About to move to Yuma, AZ

About to move to Yuma, AZ

Posted in the Somerton Forum

jai

Conover, NC

#1 Aug 27, 2009
So I have some big concerns, how bad is the unemployment rate there?

I have done some research and it says up to 20% unemployment rate. Which is pretty bad? correct?

I am planning on moving late sept. I would need to find a job ASAP, can be any job to start off with. How hard would that be? would all jobs not be hiring? Or would it be the usual, apply everywhere? and score

Last one is about renting, how much would a safe but cheap apartment be running over there?
Have family there

Grand Prairie, TX

#2 Aug 27, 2009
jai wrote:
So I have some big concerns, how bad is the unemployment rate there?
I have done some research and it says up to 20% unemployment rate. Which is pretty bad? correct?
I am planning on moving late sept. I would need to find a job ASAP, can be any job to start off with. How hard would that be? would all jobs not be hiring? Or would it be the usual, apply everywhere? and score
Last one is about renting, how much would a safe but cheap apartment be running over there?
We just decided against moving there. I had a job lined up for me, but none for my husband who grew up there. His Dad lost his job where he'd been for over 14 years so we felt now wasn't the time to go. Go to IndeedJobs to find jobs, I still get a daily email with jobs there in Yuma and there SEEMS to be several although it would depend upon what you're qualified to do. Good luck! Hope to be there in the next few years myself to join my hubby's family.
i hate yuma

Yuma, AZ

#3 Oct 18, 2009
In order to make it here in Yuma, you have to either be:
1. a relative or friend of a local Mexican
2. a Caucasian with money/status
3. a local Caucasian
3. a person who kisses up to either a Mexican or a Caucasian from here
4. an apathetic person who does not have any dreams, aspirations, goals and doesn't mind gross and putrid stagnation
5. a person who is close-minded, ignorant, vindictive, spiteful and immature
I've lived here for a little over a year, and I have had difficulties with being employed here. I have a college degree and excellent work experience, but that is not what the people are looking for here.
The people here are control-freaks that like to hire someone who they think is inferior to them.
If you show them that you are a person who has strong convictions, good morals, ethics and values and are not inferior to them, then they gang up on you and drive you out the best way they can.
In fact, the people here are extremely threatened by anyone with great qualifications and/or a degree for fear of either being beat out of their positions, or being out-performed, if employed.
Unfortunately, for this exact reason, majority (if not all) the orgs./businesses/companies/sch ools, etc. suffer because the job market is saturated by very "UNQUALIFIED" relatives/friends, etc. who they hire to "DO THEIR BIDDING."
I posted a comment yesterday stating that the people here are ignorant, spiteful, vindictive and very immature; but my comment got deleted due to "hostile language." But I think that the real reason is because THE TRUTH IS BEING SWEPT UNDER THE RUG once again.
Example: a person with a Ph.D. with 14+ years experience tops out at $44,000 in many places here.
PLUS THE FACT THAT THE LOCALS HERE ARE VERY RACIST WHETHER THEY LIKE TO ADMIT IT OR NOT!
jai wrote:
So I have some big concerns, how bad is the unemployment rate there?
I have done some research and it says up to 20% unemployment rate. Which is pretty bad? correct?
I am planning on moving late sept. I would need to find a job ASAP, can be any job to start off with. How hard would that be? would all jobs not be hiring? Or would it be the usual, apply everywhere? and score
Last one is about renting, how much would a safe but cheap apartment be running over there?
bilbo baggins

Yuma, AZ

#4 Oct 20, 2009
I love Yuma, People like the above are better off somewhere else.
donkeyman

Yuma, AZ

#5 Oct 24, 2009
i hate yuma wrote:
In order to make it here in Yuma, you have to either be:
1. a relative or friend of a local Mexican
2. a Caucasian with money/status
3. a local Caucasian
3. a person who kisses up to either a Mexican or a Caucasian from here
4. an apathetic person who does not have any dreams, aspirations, goals and doesn't mind gross and putrid stagnation
5. a person who is close-minded, ignorant, vindictive, spiteful and immature
I've lived here for a little over a year, and I have had difficulties with being employed here. I have a college degree and excellent work experience, but that is not what the people are looking for here.
The people here are control-freaks that like to hire someone who they think is inferior to them.
If you show them that you are a person who has strong convictions, good morals, ethics and values and are not inferior to them, then they gang up on you and drive you out the best way they can.
In fact, the people here are extremely threatened by anyone with great qualifications and/or a degree for fear of either being beat out of their positions, or being out-performed, if employed.
Unfortunately, for this exact reason, majority (if not all) the orgs./businesses/companies/sch ools, etc. suffer because the job market is saturated by very "UNQUALIFIED" relatives/friends, etc. who they hire to "DO THEIR BIDDING."
I posted a comment yesterday stating that the people here are ignorant, spiteful, vindictive and very immature; but my comment got deleted due to "hostile language." But I think that the real reason is because THE TRUTH IS BEING SWEPT UNDER THE RUG once again.
Example: a person with a Ph.D. with 14+ years experience tops out at $44,000 in many places here.
PLUS THE FACT THAT THE LOCALS HERE ARE VERY RACIST WHETHER THEY LIKE TO ADMIT IT OR NOT!
<quoted text>
soooo, whats your point?
just here

Yuma, AZ

#6 Oct 25, 2009
You said you were moving in late september right? Well I hope you have had a good experience thus far. I've lived here all my life and it isn't as bad as many like to say. Yes, entertainment-wise its a bit on the boring side. But there are many job opportunities (compared to other cities). Snowbird season is the worst but once winter is over Yuma is a very nice place. Good luck!
Irish Moss

Sacramento, CA

#7 May 10, 2013
Is there police harassment if you dress not so good, if your Asian, or if you break one of AZ ridiculous laws ? Are people in Yuma 9PM sleepers, hate dogs and fireworks. Do cops pull you over if you have out of state plates, or if you don't look status quo,....ect ?
idiots

New Haven, KY

#8 May 24, 2013
Yuma was the worst place I have ever lived. I have lived all around the country and my 11 years in Yuma were the worst. If you are a mexican it is great. But for anyone else I say run away.
bilbo baggins

El Centro, CA

#9 May 24, 2013
Yuma is a wonderful place to live. We have winter visitors from all over the world. We get along just fine with all other races. The cops are nice and will only pull you over if you are driving around drunk. School teachers, medical workers and farm workers can usually find work at once.
bilbo baggins

El Centro, CA

#10 May 24, 2013
The dress code here for locals is usually tee shirt and jeans. Visitors like to wear shorts so they can send pictures home in the winter time. The women are nicely dressed.
Yuma

Heber, CA

#11 Jun 10, 2013
I moved here 3 years ago, and love it. Coming from California, I noticed right away that people in Yuma are a lot nicer. The air is decent. The cost of living is cheap. Everything is close and easy to get to. As for work, YPIC can help you find a good job. A couple places that come to mind right away though are Allstate (claims office) and AZ Department of Corrections. Both places hire frequently. As for the weather, it's hot, hot, and hot, but the Colorado river flows right through, and we have a new water park that opened last summer. So, it's not bad. Depending on how many rooms you need...for example, a nice 3 bedroom apartment is a little over $900 a month. You can get a nice 2 bedroom for less than $800 a month. Those are the more expensive apartments though. I hope that helps. :)
Sly

Yuma, AZ

#12 Nov 17, 2014
idiots wrote:
Yuma was the worst place I have ever lived. I have lived all around the country and my 11 years in Yuma were the worst. If you are a mexican it is great. But for anyone else I say run away.
You are right, if you are educated and not a Mexican or White person from Yuma, then you will never be accepted. People hire their friends and family on most jobs. Incompetence is the norm in Yuma. The schools are terrible on every level and the private schools are just as bad as the public schools. In my opinion they are raising a bunch of field hands. The young people in Yuma do not appear to have any dreams are desires, except to own a sand toy and have a bunch of kids. This town's population suffers from institutionalized stupidity and ignorance.
Sly

Yuma, AZ

#13 Nov 17, 2014
idiots wrote:
Yuma was the worst place I have ever lived. I have lived all around the country and my 11 years in Yuma were the worst. If you are a mexican it is great. But for anyone else I say run away.
I agree with you. When I first moved here, I thought Yuma was not that bad. However, then my kids start going to school and then I realized what a mistake moving here has been. Anyone who reads this please don't move to Yuma. A town with low expectation of its citizens.
Smart gal

Yuma, AZ

#14 Jul 19, 2015
i hate yuma wrote:
In order to make it here in Yuma, you have to either be:
1. a relative or friend of a local Mexican
2. a Caucasian with money/status
3. a local Caucasian
3. a person who kisses up to either a Mexican or a Caucasian from here
4. an apathetic person who does not have any dreams, aspirations, goals and doesn't mind gross and putrid stagnation
5. a person who is close-minded, ignorant, vindictive, spiteful and immature
I've lived here for a little over a year, and I have had difficulties with being employed here. I have a college degree and excellent work experience, but that is not what the people are looking for here.
The people here are control-freaks that like to hire someone who they think is inferior to them.
If you show them that you are a person who has strong convictions, good morals, ethics and values and are not inferior to them, then they gang up on you and drive you out the best way they can.
In fact, the people here are extremely threatened by anyone with great qualifications and/or a degree for fear of either being beat out of their positions, or being out-performed, if employed.
Unfortunately, for this exact reason, majority (if not all) the orgs./businesses/companies/sch ools, etc. suffer because the job market is saturated by very "UNQUALIFIED" relatives/friends, etc. who they hire to "DO THEIR BIDDING."
I posted a comment yesterday stating that the people here are ignorant, spiteful, vindictive and very immature; but my comment got deleted due to "hostile language." But I think that the real reason is because THE TRUTH IS BEING SWEPT UNDER THE RUG once again.
Example: a person with a Ph.D. with 14+ years experience tops out at $44,000 in many places here.
PLUS THE FACT THAT THE LOCALS HERE ARE VERY RACIST WHETHER THEY LIKE TO ADMIT IT OR NOT!
<quoted text>
You are EXACTLY 100% correct about Yuma...it is the Hellhole of the U.S!! Also, it should NOT even be part of our country since it's so over run by Mexicans that can't speak English, which is common and expected!!!! I visited, saw, and RAN as far away as possible! ALOHA!!
Annie Get Your Gun

Yuma, AZ

#15 Jul 19, 2015
Yuma, Arizona.
The Armpit of the Great Southwest.
DAVID BROCK

Yucca Valley, CA

#16 Aug 16, 2016
jai wrote:
So I have some big concerns, how bad is the unemployment rate there?

I have done some research and it says up to 20% unemployment rate. Which is pretty bad? correct?

I am planning on moving late sept. I would need to find a job ASAP, can be any job to start off with. How hard would that be? would all jobs not be hiring? Or would it be the usual, apply everywhere? and score

Last one is about renting, how much would a safe but cheap apartment be running over there?
you BETTER BE BILINGUAL or YOU WILL BE BLOCKED FROM WORKING HERE .. TOTALLY TAKEN OVER by METCHA LA RAZA
guest

United States

#17 Sep 6, 2016
Well...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News San Luis Fire Department: Nine people hurt in t... Tue Diana 2
Review: Yuma Valley Advanced Pain Management (Mar '15) Apr 23 Azgal 7
News Famed NYC bakery's immigrant workers defy Trump Apr 15 EAGLE EYE1 5
News Marine arrested in slaying of North Texas colle... (Jan '16) Apr 3 Joe Friday 4
News YouTubers claim restrictions targeting gay-them... Mar '17 The Golden Ruler 1
News Pima County sheriff: Deputies aren't immigratio... Mar '17 spytheweb 2
Quartzsite Music Thread (Aug '14) Mar '17 Musikologist 8

Somerton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerton Mortgages