on the subject of race...

on the subject of race...

Posted in the Somerville Forum

everett

United States

#1 Jun 19, 2012
Where did this go so wrong?

Long before my time,
there was 'white only' this, and 'white only' that,
blacks couldn't get certain types of jobs, or educations.

Those white only laws were (rightfully) struck down,
and not only were people of all races finally allowed to go to any school of their choosing,
blacks were openly encouraged to go to traditionally 'white' schools.

This was all very good, and showed how newer generations of Americans were able to overcome the poor behavior of previous generations.
Bravo!

But what has happened since is sickening.
Firefighter application test scores of BELOW FAILING GRADE being accepted to allow black applicants to first get the job, then receive promotions.
The US Supreme Court said such aptitude tests for advancement were unconstitutional, since they discriminated against blacks.

There are plenty of intelligent blacks,
its possible very few of them want to be firefighters.
That doesn't mean you should reward those that apply, but can't pass the test.
Unintelligent whites that can't score 100 on the test have zero chance of becoming firefighters.
Even a perfect score doesn't mean you'll get a job if they need to up their quotas.

And that is just a single profession.
Minority status is required in most fields from teaching, to construction, to hospitals, and on and on.

We don't reward aptitude, ability, and perseverance anymore,
we reward skin color.

How does rewarding, and giving a free pass due to someone's skin color benefit them in life?
Are blacks better off today than they were 10 years ago?
20 years ago?

Is this working?

I believe in equal opportunity.
The opportunity to apply,
The opportunity to attempt to succeed.

I do not believe in complete equality.

If you work harder than the next guy,
you SHOULD reap those rewards in life.
Black, or White, Hispanic, whatever

Being a certain color does not mean you are automatically right, or wrong.
It does not mean you deserve to pay someone else's share in life
It does not mean you should get something for nothing.
It doesn't mean that one is automatically a racist
And one automatically a victim of society.

Rant off.
racy

Truro, MA

#2 Jun 19, 2012
Well put. I agree that sometimes the Race Card goes too far and, in my opinion, it further demeans people of color. I have many friends of different races and most of them would be insulted to get their job because they are black. They worked hard and want to be rewarded for their hard work. Isn't that the true meaning of equality?
lolz

Boston, MA

#3 Jun 20, 2012
If you go back far enough,
we are ALL African,

so where's MY moneyz?

Since: Apr 08

AOL

#4 Jun 21, 2012
The problem is the Democratic mentality.
Everett Resident

Everett, MA

#5 Jun 21, 2012
Now that we have a black president - it proves a black person can get any job they want.....

We need to do away with affirmative action. I find it disgusting that even if you fail an application test, if you are of a certain color, you get the job -- as one poster said, to fill the required quota....Not necessary any more.....
ShameonU

Malden, MA

#6 Jun 21, 2012
Everett Resident wrote:
Now that we have a black president - it proves a black person can get any job they want.....
We need to do away with affirmative action. I find it disgusting that even if you fail an application test, if you are of a certain color, you get the job -- as one poster said, to fill the required quota....Not necessary any more.....
Oh Ya the City of Everett has hired so many black people, 1 fireman and 2 cops and maybe 1 or 2 at cityhall, Prejudice much, you think you'd be happy after all they speak English and aren't illegal, isn't that what you usually complain about!
stan

Malden, MA

#7 Jun 21, 2012
everett wrote:
Where did this go so wrong?
Long before my time,
there was 'white only' this, and 'white only' that,
blacks couldn't get certain types of jobs, or educations.
Those white only laws were (rightfully) struck down,
and not only were people of all races finally allowed to go to any school of their choosing,
blacks were openly encouraged to go to traditionally 'white' schools.
This was all very good, and showed how newer generations of Americans were able to overcome the poor behavior of previous generations.
Bravo!
But what has happened since is sickening.
Firefighter application test scores of BELOW FAILING GRADE being accepted to allow black applicants to first get the job, then receive promotions.
The US Supreme Court said such aptitude tests for advancement were unconstitutional, since they discriminated against blacks.
There are plenty of intelligent blacks,
its possible very few of them want to be firefighters.
That doesn't mean you should reward those that apply, but can't pass the test.
Unintelligent whites that can't score 100 on the test have zero chance of becoming firefighters.
Even a perfect score doesn't mean you'll get a job if they need to up their quotas.
And that is just a single profession.
Minority status is required in most fields from teaching, to construction, to hospitals, and on and on.
We don't reward aptitude, ability, and perseverance anymore,
we reward skin color.
How does rewarding, and giving a free pass due to someone's skin color benefit them in life?
Are blacks better off today than they were 10 years ago?
20 years ago?
Is this working?
I believe in equal opportunity.
The opportunity to apply,
The opportunity to attempt to succeed.
I do not believe in complete equality.
If you work harder than the next guy,
you SHOULD reap those rewards in life.
Black, or White, Hispanic, whatever
Being a certain color does not mean you are automatically right, or wrong.
It does not mean you deserve to pay someone else's share in life
It does not mean you should get something for nothing.
It doesn't mean that one is automatically a racist
And one automatically a victim of society.
Rant off.
most black dont know how to put out a fire but if you want your car or business burnt then they are the right ones for the job
Racism in EVERETT

