthberts fire meece..... hire someone with nothing other than a desire to win and make Indy football what it could be...
Annie

Beckley, WV

#15 Aug 9, 2012
Oh wow, his boys are taking over! Who cares, they are no better. Indy sucks and always will until the entire coaching staff gets replaced!
GOOD OLD BOY

Beckley, WV

#16 Aug 10, 2012
that is so true.,.,@ Annie.,.,
ex-indy fan

Oak Hill, WV

#17 Sep 10, 2012
Cuthberts do need to go ...get someone in there that cares...I was told that Cuthbert made a comment that he is only there for his paycheck..
Earl

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Sep 11, 2012
I thought you were talking about the Independence, Virginia football team.
Past Indy player

Beckley, WV

#19 Sep 16, 2012
You all want to blame this on the coach, but what you don't realize is good player make a good coach and we haven't had that many great players. How in the world can you say the coaches don't care. If they didn't care would they be up there in the summer working. I myself was 2 years behind his son Mark. That kid worked harder then anyone you act like he got it easy when he played but he never got anything just because he was the coaches son, plus he knows the game. It's so easy to play coach from the stands..
Tank

Houston, TX

#20 Sep 17, 2012
I agree with the former player i am a former player too and i always felt like the coaches cared about us and still do to this day everytime i come back around coach cuthbert will drop what he is doing to talk to me and just see how im doing and as far as doing it for the paycheck are you serious he would make more money for less hours at mcdonalds coaches dont get paid much what people lose sight of is that a high school football coaches job isnt to win games and championships its to mold the young men into good productive members of society and all the coaches i had at indy did just that they helped turn me into the man i am today

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sophia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 56 min Innocent Bystander 57,165
beware 6 hr fangdango 7
that is crazy 12 hr me 1
David Roberts (Sep '11) Sun JCO 23
Uncertified "Chief" of police Aug 28 Mamabear1991 10
Whose Megan and Cody? Aug 26 John 1
Erica Polk (Jul '13) Aug 26 guest 5
•••
•••
Sophia Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••