Ask an atheist.
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
TOK

Somerset, KY

#42 Feb 1, 2013
Disraeli wrote:
I have always admired a man who has all the answers. You know that he has studied far and wide to find the answers to questions that have always toubled him.
One knows, however that he has not found those conclusive answers that would put his mind at rest, and so he mouths the most satsfactory evasions thaqt he has discovered, and presents them as TRUTH.
Trouble is, eventually he dies, and that is when the Real Shit happens.
What a wonderful description of atheism. You know who has all the answers? Religious people.
TOK

Somerset, KY

#43 Feb 1, 2013
Except they have their answers without studying far and wide. They have their answers because they were born to parents who were religious, and forced it upon them as a child.

We don't look at a baby and say, "That's a Republican baby," or, "That's a Democrat baby."

That's foolish. The child can't rightfully make the choice for itself, because it doesn't understand anything.

Why then, can we look at a baby and say, "That's a Christian baby," or, "That's a Muslim baby?"

I guarantee you that if you never told children about religion until they were adults, they would laugh at you if you tried to pass it off as little more than fable.
Grey Boxer

London, KY

#44 Feb 1, 2013
TOK wrote:
Except they have their answers without studying far and wide. They have their answers because they were born to parents who were religious, and forced it upon them as a child.
We don't look at a baby and say, "That's a Republican baby," or, "That's a Democrat baby."
That's foolish. The child can't rightfully make the choice for itself, because it doesn't understand anything.
Why then, can we look at a baby and say, "That's a Christian baby," or, "That's a Muslim baby?"
I guarantee you that if you never told children about religion until they were adults, they would laugh at you if you tried to pass it off as little more than fable.
Could you just imagine all the happy children the first time God decided he put to much skin on the tips of males penis and ordered everyone to get circumcised?

Do you know some religious people in Africa circumcise the women, usually with broken glass so that sex is painful and it keeps them from sleeping around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_genital_m...
ummno

Mount Vernon, KY

#45 Feb 4, 2013
hey wrote:
you know that the bible answers everything that you just asked! the bible even explains where islam came from in great detail? if thats what is turning people to athiesm then they couldnt have even attempted reading the bible! i do believe that people will be judged differently from others. i will be judged differently then somebody living in a country that worships a statue but... if they have been open to god then its all on them!! also remember that god is not the problem its jesus that other religions dont agree with!!
You do realize that the Koran was written centuries after the bible..right? Islam=Muhamed as its profit and Muhamed was born centuries after Jesus.
Shoftiel

Chicago, IL

#46 Feb 4, 2013
What is your viewpoint on angels?

Level 6

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#47 Feb 4, 2013
Shoftiel wrote:
What is your viewpoint on angels?
I don't believe in angels.

Angels represent a mechanism for scapegoating the responsibility for evil. Rebellious angels become demons and Satan. Satan becomes the root of evil, instead of God. God is said to be omnipotent, so the responsibility of evil resides in the omnipotent being, not the lower ranking character who is supposedly subject to the power of God. It's a ploy to divert the negative aspects away from God, to make this character more appealing. It makes no sense whatsoever for an all powerful god to need angels or demons or Satan. He can do everything himself, and need not justify himself for bringing about evil, if he is a god of any caliber. It adds support to the claim that the Bible is completely fabricated.
Level 5

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#48 Feb 5, 2013
Why ask, They don't know who I know.
what

Milton, WI

#49 Feb 5, 2013
But yet you Atheist have no proof of no higher power? So it can be argued either way. Scientist have never came up with proof of no higher authority, if so that would end all Christianity as a belief and or religion. The Christian belief has to go by faith, that's all we can go by. Atheist just refuse to have faith. My question to you is, why not believe in something rather then nothing at all? You think we just rott into the ground and turn into fossil fuels? Your body yes, not your souls. Scientist have yet yo figure out what happens to all your energy of your body. It has to go somewhere, whether that's above or who knows. Scientist HAVE proved that there is a hovering energy over a peaceful death, but to a tragic death there is none. Possibly saying your soul my not want to see yourself from a tragic happening. Please don't talk about evolution with apes either because yes, the DNA is nearly perfect, but what Atheist hate to argue about is dog DNA, and rat DNA are also nearly perfect. So evolution is out of the argument. With that said, if you want people to talk about this topic why not talk about it instead of telling them to go get a education lol, because they can say the same thing about your points and views on being a Atheist.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#50 Feb 5, 2013
"But yet you Atheist have no proof of no higher power?"

You have no proof of no Tooth Fairy. Clearly something is wrong with your logic.
what wrote:
But yet you Atheist have no proof of no higher power? So it can be argued either way. Scientist have never came up with proof of no higher authority, if so that would end all Christianity as a belief and or religion. The Christian belief has to go by faith, that's all we can go by. Atheist just refuse to have faith. My question to you is, why not believe in something rather then nothing at all? You think we just rott into the ground and turn into fossil fuels? Your body yes, not your souls. Scientist have yet yo figure out what happens to all your energy of your body. It has to go somewhere, whether that's above or who knows. Scientist HAVE proved that there is a hovering energy over a peaceful death, but to a tragic death there is none. Possibly saying your soul my not want to see yourself from a tragic happening. Please don't talk about evolution with apes either because yes, the DNA is nearly perfect, but what Atheist hate to argue about is dog DNA, and rat DNA are also nearly perfect. So evolution is out of the argument. With that said, if you want people to talk about this topic why not talk about it instead of telling them to go get a education lol, because they can say the same thing about your points and views on being a Atheist.
haha

Milton, WI

#51 Feb 5, 2013
If that's the great logical argument you want to bring to the table I understand completely lol, ridiculous. Tooth fairy, as we know of is a old mythical creature made up for kids in the early 1800's to be happy about losing a tooth for money rather then be upset over it. Don't compare the tooth fairy to the creater of all we know that traces back to the first citizens of mankind.

Clearly you need to take another history lesson based on your 6th grade education level, obviously there is something wrong with you're logic also.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#52 Feb 5, 2013
No, the Tooth Fairy is real. She visited a young girl years ago who later, as an adult, wrote a book about her experience. It's called "Book of the Tooth Fairy." She has preached the revelation to her disciples and it will be shared with the world when the time is right.
haha wrote:
If that's the great logical argument you want to bring to the table I understand completely lol, ridiculous. Tooth fairy, as we know of is a old mythical creature made up for kids in the early 1800's to be happy about losing a tooth for money rather then be upset over it. Don't compare the tooth fairy to the creater of all we know that traces back to the first citizens of mankind.
Clearly you need to take another history lesson based on your 6th grade education level, obviously there is something wrong with you're logic also.

Level 6

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#53 Feb 6, 2013
what wrote:
But yet you Atheist have no proof of no higher power? So it can be argued either way.
There are an infinite number of things a person can propose to exist. I withhold belief about those things unless they can be demonstrated somehow.
what wrote:
Scientist have never came up with proof of no higher authority, if so that would end all Christianity as a belief and or religion.
That would not put an end to Christianity. You provide the reason with your next statement.
what wrote:
The Christian belief has to go by faith, that's all we can go by.
Correct. Faith is a necessity in order to believe in things that are proposed without evidence, or proposed in contradiction to evidence.
what wrote:
Atheist just refuse to have faith.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Faith is an error in judgement.
what wrote:
My question to you is, why not believe in something rather then nothing at all?
I have plenty of beliefs, just no religious ones. I also don't believe in ghosts, the lizard people, or astrology.

I believe in representative governments, secular humanism, generosity...things like that.
what wrote:
You think we just rott into the ground and turn into fossil fuels? Your body yes, not your souls.
What is a soul? Where did that idea come from?
what wrote:
Scientist have yet yo figure out what happens to all your energy of your body.
Are you a scientist?
what wrote:
It has to go somewhere, whether that's above or who knows.
I really don't think you're talking about "energy".
what wrote:
Scientist HAVE proved that there is a hovering energy over a peaceful death, but to a tragic death there is none.
What have you been reading? It sounds like science fiction.
what wrote:
Possibly saying your soul my not want to see yourself from a tragic happening. Please don't talk about evolution with apes either because yes, the DNA is nearly perfect, but what Atheist hate to argue about is dog DNA, and rat DNA are also nearly perfect. So evolution is out of the argument.
The Theory of Evolution underpins all biological science. You can't just dismiss it like I can dismiss Creationism.
what wrote:
With that said, if you want people to talk about this topic why not talk about it instead of telling them to go get a education lol, because they can say the same thing about your points and views on being a Atheist.
It helps, if you're going to criticize something, to learn about it first, so you're not just arguing with yourself.

Perhaps I should have titled the thread, "Ask a Rational Skeptic". My only view on atheism, is that I lack belief in gods. There isn't anything more to it than that. I use rational skepticism every day. It's how I evaluate the world around me. Atheism is just one result of applying rational skepticism.

Level 6

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#54 Feb 6, 2013
haha wrote:
If that's the great logical argument you want to bring to the table I understand completely lol, ridiculous. Tooth fairy, as we know of is a old mythical creature made up for kids in the early 1800's to be happy about losing a tooth for money rather then be upset over it. Don't compare the tooth fairy to the creater of all we know that traces back to the first citizens of mankind.
Clearly you need to take another history lesson based on your 6th grade education level, obviously there is something wrong with you're logic also.
The first religions were most likely based on animals, stars, planets, or dead ancestors. Deities not connected with important real objects are very very recent additions to religious superstition.

Which creator god do you believe in? There are thousands.
Watcher

London, KY

#55 Feb 10, 2013
So do you belive that all men and women make there own destiny or that all actions sre predetermined, or that socitey predicts the actions of a few or all?

Level 6

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#56 Feb 10, 2013
Watcher wrote:
So do you belive that all men and women make there own destiny or that all actions sre predetermined, or that socitey predicts the actions of a few or all?
I think we have a trained will, to do what we have been conditioned to do, following motivations we were either born with or were conditioned with, working within the constraints of the reality presented to us.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
~~*last post wins*~~ (Mar '11) 46 min Red_Forman 15,361
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 46 min Red_Forman 12,799
Word Association (Feb '09) 47 min Red_Forman 12,269
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Bob 153,915
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 7 hr Voyeur 33,200
North McDonalds 7 hr OTG waiter 6
Registered sex offenders in Somerset, Kentucky (Apr '10) 8 hr Weekeewakee 4

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages