can you have a record and work in chi...

can you have a record and work in childcare?

Posted in the Somerset Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
WONDERING

London, KY

#1 May 14, 2010
JUST WONDERING
stars

Santa Clara, CA

#2 May 14, 2010
Depends on what the charges are. If it is assault then no you wont get hired.
umm

Manchester, KY

#3 May 14, 2010
No! Nobody wants someone with "a record" watching their children!
Best bet

Mayfield, KY

#4 May 14, 2010
umm wrote:
No! Nobody wants someone with "a record" watching their children!
I'm with "stars", unless the charges are drug related, assault, or sexually related it's not gonna hurt you. If you just bounced a check or something no one will care. I personally know 3 day care owners and that's how all 3 feel, so "umm doesn't know. They were probably just assuming, and we all know what that does! lol

Since: Sep 07

Somerset

#5 May 15, 2010
You can not have a felony offense, drugs charges, or any pending charges to work in childcare.
Anonymous

Manchester, KY

#7 May 15, 2010
Yes U can! There's a woman that was arrested, even put on house arrest, and has to pay restitution for like 10 yrs that works at the daycare by K-Mart.
stars

Santa Clara, CA

#8 May 15, 2010
Anonymous wrote:
Yes U can! There's a woman that was arrested, even put on house arrest, and has to pay restitution for like 10 yrs that works at the daycare by K-Mart.
What was the charges? Places like that have to do yearly background checks from the state and they check the ''nurse's registry'' to see about abuse charges. Even though it is called nurse registry it encompasses all home/day care and group home workers and nurses.
mee

Somerset, KY

#9 May 15, 2010
no child molesters aloud around children.
ummm

London, KY

#10 May 15, 2010
Best bet wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm with "stars", unless the charges are drug related, assault, or sexually related it's not gonna hurt you. If you just bounced a check or something no one will care. I personally know 3 day care owners and that's how all 3 feel, so "umm doesn't know. They were probably just assuming, and we all know what that does! lol
I figured by having "a record" they meant felonies or whatever, I wasn't thinking about checks. Anyway I know this isn't really child care related but how bout that teacher that got fired a few months ago because the school board found out he had bounced checks in ohio??? I don't see why that would matter
Not So

United States

#11 May 15, 2010
You are wrong stars. That registry only covers RNs, LPNs and CNAs. Ky has no law on the books that cover group home workers or others that have been fired for abuse unless they were convicted in a court of law. Then it's on their background check. It's been in the legislation several times and not passed. How do you think all those staff fired at oakwood for abuse are now working at all the group homes in the area. Some may even be working at daycares with your kids or in their schools.
No trust

Flowery Branch, GA

#14 Jun 12, 2015
I have a question! I was in nc and went shopping with a friend. I am not her mother and did not pay much attention to what she was doing. Well walking out of the store we got pulled over and were asked to go the office. She was carrying my purse , like always, I did not care we were friends. I grabbed my purse and went to the office. They asked if it was mine and I said well yes. They opened it and there was stuff in it mmmm. Now how about that!!! They asked her and she said no but now I am facing everything. They went from a felony to a f larceny. I haven't excepted the offer only bc I want to fight it but it's been over a year and I need to work !!!! My question is if I except the charge to get this crap over can I still get hired back to my childcare job? I am to be a assistant.director and they are holding it for me! With that stop me from getting the job?
No trust

Flowery Branch, GA

#15 Jun 12, 2015
Best bet wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you work at a childcare center with a (f) larceny ? In nc I went shopping with a girl that was carrying my purse and stuffing things in it. We were friends so it wasn't odd to see her carrying my purse. When we were done walking out was another story. I asked for my purse and the mall cop took it asking if it was mine well yes . So she was put in one room me in another. She said no wasn't hers but mine. Some friend ex now! But needless to say my purse my problem! I was hit with misdemeanor and a felony charge. I have been fighting it the last year now and they just offered me (f) larceny and will dismiss everything else. I haven't said yes but after a year not working it's starting to hurt me money wise! I have a position waiting on me at a daycare I worked at as assistant director. I worked there and they love me but ga bright start said being its not a closed case I cannot work. Should I except the offer? Can I work ?
LOVE

Hampton, GA

#17 Dec 16, 2015
No trust wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you work at a childcare center with a (f) larceny ? In nc I went shopping with a girl that was carrying my purse and stuffing things in it. We were friends so it wasn't odd to see her carrying my purse. When we were done walking out was another story. I asked for my purse and the mall cop took it asking if it was mine well yes . So she was put in one room me in another. She said no wasn't hers but mine. Some friend ex now! But needless to say my purse my problem! I was hit with misdemeanor and a felony charge. I have been fighting it the last year now and they just offered me (f) larceny and will dismiss everything else. I haven't said yes but after a year not working it's starting to hurt me money wise! I have a position waiting on me at a daycare I worked at as assistant director. I worked there and they love me but ga bright start said being its not a closed case I cannot work. Should I except the offer? Can I work ?
See as of right now this is what I am semi going through since my case was opened I had to stop working and I closed my case cause my bills. Now I have to stand a court trail just to see if I can go back to work.
Brandon D

Rochester, NY

#18 Dec 21, 2015
You know what , people with felonies -not sex related sickos-but guys & girls who lived the street life-these people aren't the people you should worry about-at least, not the people I know-including myself. I have felonies-white collar crime, stupid thefts & DWI's-and I would never hurt a child. In fact, I raised my own kids, was a stay home dad and was awesome at it-I was proud to do it even though at first I felt like I was a failure because I couldn't get a job because of my record,,,but the people who are dangerous to our children, they're the sneaky bastards with the squeaky clean records that are dangerous! I'm not saying every felon is a great candidate for childcare, but I am saying that not ever felon is NOT. If every felon is pushed aside and society can't accept them, then they have no choice but to go back to what they did..I paid my dues to society, but those of us in my shoes know that that's just something people say-but it'll never be true..unless you fight for your respect and place in society which is what I've been doing..!
Brandon D

Rochester, NY

#19 Dec 21, 2015
LOVE wrote:
<quoted text>
See as of right now this is what I am semi going through since my case was opened I had to stop working and I closed my case cause my bills. Now I have to stand a court trail just to see if I can go back to work.
Yes, you can work. Someone dear to me has larceny-it doesn't matter-it's not going to hurt you. NYS is the worst of all as far as being tough on Providers,,the worst part of that is they have incompetent Investigators who "police" Providers, no real training but a few hour courses so they can go to your house and boss you around-meanwhile they make 9-11 dollars an hour, and you could be making like 75 dollars an hour! And they know it! The more kids you have, the more $ they know you're getting and they're jealous assholes.. My other friend does this business and they're putting them through the ringer but guess what, they are fully aware that Investigators have no true power and cannot take your license away for minute violations, as long as the children are safe, and you're doing your job-let them write you up!! Fix it, move on. And if they harass you like they're doing to my friends, then video record them to protect you...!

Sorry, off topic, I know...I just hate people who abuse their power and try to hurt good people..! If you're a good person, then you'll be able to do what you want to do. Don't let no one stop you from doing what you want to do!
Noviembre30

Levittown, NY

#20 Feb 23, 2016
does a dwi from 2005 stop me from opening a home daycare in New York ??
tell it as it is

Somerset, KY

#21 Mar 4, 2016
HOPE NOT.,.. but look wear UR at !
Brooklyns Mom

Fort Worth, TX

#22 May 2, 2016
Noviembre30 wrote:
does a dwi from 2005 stop me from opening a home daycare in New York ??
I recently applied for a cook position at a daycare in Texas and have a DUI on my record from 2007. I was told my paper work had to be sent to state to determine if I can work around children. It has been weeks and several phone calls to the center and I still do not have an answer.

It seems extreme to me for one DUI..
Has anybody else experienced this? Should I look else where for employment?

FYI: I like the days and hours of daycare and that's why I have held out and waited.
just want to know

New York, NY

#23 Aug 2, 2016
Is it appropriate for a recent recovering meth addict to work as a director of a childcare facility? Not saying this person isn't a nice or neat person but when is too soon to be jumping right back into working with children after losing her own child to Child Services for a few weeks. Is this something you can just turn you head on and hope for the best for all the other children at risk.
Ash

United States

#24 Aug 26, 2016
Can you have felony drug charges and gun charges in the state of Georgia over 7 years old and have a in home childcare

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Scarest or most haunted places in somerset ? (Sep '08) 6 hr RYMs 402
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 6 hr Lorilou 158,012
Server jobs 7 hr Lil sis 1
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 8 hr Hatti_Hollerand 34,731
This or That? (May '11) 9 hr Hatti_Hollerand 2,196
Are You a Victim of Misty Cundiff? 12 hr guest 18
Apartments 14 hr Rent 1

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages