Walgreens to buy 32 Drug Fair stores

Walgreens to buy 32 Drug Fair stores

There are 15 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 18, 2009, titled Walgreens to buy 32 Drug Fair stores. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Walgreen Co. has agreed to acquire 32 stores from Drug Fair Group Inc. in connection with Drug Fair's Wednesday Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing, the New Jersey drugstore chain operator disclosed this afternoon.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Chuck

Deerfield, IL

#1 Mar 18, 2009
Walgreens has the money to buy these stores, but layed off 1,000 employees this week.

Real nice, Walgreens!

I won't shop in your stores again.
Jim

Chicago, IL

#2 Mar 18, 2009
When will Walgreen's buy Duane Reade?
PointSpecial

Forest Park, IL

#3 Mar 18, 2009
Your loss Chuck. The laying off of employees, while difficult for those people, is good for Walgreens. The restructuring gets rid of excess waste and allows Walgreens to run more efficiently. It will allow Wags to get through this tough economic times and be better for it.

And it will be cheaper to purchase these already running stores than to purchase land and build new stores.
exa

Niagara Falls, NY

#4 Mar 18, 2009
what they are trying to do us CRUSH the competition. rite aid is done, all that is left is cvs really..they are going to hover around the grey area that the government calles monopolization. i have no problem with that ( been with them for 10 years) the only problem i have is when there is one fat cat on the block, quality tends to go down. whether that means the service to employees or customers remains to be seen.
Gmen

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Mar 20, 2009
Walgreens bought Drug Fair in order to build marketshare in NJ, where they are behind Rite Aid and CVS prescriptionwise.
Cheated

Ewa Beach, HI

#6 Mar 22, 2009
PointSpecial wrote:
Your loss Chuck. The laying off of employees, while difficult for those people, is good for Walgreens. The restructuring gets rid of excess waste and allows Walgreens to run more efficiently. It will allow Wags to get through this tough economic times and be better for it.
And it will be cheaper to purchase these already running stores than to purchase land and build new stores.
OH but cutting MGTS pay is GOOD FINANCIAL BUSINESS? WRONG!!!! Oh, by the way what happened with the purchase of LONGS? I guess Walgreens just chickened out.
Cheated

Ewa Beach, HI

#7 Mar 22, 2009
Gmen wrote:
Walgreens bought Drug Fair in order to build marketshare in NJ, where they are behind Rite Aid and CVS prescriptionwise.
Again, WHAT ABOUT LONGS DRUGS in Hawaii and California? We are and always will be behind CVS because the corporate leadership at Walgreens is so wishwashy.
Gmen

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Mar 23, 2009
You say the corporate leadership is so wishwashy, then you complain about budget cuts and whatnot. The fact is Rein is gone, and now they are taking action to help bring our company back into profit mode that led our stock to split multiple times in the 90s.
exa

Niagara Falls, NY

#9 Mar 23, 2009
i think that rein was absolutely the wrong guy for exploding profits and market domination. i think he was the right guy at the store front level. too nice for what this company is trying to do.... id personally love to see wagner in charge because he is sort of a take no prisoners guy but generally may care for the people who actually make this company go..
.. havent heard so much from mr. wasson but perhaps i am wrong. i think running a store would be easier now then when i was first hired in 99 because it seems as though there is less leeway. with all of these endstands and displays that are corp. mandated, it doesnt matter how they sell.. corp wants what they want......
..........i will say this... i think the days of retiring rich from walgreens is either long gone are far away
wagsmgr

Omaha, NE

#10 Mar 23, 2009
18+ years ago, we were taught to run the stores like our name was on the front. Each of us that runs a store knows what items sell best at our locations. I can understand having the essential ends, but I think the company needs to give us some say in what we have on them, I do not and cannot sell the tide. I would like to be able to switch this to Arm and Hammer a better item for me.
exa

Niagara Falls, NY

#11 Mar 23, 2009
i agree... the 14 dollar tide will only sell when on ad......let me ask u this wagsmgr. do u find it easier or more difficult to run a store since u have much less say in merchandising now than u did. When i started with the company it was all about sales, they didnt care here, since we were trying to build up marketshare.... i also think that they need to kill about 5 or 7 thousand products and open up the number of facings on products.. push more walgreens stuff...... why do we need 3 kinds of canned chili. IN fact, in my cooler, i scrapped half the plano and reset parts of it to my liking based on sales....... guess what, sales are phenomenal in the cooler....
Gmen

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Mar 24, 2009
The fact is...most of our products do not sell well. Walgreens is cutting out the "garbage" in our planos. By doing so, they can keep in stock better and do a better job keeping book inventory's lower, which decreases overhead.

Look at the diaper isle. We carry 40% less diapers, yet our sales are more than ever in that department.
exa

Niagara Falls, NY

#13 Mar 24, 2009
exactly. we are a pharmacy and the fact that my store has one facing of hyd. peroxide is retarded, while star wars light saber hangs on two pegs....it would also decrease overstock which would be nice since they cut hours and there is less man power to fill shelves
phony1123

South River, NJ

#14 Mar 31, 2009
Funny , 11 stores go down no job security for those but just an extended unemployment as per "wonderful" gov. of nj. Employees of the remaining 32 get no benefits no more 401k garbage, way to treat people that have been loyal.
cheated

Ewa Beach, HI

#15 Mar 31, 2009
Carry more Walgreens products hahahahahahaha the crummy warehouse can't even keep us stocked on 8 pack tuff towels. I mean open your eyes everyone. All this company cares about is the numbers. If it costs less to buy and the profit margin is larger then thats what we will push more of. The things people truly shop for and buy wont be stocked or pushed as much if the profit margin is small. When the bottom falls completely out of this house of cards everyone will be wondering ....... "What happened". I'll just smile to myself and think "told you so".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
1970's nightclub in BoundBrook by the railroad ... (Mar '10) Apr 17 Formula4lak 17
Any Gay/Bi Teens In Central NJ or Anywhere in NJ?? (Aug '14) Apr 17 Tall guy 194
Motel 6 Apr 7 Jermey 1
News Adorna-Quabeck Engagement (Sep '08) Apr 2 HELPING 3
Zarephath Christian Church (Sep '13) Mar 29 NWaff 44
Snow Plowing Mar '18 Steve Dagnall 1
News Janarion Grant, Darius Hamilton star at Rutgers... Mar '18 RU man 1

Somerset Jobs

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages