First Prev
of 2
Next Last
The Dude

Bronston, KY

#1 Oct 24, 2012
I see some work going on at J Gumbos. Is it closed? Last time I went in there the prices were high, portions small and customers were elsewhere.

Level 5

Since: Mar 12

Blacklick, OH

#2 Oct 24, 2012
The Dude wrote:
I see some work going on at J Gumbos. Is it closed? Last time I went in there the prices were high, portions small and customers were elsewhere.
I thought they were expanding to add a bar. I actually like J Gumbo's pretty well. I didn't think the prices were bad. It's decent Cajun food in a great location. Just wish they would get some drinks and stay open later.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#3 Oct 24, 2012
I heard they were installing a bar area too. I've not spoken to anyone face to face who's been there and didn't like the food. It's Cajun after all, so you'd probably want to know if you liked Cajun cuisine before you went anyway...
(For example, I already know that I don't care for Indian food.(Curry, bleh). So I'd not try a place that served it)...

Not a single person has complained about leaving hungry or that the price was too high.. So I'm going to try it the next time I'm down that way if the time is right for a meal.

The only complaints I've seen are from (gasp) right here on Topix, if you can imagine that..
:)
The Dude

Brownsville, TN

#4 Oct 24, 2012
I've been to New Orleans and the precooked stuff they serve in there doesn't exactly scream the Big Easy. The food isn't terrible but it isn't worth 7.50 a bowl either.

And if you think Indian food is just curries, you don't know much.

Some friends wanted to go there last week for lunch. We got there at noon and had the dining room to ourselves.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#5 Oct 24, 2012
Sorry Dude, I not only don't like curry, I can't stand the smell. So going into an Indian themed restaurant wouldn't be pleasant from my standpoint no matter what I found on the menu. It simply smells like body odor to me. I can't explain it any other way, that's as close as I can come to how it affects me.

As well, I had the pleasure of living in New Orleans for about 6 months not to mention very frequent visits for Mardi Gras before and after that particular job assignment.. My dear friend of 35 years who is 100% bayou born, hard to understand, Cajun, is also a wonderful cook. When we first met I could barely make out a word she said for her accent, LOL. So between the local eateries down there and her home cooked meals, I've had some of the most wonderful Cajun dishes on earth. From day trips trapping our own crawfish in the bayous to heading out at night shrimping on her husbands boat in the Gulf. She can cook the Cajun pants right off of anyone else I know, hands down....

So your insinuation toward what I know or what I like to dine on is, well, it's way off base... I'd not expect to find 100% authentic and freshly made "outside" cuisine of any kind from a quicky food joint in Somerset Kentucky. No more than I would consider Taco Bell to be authentic Mexican dining..
(By the way, I detest Taco Bell but l love Mexican food).

But I'm willing to give J Gumbo's a try. If I like it I'll go back. If I don't I certainly won't whine over a measly 8 bucks spent to find out..

Also back to this threads topic, I did hear they were making a bar area...
Vote Gary Johnson

Tazewell, VA

#6 Oct 24, 2012
The Dude wrote:
I've been to New Orleans and the precooked stuff they serve in there doesn't exactly scream the Big Easy. The food isn't terrible but it isn't worth 7.50 a bowl either.
Yep, mostly over cooked, parboiled rice and bland at that, but then I like food much spicier than most. People used to McDonald's probably think it's an interesting change of pace.

Have they applied for a liquor license?
The Dude

Bronston, KY

#7 Oct 25, 2012
I see the beer license app in the paper today. I guess if no one will eat there maybe they'll drink there.
MMXII

London, KY

#8 Oct 25, 2012
J Gumbo's, in my opinion has been an exercise in futility. Alcohol will not correct the initial mistake--wrong place, wrong time, wrong cuisine. What say you?

Level 5

Since: Mar 12

Blacklick, OH

#9 Oct 25, 2012
MMXII wrote:
J Gumbo's, in my opinion has been an exercise in futility. Alcohol will not correct the initial mistake--wrong place, wrong time, wrong cuisine. What say you?
Once the bar is open, it will do fine. It's the perfect location for that type of thing. I actually like it pretty well, the food and all but Cajun is not for everyone. However, having a bar on that corner that is open after 5 will make all the difference in the world for people who are excited to see some semblance of a social life downtown. Now, if they are just going to be serving beer until 5 and changing nothing about their schedule, yeah, it will not last.
clowning

Somerset, KY

#10 Oct 25, 2012
I have only ate there once (with my wife). I thought my meal was slightly above average. We tasted each others and whatever she got was ok but sorta bland. I want to quantify my statements by saying I don't feel this is enough to judge their establishment. Maybe a little bit over priced. The bar can't hurt and I hope they make it.
tried it

Bulan, KY

#14 Feb 14, 2013
well i finally went and tried it, pretty disappointed, first of all the food was terrible, guess you have to like that type of food, all the food was already prepared and in warmers behind the wall, basically 3 or 4 main foods just served different, and the po boy sandwich, just drunkin chicken thrown on bread, drunking chicken thrown in a bowl, nachos mixed with drunkin chicken, you get the idea, im still belching the nasty taste. Captains Lounge...are you kidding?? I was expecting this large bar with stage and all considering how big the bottom level of old goldenbergs was....you put 20 people in there and there full...what kind of fun you going to have in there elbow to elbow....was really disappointed, please somebody in somerset can do better than this...give us a nice big roomey bar....dance floor and room to move.
hello

United States

#15 Feb 14, 2013
All i know is everytime i go by there its packed may try it eventually been to busy stuffing my face at dd and ol
Yeah

Butler, KY

#16 Feb 14, 2013
I started to try it, but read on the website that almost everything on the menu has MSG in it. Then the whole pre-cooked and reheated thing turned me off.
tried it

Bulan, KY

#17 Feb 14, 2013
Yeah wrote:
I started to try it, but read on the website that almost everything on the menu has MSG in it. Then the whole pre-cooked and reheated thing turned me off.
and thats exactly what it tasted like, reheated food.
Old

Beattyville, KY

#18 Feb 15, 2013
Their food is definitely not cajun, at best mildly creole and almost all rice. It's not worth a return trip.

Make some rice at home and pur a can of campbell's manhattan clam chowder over it. It will be cheaper and taste better
AJoke

London, KY

#19 Feb 15, 2013
The only people going there are going there to drink. Why on earth a decent place with drinks and fresh made simple bar food does not open up I have no idea. Put in a dance floor and have some good music. Would be awesome to have a good American home grown place to visit.
Flapjacks

Somerset, KY

#20 Feb 16, 2013
Open one!
Old

Beattyville, KY

#21 Feb 17, 2013
AJoke wrote:
The only people going there are going there to drink. Why on earth a decent place with drinks and fresh made simple bar food does not open up I have no idea. Put in a dance floor and have some good music. Would be awesome to have a good American home grown place to visit.
Except for the dancing that's Sully's
Level 5

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#22 Feb 19, 2013
Where are the Patrons and Patroness going to park when the Car Show starts up again on the weekend?
All vehicle traffic is blocked off in downtown.
USA

Sheridan, AR

#25 Feb 26, 2013
tables dirty, floor sticky, servers all looking at their smart phones or outside smoking,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 35 min Just Saying 138,026
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 49 min Trouser Cough 26,322
Gas prices 2 hr GOP voter 17
wallpaper 2 hr Hello 2
Empty Building for Rent 3 hr Riley 2
New Bar at Old Sullys Location 5 hr sqrlsgirl 1
Victoria Secret 10 hr Bleh 2
More from around the web

Somerset People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]