First Prev
of 4
Next Last
ljcmoon

Malden, MA

#1 May 6, 2010
How does the whole registration for school thing work in Everett? I am registering a 3 year old for the pt school thing. Do you have any choice of the time slot? Morning or afternoon? It all seems so unorganized.......
everett

Medford, MA

#2 May 7, 2010
Isn't pre-school full day now?
mom

Everett, MA

#3 May 7, 2010
How about hours if the parent actually works during the day????
MKS

Medford, MA

#4 May 7, 2010
There are 2 sessions 2 1/2 hours am & pm you do not get to choose a time slot and you will not find out till September. It usually starts 2nd week of september.
MKS

Medford, MA

#5 May 7, 2010
mom wrote:
How about hours if the parent actually works during the day????
Really tough if you work probably not worth it. Check out the English school they may have a full day program.
long time Everettite

Cambridge, MA

#9 May 7, 2010
TO EVERETT:

I hope the preschool is not FULL DAY ... Enough that we (i.e., taxpayers) are paying for half day sessions for PRE-K ... If parents wants pre-K schooling, how about they pay a private day care ?? I don't think my tax dollars should pay for these glorified babysitting sessions. Yes, I expect a lot of flack from my comments but that's how I see it ... and enrollment is limited -- not ALL Everett preschoolers are entitled to go to this program - just a select few...
MKS

Medford, MA

#10 May 7, 2010
long time Everettite wrote:
TO EVERETT:
I hope the preschool is not FULL DAY ... Enough that we (i.e., taxpayers) are paying for half day sessions for PRE-K ... If parents wants pre-K schooling, how about they pay a private day care ?? I don't think my tax dollars should pay for these glorified babysitting sessions. Yes, I expect a lot of flack from my comments but that's how I see it ... and enrollment is limited -- not ALL Everett preschoolers are entitled to go to this program - just a select few...
So sorry that you feel that way but I have had my children in the program and I can say that these taecher's are very qualified people and they are much more than babysitter's! I am grateful that Everett has offered this for my children!
mom

Medford, MA

#11 May 7, 2010
is it going to be a full day for 4 year olds ?
long time Everettite

AOL

#12 May 7, 2010
MKS: Yes, this program was offered to YOUR children - all well and good; however, if this program were fair to ALL Everett children (all of them could be in the program) perhaps then I would feel different...I think it is very selective and not an equal opportunity for ALL children....your children could have gotten the same qualified teachers at a private pre-K program - one you had to pay for, not the taxpayers....
MKS

Medford, MA

#13 May 7, 2010
mom wrote:
is it going to be a full day for 4 year olds ?
I doubt it but there is a headstart program you may want to check out.
MKS

Medford, MA

#14 May 7, 2010
MKS: Yes, this program was offered to YOUR children - all well and good; however, if this program were fair to ALL Everett children (all of them could be in the program) perhaps then I would feel different...I think it is very selective and not an equal opportunity for ALL children....your children could have gotten the same qualified teachers at a private pre-K program - one you had to pay for, not the taxpayers....
I am also a tax payer here in Everett so I guess I did pay for my child's pre k
Dad

Everett, MA

#15 May 7, 2010
Why would someone want their 4 year olds in full time school anyway? Don't kids grow up fast enough? Now 4 year olds are out of the house all day long too and the tab is picked up by the taxpayers?? People need to THINK before having kids if you cant care for your own don't have them and have others pay for you.
mel

Malden, MA

#16 May 7, 2010
TO EVERETT:
how about its good for their education and helps them with all day kindergarden that they have to attend no
mel

Malden, MA

#17 May 7, 2010
Dad wrote:
Why would someone want their 4 year olds in full time school anyway? Don't kids grow up fast enough? Now 4 year olds are out of the house all day long too and the tab is picked up by the taxpayers?? People need to THINK before having kids if you cant care for your own don't have them and have others pay for you.
this is so rude what if they had the kid and things changed may people who har really good jobs are unemployed right now and its really not there fault
Professor b_tchslap

Medford, MA

#18 May 8, 2010
TO EVERETT:
Glorified babysitting? Really? You are a selfish, ignorant, rude troglodyte. Of course you should expect "flack" for your comment. If you scream, "I'm an idiot who insults the lifelong profession of others without regard to tact or facts" on a crowded chat board, you should expect a stampede. I sincerely hope you have your own health insurance because, AS A TAXPAYER, I'd hate to think of my tax dollars going toward keeping your brain-dead corpse breathing.
AMCAMX

Malden, MA

#19 May 8, 2010
TO EVERETT:
Get a life.
AMCAMX

Malden, MA

#20 May 8, 2010
The pre-k teachers and there helpers,do a wonderful job, these teachers do wonders with what they have.ANY NORMAL HUMAN WOULD UNDERSTAND WHAT THIS WILL DO FOR YOUNG CHILDREN'S FUTURE. SO AGAIN EVERTTITE GET A LIFE.
long time Everettite

AOL

#21 May 8, 2010
Again, this program is only open to some children....what's fair about that? I do not think a 4 year old needs a fulltime school program. Regular kindergarten is soon enough to start the school years - why rush them out of the house at such a young age? Can't Mom or Dad teach them colors, shapes, a few numbers and letters...here's a novel idea, why not read to them yourself, or an older sibling, grandparent, you know, a family member ??? How about going to the playground to meet other peers?
mom

Medford, MA

#22 May 8, 2010
heard there is going to be a long waiting list for preschool. Anyone else hear this ?
Professor b_tchslap

Medford, MA

#23 May 9, 2010
Again, this program is only open to some children....what's fair about that? I do not think a 4 year old needs a fulltime school program. Regular kindergarten is soon enough to start the school years - why rush them out of the house at such a young age? Can't Mom or Dad teach them colors, shapes, a few numbers and letters...here's a novel idea, why not read to them yourself, or an older sibling, grandparent, you know, a family member ??? How about going to the playground to meet other peers?
A.) The program isn't all day, so shut up. B.) Research shows that preschool is a great advantage to lower income and working class kids during the early years, so shut up. C.) Preschool is not the same as daycare, so shut up. D.) Not everyone enjoys your extended family advantages, so shut up. E.) Trained, caring teachers are NOT babysitters, so shut up.

Basically, shut up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Everett aux police 1 hr WhackerCentral 19
Swan st. Park Stabbing (Jun '13) 11 hr Peter Cheeks 4
Irene Wed Irene 1
Pink Tue Pink Star 2
News Worcester restaurants close as part of 'Day Wit... Jul 25 Darlene 10
Ready weed n opiods Jul 24 Boston drop off 1
The New Somerville Wates of Flesh Yuppies Jul 7 Thad 14

Somerville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance