State Police Inspections Target Waste Haulers

Dec 16, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Rocket Courier

State Police Inspections Target Waste Haulers - 12/16/2010 The Pennsylvania State Police placed 211 trash trucks and 21 drivers out of service during a waste hauler enforcement program conducted on various dates in November, Commissioner Frank E. Pawlowski announced recently.

Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Dec 25, 2010

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2010

Judged:

This is a bunch of garbage! ;-) Had to say that! <g>

Really, it is good they removed unsafe vehicles and drivers from the road.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2010

Judged:

Yes, a truckers number one goal is to drive an unsafe vehicle.

It's not about safety, it's about money.

Plum, Purplonia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2010

Judged:

Local-Yokel wrote:
Yes, a truckers number one goal is to drive an unsafe vehicle.
It's not about safety, it's about money.
LOL! Actually, that is the company's goal. My dad used to drive tractor-trailer and some of the stuff they sent him out in was horrible. Brakes and electrical wiring were among the top issues.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2010

Judged:

Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! Actually, that is the company's goal. My dad used to drive tractor-trailer and some of the stuff they sent him out in was horrible. Brakes and electrical wiring were among the top issues.
A proper pre-trip inspection will reveal those problems. If he didn't get them corrected before heading out then he was the problem, not the company. No one forces anyone to drive an unsafe truck.
EX driver of 17 years

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2010

Judged:

What a DUMB #$% OH ya tell your boss the truck is unsafe to go out, Count on it you will not have a job for long . Let alone the money one would lose by sitting in the shop all day or getting stuck in a spare truck thats a bigger pile of junk then the truck you just put in the shop, Just take a little time to go the places trucks hang out and ask the drivers if something was wrong with your truck how would it be taken care of , You'll be shocked to find whats on the road that should'nt be and why it's there, Oh ya and thanks to the DOT who's job it was to protect the drivers and public, But no it's all about hammering the driver who has no say in what kinda of truck is needed for the job there doing or how it should be repaired when needed, The DOT can fine all the drivers it wants, It's still the trucking co and shippers that get what they wanted done and thay don't give a rats $%& who drive it there or how

Plum, Purplonia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2010

Judged:

Local-Yokel wrote:
<quoted text>
A proper pre-trip inspection will reveal those problems. If he didn't get them corrected before heading out then he was the problem, not the company. No one forces anyone to drive an unsafe truck.
This was maybe 25 years ago in NC, and they didn't have inspections like you mention, and they put pressure on everyone. Drive this and get there by the appointed time or get fired. And I saw what went on in the garage. Some were good, but most were a joke. Reminds me of the guy who was working there while baked. During lunch, that guy went into a trailer with a girlfriend, and they smoked weed and had sex. This guy was on the preventive maintenance crew and he was supposed to fuel a tractor. He put the hoses in both tanks and shortly after that drove out, ripping the fuel plumbing out of the garage and wasting maybe 50 gallons of diesel fuel as well as causing pollution. Horseplay was another problem if I remember right. At any rate, they were bought out within the last 20 years.

Plum, Purplonia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2010

Judged:

And a lot of times, it wasn't the truck that was unsafe. If you have assigned or somewhat assigned vehicles, you would know if problems were starting, and if you would have any sense, you'd take care of your assigned vehicle. But what you cannot control a lot of times are the trailers. The load may have to be unloaded and then reloaded in another one, and that costs the company money, so that is where you would run into the pressure and resistance for bringing up problems.