United States

#8 Jul 5, 2012
ShameonU wrote:
<quoted text>Oh Ya the City of Everett has hired so many black people, 1 fireman and 2 cops and maybe 1 or 2 at cityhall, Prejudice much, you think you'd be happy after all they speak English and aren't illegal, isn't that what you usually complain about!
There are only 5 or 6 Black teachers at the high school and 2 Asians. At least two White "trash" in the guildance department. Talk about "quotas"?
who is racist

Boston, MA

#9 Jul 5, 2012
Racism in EVERETT wrote:
<quoted text>There are only 5 or 6 Black teachers at the high school and 2 Asians. At least two White "trash" in the guildance department. Talk about "quotas"?
So who is racist?

The administration for not going out and recruiting more ethnically diverse teachers,

the ethnically diverse teachers for not applying here,

or all ethnically diverse people in general who didn't putting themselves through college to become a school teacher?

Do you know of any out of work minority teachers with their Mass Certs?
politics as usual

United States

#10 Jul 5, 2012
In everett its all who you know for jobs. No matter what your character, education or ethnicity, "connection" "payback" or "donations" are the only way around here.
sneaky snake

Malden, MA

#11 Jul 5, 2012
Everett Resident wrote:
Now that we have a black president - it proves a black person can get any job they want.....
We need to do away with affirmative action. I find it disgusting that even if you fail an application test, if you are of a certain color, you get the job -- as one poster said, to fill the required quota....Not necessary any more.....
first off the fact we have a black president has absolutly nothing to do with blacks getting these jobs, get it right affirmative action has been around for a long time, as a matter of fact my son (an army vet) scored 98 on the fire exam,, and the.job was given to a person of color that only scored a78 and this was back in the late 80s do not blame the president for this he did' nt do it
politics as usual

United States

#13 Jul 5, 2012
stan wrote:
<quoted text>your son didnt get the job cause he was dishonorably discharged for sucking a guys cock in a fox hole...
Stan, you must be a moderator in the forum to get away with all you post. Is that the best you can do and all you think about? COCKS and SUCKING? Queer bastard!!
politics as usual

United States

#16 Jul 5, 2012
The Harold has spoken!! Sorry jackass your shock value went out the window ages ago.
I am rubber and you are glue. Whater you do bounces off of me and sticks on you! Nanny nanny poopoo. LMFAO!!
Everett Resident

Everett, MA

#17 Jul 5, 2012
To Sneaky Snake:

first off the fact we have a black president has absolutly nothing to do with blacks getting these jobs, get it right affirmative action has been around for a long time, as a matter of fact my son (an army vet) scored 98 on the fire exam,, and the.job was given to a person of color that only scored a78 and this was back in the late 80s do not blame the president for this he did' nt do it......

From Everett Resident: That is so wrong about the fire exam and your son. Definitely your son should have gotten the job ... Imagine a 20 point deficit on the exam and he gets the job !!!! and being an Army Vet all the more so....

What I meant was this 'affirmative action' needs to be done away with - since a black (or any other race for that fact) can hold the highest job in the land, it just proves there is no need for affirmative action...Whoever is the best qualified should be hired .....

I hope your son is working in a profession of his choosing today...
sneaky snake

Malden, MA

#18 Jul 5, 2012
stan wrote:
<quoted text>your son didnt get the job cause he was dishonorably discharged for sucking a guys cock in a fox hole...
keep it up stan all you are doingis showing how ignorant you are

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Navy Names Ship for a Queer 10 hr Inquisitor 1
Patriot Skateboards 14 hr Neighbor 3
State Rep 2016 Race (Nov '15) 15 hr John Lee 28
Everett Cop Held Without Bail 17 hr disgusted 28
lafayette school 22 hr Elliot Ness 33
310 Broadway Flophouse Wed Zoom zoom 9
News News | 18-Year-Old Shot at Latin Festival, Says... Wed Mr Obama 2

Somerville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerville Mortgages