Somerville 1954...
Silly Rabbit

Since: Dec 05

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Dec 28, 2005
Ah, the year I was born..What a wonderful place it was to grow up.Born on Mechanic Street....moved to South Street...then Somerset Street. A police man on every corner...the litte red fire alarm boxes...Ostro's...the Candy Kitchen...Lorraine's Sweet Shop...Connie's Music....Woody's gas station...Pop Kugler's bike shop...smashing pumpkins at halloween...the short cuts to school through the neighboring yards...Saturday afternoon movies at the Court Theatre.....the trips to the Somerset Shopping Center with Mom and Dad every Saturday morning...the friends....the fun.....tell me, where has it all gone? Why can't a place ever stay the way it was, once upon a time? I miss my home...I miss Somerville...but is it still? Or have I remembered all that I should have long forgotten long ago?
Carlos Anglo

Columbia, MO

#2 Aug 13, 2006
Wow - I had forgotten all that stuff.
Carol

Tucson, AZ

#3 Mar 5, 2007
In October 2006, I went back to Somerville for my 50th class reunion. As with Silly Rabbitt's comments, I concur with all of the memories that started coming back as I walked down Main Street. We were actually trying to figure out which store use to be the Candy Kitchen and found that it is now a home decorating store. One could picture the kids sitting at the tables in both Candy Kitchen and Mauers, which was my favorite place. Don't forget Wald's Drugstore which is still there by the way.....has never been remodeled. Pearl's use to be on the corner along with the Bootery, and Woolworths down the street. It was a shock to see all of the ethnic restaurants that have opened up on Main Street. We had dinner at the Irish Pub down at the other end of town and the food was just out of this world....the best corned beef and cabbage I have ever had. The second shock was the tour of the old high school and then we went on to the 'new' high school to find out that we are now known as "The Villes"....is nothing sacred anymore! That long weekend was certainly a walk down memory lane and after seeing some of my classmates whom I have not seen in over 50 years, made it even better. I hope that when we have our 55th reunion in 2010, that it will be just as memorable as 2006.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hillsborough wants to outsource our EMS services? Feb 11 DonR 1
News Work begins on Manville's South Main Street bridge Feb 10 Joe 1
News Manville gets $3 million to help Main Street pe... (Apr '16) Jan '17 Sam 2
News Manville residents angry over property taxes Jan '17 Sam 2
Save the Bound Brook Hotel Jan '17 lindajbarth 1
News Electrical apprenticeships offered at Branchbur... (Feb '11) Jan '17 chumsky d buck 3
1970's nightclub in BoundBrook by the railroad ... (Mar '10) Jan '17 Wondering 14

Somerville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerville Mortgages