And one situation where my father ran into trouble was about something he was never briefed on but had to learn the hard way. Drivers had to carry "mail bags" to the other plants. That would be all the sales and business information, that plant's revenues, etc. The main company sent the other plants' pay in the mail bags too. Well, when my dad reached one of the plants, he was getting all sorts of questions about a check he knew nothing about. He dismissed one of the questions with a joke, saying he spent it, and that about got him into hot water. Really, the payroll clerk at the main office forgot to send it out, and it was in a locked drawer at the main office. After that, my dad would look through the mail bag to make sure everything that was supposed to be in there was in there and take it up with the dispatch office if it wasn't in there. And this was a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't, because there were later accusations of rifling the mail. He made it clear he was only making sure it was all there so he wouldn't get blamed if anything was missing. Nowadays, I imagine the mail bag is almost obsolete, since payment and memos can all be done electronically.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2010

Judged:

EX driver of 17 years wrote:
What a DUMB #$% OH ya tell your boss the truck is unsafe to go out, Count on it you will not have a job for long . Let alone the money one would lose by sitting in the shop all day or getting stuck in a spare truck thats a bigger pile of junk then the truck you just put in the shop, Just take a little time to go the places trucks hang out and ask the drivers if something was wrong with your truck how would it be taken care of , You'll be shocked to find whats on the road that should'nt be and why it's there, Oh ya and thanks to the DOT who's job it was to protect the drivers and public, But no it's all about hammering the driver who has no say in what kinda of truck is needed for the job there doing or how it should be repaired when needed, The DOT can fine all the drivers it wants, It's still the trucking co and shippers that get what they wanted done and thay don't give a rats $%& who drive it there or how
I don't need to hang out where drivers are, I was one and I never drove a truck I felt was unsafe. I wouldn't have replied to this is I was some desk jockey. I never worked for some rag outfit to start with, I felt I was worth more than that so I worked at companies with good equipment. If I didn't like what was going on, I simply left and drove for someone else. I kept my nose and driving record clean so I could be chose where I wanted to work. I am in control of my life, not some fly-by-night trash hauling outfit.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2010

Judged:

Purple Gurl wrote:
And a lot of times, it wasn't the truck that was unsafe. If you have assigned or somewhat assigned vehicles, you would know if problems were starting, and if you would have any sense, you'd take care of your assigned vehicle. But what you cannot control a lot of times are the trailers. The load may have to be unloaded and then reloaded in another one, and that costs the company money, so that is where you would run into the pressure and resistance for bringing up problems.
I guess if you drop & hook and just thump the tires you can have problems, but a driver should be able to change out lights or adjust the trailer brakes, otherwise he should stick to spotting trailers on some yard.

Plum, Purplonia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 24, 2010

Judged:

Local-Yokel wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess if you drop & hook and just thump the tires you can have problems, but a driver should be able to change out lights or adjust the trailer brakes, otherwise he should stick to spotting trailers on some yard.
You have a point. However, I wasn't referring to simply changing bulbs or using a wrench, a hammer, and a grease gun to adjust the air brakes. What they had were mechanics who used the wrong gauge wire, intentional sabotage, maybe broken leaf springs, leaking air lines, wiring shorts, cross-wiring, etc. And the company would sometimes overload the vans, etc., and you could get in trouble with the law for breaking weight limits. That is not something a driver would know with certainty. They would know if they had a heavy load, but not know exactly how heavy.
Random Comment Guy

Jamestown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2010

Judged:

I get a big kick out of how people talk down on truckers. I am one, and I will never say I have done everything right, but watch the average person leave their house. they never once check their tires, pop the hood or anything. It is a shame there is not DOT inspectors pulling over cars. A car can blow blow a tire and cross the centerline and kill people just as easily as a truck can.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Somerset Discussions

Search the Somerset Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) Mon T Wolf 51,196
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) Mon Eddie Swindell 3,824
PBS coal Jul 5 Coal miner 1
Is GSI Paternity Lab Legit? (Oct '10) May '14 BlackMarketBaby 38
adoption (Nov '13) Mar '14 Keith 3
Mother's Ursina boyfriend charged in alleged as... (Nov '10) Feb '14 Wishing for justice 942
Review: K R Painting Decorating (Jun '13) Feb '14 bmd 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Somerset Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Somerset People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE